PDA

View Full Version : Not gaining weight / trying to stay motivated

Jfunkhouser
07-07-2009, 05:38 AM
5 months ago I was 5'9" and 150lbs.. Today I am 5'9" and 150lbs... I have always been lean, with pretty low bf%. I have been lifting each muscle group about twice a week, getting plenty of rest, eating a TON and taking protein/creatine supplements. I just can't seem to gain any size at all. I have made some strength gains which have kept me motivated and in the gym, but I fear without any increase in muscle mass the gains will soon slow down and level out, which will leave me feeling pretty discouraged. Does anyone think I should get my testosterone levels checked??? Is this normal? Just keep going with what I am doing? I need some advice.

Goleteral
07-07-2009, 07:15 AM
5 months ago I was 5'9" and 150lbs.. Today I am 5'9" and 150lbs... I have always been lean, with pretty low bf%. I have been lifting each muscle group about twice a week, getting plenty of rest, eating a TON and taking protein/creatine supplements. I just can't seem to gain any size at all. I have made some strength gains which have kept me motivated and in the gym, but I fear without any increase in muscle mass the gains will soon slow down and level out, which will leave me feeling pretty discouraged. Does anyone think I should get my testosterone levels checked??? Is this normal? Just keep going with what I am doing? I need some advice.

Not gaining weight = Eating too little and i know, i know - you are eating a TON!
Write down everything you eat(Ammounts, time), add them up and i can assure you that you are eating too little to gain weight - otherwise you would even with EXTREMLY low level testo gain fat..

5'9" medium activity(3-5 workouts a week), 150 pounds - I'd say ~3100-3300 calories for decent gains(~50/30/20 carbs protein fat ratio)

Gaining weight means CONSISTENT eating - every day..

Ironlife
07-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Not gaining weight = Eating too little and i know, i know - you are eating a TON!
Write down everything you eat(Ammounts, time), add them up and i can assure you that you are eating too little to gain weight - otherwise you would even with EXTREMLY low level testo gain fat..

5'9" medium activity(3-5 workouts a week), 150 pounds - I'd say ~3100-3300 calories for decent gains(~50/30/20 carbs protein fat ratio)

Gaining weight means CONSISTENT eating - every day..

Good advice^^

I know how much you are eating but try for a little bit more food, even focus your diet on carbs lots of them, and minimise your time in the gym.

Jfunkhouser
07-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Good advice^^

I know how much you are eating but try for a little bit more food, even focus your diet on carbs lots of them, and minimise your time in the gym.

I had actually been cutting back on the carbs, eating mostly chicken, tuna, eggs and vegetables... I didn't know carbs had much to do with muscle gain --- and if I'm not putting on any muscle, the last thing I want to do is throw some extra fat on my skinny body.

davebar
07-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Maybe start taking a gainer powder, it could help. Do you feel hungry a lot or just sometimes?

Get your hands on some ribeyes or some type of red meat. And eat baked potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Jfunkhouser
07-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Maybe start taking a gainer powder, it could help. Do you feel hungry a lot or just sometimes?

Get your hands on some ribeyes or some type of red meat. And eat baked potatoes and sweet potatoes.

I am hungry most of the time. I'm sure I am just a hard gainer... Tired of being small but I'll keep at it. It's better than NOT working out, that's for sure.

andre.krec
07-07-2009, 09:33 AM
1) EAT MUCH MORE
2) SQUAT and DEADLIFT

ZidaneValor
07-07-2009, 10:21 AM
I had actually been cutting back on the carbs, eating mostly chicken, tuna, eggs and vegetables... I didn't know carbs had much to do with muscle gain --- and if I'm not putting on any muscle, the last thing I want to do is throw some extra fat on my skinny body.

You're actually supposed to eat more carbs than protein according to some bodybuilding diets. Where with protein you eat 1-1.5 g/lb, with carbs you eat 1.5-2 g/lb. Check the nutrition articles on this site for a recommended nutrition plan and when to eat slow and fast digesting carbs.

DuLac
07-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I am hungry most of the time. I'm sure I am just a hard gainer... Tired of being small but I'll keep at it. It's better than NOT working out, that's for sure.

Yeah... you just answered your own question.

If you're hungry, you're definitely not eating enough.

p.s. no such things as 'hard gainers', or 'obese for life' people. There are simply people who understand nutrition, and those (many) who do not.

Goleteral
07-08-2009, 12:56 AM

Oh man, yeah , i thought i was a hard gainer too, not more then half a year ago i was ~118 pounds, ate alot and thought i wasnt gaining weight because of my 'genes' and because i was a 'hard gainer' - then counted all of my calories and understood my mistake..

Bulked up more then 40lbs - stuffed my face with healthy cabs/protein and fat - after every meal the last few bites where a pain, forcing yourself, i usually felt very full almost half way into my meals..

If you want to be big and grow you need to eat, eat and then eat some more..

Jfunkhouser
07-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Oh man, yeah , i thought i was a hard gainer too, not more then half a year ago i was ~118 pounds, ate alot and thought i wasnt gaining weight because of my 'genes' and because i was a 'hard gainer' - then counted all of my calories and understood my mistake..

Bulked up more then 40lbs - stuffed my face with healthy cabs/protein and fat - after every meal the last few bites where a pain, forcing yourself, i usually felt very full almost half way into my meals..

If you want to be big and grow you need to eat, eat and then eat some more..

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice. I am going to eat something right now. And then eat some more right after that.

My muscles are just not getting enough calories/protein/nutrients to grow because my metabolism is high? Is that the theory?