PDA

View Full Version : Unrealistic Expectations?

NurseRatchet
07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Does anyone else ever wonder if they will ever be perfectly satisfied with their body? Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of how far I have come and the accomplishments that I have made, but at the same time I feel like I'm comparing myself to fitness models - and while that does motivate me and push me to work harder, I wonder if I am setting myself up for disappointment.

I didn't go into this lifestyle with a goal of competing, but with a goal of having the physique of someone who could. I just wonder if keeping that "perfect body" image as a motivating force is too much, and could cause me to become disappointed and frustrated.

While I eat very clean and am in a calorie deficit probably 80% of the time, and workout 6x/week (doing the P90x system right now), there still are days during the week when I'll have a few glasses of wine, or a couple cheat meals a week. Is it unrealistic to think that I can continue to improve without making the sacrifice of giving up my social life (and the cheats that go along with that)?

My boyfriend and I were having this conversation last night, and he said I need to change my goal of having a "perfect body" and instead focus on improving other things (how much weight i lift, my reps, interval speeds, etc). He said that I'm not going to have that "perfect body" unless I were to stick to a perfect diet 100% of the time. He is very proud of me and feels like I should be very happy with my body, which I am, but at the same time I feel like I will always find something that I think needs improving. Part of me does feel like I can continue to make gains, it just might be slower than if I was eating clean 100% of the time. Am I being unrealistic?

UCFBuilder
07-08-2009, 03:58 PM
what ur boyfriend told u is good advice....MOST if not ALL of the people u see in those magazines are days away from some competition or photoshoot...trust me...they do not keep those bodies all year long...and for the most part..they are all "enhanced"....dont be so hard on yourself...u look great...no need to give up your social life..eat have fun..and give it everything u have when u work out...ull be fine...I actually think thats the fun part about bodybuilding...knowing that ull never be happy and ull always want to change something...to me that means that i have found something for life...how many people can say that they have found something they truly enjoy to do..especially something that allows u to change YOUR body at any moment...i think thats cool as hell...makes waking up every morning enjoyable cause u will always have some goal to achieve..never a dull moment

Nainoa
07-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Does anyone else ever wonder if they will ever be perfectly satisfied with their body? Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of how far I have come and the accomplishments that I have made, but at the same time I feel like I'm comparing myself to fitness models - and while that does motivate me and push me to work harder, I wonder if I am setting myself up for disappointment.

I didn't go into this lifestyle with a goal of competing, but with a goal of having the physique of someone who could. I just wonder if keeping that "perfect body" image as a motivating force is too much, and could cause me to become disappointed and frustrated.

While I eat very clean and am in a calorie deficit probably 80% of the time, and workout 6x/week (doing the P90x system right now), there still are days during the week when I'll have a few glasses of wine, or a couple cheat meals a week. Is it unrealistic to think that I can continue to improve without making the sacrifice of giving up my social life (and the cheats that go along with that)?

My boyfriend and I were having this conversation last night, and he said I need to change my goal of having a "perfect body" and instead focus on improving other things (how much weight i lift, my reps, interval speeds, etc). He said that I'm not going to have that "perfect body" unless I were to stick to a perfect diet 100% of the time. He is very proud of me and feels like I should be very happy with my body, which I am, but at the same time I feel like I will always find something that I think needs improving. Part of me does feel like I can continue to make gains, it just might be slower than if I was eating clean 100% of the time. Am I being unrealistic?

No Offense... But I think you're looking at it the wrong way...

To give you an insight as to why I lift...

I live my life by many "Initiatives" personal challenges I make to myself to improve the quality of my life.

My #1 Initiative is also the title of the book I'm writing "Living Forward."

Every single day I wake up, I am mindful to find something about myself, some skill, some ability, some piece of knowledge, some understanding of wisdom, some point of personal power...

And I try to improve that thing by a fraction of 1%.

Lifting and Exercise in general... Is a great way for me to meet this Fraction of 1% goal, on those days when hey... You just can't be a cerebral brainac!

On the scale of a single day... A fraction of 1% improvement at something is piddly.

Add all those fractions up over the course of a decade... And you revolutionize the way you look at, and live your life.

So I say "Don't look at it as what you want to look like in the future... Look at it as what you want to do while you're focused on making progress in the present!"

beancntr
07-09-2009, 02:59 PM
what ur boyfriend told u is good advice....MOST if not ALL of the people u see in those magazines are days away from some competition or photoshoot...trust me...they do not keep those bodies all year long...and for the most part..they are all "enhanced"....dont be so hard on yourself...u look great...no need to give up your social life..eat have fun..and give it everything u have when u work out...ull be fine...I actually think thats the fun part about bodybuilding...knowing that ull never be happy and ull always want to change something...to me that means that i have found something for life...how many people can say that they have found something they truly enjoy to do..especially something that allows u to change YOUR body at any moment...i think thats cool as hell...makes waking up every morning enjoyable cause u will always have some goal to achieve..never a dull moment

X2 ^^^^^ great post - repped

wrecking_ball
07-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't worry about that "perfect" body. No matter how much you lift im not sure you will ever be completely satisfied, but if thats what brings you back to the gym then more power to it! I have had times where I was happy with my physique or a part of it but never have I been completely satisfied, its like a curse you always see more to improve!

If I were you I wouldn't worry though you look great, I could see posters of you on peoples walls. POSTERS, gotta be doing something right! Oh also I know plenty of people who have wimped out of P90x so your also a beast. Just keep that fire fueled and it will keep burning!

NurseRatchet
07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
You guys definitely make me feel a lot better! I guess I never thought of it as a good thing to always have something you want to improve/change, and that alone is good motivation! I think I just need to learn to not be so hard on myself and just remember that this is a lifestyle and a long journey.

Nainoa
07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
You guys definitely make me feel a lot better! I guess I never thought of it as a good thing to always have something you want to improve/change, and that alone is good motivation! I think I just need to learn to not be so hard on myself and just remember that this is a lifestyle and a long journey.

Well I look at it this way...

You know those guys who always "Peaked" senior year of Highschool... And then you show up to the 10 year reunion and that Captain of the Football team who told you that you were going to be Garbage compared to him... And then he's a 3rd shift bartender at the airport. (Yes that was a good moment for me!)
;)

I never want to experience a "Post Peak" lifestyle.

Sure as I'm getting older I'm running slower... And it sure takes me longer to heal after I take a header down the steps, than I did at age 18.

But other than that... I'm only getting better as I get older...

My goal is not to Peak until 12 seconds before I die...

Just long enough for me to crap myself, come up with some cool last words and kick the bucket.

Otherwise... It's not about where I'm ending up... It's that everyday I'm more than what I was the day before...

And in a goofy way... That's the best any of us can really expect out of this life!