PDA

View Full Version : Motivation for people on shift work!

mp0031
07-04-2009, 06:20 AM
I work shift and cant seem to find any motivation to workout. Anyone have any tips to help out.

Rick1824
07-04-2009, 06:57 AM
I work shift and cant seem to find any motivation to workout. Anyone have any tips to help out.

I'm not sure what shift work is, but I put in about 45-50 hours a week Monday thru Friday, and that doesn't include the commute. So I workout Saturday and Sunday mornings, and then pick 2 or 3 nights, usually Tuesday thru Thursday, during the week to get a workout in. I also workout at home so there is no traveling to a gym or any of that, which makes a big difference.

I think that when it comes down to it, in your situation it may be more a matter of time management and planning than motivation. But being flexible and planning ahead is good, you don't have to workout the same time on the same days each week. If the problem is getting into the gym, then honestly evaluate what it's costing you to go to a gym. The membership and fees, your drive time and expense there, your actually time that you're spending to drive back and forth, and compare that to what it would cost you to set up a home gym in your basement or garage.

dcamnc
07-04-2009, 07:55 AM
I work rotating 12.5 hr shifts, and I agree with what Rick1824 said. It's more of a schedule thing for me. You have to be flexible with your workout times. Setting up a home gym has cut MUCH time off my workouts. It is hard to be motivated after working 12 hours; you have to want it.

LeroyJenkins
07-04-2009, 08:30 AM
One of the hardest things for me to do was to hit the gym after a 12-hour shift. I found it was easier and made my day go by a lot quicker if I went to the gym before work or split my routine and go before and after work. Going before work woke me up and energized me for the rest of the day.

More than anything, I've found its a time management issue and motivation issue. You're exhausted after work, and have a ****-ton of things to do before going to bed, and sometimes the last thing you want to do is to work out.

What kind of schedule do you have? Du Pont?

NurseRatchet
07-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I work 12 hour days and nights (rotating)

I found the home gym idea made it a lot easier (I am doing the P90X DVDs right now). I also have a small gym in my apartment complex as well with weights/treadmills.

When I work dayshift (7a-7pm) I'll try and eat a light snack late in my shift, then get home and workout right away without thinking about it too much...otherwise I'm sure I'd make excuses not to work out.

When I work nightshift (7pm-7am) I make myself wake up earlier around 4:30pm and workout then before I go to work.

I think its just something you have to schedule in and not make it a negotiable thing. Almost like its your job.

I don't know, that's what has been working for me! Good luck!

New Evolution
07-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I used to do shift work where I have 5 different working schedule each week. So what I do is eat an hour before I am off and take an energy drink as well. So when I get off work, I head straight to the gym.

dcamnc
07-06-2009, 06:13 AM
I used to do shift work where I have 5 different working schedule each week. So what I do is eat an hour before I am off and take an energy drink as well. So when I get off work, I head straight to the gym.

Oh yeah! A bit o' carbs and a red bull does wonders for me in the gym after working a long day (some people can't sleep with all that energy/caffeine, some can YMMV).

owlxxx
07-22-2009, 10:13 PM
All I can say is keep hitting the gym and watching your diet.
I sometimes work 32 hours straight, what that does is ruin 2 days straight of exercise. Sometimes It ruins 3 days, because i need recovery time after being up that long. Even though my job is very physically demanding, i do not consider work exercise.

So what I do, is that every day I get to go to the gym, I make the most of it. Every day i try to eat as good as I can. somedays we only work 10 or 12 or 16 hours, on those days, I try my hardest to hit the gym right after work. then I go home, shower and sleep.

If I were on shift work, I would workout before going to work if it was graveyard shift. If it were swing, I would go right after work.

I did work graveyard for 2.5 years. I just slept during the day when all my friends were at work. And i worked when they were asleep.

sdfksdhgkhsdg
07-22-2009, 11:03 PM
I work 10 hours a day every day. (Mon-Sun)

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are my gym days.

Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays are my cooking days.

On Sundays I get to rest.

Taking a break now but starting work in a month.

I can give you guys one advice: try to get everything done vrey fast. Before it took me 2-3 hours to make like 15 meals but now i can do it under an hour.

CEPCNC
07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
84 hours a week on 2nd shift hours...I just had to get my eating schedule on track, the rest was simple. I workout in the morning before work starts. I can;t wait for this place to get a gym in it!

LoafLegacy
07-25-2009, 01:26 AM
my shifts vary throughout the week and it's a pain!

9:00 - 5 = workout after work
10:30-2 *break* 5-9 = workout during break *pressed for time but I've never worked out too long where i've been late for work
5-11 = workout before work.

seems to work fine for me now.

Time management! You can do it!