PDA

View Full Version : Whey vs Casein PWO Shake for night workouts?

NurseRatchet
07-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Quick question...

So normally when I workout during the day, my PWO shake is whey protein, and then later at night if I am hungry I'll either make a shake with casein protein or have cottage cheese.

My question is...if I can't get my workout in until later at night (after dinner) does it make a difference which one I use for my shake? Should I be using the casein protein b/c of the way it breaks down or is there a different benefit from using the whey?

Thanks!

determined4000
07-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I order my powder online and get a custom blend of the two (whatever ratio you want you can make). Or you can just buy the two separate and mix them yourself. That what I would do anyways.

Ryan_Cunningham
07-05-2009, 06:02 PM
If you're going to bed immediately after getting back from your evening workout, I'd mix the two. Otherwise I'd take the whey immediately and the casein an hour later.

NurseRatchet
07-05-2009, 06:58 PM
If you're going to bed immediately after getting back from your evening workout, I'd mix the two. Otherwise I'd take the whey immediately and the casein an hour later.

Yep in this situation I would be going to bed soon after my workout - thats why I was kind of confused about whether to do whey or casein. I never would have thought to mix the two! That is a great idea!!

RealMenDeadLift
07-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Casein is such a waste of money

Swamp Dog
07-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Unless your casein is 100% it's a blend anyway, such as UP 2.0 or Micellar Matrix. A blend goes down way easier than the real deal.
But even so, I doubt that it would make much difference either way so I vote just take the casein or cottage cheese after any late workouts.

NurseRatchet
07-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Casein is such a waste of money

Why? Just curious. I know cottage cheese is cheaper, is that the main reason you say that?

NurseRatchet
07-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Unless your casein is 100% it's a blend anyway, such as UP 2.0 or Micellar Matrix. A blend goes down way easier than the real deal.
But even so, I doubt that it would make much difference either way so I vote just take the casein or cottage cheese after any late workouts.

Its the 100% Casein from Optimum Nutrition

RealMenDeadLift
07-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Why? Just curious. I know cottage cheese is cheaper, is that the main reason you say that?

No, because it isn't necessary and you could simply drink milk if you really wanted some

Swamp Dog
07-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Its the 100% Casein from Optimum Nutrition

Whoa, you are hard core... 100% casein is not for the faint hearted!
But as I said I would contend that having the casein or cc after a late workout would be just fine.

evasiontank
07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
But as I said I would contend that having the casein or cc after a late workout would be just fine.

Hey question, does Cottage Cheese have slow digesting protein or is it fast digesting protein?

jayce_p
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
slow digesting (Casein)

NurseRatchet
07-05-2009, 08:30 PM

LOL what is so insane about the 100%? I had never used casein before two weeks ago, but I really love my whey protein from them and figured I might as well stick with the same brand! :)

TheWaffleIron
07-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Sufficient protein intake is most important. One serving of whey, rather than casein, is not going to make a difference in body composition.

djansen
07-05-2009, 10:51 PM
a mix of whey and casein is always optimal.

snorkelman
07-06-2009, 05:13 AM
a mix of whey and casein is always optimal.

The jury is still out on that one, but I personally would also have a whey / casein blend for this situation. For me, a scoop of whey and a scoop of 100% micellar casein in a shaker bottle.

And while casein may not be "necessary," if OP wants to take it, what's the harm in asking a timing question? That being said, nutrient timing is not as important as the total amounts of food that you eat and your macros.

Jeclavad
07-06-2009, 06:34 AM
A mix of the two proteins would hit the spot.
BTW, milk could be a great choice (whey/casein and some carbs = perfect for late PWO)

Simmo0508
07-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Have your whey shake, seeing as though you've trained late at night.

However on the other hand, the food you've eaten throughout the day is still being digested and used by the body, which often negates the need for casein and such products, during one's sleep period.

Personally, i'm not a fan of casein whatsoever, but each their own. I would go the whey in that particular situation though.

NurseRatchet
07-06-2009, 09:31 AM
A mix of the two proteins would hit the spot.
BTW, milk could be a great choice (whey/casein and some carbs = perfect for late PWO)

I did this last night w/milk after my workout! So good!

I figured it probably didn't matter much since protein is protein, but I was concerned that if I JUST did a casein shake (for the slower digesting benefit since I would be going to sleep soon after) that I would be missing out on the benefits of whey after a workout.

martinibluex
07-06-2009, 02:05 PM
However on the other hand, the food you've eaten throughout the day is still being digested and used by the body, which often negates the need for casein and such products, during one's sleep period.

I've always wondered about this one, but I can't convince myself to skip on the cottage cheese or the fat free mozzarella concoctions I make before bed. All research indicates that N loss does occur at night.

To the OP: I also work out late sometimes and after trying various combinations I picked whey immediately after workout and casein 30 minutes later.

YoungEx20
07-06-2009, 02:18 PM
If you mix your pure Whey with Milk aren't you getting a pretty even blend anyway? Since Milk is mostly Casein.

atmilner
07-06-2009, 02:29 PM
To the OP: I also work out late sometimes and after trying various combinations I picked whey immediately after workout and casein 30 minutes later.

i second that, although i've never really been in this "situation" thats what i would probably do if i had both

NurseRatchet
07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
If you mix your pure Whey with Milk aren't you getting a pretty even blend anyway? Since Milk is mostly Casein.

This is an interesting point. I just looked up my soymilk online and it is CASEIN FREE?! I guess soy protein doesn't have casein in it. I had started using light soymilk b/c it has less calories (slightly) and almost half the carbs.

NurseRatchet
07-06-2009, 02:38 PM
So I guess what I am getting from all of this is that the benefits of having whey (as opposed to casein) immediately PWO is more important than making sure I get some form of casein protein before bed?

On Fire
07-06-2009, 03:52 PM
So I guess what I am getting from all of this is that the benefits of having whey (as opposed to casein) immediately PWO is more important than making sure I get some form of casein protein before bed?

In my humble opinion, what you should've picked up from this thread is that it's just important to satisfy your PWO with protein. What type of protein is less important, as long as it's a complete protein.

I believe the digestive speed of specific protein types is less important than manufacturers try to convince you. Realize that most have got multiple protein types and they're trying to tell you how important it is that you buy all of them! In reality, like another member pointed out, you will probably never ingest protein when your not currently digesting something else at the same time.

Sooooooo in my opinion, use the protein powder that mixes easy, tastes good and doesn't cost a fortune. I use On 100% Whey and Gaspari MyoFusion. Whichever's on sale =)

And about your milk choice, if you haven't got a milk intolerance issue, I would stick to straight skim milk. Not that soy's a bad choice, but many of the bodybuilders I know and train with love milk. Carbs are not your enemy! If the calories are nearly the same, its really a non-issue for you, I'd guess.

NurseRatchet
07-06-2009, 05:14 PM
In my humble opinion, what you should've picked up from this thread is that it's just important to satisfy your PWO with protein. What type of protein is less important, as long as it's a complete protein.

I believe the digestive speed of specific protein types is less important than manufacturers try to convince you. Realize that most have got multiple protein types and they're trying to tell you how important it is that you buy all of them! In reality, like another member pointed out, you will probably never ingest protein when your not currently digesting something else at the same time.

Sooooooo in my opinion, use the protein powder that mixes easy, tastes good and doesn't cost a fortune. I use On 100% Whey and Gaspari MyoFusion. Whichever's on sale =)

And about your milk choice, if you haven't got a milk intolerance issue, I would stick to straight skim milk. Not that soy's a bad choice, but many of the bodybuilders I know and train with love milk. Carbs are not your enemy! If the calories are nearly the same, its really a non-issue for you, I'd guess.

Thanks!!! Exactly what I was looking for :)