PDA

View Full Version : skim milk vs 1%, 2%, whole milk

lexmusic1
01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
ive always drank skim milk since i was young. my browsing on this website has taught me that ones intake of fat will not cause you to gain/lose weight, but it is rather the amount of calories one consumes.

so on that note, besides the difference in calories, what is the difference between skim, 1%, 2%, and whole milk?

(and please dont put taste as an answer...)

thanks!

abergirl
01-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Just the fat content which contributes to calories in the end.

MCconditioner
01-22-2007, 02:17 PM
the more fat that is in the milk the better it tastes. its saturated though, so not a good source.

I believe whole Milk is on average 3 - 4% fat.

boyscouT
01-22-2007, 02:18 PM
the more fat that is in the milk the better it tastes. its saturated though, so not a good source.

I believe whole Milk is on average 3 - 4% fat.
Nothing wrong with saturated :).

wtygart
01-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I drink Skim Milk and get my fat from Nuts and Avocados......Flax seeds, etc. If I am going to intake fat it's kind of like Gas...I would rather put in the premium fats instead of the kind I get from 2% or Whole Milk.

Axle Foley
01-22-2007, 02:48 PM
According to Bruce Fife, MCTs (such as the saturated fats found in milk) are the healthiest of all. I don't necessarily follow his advice (or buy into it), but it's out there.

xamadeix
01-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I drink Skim Milk and get my fat from Nuts and Avocados......Flax seeds, etc. If I am going to intake fat it's kind of like Gas...I would rather put in the premium fats instead of the kind I get from 2% or Whole Milk.

I couldnt agree with that statement more..

Baker19
01-22-2007, 04:07 PM

x2

fates_child03
01-22-2007, 04:45 PM
I agree I'd rather get my fat sources from nuts, avocadoes or fatty fish or olive oil over milk. I personally also prefer the taste of skim milk over the rest.

jf1
01-22-2007, 04:53 PM
skim milk actually has more protein compared to 2%...when you remove the fat you are left with a higher amount of protein and carbs per unit volume

Lager1
01-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Whole milk is one of the best things you can consume to gain quality mass. It is full of low gi carbohydrates, excellent milk protein, and healthy fats that are neccessary for optimal hormone production.

OzStriker
01-22-2007, 04:55 PM
I believe fats should come from a variety of sources, just like protein and carbs.

I drink around a liter of 1% milk a day, 1% is a nice compromise I believe, it allows me to make up my fat quota each day along with some nuts, peanut butter, eggs and salmon.

I cannot stand skim milk and find whole milk just way, way too filling, and the fat does really add up if you are drinking whole.

Lager1
01-22-2007, 04:59 PM
I believe fats should come from a variety of sources, just like protein and carbs.

I drink around a liter of 1% milk a day, 1% is a nice compromise I believe, it allows me to make up my fat quota each day along with some nuts, peanut butter, eggs and salmon.

I cannot stand skim milk and find whole milk just way, way too filling, and the fat does really add up if you are drinking whole.

It is quite a bit of fat! But it's perfect if you need to gain weight. Not the healthiest to drink 1 gallon of whole milk per day, but it will help your gains.

MCconditioner
01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Whole milk is one of the best things you can consume to gain quality mass. It is full of low gi carbohydrates, excellent milk protein, and healthy fats that are neccessary for optimal hormone production.

low GI but extremely insulogenic

and Boyscout--saturated fat may be good for adding muscle, but eating it in excess is not necessarily a good long term strategy for overall health

Banme123
04-14-2007, 01:06 PM
low GI but extremely insulogenic

and Boyscout--saturated fat may be good for adding muscle, but eating it in excess is not necessarily a good long term strategy for overall health

What is insulogenic?

rush2905
04-14-2007, 01:24 PM
more fat obviously... skim has less carbs, sugar, cholesterol.

BNR
04-14-2007, 02:25 PM
when cutting I'll use skim milk, when bulking I use 2% for the extra cals

Benj4
04-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Pasteurized milk is crap. It is way overrated. Buy Raw Milk

http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20000208.htm

http://www.lammd.com/A3R_brief_in_doc_format/2003-No2-Milk.cfm

http://www.dolfzine.us/page185.htm