PDA

View Full Version : 10 reasons to never give in.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Manditude
07-12-2009, 09:04 AM
I originally wrote and posted this in the Losing Fat section of the forum but I thought I'd post it here too, as it did good there I figured it might help a few people out here too.

I thought this would be good to write out, and hopefully contribute to if you can think of others.

Everyone, at some point or another, loses motivations or lacks it, let's reminds ourselves anything is achieveable.

1. Why? The one-worded question where all of this began. Whenever you lose focus or motivation, always bring yourself back to the very first time you asked this. Whatever reason you have, is great enough for you to keep going. Don't forget that.

2. You feel you're setting yourself up for failure. You're wrong. You've tried multiple diets which have had short term effects, but in the long run you've only ended up back at square one. This time is different, tell yourself that. Let your past mistakes be nothing but learning guidelines, everytime you try something different you're finding out something new about yourself, don't be put off from previous failure - welcome it then destroy it.

3. Stop focusing so much on the negatives. Bring out the positives and be proud of every achievement made, whether it be big or small the fact of the matter is everything you do affects your goal, so staying awake from the cheesecake, or dragging yourself to go for a run - it all pays off in the end.

4. There's going to be times when you feel progress is going nowhere, that you're eating foods you hate and exercising for long periods of time; and for what? I'm sure this question has ran through many peoples' minds, whether its because they're diet is off or they're stuck at a plateau, it doesn't matter - don't give up! Just because your hitting a hard point doesn't mean you can't soar through it, sit back, evaluate, change. It might take someone 3 months to achieve they're ideal body whilst it might take someone else 3 years. If it's in your heart then it's worth it.

5. Compare yourself against yourself, and no one else. You're not working with their body, you're working on yours, whilst it's good to have an idea of how you want to look, don't go competing with the fitness instructor at your gym. Compete against the person in the mirror because that's what important.

6. Understand. This isn't going to be easy, infact by far frustrating but believe in yourself and you will go far. Set goals that are realistic, not ridiculous. Patience is a virtue, and no matter how many days you wake up feeling sluggish I can bet if you drag your ass to go for a run you'll feel a million times better and refreshed afterwards. This isn't a quick fix, this is something you should adapt into as a lifestyle.

7. You're not alone. You have a huge support group, online or at home, there are plenty of other people trying to achieve the same goals as you, going through the same problems and dealing with the same experiences. Talking to someone always helps, there's a ton of useful information out there from a lot of well respected people. Don't be afraid to ask.

8. Have fun. Look at what you're doing and enjoy it, everytime you exercise you're changing your body. If you're bored of the treadmill jump off and go on the bike, rowing machine, anything. There's endless ways to make working out fun, it doesn't always have to be as grim as some people make out.

9. There's going to be people who won't support you, who'll try to convince you to binge drink out on a friday night or share half a pizza with them and to stop being so 'boring', and yes, it's hard to resist and have enough will power to say no, sometimes its a lonely road when you feel isolated in that manner, but that's what seperates you from them. You should still have a social life and enjoy yourself, have treats here and there, but don't feel forced into anything you don't want to do.

10. Be proud of who you are and what you're doing, of these steps you're taking and sacrifices you're making to become a healthier person. Not only should you be amazed by yourself, but you should remember the people you're inspiring around you. You should think about how you're going to feel once you've achieved your goal/look, and how others are going to look at you when you have. It takes a considerable amount of will power and determination to achieve something great, and to think about when you get to post your 'before and after' photo's which in turn motivates and inspires others to push harder.

If you set your mind to it, you CAN do it!
Never give up

nakedsnake
07-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Great stuff!

9. There's going to be people who won't support you, who'll try to convince you to binge drink out on a friday night or share half a pizza with them and to stop being so 'boring', and yes, it's hard to resist and have enough will power to say no, sometimes its a lonely road when you feel isolated in that manner, but that's what seperates you from them. You should still have a social life and enjoy yourself, have treats here and there, but don't feel forced into anything you don't want to do.

I think I have the most trouble with this one, too many birthdays/holidays/get togethers make it difficult to stick to a diet. Once I get a little taste of the sweets or the pizza, I wanna eat the whole damn thing!

localstommy
07-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Amazing, great post!!! Thumps up. Really helpfull.

Number 9 has the most impact. This journey ends up being us and only us. No one else. In every journey you always have to do it yourself.

queenofswords
07-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Love this, thanks for posting.

ghostofinsanity89
07-12-2009, 12:44 PM
repped,
i find #9 as well, i actually got told i live a boring life cause the only thing i do is sleep,eat,work and workout but i dont really care ha! Im happy of where I am at and thats all that matters.

Naughtie
07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Thats one real motivational post there. I just logged in to BB to read and get charged up by something like this. Thanks a ton gal :)

Manditude
07-13-2009, 02:32 PM
You're welcome :)

Rcoop
07-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah #9 hits home the most, especially being 19 and all, but i've been skinny my whole life and it's never really held me back from anything, but it's not who i feel i am or want to be, if my social life takes a little downfall for a while, so be it.

Manditude
07-14-2009, 06:37 AM
I think a lot of people can relate to #9, being that I'm young the majority of my friends drink and eat out too so when I'm dieting it becomes hard to resist but it's easy if you've got the will power which I think most people do.

micov
07-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow, thanks a lot manditude! This is a great post you've made http://blog-mania.org/cs/w/9.gif

Gabriel01
07-15-2009, 06:45 AM
I think a lot of people can relate to #9, being that I'm young the majority of my friends drink and eat out too so when I'm dieting it becomes hard to resist but it's easy if you've got the will power which I think most people do.

I have a feeling i have seen you some where. are you from AUS ?

Raw_and_vital
07-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Nice post! Really nice post!

davecassin
07-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Thats one real motivational post there. I just logged in to BB to read and get charged up by something like this. Thanks a ton gal http://informationispower.info/banners/img/3499/v09c0708xxuf/happy.gif

Really appreciate it!

#9 really hit it home for me!

MrDANNY
07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
number 9 seems the toughest!

Throwdown515
07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
inspiring post, repped!

SoCalSurf
07-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Very cool post.

I know a couple people I need to share it with. Thank you.

trance__dreamer
07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
I originally wrote and posted this in the Losing Fat section of the forum but I thought I'd post it here too, as it did good there I figured it might help a few people out here too.

I thought this would be good to write out, and hopefully contribute to if you can think of others.

Everyone, at some point or another, loses motivations or lacks it, let's reminds ourselves anything is achieveable.

1. Why? The one-worded question where all of this began. Whenever you lose focus or motivation, always bring yourself back to the very first time you asked this. Whatever reason you have, is great enough for you to keep going. Don't forget that.

2. You feel you're setting yourself up for failure. You're wrong. You've tried multiple diets which have had short term effects, but in the long run you've only ended up back at square one. This time is different, tell yourself that. Let your past mistakes be nothing but learning guidelines, everytime you try something different you're finding out something new about yourself, don't be put off from previous failure - welcome it then destroy it.

3. Stop focusing so much on the negatives. Bring out the positives and be proud of every achievement made, whether it be big or small the fact of the matter is everything you do affects your goal, so staying awake from the cheesecake, or dragging yourself to go for a run - it all pays off in the end.

4. There's going to be times when you feel progress is going nowhere, that you're eating foods you hate and exercising for long periods of time; and for what? I'm sure this question has ran through many peoples' minds, whether its because they're diet is off or they're stuck at a plateau, it doesn't matter - don't give up! Just because your hitting a hard point doesn't mean you can't soar through it, sit back, evaluate, change. It might take someone 3 months to achieve they're ideal body whilst it might take someone else 3 years. If it's in your heart then it's worth it.

5. Compare yourself against yourself, and no one else. You're not working with their body, you're working on yours, whilst it's good to have an idea of how you want to look, don't go competing with the fitness instructor at your gym. Compete against the person in the mirror because that's what important.

6. Understand. This isn't going to be easy, infact by far frustrating but believe in yourself and you will go far. Set goals that are realistic, not ridiculous. Patience is a virtue, and no matter how many days you wake up feeling sluggish I can bet if you drag your ass to go for a run you'll feel a million times better and refreshed afterwards. This isn't a quick fix, this is something you should adapt into as a lifestyle.

7. You're not alone. You have a huge support group, online or at home, there are plenty of other people trying to achieve the same goals as you, going through the same problems and dealing with the same experiences. Talking to someone always helps, there's a ton of useful information out there from a lot of well respected people. Don't be afraid to ask.

8. Have fun. Look at what you're doing and enjoy it, everytime you exercise you're changing your body. If you're bored of the treadmill jump off and go on the bike, rowing machine, anything. There's endless ways to make working out fun, it doesn't always have to be as grim as some people make out.

10. Be proud of who you are and what you're doing, of these steps you're taking and sacrifices you're making to become a healthier person. Not only should you be amazed by yourself, but you should remember the people you're inspiring around you. You should think about how you're going to feel once you've achieved your goal/look, and how others are going to look at you when you have. It takes a considerable amount of will power and determination to achieve something great, and to think about when you get to post your 'before and after' photo's which in turn motivates and inspires others to push harder.

Never give up

this post made me tear up like crazy; really put everything into perspective & is making me even more excited about becomming a personal trainer. yay! =)

Dan O Mac
07-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Amazing post Mandy! It's evident you put a lot of thought into these and I'm sure everyone can take something from them :).

Like most, #9 really hit me. People like to question what they don't understand, but what matters most is that you can look in the mirror and see someone who lives their life on their own terms. Let the haters hate, they likely go home wishing they had a modicum of the self-determination you have.

And #10 is spot-on as well. Nothing worth achieving is going to be easy, and we're all human and will have moments of weakness. That's where your goal comes into play. Visualize where you were when you began, how far you've come, and what it'll be like when you reach your goal. Wield that expectation like a weapon!

rite2bcreative
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
lol i hate to be a copy cat.. but #9 is definitley the one that hits home with me. im vegan and so i get enough people criticising my lifestyle at parties because i dont eat the pizza or cake.. or people calling me high maintenance because its hard to find things to eat at restaurants. thats only escalated since ive cleaned up my diet. sometimes it is hard to deal with, but my main focus has always been and always will be myself.

LoafLegacy
07-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I was about to come into this forum and make a thread about me looking in the mirror and getting frustrated. Working so hard and feeling dissappointed when not noticing immediate payoffs.

After reading through these points I wanna slap myself for even thinking about sitting here and sulking instead of feeling good about the gains I DID make I was focusing on why I wasn't reaching a long term goal in short term time.

Thank you for the thread! I feel better :)

Manditude
07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
I have a feeling i have seen you some where. are you from AUS ?

No, I'm not! :)

inspiring post, repped!

Very cool post.

I know a couple people I need to share it with. Thank you.

Welcome as always :)

this post made me tear up like crazy; really put everything into perspective & is making me even more excited about becomming a personal trainer. yay! =)

Aww, so glad my post could be of any inspiration, I smiled :)

Amazing post Mandy! It's evident you put a lot of thought into these and I'm sure everyone can take something from them :).

Like most, #9 really hit me. People like to question what they don't understand, but what matters most is that you can look in the mirror and see someone who lives their life on their own terms. Let the haters hate, they likely go home wishing they had a modicum of the self-determination you have.

And #10 is spot-on as well. Nothing worth achieving is going to be easy, and we're all human and will have moments of weakness. That's where your goal comes into play. Visualize where you were when you began, how far you've come, and what it'll be like when you reach your goal. Wield that expectation like a weapon!

Dan! Awesome contribution, completely agree :)

I was about to come into this forum and make a thread about me looking in the mirror and getting frustrated. Working so hard and feeling dissappointed when not noticing immediate payoffs.

After reading through these points I wanna slap myself for even thinking about sitting here and sulking instead of feeling good about the gains I DID make I was focusing on why I wasn't reaching a long term goal in short term time.

Thank you for the thread! I feel better :)

Again, I smiled, I'm glad it helped and made you notice your appearance for it's changes as opposed to looking in the mirror and not being satisfied with the slow-progression.

Dan O Mac
07-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Bumping this back up to the first page. Tonnes of views, so I'm sure people are finding it useful.

AlphaBrass01
07-22-2009, 04:29 AM
I agree with making it fun! Too many people make working out into WORK! Yeah, it's hard, but I love it. If I didn't, I honestly wouldn't do it, at least not like I do now.

Gabriel01
07-22-2009, 05:52 AM

This quote right there, its nailed to the point and it sums it all up.

I truly admire your post. Very informative and you are well open minded one how you put a fine detail of information together and passing it on to others.

That is indeed rewarding as i am certain it will help others

God bless you!

Manditude
07-22-2009, 02:55 PM
This quote right there, its nailed to the point and it sums it all up.

I truly admire your post. Very informative and you are well open minded one how you put a fine detail of information together and passing it on to others.

That is indeed rewarding as i am certain it will help others

God bless you!

That's lovely to read, I'm glad it inspired you and others.

Mr.Crack
07-27-2009, 02:44 AM
Marvellous words! It really could help to me and other.

fat_to_fit1
07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
To expound on Manditude's post, which is excellent, I have to emphasize visualization. This topic may not be new to some of you, but completely unheard of to others.

Visualization is when you can see your "ideal self" in your mind. Regardless of what your goals may be, losing fat, building muscle etc., by using your mind to view your body as it would be if everything were perfect, the body will follow and make it a reality.

Try this exercise:

1. Close your eyes and breathe deeply. Relax your muscles from your fingertips to your your toes. In your mind, imagine you were looking in the mirror. Here you will see yourself as you presently are.

2. From here, imagine your "perfect self" starting to take shape. Begin to use your mind to morph the image of your "present self" with that of your "perfect self". Here you will see your abs becoming more defined, your arms harder and more muscular, your back muscles starting to pop when you flex, etc.

3. Continue doing this until your mirror image resembles your "perfect self". Imagine how great and full you will feel having accomplished your goals and living your dream. The feeling you have will, over time, become one that you can turn-on when you are at the gym, writing your meals down, weighing yourself, etc. The power of the mind is so great that you will actually be able to "will" your ideal body to you.

I know that this may seen a bit deep for some people, but believe me it works. I used this method to lose over 165 pounds and I continue to use it as I continue on my fitness journey.

Complete this short exercise each night before going to bed, and each morning upon rising. Over time, it will become second nature and I promise you'll be pleased with the results.

J.Z.

shamroc617
07-29-2009, 11:47 AM
niceee post... def repped... always could use the extra motivation. much appreciated

CJM1123
08-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Great post. Im goin threw a rough patch right now, and its def inspired me to keep fighting.

Thanks

NickMat
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Excellent post. I will never quit. :)

Prodigy92
08-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Number 9 is my lifes story. Its happened so many times. You have to do what others wont to acheive what others dont. So well my friends are fat asses ill work my ass off in the gym.

push_it
08-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Reps :)

Chris542
08-06-2009, 10:08 AM
This really hit home. Thank you

red_cat
08-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Needed this today...reps, for sure.

charliebrown360
08-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Reading this, and watching some documentary on health really helps lol! Awesome post you hit it dead on!

IronOrchid
08-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Never give up
I'll support this one.
Recently, my regular exercises seem to be the only thing I do right in my life. And I have only one life to live.
:)

1983Sherlock
08-18-2009, 01:54 AM
great thread,

printed out and stuck on the fridge!

mitch2147
08-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Great post. Couldn't agree more with #5 and #10.

samsont
08-24-2009, 07:06 AM
loved the post. repped. Love reading this before my workouts.

Apothecurious
08-24-2009, 07:44 AM
repped. This is a great post... I'm glad it was stickied.

fovargoo
08-25-2009, 01:31 PM
BRB currently overloaded on motivation to go hit the gym for a longer response! =P thanks

CSW23
08-25-2009, 03:00 PM
This is very much needed thank you

cardac1138
08-26-2009, 10:14 PM
great post

Candice_B
08-27-2009, 01:41 PM
BRB currently overloaded on motivation to go hit the gym for a longer response! =P thanks

Feel the same, so motivated right now

synister_intent
09-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Thank you so much for this list, I am actually going to print this out and make a poster out of it and post it in my workout room. Thank you again.

Mystiqueskillz
09-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Thank for posting this. It really has helped me. I've been lagging until recently and this has motivated me. Repped.

Assurance
09-03-2009, 08:49 AM
all great advice. thanks.

MadeUnderground
09-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks so much for posting.

I think the hardest one for me is number 4. I'm just so impatient.

Each month feels like 6, and then I feel like I'm not going anywhere but then I check the time and realize its only been a month.

I'm trying to conquer my inner want for instant gratification, so I can stick with this for life.

Inked187
09-13-2009, 01:15 AM
1. i give in and the haters will be winning.
2. i stop trying those who are my comp. will pass me by.
3. giving in is to quit
4. momma didnt raise a quiter.
5. i have to be the best at all i do or i'm wasteing my time.
6. if i slip there is no one to help me up i have to do it myself.
7. all those who laughed and joked years ago now are eting their words.
8. be a role model for my younger brohter and my son.
9. my soldiers want a leader who leads fron the front not in the back and fat.
10. its not a choose in life to quite and give up!

Mike788
09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
thanks me and my will try this kind of thinking from now on.

BlackBarbieDoll
09-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks so much for this....this is great!

wings_unhinged
09-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Great post. Interesting read. No wonder you're absent from the WWE forum... You're helping people be healthy in other forums. :p

You could take out 'friends' and add 'spouse' in #9. My wife and I constantly drag each other down. When one of us is dieting and doing great, the other one tempts with junk food/sweets. It's a vicious circle.

Senecan
09-20-2009, 12:11 AM
good solid motivation right there

MarcGSR
09-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Good post Manditude! It was my birthday last week and since then I took 4 days off the gym to party and celebrate, today I had the idea in my head 'one more day off' then I came on here, read your post and immediatly left the computer on this page and went to work out. Thanks for helping me re-start my routine =)

Mcfaol
09-22-2009, 06:55 AM
number 5 and 1o rlly helped me out! I printed the whole thing and read everyday before going to the gym! reps!

BB2K
09-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Never give up

I love these! Great job OP

Manditude
09-22-2009, 08:03 AM
More than welcome to help you all, I'm glad it's motivated the majority of you!

Keep going :)

Requisite 101
09-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Simply amazing.

I need to post this on my wall or something of the sort.

RiseRfall22
09-24-2009, 05:48 PM
What about people at work? I'm a big guy, but i'm always getting picked on about my weight, and by picked on i mean relentless fat jokes. Every day i have to hear something, from someone about my weight. Funny thing is, i'm one of the smaller guys at work even though I'm overweight. I try to pass it off and laugh and act like i dont care but it really bothers me and makes me lose hope most of the time of gettin back in shape.

monchichi8
09-25-2009, 01:00 PM
great post! as with alot of people on here it seems #9 hits home the most.

ENW
09-25-2009, 01:05 PM
#9 as well.

weight-time5min
10-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Good points made...

I can relate form personal experience, about negativity, support, and comparing myself to others.

It can get quite difficult, at times....Monday I will be talking to a one a one trainer at a fitness studio, getting an evaulation, and after that, I know where I will be, at least for a starting point.

OG Stray
10-21-2009, 11:11 AM

This one alone is inspiring enough. I appreciate this post. I'm looking for ways to motivate myself. It's hard to get the ball rolling when you've never been physically active in your entire life.

user94984100999
10-23-2009, 04:45 AM

Never give upthank you for posting this!!

mexia
10-23-2009, 08:22 AM
There is just too much at stake to give in

user94984100999
10-23-2009, 02:34 PM
There is just too much at stake to give ini totally agree mexia:)

macjack_tank
10-25-2009, 06:49 PM
its like u wrote this list after walkin in my shoes for a week... the exact same things i face....

another reason that recently i've been thinkin about .... (applies for those who believe there's an almighty up there pullin our strings in this world or even those who r follow nature)

our body is temple... when we go to heaven and GOD sees what we've turned the temple into... whats our explanation gonna be??

we can't disrespect our body.. gotta take care of it now...so our health for d future is imp
otherwise natures cuts short our lives with disease...cuz we disrespect our bodies with junk n not caring....

at d same time proper care is rewarded thru life.

macjack_tank
10-25-2009, 07:08 PM
that just turned into a ramble...lol

desertstorms
10-27-2009, 09:20 AM

Never give up

I worked out for about 3 months solid and was going strong before I did what I always did and gave up..... nothing new there..... then one day about a week ago I came across this list, having not worked out for about 3 months and back where I began, and after reading this I imidiatly printed it out and put it on my wall next to my bed, I started working out again yesterday, and don't plan on stopping, a couple of other things happened in my life that made me want to start again but this list was the catalyst that got me off my couch...... All I can say is Thank you, and extremely motivational

shamsuddin
10-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the post

ucla2007
10-31-2009, 12:06 AM
great post!

I especially like #6
Understand. This isn't going to be easy, infact by far frustrating but believe in yourself and you will go far. Set goals that are realistic, not ridiculous. Patience is a virtue, and no matter how many days you wake up feeling sluggish I can bet if you drag your ass to go for a run you'll feel a million times better and refreshed afterwards. This isn't a quick fix, this is something you should adapt into as a lifestyle.

When things get tough, I keep thinking... if it was easy, everyone would do it.

cib0_madu
11-01-2009, 03:28 AM
Some good reasons there, #3 has always been my issue, I see progress, enjoy it for a short while, but then realize where I am lacking, and get caught up in that.

Manditude
11-01-2009, 05:54 AM
I worked out for about 3 months solid and was going strong before I did what I always did and gave up..... nothing new there..... then one day about a week ago I came across this list, having not worked out for about 3 months and back where I began, and after reading this I imidiatly printed it out and put it on my wall next to my bed, I started working out again yesterday, and don't plan on stopping, a couple of other things happened in my life that made me want to start again but this list was the catalyst that got me off my couch...... All I can say is Thank you, and extremely motivational

Keep going, the body is amazing, there's nothing you can't do :)

& you're welcome. :)

XcesarX
11-01-2009, 01:49 PM
great post. #9 i have that problem too.

klaus42
11-02-2009, 01:42 AM
very good thread

Logtrog
11-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Excellent post,

i will never quit

Thanks to you. :)

dalmo
11-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Great post!

A number of them I can relate to, but to be honest joining BB forums is a great help and motivational factor in making sure I continue to get my ass out of bed a 5.45am and hit the gym before work.

I've come and gone to the gym over the years, but the last few months has been a complete turnaround in focus, probably by starting with bootcamp I realised exercising before work is much better for my situation then trying to do it after work.

So yeah, slowly but surely, the results will come!

superpumpjlb
11-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Man, If I could remember all these, every time I want to quit, I know at-least 1 out of 10 will keep me going.

Great Post

beasthousemania
11-07-2009, 09:53 PM
interesting stuff

henh2o
11-15-2009, 11:44 AM
always reread this post when i need a extra boost of motivation to keep going

sidd7
11-27-2009, 04:54 AM
I love this stuff, keep it comming.

RoninHunter
11-27-2009, 06:29 PM
If I may add my personal #1 reason to never give in:
Because I fought my way off the drugs, off the streets, and chin uped my way out of the gutter. When nobody gave me a hand I grabbed onto myself and pulled myself up.

And it's a really long way back down again.

urbangent
11-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for posting these, i rarely visit here, but the motivation threads keep me going haha.

OpolE
12-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks i liked the last 2 especially running through my head 24/7

wesleyan
12-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks thats good stuff right their

majorforce
12-25-2009, 01:37 PM
i cant help but to compare myself to others. when i see people in better shape than myself it makes me workout harder. but then again i look for every possible psychological advantage i can grasp to help keep my motivation at its highest.

djflex
01-02-2010, 07:39 PM
great post op...new to this section but feel a little positive energy could help...thanks man

eazc
01-04-2010, 05:46 AM
good ****

spedfrk
01-08-2010, 07:49 AM
#5 is it! I am improving myself!

LG155
01-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I enjoyed reading this, thanks.

dennyaberg
01-08-2010, 09:43 PM
like i said in another post before i found this one, #9 is tough, my buddys, my gf and her friend are all bout to get together over here and drink, and i was thinking about joining them... but i said no and im sticking to my word.. im still going to hang out but without drinking alcohol.

me and my gf also have a bet going on who can look the slimmest by march, but she is stubborn and agrees to stop doing certain things back such as drinking or smoking cigs, and she insists on doing them a day after, and she thinks i wont lose the weight.. but she will see.. haha. cant wait

alpyneproductions
01-10-2010, 08:22 PM
great post!

Shr3dJunki3
01-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Insane post, like everyone else #9, and I messed up on my diet recently so number 2 as well.

91brett91
01-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Great Stuff

Wombatman
01-18-2010, 08:47 AM
nice thread

queenbeth922
01-23-2010, 11:01 AM
#2 hit me hardest. 5 years ago I did a starvation type diet monitored by a doctor and lost 85 lbs. in 6 months. Happiest I'd ever been, looking awesome. But, as soon as I was off the shakes and back onto regular food I ballooned back to where I started from in less than a year. Since then, almost daily, I have been beating myself up about gaining all the weight back. Looking at my "after pics" and shaking my head. That thinking has kept me overweight and kept me from trying again, because of my "fear of failure". Well, its time for all that to go out the window. Thanks for posting that. I'm sure its one that I will come back to throughout this process.

Masonboi
01-24-2010, 03:04 AM
your right i find it so hard to keep going and to not think "hey i could just have the week off and relax why not". after that i think i failing at this. I need to keep motivated and your right, very helpful thanks for the post m8.

squibbscr
01-25-2010, 06:35 AM
good thread.

amyradelle
01-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks so much for this motivation!

midniteOG
01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
"pain is weakness leaving the body".. cliche i know, yet good

baseketballer26
02-04-2010, 06:01 PM
great post, thanks for these words

nomanogroma
02-16-2010, 07:40 AM
great! I like number 8 - when i go to the gym I always feel like this is something I have to do. when I look at it like having fun, it feels much easier

SapperSkills
03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
cool post

Tuga88
03-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Very good post, like a lot on here #9 is the hardest for me. 21, at uni, lots of parties, girls etc. resisting getting drunk is very hard sometimes :(

LastChance2010
03-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I would have to say the most that hit home was #1, #3 and #9

#1: I lose my motivation VERY quickly and I tend to go back to what I used to do and go right back to square one. The way I now stay motivated is building a support crew where I can talk to people, they talk to me and just be more involved in a healthy lifestyle with other people who are doing the same and I find that being on YouTube, BodyBuilding and other communities that deal with weight loss keeps me motivated where I won't give up so easily.

#3: I tend to focus a lot on the negatives, which gets me to quit all together. Now I just think of how I'm doing now, which is way better than how I WAS doing. My eating has changed, my mindset has changed and my view on exercising has changed. And I'm so happy about all the little changes I make even if it doesn't show on the scale or if it doesn't show on measurements...I feel like I'm changing on the inside little by little and soon I'll be able to do this for a lifetime. And I know that if I keep moving forward I will eventually get to where I wanna be.

#9: Which seems to be EVERYONE'S PROBLEM lol mine pretty much I don't have many friends, I don't go out that often so I have NO problem with people saying "I'm boring" lol in fact the 2 only friends (that I barely see) they want to lose weight and sometimes when they see me losing and doing healthy things, they tend to follow me lol. But my biggest problem is family. I tend to hide from my family because the more I hang out with them, the more subconsciously I'm going back to my ways of eating fattening, sugary, and delicious things that's definitely not good for your health. There's actually a few people which is my dad, my boyfriend's ENTIRE famlily lol they really don't care about eating healthy, so when I'm around them it REALLY gets hard to say no. Especially to my boyfriend's family where since they really don't care they want others to not care too. So I try my HARDEST to not visit as often, but I do eat at their place on holidays - christmas, thanksgiving, new year's....all those good holidays that families can't live without lol

Thanks so much for posting this, it was a good post :D

-J

lavendervirgo
03-04-2010, 09:48 PM

Never give up

This is very good. I will read this everyday! Thanks Manditude!

Bum_Prophet
03-07-2010, 11:28 PM

Never give up

this is very very helpful. i just recently started lifting and this, this is an amazing piece of literature. =] very helpful. thank you!

snik66
03-08-2010, 12:34 AM

This ones my hardest haha ill go to partys/town with mates but ill be sober but probly still have as much fun as them but usually dont eat as much as i usually do. and ruins the weeks diet but ahh well

torquemac
03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
great post...
i was just about to give up...when istumbled upon this..
six pack is the only thing to strive for now,,

arob10
03-13-2010, 09:54 AM
awesome post def #9 is the hardest living with a bunch of guys that like to party makes it kinda tough to stay on track but its def worth it if you can keep it up went from 230 to 214 with eating right and working out since feb going for 190 by summer time

Dupes242
03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Very awesome post

Dfontano
03-17-2010, 02:16 AM
I know sometimes it's easy to feel like slowing down or giving up, but you have to keep pushing yourself. For me, my biggest motivators are focusing on what I love doing the most (bodybuilding, of course) and thinking about my family. I appreciate all that I have in my life and it helps me to keep on going. I always hang around positive people and try to stay away from those who complain all the time. Success is found more in positive people than in negative people. Have confidence in yourself and you'll do well!

supermen710
03-20-2010, 01:17 AM
I agree with you, your saying is so good and usful for me. Thanks.

mrclickman
03-20-2010, 11:49 PM

Never give up

It felt like you typed up this post specifically for me. It's hard to wrap your mind around the fact that there's so many people in my situation, and it's actually heart warming :)

Manditude
03-22-2010, 07:19 AM
It felt like you typed up this post specifically for me. It's hard to wrap your mind around the fact that there's so many people in my situation, and it's actually heart warming :)

This is very true.

Before I even began typing out what it is people can relate to, I was going through a tough point in terms of dieting and losing the last few pounds. So I sat there for a long time and wrote down the hardest thing about being in this situation, I thought about how aggitated I'd get at times when for weeks it'd seem nothing had changed, but then I remembered just how much more energetic and amazing I felt about myself.

So trying to put that across to plenty of others who feel/have experienced the same was a great success - mainly for the reason you stated; "It felt like you typed up this specifically for me."
It actually opened up my eyes in the process to see just how many others can and will relate to you.

I'm glad to anyone it helps.

rukia
03-26-2010, 04:43 PM

Never give up

this is truly inspiring and useful info

the part 8 is i like coz if i dont like the thing that i work up

the motivation is not there and possible i end up stopping doing it

sharpshot85
03-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Excellent post. I will never quit. :)

who is driving i, r u goign to drink alot n. can we leave nowy. have u taken ur bar yet u have tem akll u hav them all therew in your car ah. Do you want half an aderral pill n good cause i took the whole thingk jk i got another half do you want itn. ughk kkk zekiel i lolololollo ahah no i domt like i cant fap to tht. Dude i cant fap at all i feel ya brah, im madd >;). ya preatty much iwant to leave and drink all there boose come at me brah.

marinelli
03-27-2010, 04:46 AM
awesome!

natethelegend
03-27-2010, 10:05 AM
this is a pretty epic thread.

wws41687
03-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I think that #4 is my biggest problem. It always feels that no matter what I do that Im not getting anywhere. I guess that only by sticking to my plans and not giving up that I will start to see results.

DynamiteSaint
03-29-2010, 07:26 AM
This helped me so much! Thank you so much for posting!

blazer326
03-29-2010, 10:06 AM
NUMBER 5!!!!!!!! nuff said.

Dont work against other ppl, (almost like a competative sport that would be) work against you and the weights!!

Just recently thought about this. Ive always compared myself to one guy who is tanner, bigger, cutter, all that nonesense. I found it was holding me back.

jamiemclelland
03-29-2010, 02:35 PM
lvoe the post, like most people #9 is the best. but all 10 are great reasons :D i also live by You have to do what others wont, to achieve what others wont.

1BadSRT
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
They're all really too good to pick just one from!

driftu
04-04-2010, 05:53 AM
just read this...couldn't be any truer! especially competing against yourself...that is perfect advice...thank you

FunkDaddy
04-04-2010, 06:11 PM
8. Have fun.

I think this is one of the most important in terms of making a long-term change in lifestyle and overall health. So many people bitch and moan about going to the gym. I have so much fun in the gym. When I'm lifting and I get into "beast mode" it really actually amuses me because I'm such a soft-spoken guy. I love the rush of hitting new numbers on the weights. I love trying new exercises. I love pushing myself to the limit and coming down from that high.

I use my imagination when I'm doing cardio. If I'm on the treadmill, I might be hiking up a mountain. If I'm on the bike, I'm cycling down a desert road at midnight. It's a break from the daily grind.

FullBoatBilly
04-06-2010, 09:31 PM
even when times get hard, hold it down!

Mikimbin
04-07-2010, 04:06 PM
great help!

rkurashima
04-07-2010, 08:54 PM
I was at an Easter get together with some friends and family when someone I know expressed some concern about me. He started out by asking why I donít drink. I told him that there was a number of reasons why I quit, but mostly because I didnít feel in control of myself when intoxicated and that I had lost some friends to alcohol related incidents. These reasons are true especially wanting total control of myself. I donít look down on others who decide that drinking is for them. I enjoy being around friends and family when they are drinking (most of the time) and I do not fear alcohol. This person who questioned my decision to quit drinking expressed some discomfort in being around non-drinkers. I didnít really understand why. Is it because he feels guilty in the midst of a non-drinker? Is it that he feels critiqued as a drinker by someone sober? I honestly donít know. I donít feel uncomfortable around drinkerís unless they make a big deal about me not drinking. Then this person proceeds to notify me that I had "changed" since I came back from my last deployment. That I wasnít the same. He linked my fitness habits to this change and suggested that perhaps it was a coping mechanism I was using to deal with some PTSD issues. I denied it, but now that I think about it perhaps it is. Are coping mechanisms bad if you use them to your benefit? To this person it seems drinking would be a more welcome activity to partake in versus devotion to fitness. Admittedly I have been exposed to scenes and situations that will haunt me for the rest of my life. I have lost friends to war. These brothers of mine gave ALL to their country. Their friends and family gave just as much. So maybe being devoted to total control and fitness IS a coping mechanism. Call it what you will I love it and hope I never lose this feeling. If I do I wish nothing but pain, misery and discontent for myself until I recover from this lack of drive and motivation in order to regain control. I want to be strong both body and mind to deal with whatever life throws at me. Whether physical or mental obstacles I want to know I am ready. I do not deny that I will be dealing with PTS for the rest of my life, but I donít have the "D" part of this acronym being disorder. I use PTS to my advantage to make me stronger. I donít beat my wife, I donít drown my sorrows in drugs or alcohol, I donít have suicidal thoughts and I donít perform poorly at work. This may make others uncomfortable because itís so foreign to them. How can someone be this dedicated to something like fitness and nutrition, not smoke, not drink and basically not participate in anything unhealthy? Itís not right and somethingís wrong with them. They are not like me or anyone I know. I believe these people really do think something is wrong with us OR they covet our drive and dedication as it is at a level they will not likely attain nor do they understand it. We who live this lifestyle are oddities in a society predominantly filled with weak minded individuals with little to no drive. No fire. They donít understand me or you, but you know what. Thatís ok. I donít do it for them. I do it so I donít become one of them. This IS my coping mechanism.

Demosthenes1
04-14-2010, 06:55 PM
WOW THANKS, I really needed that advice not only to stay motivated but to get my jackass back in the gym and stay consistent. My biggest issue is I go all out for several month 2-3 then fall off for a month and regret it for months after. I always end up telling myself "DAMM if I just stuck with it imaging where I would be now"

Thanks Again

bword
04-15-2010, 08:44 AM
#9 FTW

I can honestly say since starting working out and improving my diet ive never felt better. And I have many friends who binge drink every night and then somehow go to work the next mourning but then proceed to tell me how ****ty they feel lol. Its a vicious cycle and now that im out the outside of it I can really see how bad it really is. If I lose a few friends because I wont go out every night pound back a ton of beers then F em. Theyd rather see you get dragged down with them. Then see you improve your life and well being.

TaKeNoTeSx8
04-15-2010, 08:15 PM
just remember there is someone out there always working harder then you, seems to piss me off and work

Sandiar
04-22-2010, 05:43 AM
good stuff

Beerme58
04-23-2010, 02:25 AM
i dig it

Samantha82
04-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Loving #9 as well! Dugg it!

ironmanryan
04-25-2010, 05:31 PM
good post.. number 4 and 9 really come close to my problems.. im training mma. but as of right now i cant afford to join any dojos.. so im stuck with weights and cardio.. somtimes im left wondering why the hell am i doing this.. i have a great gf.. im pretty strong as it is. im not an ugly guy or anything like that. im spending all my time in the gym. when i was younger i was the party guy.. we partied and drank all the time school nights work nights didnt matter. so ALL of my friends drink and go out and do that thing.. for me to be true to my diet i cant go out with them. im stuck at home alone SO bored just thinking man there living it up right now, and im here watching the same friends episode ive seen 20 times.. it can get very hard.. but i keep at it.. i am a machine.. i am not an avg person.. i train like a freak... sacrifices are made for any gain in life...

dummydam
04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
number 5 was the best......really liked it

graciejjbrazil
04-26-2010, 03:46 PM
your profile picture inspires me...do want

Never give up

vasyafomichev
05-06-2010, 07:54 AM
#7 is great! Get a workout buddy, preferably who had progressed further than you, this will motivate you even more. There is nothing better than being supported by someone you can trust or look up to!

RLINKEN
05-07-2010, 12:37 AM
I love #8 about having fun! IF you arent enjoying what you are doing then why do it?

jesustorresato
05-08-2010, 08:36 AM
i like the response i get from people now..its a real boost to my ego!

BamaBruce
05-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for posting this! I'll make sure to come back to it when I start feeling like I should give up

Full_Power24
05-15-2010, 02:03 AM

Never give up

*claps hands*wow something to live by.

Mr. Awesome
06-05-2010, 04:15 AM

Nobody has to force me to binge drink on a friday night.

Binge drinking is awesome and way more important than any possible downside.

grunmn
06-05-2010, 05:06 AM
Great stuff!

I think I have the most trouble with this one, too many birthdays/holidays/get togethers make it difficult to stick to a diet. Once I get a little taste of the sweets or the pizza, I wanna eat the whole damn thing!

old post, but I am feeling the remorse. A month of doing awesome trying to get down to 8% and memorial day weekend crashed everything. Even 4 days after been eating ****ty compared to my goals. I am sure the carbs are not going to affect me that much. But man it makes you feel lousy when you are on track and derail

supaturk
06-06-2010, 10:41 PM
awesome post

supaturk
06-06-2010, 11:09 PM
great post. working out for me is like brushing my teeth now, its not a chore anymore. its just a way of life

turkoz
06-20-2010, 05:46 AM
good thread, i enjoyed the read :)

Metaethics
06-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Awesome great read =)

TotalGymFreak
06-29-2010, 12:02 PM
meh.. not really motivational, sounds more for girls...
Make one for the guys thats stickied too.

Simbathekat
06-30-2010, 07:59 PM
To expound on Manditude's post, which is excellent, I have to emphasize visualization. This topic may not be new to some of you, but completely unheard of to others.

Visualization is when you can see your "ideal self" in your mind. Regardless of what your goals may be, losing fat, building muscle etc., by using your mind to view your body as it would be if everything were perfect, the body will follow and make it a reality.

Try this exercise:

1. Close your eyes and breathe deeply. Relax your muscles from your fingertips to your your toes. In your mind, imagine you were looking in the mirror. Here you will see yourself as you presently are.

2. From here, imagine your "perfect self" starting to take shape. Begin to use your mind to morph the image of your "present self" with that of your "perfect self". Here you will see your abs becoming more defined, your arms harder and more muscular, your back muscles starting to pop when you flex, etc.

3. Continue doing this until your mirror image resembles your "perfect self". Imagine how great and full you will feel having accomplished your goals and living your dream. The feeling you have will, over time, become one that you can turn-on when you are at the gym, writing your meals down, weighing yourself, etc. The power of the mind is so great that you will actually be able to "will" your ideal body to you.

I know that this may seen a bit deep for some people, but believe me it works. I used this method to lose over 165 pounds and I continue to use it as I continue on my fitness journey.

Complete this short exercise each night before going to bed, and each morning upon rising. Over time, it will become second nature and I promise you'll be pleased with the results.

J.Z.

This is beautiful! I will definitely try it!

retromind
07-08-2010, 01:01 PM

i agree with this, even though they seem to have a big ego as their arms.. we shouldnt judge based on that... i need to hang up more with my gym fellas...

mxblaw
07-10-2010, 03:10 PM
thanks for the inspiration, you've added a bit of fuel to fire my soul

Let me add a no.11:

11. Today could be the last day of my life. I could get hit by a car and die. But in that instance when I get hit, if I lived the way I wanted my life to be, I'll be smiling. Do what's important and do what I love because now's the only time to live!

tate00
07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Wow this was awsome, i like all of them but i'd have to say that number 10 is my fave. Thank you for posting this i'm sure this will help alot of people including myself acheive their goals and succeed in whatever they set out to do. To have a goal you must first have an inspiration.

kebab69
07-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Awsome post man very helpful will rep neone for life If they make a wallpaper with these quotes on it one with like a pick of Zane in the centre and the quotes on the side

afrisbee122
07-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I love this thread. It helps me keep going when I want to quit.

BoostAK
07-27-2010, 01:12 AM
The motivation section keeps me going! Good stuff!

Manditude
07-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Keep fighting for what you want people :-)

MyDenverMint
08-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I view this thread daily. Such a great motivational tool.

saiyandide
08-01-2010, 01:12 PM
This thread helped me feel just a bit better about myself today and I am going to print out these ten reasons and post them at my desk at work to remind myself.

HiddenSource
08-11-2010, 05:28 AM
THANK YOU! number 10 is my fave. repped but i dont know if it will show ? =(

wunabesk8r
08-12-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm new to the motivation section, and this was the first post I read. It definitely brightened up my day, thank you. My fav:

Love it.

makavelicss
08-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Sig. life about achieveing what one wants.

Why would you let someone else tell you it's silly or to do something you dont want to ?

bauerhoc9
08-13-2010, 06:07 AM
wow these reasons won't have me give in

sconr002
08-13-2010, 06:46 AM
everyone is saying #9 is the best one, and I just reread it, and it definately was!

strunkwhite
08-13-2010, 08:22 AM
thisis too true!

Cordifi
08-29-2010, 07:52 AM
I view this thread daily. Such a great motivational tool.

Ditto.

XXHARDBODYXX
08-29-2010, 06:01 PM
I tell you a story, i loved a girl so much and i give in working out. i gain fat,i stopped lighting and realize it wasn't worth it anymore. then i saw the light and it told me not to give in,so now i rebuilding what i lost. i gain more this summer then previous summer. if you give in then you given up on yourself. the reason why you shouldn't give in is because you keep improving your body for the better. once you reach your goal you be proud of yourself.

SlimmJimm
08-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I like how all ten are under my belt already. Feels good bro.

SlimmJimm
08-29-2010, 06:26 PM
I tell you a story, i loved a girl so much and i give in working out. i gain fat,i stopped lighting and realize it wasn't worth it anymore. then i saw the light and it told me not to give in,so now i rebuilding what i lost. i gain more this summer then previous summer. if you give in then you given up on yourself. the reason why you shouldn't give in is because you keep improving your body for the better. once you reach your goal you be proud of yourself.

Hey bro, the same thing happened to me and I came back on top. I will never travel down the road of quitting again, it was a useful lesson. Take a look here.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126586333

NicS1987
08-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Great article

JamJamYea
09-01-2010, 04:13 PM
word up, true dat. you speaketh the truth

Camo86
09-01-2010, 06:02 PM
#5 and #9 really hit hard. Great post.

Dizzyiscrazy
09-05-2010, 04:53 AM

Never give up

I realized i know all this, that why iv been going at it for the last 4 months

Bigsby
09-07-2010, 10:54 AM
#9 happened to me just last night.

I was outside with my girlfriend putting her license plate on her car when my roommate walks outside with his date and the convo went something like this:

roomie: hey man we're going to Jay Black's to eat and drink, you guys should come! (Jay Blacks is a bar & grill close to our house)
me: uhh no thanks.
roomie: why not?
me: I can't eat anything there and it sucks just watching everyone else
roomie: you guys need to come and stop being so unsocial.

(they drive off)

thugfresh
09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
great post!

Manditude
09-08-2010, 04:48 AM
#9 happened to me just last night.

I was outside with my girlfriend putting her license plate on her car when my roommate walks outside with his date and the convo went something like this:

roomie: hey man we're going to Jay Black's to eat and drink, you guys should come! (Jay Blacks is a bar & grill close to our house)
me: uhh no thanks.
roomie: why not?
me: I can't eat anything there and it sucks just watching everyone else
roomie: you guys need to come and stop being so unsocial.

(they drive off)

Remember that life isn't all about fitness either. That, depending on your goals, you can make adjustments to suit your social life. You don't need to be pressured into doing/drinking/eating anything you don't want to; but you don't have to miss out on anything either! It's all about an equal balance, harder to find for some than others.

Perhaps once every fortnight you could go out and have a burger and diet coke with your friends, you don't even need to eat that food. The healthiest option they provide would suit, or you could ask for them to perhaps cook *whatever* you desire to suit your needs.

It doesn't matter who thinks your being petty, or who percieves you as "obsessed", at the end of the day it's an achievement and goal to you, whether or not it is for them. They're happy going out as they do, and you're happy working out. Don't let anyone ever make you feel bad for your life choices :).

Good luck.

dutchgrad
09-09-2010, 07:48 AM

Never give up

Reppity repped

MadMuscleMania
09-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Great Post !
Best motivation for me - getting a new chick :)

dantheman5999
09-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Great advice I'm glad I read it.

Adi1992
09-24-2010, 08:07 AM
great thread man thx!

ecstaticpathway
09-27-2010, 04:11 PM
This is such a great post. I printed it out! :) Thanks!

Andrewm319
09-29-2010, 05:19 PM
The one about not comparing yourself to anyone but they mirror really hit me. I started really working out recently and my friend who's got some genetics on his side and has been working out all summer is now jacked (for a 14 year old, although I don't know you guys' standards :P)
I keep on telling myself that i gotta be like that. this changed my mind

gMac2000
10-09-2010, 05:57 AM
beautiful,
I've been sick , have taken a month off gym, I needed something like this to motivate me for when I get back soon

SRLift
10-14-2010, 06:37 PM
awesome post Manditude...made a lot of progress a few years ago with my weight and fell off the wagon over the past year and a half....glad to say I jumped back into the swing of things and this post is definitely added to the favorites. Thanks for the motivation!

RippedJohn
10-15-2010, 10:08 AM
There's some motivation. Thanks a lot.

backneglection
10-26-2010, 07:54 AM
This is great post. It helps me find motivation when I don't have it, and gets me more pumped when I do. It has its own icon on my phone's home screen.

stevennnjp4
10-26-2010, 05:24 PM
#9 has got to be the best one, everyone has someone trying to pressure them into eating, whether you have a friend that doesn't want to eat what you eat, or you have family that wants you to give in because your diet is affecting yourself as well as them. I make my dinner separate from my parents and family and they don't like it and pressure me into eating all this good tasting food that I will later regret.

I also am a fan of #'s 3, 4, and 5. I compare myself to other people way too much and want what they have. I know if I work hard I can eventually get to the level I want but it's going to take dedication.

Thanks for getting me back into working out, I have been thinking about quitting since I'm not getting great results. This article is a great motivation and I saved it in case I think about quitting again.

JOHN WEBB
10-27-2010, 05:16 AM

Never give up

OUTSTANDING!!!!!! Well said. This gave me more encouragement to push alittle harder.... Thanks a billion!!!!!!! JCW.

yoyoyo20
10-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Nothing tastes as good as ripped feels.

I like this. Happines should come from within. Not them unhealthy foods.

82ndSergeant
10-29-2010, 09:48 PM
lol i hate to be a copy cat.. but #9 is definitley the one that hits home with me. im vegan and so i get enough people criticising my lifestyle at parties because i dont eat the pizza or cake.. or people calling me high maintenance because its hard to find things to eat at restaurants. thats only escalated since ive cleaned up my diet. sometimes it is hard to deal with, but my main focus has always been and always will be myself.

is vegan hard to start???

KulmanB
10-31-2010, 05:05 PM
"Be proud of who you are and what you're doing"

This :)

82ndSergeant
10-31-2010, 08:41 PM

People just don't understand how hard it is when they're maiing unconscious decisions regarding food. Keep at it.

SpartanM20
10-31-2010, 10:09 PM

Never give up

Great Post!! Really good stuff!
Thanks

andoird
11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Great Post!! Really good stuff!
Thanks
well said

scb219
11-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Thank you for writing this and sharing! I'm putting these lines all over my house to keep me going every day!

Manditude
11-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Thank you for writing this and sharing! I'm putting these lines all over my house to keep me going every day!

You're welcome.

All the luck to you, I'm sure whatever your aspiring for you can achieve.

lozo2g
11-09-2010, 06:12 AM
wow
cheers man

moshimoshi88
11-15-2010, 03:26 PM
inspiring...

invalidek
11-17-2010, 06:56 AM

Never give up

Well said ! That for sure is very motivating for me ;) Thanks dude ! I love it when some1 writes something like that, rly keeps me goin'..

cm.fellows
11-17-2010, 08:57 AM

Never give up

This was awesome. I hope you don't mind me printing this out and shearing it with my clients.

alicia88
11-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Great post!!! Thanks :)

mmowbray
11-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Great stuff!

I own a pizza shop! ha ha ha. I can't stand it, and all the drunks from the bars hit my shop because we're open a hour later than the bars let out. I see drunk people looking like **** acting like fools all the time. I guess I get caught up in the "what the hell am I doing with myself" routine questions and feel like my life is going nowhere. That's where I lose motivation. Each week, I clean up the same **** after the same drunk people and wonder when my life may "pick up" and I never used to think that. Working out helps, but I've got to work to pay my bills, so there in lies the problem. Just ranting late at night while I can't sleep. Oh, and dropping the alcohol is easy too. It's the "overall" picture that's getting me pissed off.
Like good ole Aarnold says, "get to sleep and start the day early, nothing good happens late at night."

totty0115
11-20-2010, 03:05 PM
I just want to say thanks for posting this!

Manditude
11-21-2010, 12:52 PM
This was awesome. I hope you don't mind me printing this out and shearing it with my clients.

Of course not, feel free to spread the word.

RomanPrice
11-22-2010, 08:18 AM
number 9 hits home not just for fitness but life itself

fostere1125
11-22-2010, 10:51 AM
"Compare yourself against yourself, and no one else. You're not working with their body, you're working on yours, whilst it's good to have an idea of how you want to look, don't go competing with the fitness instructor at your gym. Compete against the person in the mirror because that's what important."

Thanks for the post!

number 5 really hits home for me. i like the idea that i am my own competition. i can't continue to compare my progress with that of others.

lastaftershock
11-24-2010, 07:38 PM
GOing to print it out and read every day in the morning.

marcusweller
11-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Happy Holidays: this one for the fitness people and anyone who has asked me for fitness advice :-)
Thanks, Vince
Quoted:
What Separates us from them

"So, what are you doing for a living these days?" Bob asked me. We're sitting on the couch at one of those tedious holiday get-togethers, you know, the ones where you're supposed to be nice to family members you never see except during major holidays and funerals. I think Bob is my wife's brother-in-law's second cousin or something.

"I'm the assistant editor and a writer for a fitness magazine," I say. Bob looks at me with a blank expression on his face, as if I'd just told him I sell handmade testicle warmers beside the freeway and was looking to open franchises across the nation.

Blank expression.

"Oh," Bob finally says, "I heard you were, like, one of those bodybuilder guys or something. So, what's that like, you know, working out every day and stuff? I just don't have time to lift weights all day, but I have been meaning to get rid of this beer belly." He takes another sip of beer. "What do you suggest?" Sip.

At first I was a little offended. I wanted to grab him up and say, "You can't tell I'm a bodybuilder?! Look at my ass! Now, if that's not a nice round squat-built piece of sirloin, I don't know what is! You think that comes naturally? I can crack walnuts with this puppy! Wanna see?

Then I realize this just might cause a scene and could cost me several Christmas presents. I was planning on returning any presents I got and using the money to buy a power rack, so I didn't want to jeopardize this gift getting opportunity. I also realized that old Bob probably had a certain preconceived image of a bodybuilder and I just didn't fit that image. Also, I wasn't wearing clown pants, a fluorescent string tank top, a hanky on my head and one of those little fanny packs. And isn't that what real bodybuilders are supposed to wear?

Bob continued to sit there drinking his Natural Light, smoking a cigarette and waiting for an answer, oblivious to the fact that he'd come this close to seeing some serious walnut- crunching ass power. I tried to figure out how I could explain to the average guy what the typical bodybuilder does and why he does it. How could I get him to understand what it is we do, how we feel, how we live? So I took a deep breath and told him something like this:

"Well, Bob, I guess you could use the term bodybuilder if you really need a label for what it is we do. Most of us actually don't stand on stage and compete, though. We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing." Truthfully, it goes far beyond that.

"Let's be honest here. We do it because of people like you, Bob. We look at you sitting there with your gut hanging over your belt and we watch you grunt and groan just getting out of a chair. Guys like you are our inspiration, Bob. You're better than Anthony Robbins, Bill Phillips, Deepak Chopra, and Zig ****ing Ziglar all wrapped up into one. We love it when guys like you talk about not having time to exercise. Every time we see you munching on a bag of potato chips, you inspire us. You're my shot in the arm, Bob, my living and breathing wake-up call, my own personal success coach.

"You want to know what it is we do? We overcome. We're too busy to train, too, but we overcome. We're too busy to prepare healthy meals and eat them five or six times a day, but we overcome. We can't always afford supplements, our genetics aren't perfect, and we don't always feel like going to the gym. Some of us used to be just like you, Bob, but guess what? We've overcome.

"We like to watch 'normal' people like you tell us about how they can't get in shape. We smile and nod sympathetically like we feel your pain, but actually, we're thinking that you're a pathetic piece of **** that needs to grow a spine and join a gym. You smile sheepishly and say that you just can't stay motivated and just can't stand that feeling of being sore. (For some reason you think that admitting your weaknesses somehow justifies them.) We listen to you ***** and moan. We watch you look for the easy way out. Because of people like you, Bob, we never miss a workout.

"You ask us for advice about diet and training and usually we politely offer some guidance, but deep inside we know you won't take our advice. You know that too. We smile and say, 'Hope that helps. Good luck,' but actually we're thinking, 'Boy, it would suck to be you.' We know that 99% of people won't listen to us. Once they hear that it takes hard work, sacrifice and discipline, they stop listening and tune us out.

"We know they wanted us to say that building a great body is easy, but it just isn't. This did not take five minutes a day on a TorsoTrack. We did not get this way in 12 short weeks using a Bowflex and the Suzanne Somers' 'Get Skinny' diet. A good body does not cost five easy payments of $39.95.

"We like it that while you're eating a candy bar and drinking Mountain Dew, we're sucking down a protein shake. You see, that makes it taste even better to us. While you're asleep we're either getting up early or staying up late, hitting the iron, pushing ourselves, learning, succeeding and failing and rising above the norm with every rep. Can you feel that, Bob? Can you relate? No? Good. This wouldn't be half as fun if you could.

"We do it because we absolutely and totally get off on it. We do it because people like you, Bob, either can't or won't. We do it because what we do in the gym transfers over into the rest of our lives and changes us, physically, mentally, maybe even spiritually. We do it because it beats watching fishing and golf on TV. By the way, do you know what it's like to turn the head of a beautiful woman because of the way you're built? It feels good, Bob. Damned good.

"When we're in the gym, we're in this indescribable euphoria zone. It's a feeling of being on, of being completely alive and aware. If you haven't been there, then it's like trying to describe color to a person who's been blind since birth. Within this haze of pleasure and pain, there's knowledge and power, self-discipline and self-reliance. If you do it long enough, Bob, there's even enlightenment. Sometimes, the answers to questions you didn't even know you had are sitting there on those rubber mats, wrapped up in a neat package of iron plates and bars.

"Want to lose that beer belly, Bob? I have a nutty idea. Put down the ****ing beer. I'll tell you what, Bob. Christmas morning I'm getting up real early and hitting the iron. I want to watch my daughter open her presents and spend the whole day with her, so this is the only time I have to train. The gym will be closed, so I'm going out in my garage to workout. You be at my house at six in the morning, okay? I'll be glad to help you get started on a weight training program. It'll be colder than Hillary Clinton's ****** in there, so dress warm.

"But let me tell you something, Bob. If you don't show up, don't bother asking me again. And don't you ever sit there and let me hear you ***** about your beer belly again. This is your chance, your big opportunity to break out of that rut. If you don't show up, Bob, you've learned a very important lesson about yourself, haven't you? You won't like that lesson.

"You won't like that feeling in the pit of your stomach either or that taste in your mouth. It will taste worse than defeat, Bob. Defeat tastes pretty goddamned nasty, but what you'll be experiencing will be much worse. It will be the knowledge that you're weak, mentally and physically. What's worse is that you'll have accepted that feeling. The feeling will always be with you. In the happiest moments of your life, it'll be there, lying under the surface like a malignant tumor. Ignore it at your own peril, Bob.

"Don't look at me like that either. This just may be the best Christmas present you'll get this year. Next Christmas, Bob, when I see you again, I'm going to be a little bigger, a little stronger, and a little leaner. What will you be? Will you still be making excuses? This is a gift, Bob, from me to you. I'm giving you the chance to look fate in those pretty eyes of hers and say, 'Step off, *****. This is my party and you're not invited.' What do you say, Bob? Monday, Christmas morning, 6am, my house. The ball's in your court."

Okay, so maybe that's not the exact words I used with Bob, but you get the picture. Will Bob show up Monday? I don't know, but I kind of doubt it. In fact, Bob will probably take me off his Christmas card list. He probably thinks I've got "too much Testosterone." I think Bob is just stuck in a rut, and as the saying goes, the only difference between a rut and a grave is depth.

The way out of the rut is to make major changes in your life, most of which won't be too pleasant in the beginning. The opportunity to make those changes seldom comes as bluntly as I put it to Bob. Most of the time, that opportunity knocks very softly. What I did was basically give Bob a verbal slap in the face. You can react two ways to a slap. You can get angry at the person doing the slapping, or you can realize that he was just trying to get you to wake up and focus on what you really want and, more importantly, what it'll take to get it.

I doubt you need to be called out like Bob. But maybe you've caught yourself slacking a little here lately. Maybe you've missed a few workouts or maybe you started a little too early on the usual holiday feasting, like, say, back in September. Just remember that the time to start working on that summer body is now. The time to get rid of those bad habits that hold you back in the gym is now. You want to look totally different by next Christmas? Start now. This isn't because of the holidays or any corny New Year's resolutions either. The best time is always now.

Christmas day I want you to enjoy being with your family and friends. I want you to open presents, sip a little eggnog and have a good meal. But if your regularly scheduled workout happens to fall on December 25th, what will you be doing at six o'clock that morning?

That's what separates us from guys like Bob.

Never give up

fboy
11-30-2010, 05:08 PM
thanks bro

Retrotiger
12-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm getting this printed. This is just amazing. I'll be bringing this everywhere since it doesn't only apply in bodybuilding.

Darks006
12-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Had an amazing run in the snow last night. It was freezing but man I love this weather to work out.

Anyway on my way out my mother said I was pretty crazy to go work out in this weather. Of course I know better but it got me to think just how many times people have told me stuff like that:

If it's freezing, I'm crazy to go run outside. If it's raining, I'm crazy to go run outside. If it's windy, I'm crazy to go run outside. If it's hot, I'm crazy to go run outside. If it's 6am, I'm crazy to go run outside. If it's 10pm, I'm crazy to go run outside..

All I could think to myself was that it's pretty obvious who's got the amazing cardiovascular health and who's got all the excuses!

:)

kwalphonso
12-06-2010, 11:20 PM
i like your post, thanks

Damien1990
12-07-2010, 08:45 AM
In on amazing stickied thread!

tjhunt
12-09-2010, 07:38 PM
agreed.

derekftw
12-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Thank you for this - especially number 9 motivates me to not lose it on weekend nights

imightsupriseu
12-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Wow excellent stuff one of best posts I've seen :)

Zemken12
12-12-2010, 11:51 AM
awesome thread, OP repped!

lukyluciano
12-13-2010, 09:39 AM
love it!!

trainerfactory
12-16-2010, 10:54 AM
love love love it

elkhornac
12-20-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm 18 and a lean 170. Ive been lifting hard 4-5 days a week since the summer. I haven't seen the progress or results I've seen others getting. I'm still maturing also. Is that holding me back. I also Jacked 3D and protein. I lift constantly too. What do I do??!!!

KeegansMommy
12-20-2010, 05:46 PM
I am printing this out and hanging it on my fridge!!! Sometimes I need that daily reminder!!

abdulaziz87
12-25-2010, 01:25 PM
9. There's going to be people who won't support you, who'll try to convince you to binge drink out on a friday night or share half a pizza with them and to stop being so 'boring', and yes, it's hard to resist and have enough will power to say no, sometimes its a lonely road when you feel isolated in that manner, but that's what seperates you from them. You should still have a social life and enjoy yourself, have treats here and there, but don't feel forced into anything you don't want to do

^^^^^^^^^^

****ing awesome post

zipperBlues
12-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Great post. Thanks!

bane01
12-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Great post, ive been pessimistic for about a week. Haven't done any cardio or weight lifting. Should get back into it once this snows outta the north east.

IronShane
12-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Motivation just went up 100%

ivysmith1987
01-04-2011, 01:17 AM
thanks for posting, I will never give up.You post have always been a great inspiration to me

Codyyyy
01-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Great Post! Thanks.

aRollingStone
01-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Great post. Take what ever your idea and run with it. If your passionate about it then that's all that matters.

Terrano
01-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Great stuff! Might be a good idea to print this out indd, together with every other available piece of motivation out there! \o/

yogaworkouthq
01-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Wow... thanks for putting all these things up for us. Nice insights!

frederickbenny
01-11-2011, 08:01 AM
awesome!!!

PUCK93
01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
What

a

post!!!

etherealgirl
01-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Thank you OP, beautifully written.

Fachh
01-17-2011, 03:24 AM
word!
thanks!

snako3000
01-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Very well said.

WillSquat4Money
01-28-2011, 02:59 PM
very motivational, puts things in perspective. Always helps me remember why i decided to live this crazy lifestyle in the first place. I enjoy the challenge!

60Plus
01-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Motivation and Inspiration are what we all need at times, in order to not give up our quest...

Never give up

Challos
01-30-2011, 03:55 AM
Yeah! Number 9 is the hardest i have to agree, birthday party, have a slice of cake, go to a family gathering, eat alot. Takes alot of courage to say no..

dolophan
02-03-2011, 07:10 AM
epic thread!

jackdaniels11
02-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Pure awesomeness. Thank you bro

adelg88
02-08-2011, 05:50 PM
good stuff! staying motivated has always be hard for me

rajvohra
02-11-2011, 07:55 AM
I have to say this is a great list of motivating topics. I will be honest - at times the hardest thing for me is staying motivated. I love reading threads like this cause I realize I am not alone.

Raidmax
02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
This really motivates me :)
thanks

tutu2
02-13-2011, 09:04 AM
thanks for the motivation

RED13X
02-15-2011, 06:23 PM
This is all great!

oddey
02-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Amazing...I just got into lifting about 3 and a half weeks ago and I'm constantly looking for something to keep me going and this is perfect.

AcerRex
02-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Good thread, great reasons

grantashley
02-22-2011, 01:21 AM
Such a good write up! Great motivation!

I think everyone can relate to what you say, not only if it is to lose weight, gain muscle or to stop smoking or to study or apply for a job.
You'll always find people who dont support you or moments when u think u are waisting your time.
But in the end, those difficult moments make u appreciate the final outcome!

Cant wait to hit the gym a sweet til I drop! Feel the tear of the muscle!!

ladymystique
02-23-2011, 11:16 AM

This has been one thing that I have had to overcome, and once I took control of it i saw the results finaly come. I have much less of a social life now because I choose not to binge drink and eat junk after but I try to look at the overall long term affects, the influences I was surrownding myself with and my health. If I have an occasional drink, its vodka with water or pineaple juice and sticking to my diet.