PDA

View Full Version : calorie count worth it?

wrestlingaa
07-06-2009, 06:22 PM
So im 14 and i am bulking i know that good nutrition is important and all but is it really this nescessay to count every calorie. Do you think i will still see gains if i just eat till im full And make aure i get enough protein, and eat evey 2 ta 3 hours.

papasmurf2217
07-06-2009, 06:25 PM
At your age, not absolutely necessary but it does help. If you do count then it's easier to gauge whether you're overeating or undereating for your goals.

Whomper107
07-06-2009, 06:42 PM
So im 14 and i am bulking i know that good nutrition is important and all but is it really this nescessay to count every calorie. Do you think i will still see gains if i just eat till im full And make aure i get enough protein, and eat evey 2 ta 3 hours.

No 14 year old - except perhaps the obese ones - should have to count calories. Just focus on getting around 1-1.3g of protein per pound of BW, and eat enough carbs and fats to keep your weight moving.

wrestlingaa
07-06-2009, 06:54 PM
So just watch my protein intake?

Whomper107
07-06-2009, 07:07 PM
So just watch my protein intake?

Protein is the only thing I would worry about tracking - just make sure to get your minimum everyday. Going over a bit won't hurt, but once you have hit your goal on protein it would be more beneficial to devote those calories to carbs/fats. As far as how many grams of carbs/fats to shoot for - just generalize it based on your goal. If you're not gaining weight, take another helping of potatoes, or another spoonful of PB. If you're gaining too much fat, swap out a serving of starchy carbs for vegetables. At your age, your metabolism is so quick that it is difficult to gain a lot of fat... and even if you manage to, it is also very easy to lose that fat.

wrestlingaa
07-07-2009, 03:55 AM
Alright thanks

SuffolkPunch
07-07-2009, 04:43 AM
If you have trouble meeting your goals for weight gain (or loss) then I would say the first thing you should do is accurately measure your calories. This is the number 1 thing (IMO) why people don't get it right. Fat people underestimate, thin people overestimate.

If you can get away without it though, all well and good.

peteyyytran
07-07-2009, 05:24 AM
To be totally honest, from at least watching my little cousins and various other teenagers grow, they seem to eat whatever the hell they want and still be the same and never get bigger; but TALLER. Just what I think really, unless you are overweight and such then yeah you should. *My mistake all my high school life* But if you are scrawny, eat it up. And Grow.