PDA

View Full Version : Beating Cravings

DrakeStryker
07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
My biggest motivational problem is when the cravings hit. I'll admit it; I'm a junk-food junkie. Particularly of the chips variety. I'm currently working on a diet and a workout routine, but a couple nights ago, I had the worst hit of chips cravings that I'd had in a long time, and even though I didn't give in, I thought I'd ask you guys what helps you when the cravings for junk food hits.

nik2k385
07-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Being a geek, I think back to something I learned in a literature class this past semester.
The idea is that man is a creature of two different natures.
One of these natures is physical, like dust. The other is spiritual like a higher being or god. Personally, I see the other side as my true self.
There's a constant struggle between the two.

I look at junk cravings as a representation of my physical side trying to keep me from becoming the best person that I can be.
Your true, noble self doesn't want to eat that garbage, so don't give in to the demands of the lower of your two natures.

I hope that made sense. It's the philosophy I've adopted recently.

DrakeStryker
07-06-2009, 08:00 PM
From a fellow geek, that does make sense. For me, though, it's very different, since I do want to eat it, because as a Cancer (the astrological sign, not the thing that kills you), I celebrate food for the tastes. Overall, yeah, my body probably wouldn't want it, but my tongue pleads for it, like a parched throat in the middle of a desert in drought season. And it's a loud voice, that one. I'm hoping that when I pass my first week of this diet that the cravings will die down.

joen270
07-06-2009, 08:01 PM
put a glob of toothpaste on your gums. the minty taste helps crush the lust for food

exy
07-06-2009, 08:17 PM
I drink diet soda until I'm not hungry anymore.

shadowstrength
07-06-2009, 08:47 PM
what about jerky ur slim jim?

Beachbum1546
07-07-2009, 09:33 PM
cravings is my diet bane. if i could cut my diet slips per day I'd probably lower my intake by 600-700 calories. I try really hard to not eat bad but I get so hungry and my mind wont get off eating that one food till I do.

Gx7Pyro
07-08-2009, 12:06 AM
i get the same cravings - chips (the honey dijion kettle chips to be exact). what i do is have them every day - just not enough to really throw off my diet. ill have maybe 1-3 chips whenever i reach for them. have a couple before school, a couple before work, and a couple after my nighttime protein shake - if you add it all up, it ends up being about a serving.

i found this is the best way to control it. ive tried cutting it out of my diet completely, but usually after 2-3 weeks i eat the entire bag in one sitting. being out of the house helps too - i leave the chip bag at home.

-Lucifer
07-08-2009, 12:23 AM
put a glob of toothpaste on your gums. the minty taste helps crush the lust for food
Nice idea. Thanks!

Il_Dago
07-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I just remember all of the women I've missed out on dating because I was/am fat. Makes it real easy to pass on the cupcakes.

Shr3dJunki3
07-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I had this happen to me yesterday, how I beat it was, I jammed this idea into my head, " If I give in and binge, I add calories, but if I go out for a walk, I burn some calories." So what I do is just get out of the house and not take money so food isn't even available.

Nykoo
07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I just remember all of the women I've missed out on dating because I was/am fat. Makes it real easy to pass on the cupcakes.

lolololol

starvin
07-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Being a geek, I think back to something I learned in a literature class this past semester.
The idea is that man is a creature of two different natures.
One of these natures is physical, like dust. The other is spiritual like a higher being or god. Personally, I see the other side as my true self.
There's a constant struggle between the two.

I look at junk cravings as a representation of my physical side trying to keep me from becoming the best person that I can be.
Your true, noble self doesn't want to eat that garbage, so don't give in to the demands of the lower of your two natures.

I hope that made sense. It's the philosophy I've adopted recently.

I like that

UCFBuilder
07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
i definitley know how hard it is to beat cravings...if ur like me..they hit at night right?? when ur bored and not doing anything....if i get a crazy craving for something that i shouldnt be eating...ill either eat some protein source and see if that cures it..or i get up..get in my car and drive..ive driven around town for up to 3 hours..no lie...this only happened while i was cutting for my comp tho...it keeps my mind of the food and when i get home im usually tired enough to just fall asleep

johnderriLLL
07-08-2009, 06:46 PM
nothing tastes as good as thing feels. i want this more than any thing in my entire life.

ive been working on it for the past 3 years and lost 100 pounds. i want consistent eating for being consistently thin

Nainoa
07-09-2009, 08:49 AM
From a fellow geek, that does make sense. For me, though, it's very different, since I do want to eat it, because as a Cancer (the astrological sign, not the thing that kills you), I celebrate food for the tastes. Overall, yeah, my body probably wouldn't want it, but my tongue pleads for it, like a parched throat in the middle of a desert in drought season. And it's a loud voice, that one. I'm hoping that when I pass my first week of this diet that the cravings will die down.

Well here's one of those times where you have to mustard up and be willing to call "Bull****" on yourself.

Now you say that it's basically in your nature to celebrate food for it's taste.

As an amature chef who deals only in whole foods and scratch cooking... I would put out there that mass produced chips, junk food and other garbage, don't really taste like anything worth a damn. And it is indeed the Physical side of your human duality that is addicted to the reward sensation of Fat, Sodium and Sugar.

Now you could Crap a Sharp Clawed kitten up and down swearing it's not the case through one word puzzle here, one logic trap there... But the proof in the pudding... The real Cowboy Up Experience... Is to start cooking whole food healthy alternatives.

From what I've learned... If you're going to truly conquer your mind, you have to cut away at your excuses, by confronting your perception of "What" you're doing to understand "Why" you're doing it.

If you're interested in taking up this challenge...
Just give me an idea of what some of your favorite foods are. (Non-Junk Food Related.)

And hopefully I've got something in my repretoir that I can help you learn how to create a meal that will Allow you to Celebrate the Taste of food... Appreciate the application... And then later when you sit down, and a craving comes up in your mind. Is it that you want to eat the chips for the chips... or do you want to cook a celebration of flavor? (And why?)

^^^^
Sorry if all that is a bit metaphysical... But I find that in general a lot of people are addicted to junk food out of a lack of being taught how to truly cook while they were growing up.

Mom and Dad heatin up a can of soup while they went to pay bills, instead of teaching you how to make chicken noodle soup from a whole chicken and vegetables etc...

DrakeStryker
07-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Well here's one of those times where you have to mustard up and be willing to call "Bull****" on yourself.

Now you say that it's basically in your nature to celebrate food for it's taste.

As an amature chef who deals only in whole foods and scratch cooking... I would put out there that mass produced chips, junk food and other garbage, don't really taste like anything worth a damn. And it is indeed the Physical side of your human duality that is addicted to the reward sensation of Fat, Sodium and Sugar.

Now you could Crap a Sharp Clawed kitten up and down swearing it's not the case through one word puzzle here, one logic trap there... But the proof in the pudding... The real Cowboy Up Experience... Is to start cooking whole food healthy alternatives.

From what I've learned... If you're going to truly conquer your mind, you have to cut away at your excuses, by confronting your perception of "What" you're doing to understand "Why" you're doing it.

If you're interested in taking up this challenge...
Just give me an idea of what some of your favorite foods are. (Non-Junk Food Related.)

And hopefully I've got something in my repretoir that I can help you learn how to create a meal that will Allow you to Celebrate the Taste of food... Appreciate the application... And then later when you sit down, and a craving comes up in your mind. Is it that you want to eat the chips for the chips... or do you want to cook a celebration of flavor? (And why?)

^^^^
Sorry if all that is a bit metaphysical... But I find that in general a lot of people are addicted to junk food out of a lack of being taught how to truly cook while they were growing up.

Mom and Dad heatin up a can of soup while they went to pay bills, instead of teaching you how to make chicken noodle soup from a whole chicken and vegetables etc...

Hey, I'll man up and admit that part of it is not being taught how to cook, but most of it is just me allowing myself to fall into a pattern of laziness. I don't have an excuse, nor am I trying to make any for my behavior. I do not advocate my eating habits, even though I've been doing better lately. I've been using meal replacements, but the shakes just aren't the same, ya know? I want out of this mindset I seem to have stuck myself in, and I posted here looking for help, so if you're willing to give the advice, I'm willing to try anything at this point.

I'm mostly a meat and potatoes kind of guy, all sorts of poultry, steak, and ham, which isn't great if you're trying to lose fat. Especially with all sorts of neat spices. I like seafood a lot too, lobster in butter sauce being a solid favorite. I like how vegetables and fruits can be used to accentuate the taste of something, but usually on their own, it's not high on my list of favorites, so salads aren't that high on my list of good foods.

Nainoa
07-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey, I'll man up and admit that part of it is not being taught how to cook, but most of it is just me allowing myself to fall into a pattern of laziness. I don't have an excuse, nor am I trying to make any for my behavior. I do not advocate my eating habits, even though I've been doing better lately. I've been using meal replacements, but the shakes just aren't the same, ya know? I want out of this mindset I seem to have stuck myself in, and I posted here looking for help, so if you're willing to give the advice, I'm willing to try anything at this point.

I'm mostly a meat and potatoes kind of guy, all sorts of poultry, steak, and ham, which isn't great if you're trying to lose fat. Especially with all sorts of neat spices. I like seafood a lot too, lobster in butter sauce being a solid favorite. I like how vegetables and fruits can be used to accentuate the taste of something, but usually on their own, it's not high on my list of favorites, so salads aren't that high on my list of good foods.

Do you have a Charcoal Grill?

If so... How does something like "Smoked Wild Salmon with Baked Potato and broiled aspargus" sound?

Not sure how die hard of a cut you're on... But I could also give you instructions on how to make home made Chicken Noodle Soup, from just a chicken and a bunch of cheap veggies... Makes 1.5 to 2 gallons of soup, depending on how thick you want it.

It's not for someone who's on a die hard cut... But it's still not "Bad For You" either. Is still less than a 20 in a 40/40/20 diet, and is loaded with enough nutrients and ball busting flavor to make your eyes roll back in your head.

Or for a more hardcore Veggie Challenge... There's what I call "Crazy Uncle Nainoa's Vegetable Orgy" with Grilled Pepper-Lime Chicken on the side.

For a "Salad Challenge" if you like Buffalo Wings... I do have a Buffalo-Chicken salad, made from Chicken breast meat... Using a little Low fat Blue Cheese dressing.

Or Chicken Meat Ball in a scratch Marinara sauce (With a dash of red wine), over your choice of pasta.

Any of those sound like they hit the mark?

DrakeStryker
07-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm not on an extreme cut. I'd like to get myself down to 10% body fat, and I know that a lot of that has to do with my dedication to my workout routine, which has been going good so far. All of those sound like they have an amazing amount of potential for deliciousness, and I have a grill, but it's of the propane variety. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I'm very intrigued to hear more.

exy
07-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm not on an extreme cut. I'd like to get myself down to 10% body fat, and I know that a lot of that has to do with my dedication to my workout routine, which has been going good so far. All of those sound like they have an amazing amount of potential for deliciousness, and I have a grill, but it's of the propane variety. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I'm very intrigued to hear more.

Propane or not, the meat tastes awesome grilled!!! js lol

Nainoa
07-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Yeah you can't smoke with a propane grill unless it's one of the special kind that can handle it and has an ash dump?

Now you could still build a smoker from a Large Cardboard box, a hot plate, an old pan, and a couple of long hardware store dowels.

And I suppose you could Bake the Wild Salmon... But without the hickory smoke you won't get that flavor that I describe as "Fish Bacon."

So let's look first at the "Crazy Uncle Nainoa's Vegetable Orgy and Grilled Lime-Pepper Chicken."

Step 1. An hour or two before hand... Take a Chicken breast. (Bone on and skin will have the most flavor... But if you want to lower the fat, you can remove the skin... but Bl-Sl is just a flavorless meat wad.)

Put the chicken in a Ziplock back... Squeeze in the juice of one lime. (You can buy natural lime juice at the store, and be just fine.)
Add a Good amount of Fresh Ground Pepper
(Not the stupid metal box fly poop... Any good Mega Mart / Sams Club will have a Peppercorn and grinder combo in one for about $7... And has over a years worth of quality pepper in it.)

Crack in a good amount...

Same with sea salt... Once again... Mega Mart Grinder for $7 = Years supply.
*You can also use a Table spoon of Kosher if need be.

Then toss in some Freeze Dried Basil and Freeze dried Parsley.
*Fresh would be better... But you can find a 1 cup supply at the grocery store for about $3.

Then a good solid dash of Paprika (Smoked Paprika if you have it.)
And I like a "Sprinkle" of Cury powder.

Reduce the air out of the bag as best you can to maximize a Meat to Marinade full-Contact.

Put it in the frig.

Vegetable Orgy

Veggies I find work best
1 Zucchini
3 Tomatoes (Heirloom is best, Followed by Vine Riped, then Roma)... Don't under estimate the local farmers market this time of year. (I actually grow my own Herilooms, per my AVI)
1 Large Carrot
Medium Red Onion
1 Spear of Celery
A couple cloves of Garlic
A small handful of Snap Peas (Whatever your grocer or Farmers Market has available for the price... Just not Cowpeas)
A green Pepper
A little fresh Cilantro (A little fresh cilantro goes a LONG WAY!)

The Procedure.

Step 1...

Slice the Carrot up into quarter inch thick slices... Put them in a pan on medium low heat with a very light drizzle of olive oil.

Toss them from time to time while you continue cutting the other veggies.

Next take the zucchini, and make 4 cuts on the outside, removing the meat and leaving the seed core behind. Then cut those 4 Zuch meat strips into 3/8" thick pieces.

Take a medium size caserloe dish or glass baking pan... Lube it lightly with Olive oil (Just enough so stuff doesn't stick), and place the Zuch's White side down.

Take the red onion... Cut it into Jullienes, and then cut the Onion Julies in half, and sort of fill them into the empty spaces that the Zuch pieces have left.

Next Cut the Tomatoes in Half... Push the seeds out with your thumb.
Cut the core out gently.

Place them down so the now open seed cavities are facing up.

Take the Garlic Cloves... Peel Them (Don't smash or chop yet)

Simply put them in the tomato cavities.

Next chop up half the Green Pepper... Fit it into the empty space around the tomatoes.
Same with the spear of Celery.

*By now the Carrots should have some color on each side...

So take them out and toss them over the mix...

Any remaining olive oil in the carrot pan, now gets poured into the Garlic & Tomato cavities.

Then take a sprig or two of Cilantro... Chop it up and sprinkle it over the top.
(Oregano, Basil, Parsley and Paprika wouldn't hurt in light amounts either.)

Hit it with a little bit of sea salt, and some fresh ground pepper.

Cover With a lid or Tin foil... And place into an oven that's been preheated to 275.

Start the grill... Begin roasting the chicken. by giving it a solid sear on the meat side...

Then Flip it over to the Bone side... Pour the remaining marinade contens on the meat side...

And let it grill/roast on the rib side, until the last 5 mins... When it goes back over for a final sear.

When the Veggies hit 30 mins... You can add your snap peas (Bean sprouts would also be a great addition.) You just don't want to add these veggies too early because they'd wilt away to nothing.

Should take another 10 mins in the oven.

When it comes time to serve... It will go great alone or over some brown rice... Soy sauce is optional (I don't use it.)

When you take it out of the Caserole dish... Pick the Garlic out of the tomatoes... Mash them with a spoon... Then dish it out onto a separate bowl. (Leaving any additional Olive Oil behind in the pan.)

And then mix the now roasted garlic in spoonfulls to the final plating.

Whatever olive oil you have in reserve... I would pour off into a separate container and save in the fridge for any sautee work you do later, as it will be infused with massive herb and veggie flavors!

Questions?

Cowmustard
07-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I have been having the same problem recently since getting back to cutting. I recomend taking a scoop of xtend with water. Works well for me.

Also their is a mental strenght system I have been working on (took a break for awhile and wish I hadn't). I call it mental treason (borrowed it from a tv show). Whenever you get those cravings grab the thing you are craving and tell yourself why it is good for you and why it is not. Then put it down and walk away. It is hard at first but it builds self esteem and will like nothing else. It also works well for training. Whenever you are down and out ask yourself what the weakest thing you could do is (usually give up), then do the exact opposite (more reps then you scheduled or 10 more minutes cardio).

Once you get your mind smart and the soul unbreakable, nothing can stop the body.

Peace

Nainoa
07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I have been having the same problem recently since getting back to cutting. I recomend taking a scoop of xtend with water. Works well for me.

Also their is a mental strenght system I have been working on (took a break for awhile and wish I hadn't). I call it mental treason (borrowed it from a tv show). Whenever you get those cravings grab the thing you are craving and tell yourself why it is good for you and why it is not. Then put it down and walk away. It is hard at first but it builds self esteem and will like nothing else. It also works well for training. Whenever you are down and out ask yourself what the weakest thing you could do is (usually give up), then do the exact opposite (more reps then you scheduled or 10 more minutes cardio).

Once you get your mind smart and the soul unbreakable, nothing can stop the body.

Peace

Another Mental trick, that I'm currently using now, as I'm going through a pretty epic rough patch of "Material Problems."

On my Left hand I draw a small Circle with a line through it... On my Right hand I draw a line with a thick dot on top.

The circle with the line through it reminds me to not give in to the thing I'm trying to avoid. (In this case Frustration and Anger over all these problems being inflicted on me beyond my control)

And the line with the dot represents a candle to remind me of an old saying a wise man once told me "When the darkness is getting up on you, all you have to do to chase the shadows away is Turn Your Light Up."

ajstylesisgod
07-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah you can't smoke with a propane grill unless it's one of the special kind that can handle it and has an ash dump?

Now you could still build a smoker from a Large Cardboard box, a hot plate, an old pan, and a couple of long hardware store dowels.

And I suppose you could Bake the Wild Salmon... But without the hickory smoke you won't get that flavor that I describe as "Fish Bacon."

So let's look first at the "Crazy Uncle Nainoa's Vegetable Orgy and Grilled Lime-Pepper Chicken."

Step 1. An hour or two before hand... Take a Chicken breast. (Bone on and skin will have the most flavor... But if you want to lower the fat, you can remove the skin... but Bl-Sl is just a flavorless meat wad.)

Put the chicken in a Ziplock back... Squeeze in the juice of one lime. (You can buy natural lime juice at the store, and be just fine.)
Add a Good amount of Fresh Ground Pepper
(Not the stupid metal box fly poop... Any good Mega Mart / Sams Club will have a Peppercorn and grinder combo in one for about $7... And has over a years worth of quality pepper in it.)

Crack in a good amount...

Same with sea salt... Once again... Mega Mart Grinder for $7 = Years supply.
*You can also use a Table spoon of Kosher if need be.

Then toss in some Freeze Dried Basil and Freeze dried Parsley.
*Fresh would be better... But you can find a 1 cup supply at the grocery store for about $3.

Then a good solid dash of Paprika (Smoked Paprika if you have it.)
And I like a "Sprinkle" of Cury powder.

Reduce the air out of the bag as best you can to maximize a Meat to Marinade full-Contact.

Put it in the frig.

Vegetable Orgy

Veggies I find work best
1 Zucchini
3 Tomatoes (Heirloom is best, Followed by Vine Riped, then Roma)... Don't under estimate the local farmers market this time of year. (I actually grow my own Herilooms, per my AVI)
1 Large Carrot
Medium Red Onion
1 Spear of Celery
A couple cloves of Garlic
A small handful of Snap Peas (Whatever your grocer or Farmers Market has available for the price... Just not Cowpeas)
A green Pepper
A little fresh Cilantro (A little fresh cilantro goes a LONG WAY!)

The Procedure.

Step 1...

Slice the Carrot up into quarter inch thick slices... Put them in a pan on medium low heat with a very light drizzle of olive oil.

Toss them from time to time while you continue cutting the other veggies.

Next take the zucchini, and make 4 cuts on the outside, removing the meat and leaving the seed core behind. Then cut those 4 Zuch meat strips into 3/8" thick pieces.

Take a medium size caserloe dish or glass baking pan... Lube it lightly with Olive oil (Just enough so stuff doesn't stick), and place the Zuch's White side down.

Take the red onion... Cut it into Jullienes, and then cut the Onion Julies in half, and sort of fill them into the empty spaces that the Zuch pieces have left.

Next Cut the Tomatoes in Half... Push the seeds out with your thumb.
Cut the core out gently.

Place them down so the now open seed cavities are facing up.

Take the Garlic Cloves... Peel Them (Don't smash or chop yet)

Simply put them in the tomato cavities.

Next chop up half the Green Pepper... Fit it into the empty space around the tomatoes.
Same with the spear of Celery.

*By now the Carrots should have some color on each side...

So take them out and toss them over the mix...

Any remaining olive oil in the carrot pan, now gets poured into the Garlic & Tomato cavities.

Then take a sprig or two of Cilantro... Chop it up and sprinkle it over the top.
(Oregano, Basil, Parsley and Paprika wouldn't hurt in light amounts either.)

Hit it with a little bit of sea salt, and some fresh ground pepper.

Cover With a lid or Tin foil... And place into an oven that's been preheated to 275.

Start the grill... Begin roasting the chicken. by giving it a solid sear on the meat side...

Then Flip it over to the Bone side... Pour the remaining marinade contens on the meat side...

And let it grill/roast on the rib side, until the last 5 mins... When it goes back over for a final sear.

When the Veggies hit 30 mins... You can add your snap peas (Bean sprouts would also be a great addition.) You just don't want to add these veggies too early because they'd wilt away to nothing.

Should take another 10 mins in the oven.

When it comes time to serve... It will go great alone or over some brown rice... Soy sauce is optional (I don't use it.)

When you take it out of the Caserole dish... Pick the Garlic out of the tomatoes... Mash them with a spoon... Then dish it out onto a separate bowl. (Leaving any additional Olive Oil behind in the pan.)

And then mix the now roasted garlic in spoonfulls to the final plating.

Whatever olive oil you have in reserve... I would pour off into a separate container and save in the fridge for any sautee work you do later, as it will be infused with massive herb and veggie flavors!

Questions?

when can you start??

seriously tho that sounds a realy cool meal im gona try that tomorow as its 8 at night hear and ive eaten

Nainoa
07-09-2009, 11:58 AM
when can you start??

seriously tho that sounds a realy cool meal im gona try that tomorow as its 8 at night hear and ive eaten

Yeah in general if you fill a 9X12 Glass Baking Dish with the Vegetable Orgy, it will feed 4, (Including Chicken Breast) so keep scale in mind.

Though it does reheat really well.

Nainoa
07-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Figured I'd also toss out the old Chicken Meatballs and Spaghetti (With Scratch Sauce) recipe.

If Pasta is verbottin on your particular cut... You can find an alternative.

If you have a Mandolin... You could also make Faux noodles out of Carrots.

First off we've delve into "Papa Nainoa's Scratch Marinara Sauce."

Obviously if you have some San Marzano Plum Tomatoes that you blanche and roast with Olive Oil and Garlic, it will be best...

But I understand, that 90% of people don't have my Tomato forest of a garden.

So we'll start with plain old Roma's.

Get an Ass load of them... Like 2-3 pounds.

(If you don't want to start this far back you can always get 2 cans of crushed tomatoes.)

Take your Toms...

Blanche them (By making a small X on the bottom with a knife, dropping them into boiling water for a minute and then shocking them in an ice water bath.)

Once you have the skins off of them... Cut them in half... Core and Seed.

Put them in a glass baking dish with a little Olive Oil and a little water.

Some Crushed Garlic (Fresh From Cloves, none of this Garlic Powder Horse****!)

And some Oregano and Basil. (Greek Oregano is better than Vulgare... Genovese Basil is better than all other basils)

And then just let them roast for a half hour at 275.

After about a half hour, they should be soft enough to work with... If they aren't falling apart to the yield of a wood spoon... Give them another 10 mins.

In the last 10 mins that they are roasting...

Take a Yellow onion... Chop it...
Green Pepper... Chop it
Spear of Celery... Chop it
A Small Carrot... Cut in half the long way... Chop it
(Use the other half for refining your bugs bunny impression) ;)

Toss all these in your big pot... With a little Olive Oil and some sea salt
NO PEPPER OR HERBS at this time... They will only burn!

Put the pot on medium low heat.

You'll know you're ready when you see the slightest bit of color on the Onions and carrots, and the Green peppers are soft.

When the tomatoes are properly roasted... Take them out...

Now you still want to break them down further...

You have a couple of options...

-Food Processor & Blender are the 2 most common...

Me... I like some chunks in my sauce... So I just go Donkey-Humpin' Crazy with a potato masher!

Then I take this and pour it into the pot with the other veggies that have been sweating.

Add more Herbs

And simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, letting it reduce.
Once 15 mins have gone by and it's reduced a bit... I add a half cup of red wine.

*You see tomatoes have certain compounds in them that are only alcohol soluable.

You can take that tomato, roast it, broil it, bake it, braise it, have a one eyed buddhist monk pray over it, while you shread a winning lottery ticket onto it for extra seasoning... And those Alcohol soluable compounds will still not show up...

Cup of wine and a little cook time... And BOOM there they are.

*Note... If you are on a bulk, and ONLY a rather dirty bulk...
I would have also spent that 15 minutes frying up 4 strips of bacon, and then crumbling them into the sauce and pouring the rendered fat into the sauce as well. But Bacon and Red Wine in a Marinara sauce will make you weak in the knees.

So Now cover the pot and let it simmer.

Next Post...
The Meatballs!

Nainoa
07-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Now when it comes to chicken meat balls...

The easy route is to go buy a pack of ground chicken.

And if that's what you're going for... By all means.
*Just beaware... You're getting the "left overs"

Now if you want to go kick-ass best route. That has Zero pieces with names like "Popes Nose" "Back Scrap" or "Dimbles"
;)

Then it's time to pull out the meat grinder.

While a machine meat grinder like the Mixer attachement is easiest...

I honestly find that Gramma's old hand crank grinder gives you the best texture.

I would grind with 3 Thighs and 1 Breast.

Grind them up...

And mix in just a little (Say Quarter cup) of Bread crumbs... With 2 large egg whites.

Add in some Basil, Parsley, and Oregano.

Then say a quarter cup of Onion... Chopped... And Sauteed.
(Don't use bits of raw onion)
And some minced roasted Garlic.
*If you want you could time it so that you could use some of the stuff from the Sauce pot.)

Take these mix them all up in a bowl... Cover with plastic wrap for 10 mins.

*You need the flavors to meld a little and the bread crumbs to absorb some liquid.

Once this time has passed...

Take a pan with a little olive oil in it. (This would be a great time to use that left over Olive oil from the Vegetable Orgy you made the previous night!) ;)

While you're heating the oil...

Make little balls out of the chicken...

Don't over handle it or mangle it... Just roll it into Medium Sized balls... Say 150% the size of a Golfball.

Put the balls in the olive oil pan... Rotate them as they brown.

Once they have taken color on all sides...

Pick them out with the tongues and add them to the sauce.

When it's all combined...

Pour the entire concotion back into the original baking pan Cover with tinfoil and put it in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes.

While this is all making it's final roast...

Make your pasta of choice.

As a bit of a purist myself... I prefer good old fashioned Spaghetti.