PDA

View Full Version : Eggs, Microwaved vs. Hardboiled

xAlphax
07-05-2009, 07:27 PM
I usually crack 4 into a bowl and microwave them every morning. Would there be a difference in available nutrients absorbed if I were to cook them with water, or any other method instead? Because I would hate it if I'm destroying anything important in the yolk due microwaving.

determined4000
07-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I usually crack 4 into a bowl and microwave them every morning. Would there be a difference in available nutrients absorbed if I were to cook them with water, or any other method instead? Because I would hate it if I'm destroying anything important in the yolk due microwaving.

w/ water ?

guerbear
07-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I've heard lots of people microwaving them, I don't believe it hurts the nutrients at all. As long as it all ends up in your stomach :)

papasmurf2217
07-05-2009, 09:01 PM
I microwave em if i'm feeling lazy and want to just throw it on a sandwich or something. Otherwise scrambled eggs I pan fry those babies.

abergirl
07-06-2009, 09:11 AM

more damage is done to fruit/vegetables when heated i would think.

i'm not sure if this applies to eggs as well, but i read this:

In general, microwaving or griddling ? heating the vegetable on a heavy skillet without oil ? did the best job of preserving antioxidant activity, [Dr. A. M. Jimenez-Monreal of the University of Murcia] and colleagues found. Corn was the exception, losing roughly 35 percent of its free-radical scavenging capacity after microwaving.

Boiling and pressure cooking generally caused the greatest loss of antioxidant capacity, with frying being a little better than these methods and a little worse than microwaving or griddle-cooking. "In short, water is not the cook's best friend when it comes to preparing vegetables," the researchers say.

here:
http://www.qualityhealth.com/news/microwaving-beats-boiling-cooking-most-veggies-14303

either way my favorite way to eat eggs is over medium with some salt & pepper, nutrients or not.

roger79
07-06-2009, 09:17 AM
I eat them fried or scrambled if it's for a meal, but I always have a few hard-boiled eggs in the fridge ready for quick snacks.

I don't think how you cook them has any significant effect on nutritional value unless you add other stuff like butter or milk.

nano.ix
07-06-2009, 09:21 AM
fry egg whites w/ oats. in before all your "omg why dont you eat the yolks" ..stfu

belairdfence99
07-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Why is it only eggs that people become so worried about the nutrients being "destroyed". Your body is very efficient and will get all the nutrients unless you light the eggs on fire for a long period of time or something else out of the question. Any way you enjoy eating the eggs is fine.

When you start stressing over little things like antioxidants and phytonutrients, you do more researching than actual eating, and eating the food is the purpose.