PDA

View Full Version : Help quitting smoking

Chris2009
07-03-2009, 02:11 AM
hey guys iv been smoking/trying to dip to help quit.. but it just dosnt seem to help.. i find myself always giving in to the crave.. i dont smoke alot.. 1-10 a day.. but id rather it be 0 i need some ways and advice from others on how to handel the pressure

Senecan
07-03-2009, 02:27 AM
Start hangin out with non smokers...You probably started in order to fit in with a group right? So now try and quit in order to fit in, in another group.

I never started smoking, but im assuming its kind of like dieting. You want to eat certain things, but you cant because of your diet. I really want chocolate cake, but i stay away from it because im tryin to cut fat.

Chris2009
07-03-2009, 02:43 AM
yeah i know how it is.. its like if your always around junk food all the time chances are your going to give in sometimes.. and in this case im always around cigs.. so i give in.. i mean its hard but i need to quit for myself i dont want to end up addicted like hell to these good for nothing things

abzz
07-03-2009, 02:46 AM
nicorette 24 hour patch.

you gotta start somewhere:)

morikk
07-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Nicorret Gum worked well for me. Get the flavored kind though, the original is nasty.

Rick1824
07-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Sunflower seeds, sugarless gum, life savers, the patch, hypnosis, there's a thing that they do to your ear lobe that's supposed to make you quit. Really just have to go trial and error until you find something that works for you and stick with it until you're over it. Accepting those things in your life that bring about your desire to smoke and maybe altering those a bit if at all possible to take away your desire to smoke. Though realisticly, down the road you more than likely are going to want to give up what ever you replace the smokes with.

I managed to finally quit after going into the ER, having the doc stab a plastic tube into the front of my chest, then 2 days later he followed that up with cutting my back open like he was gutting a fish and taking out a portion of my right lung. All together 8 days in the hospital with a tube in me. 2 months off of work most of it spent on pain killers and tons of follow ups over the next 2 years. Was sort of extreme but it worked.

Life savers, a good dentist, and then sugarless gum.

Gx7Pyro
07-04-2009, 01:56 AM
record how many you smoke per day for a week. make a line graph (number of ciggs in y-axis, days on x-axis). find the average number. i will assume 10 (for easy numbers). cut down 2 a week, so in 5 weeks your done. at the same time, do something you want to do. for example, if your goal is to eat 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day, each week, eat 1 serving more a day. every day graph your results (both ciggs and fruits/veggies). if you screw up one day and smoke an entire pack, then oh well. include it in your graph, but make sure to notice that the overall trend of your graphs are going down. at 3 weeks, give yourself a prize - something small to look forward to. at the end, go and splurge on something you really wanted as good job type of thing.

**it is almost guaranteed that you will screw up at least once. most people who try to quit screw up, get depressed over it, and go back into their normal habit. what you need to do when you screw up is know that the overall trend is going down, so even factoring in your screwup, your still getting better.

and dont replace smoking with dip. replacing a bad habit with another doesnt seem too productive.

shivers316
07-04-2009, 08:27 AM
+1 for the patch. I quit using the patch 5 years ago and haven't looked back since.

JamesYancey
07-04-2009, 10:24 AM
I used to smoke, but i smoked cigars after buying a ton of them when i went to Belgium. What you have to do is get rid of it and find something else that is an addiction, after quitting or trying i went and got an xbox and dedicated my life to fitness. I haven't smoked anything since i was 16 and i turn 19 this year, i'm much fitter and live a healthy lifestyle its great

Good luck my friend all the best

VirusTi
07-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I dont know what I can do to motivate you other than posting this picture:

http://www.hpb.gov.sg/data/hpb.home/media/pressrelease/sample.jpg

But yeah man, when I took exercise science in grade 12, we watched some video about smoking (dont ask why, it was related to athletes or something haha) and yeah it showed how like all this disgusting pasty stuff gets built up inside your air ways and yeah even the smokers in our class did their best to stop smoking after that video

javyn
07-06-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm trying to quit too. It's tough. Showing pictures of cancerous mouths and **** doesn't do anything. We all know it's bad for you, we're not stupid. It's an addiction :)

I'm going to try with the Alan Car ebook thing.

bluebomber85
07-07-2009, 12:30 AM
i was a long time cigarette smoker for about 8 years.. i quit for one year and now i've been smoking cigars pretty steadily.. 1-3 a day.

attempting to quit tommorow. no wait..

..quitting tomorow.

LCking187
07-07-2009, 12:42 AM
patch= still get nictotine without the smoke. then just ween yourself off those

Gx7Pyro
07-07-2009, 01:58 AM
patch= still get nictotine without the smoke. then just ween yourself off those

while nicotine is addicting, its not the reason why most people smoke. for most people, its an oral fixation. ask anybody who is a true smoker (not a social smoker) and they will all say that lighting a cigarette (even a ultra light, or something with very little nicotine content) will always be better than putting on a patch.

dggibbons
07-07-2009, 09:21 AM
I smoked from the time I was 18 till around 3 months ago. Something thats been helping me is actually toothpicks. My biggest problem to overcome was smoking while driving which was a huge habit to break. Start off slow and try to find something that will "take the place". For me chewing on a toothpick worked pretty well.

InHonorInMind
07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Hang in there. You have to be 'ready' to quit. All times that I've been forced to or didn't really have the motivation to quit it just didn't last that long. But when you are mentally ready...and you think about having the control, then you can do it no problem. My biggest issue with smoking (5+ years) was that it got to a point where it was controlling me and I was no longer in control of smoking or not. I was smoking all the time and even more so when I was stressed out! It got really out of hand. It botherd me not being in control and having a true lack of discipline. Once I realized that, I quit right away. Cold. But...it definetly was hard....but now I'm so much happier. My teeth are so shiny and white, my clothes smell GREAT ALLL THE TIME!!! AND my hair is so soft and not to mention all that money I spend on perfume...I'm finally able to smell it! Also, my cardio is through the ROOF!!!! Just really decided if you're ready or not. If you are, you just quit.

GetItBack
07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I quit almost 21 years ago cold turkey. Took me three tries. When I quit I said to a friend of mine, "Now I have this strange after dinner mint taste in my mouth". He replied, "Yeah, that's called fresh air!"

Don't bother with gum or the patch, you'll just get addicted to that stuff.

mikeland
07-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Go check out www*whyquit*com .... there are some really hectic stories aswell what smoking is doing to your body. I am on day 13 no ciggies and going strong. You just have to want it badly enough!

LIguy
07-10-2009, 07:26 PM
My dad tried the patches but quit when he got these headaches...

Well to break an addiction, people have mentioned it, it's best to start slowly. Hard to quit cold turkey just because the addiction is great. Just smoke less and less. but I guess it would be hard for you since you can smoke between 1-10 or 1-9...

Well I have a couple of friends who smoke when they're stressing or trying to relieve themselves temporarily from something they didn't want to deal with at the moment. I guess instead of smoking, try to fill that short 5 minutes time with something else.

Not sure if that'd help though.

I know my mom quit when she had my brother and I.

detroit pistons
07-11-2009, 11:15 AM
while nicotine is addicting, its not the reason why most people smoke. for most people, its an oral fixation. ask anybody who is a true smoker (not a social smoker) and they will all say that lighting a cigarette (even a ultra light, or something with very little nicotine content) will always be better than putting on a patch.

dead on man!

jasonjinx369
07-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Wow some of those pics were extreme.

I smoked when I was a teen but kicked the habit thank god.

I still do smoke at night on occasion but its a lil whacky ;)

JuiceMonkey69
07-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Honestly as a teen my self the first time I can actually say I started smoking was half way through 15. I'm 17 now and quit about 2 months ago. I could have quit any time I wanted I just didn't feel the need to. You need to ask your self is it really worth it? What good does it do... It may help you pass by time or relieve stress, but think of other options. Since this is a body building forum this is also one of the best options. Why not go to the gym and take that stress or what ever you may have to help you push and work out harder. Instead of doing something for your body it will make it more healthy!!! I know not all people may be like I am and be able to quit at any time, but just try your hardest. Dont think about tomorrow think about 10 years down the road!

coolhandlulu
07-13-2009, 04:20 PM
First you're addicted to the nicotine. Second you're addicted to the habit itself. Actually there are probably a few more for a lot of people such as the oral fixation, the excuse to go take a break at work, boredom, etc. But basically a double edged sword.
I have been "nicotine" free for 3 weeks now. I started out with the same mindset that an alcoholic would in AA. I am a nicotine/cigarette addict and I always will be one. I can never pick up a cigarette again after I've kicked this habit. I am in the first stage of tackling this highly addictive legal drug. I have the nicotine addiction under control at this point by substituting herbal cigarettes. In this way, I still have the crutch of the "habit" of smoking to stand on while getting my body clean of nicotine. Now, I am down to smoking a few herbal cigs a day. I will cut them totally out in a week. I quit once before doing this method and stayed cigarette free for well over a year. Then like a fool I picked up a cig and was back to fiending again. That's why I started out with changing my mindset about smoking. Good luck!

andrewcons
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Here's how I quit:

Cold Turkey! I woke up one day and I quit. Was smoking 2 packets a day. No gums, no patches, no start smoking less or lighter, nothing. The way I see it, any other ways to add nicotine to your body gets you back to stage 1 and the quitting process takes much longer. My way, withdrawal symptoms will start going away as early as 3 weeks.

Things that will help ALOT:
- cardio every day! Helps open up your lungs and your organism slowly starts to reject cigarettes. Plus it will help you on your bodybuilding goals
- vitamin C, fruits etc
- an iron will. It doesn't matter if you are around smokers, just make your decision and stick by it. If your smoker friend doesn't respect that and keeps offering you smokes then he ain't a friend

Some things to keep in mind is that the withdrawal symptoms SUCK HARD. You'll get headaches, become irritated by many things, get mood swings, have difficulty concentrating, have cravings, insomnia etc

BUT they will go away. Quit cold turkey and it will take less time. Just 1 measly month to control yourself and everything will come back to normal and you will be happier, be able to taste better, smell better, work out better. You will see...

Remember to cardio!

Good luck

kiwi_chick
07-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Hang in there. You have to be 'ready' to quit. All times that I've been forced to or didn't really have the motivation to quit it just didn't last that long. But when you are mentally ready...and you think about having the control, then you can do it no problem. My biggest issue with smoking (5+ years) was that it got to a point where it was controlling me and I was no longer in control of smoking or not. I was smoking all the time and even more so when I was stressed out! It got really out of hand. It botherd me not being in control and having a true lack of discipline. Once I realized that, I quit right away. Cold. But...it definetly was hard....but now I'm so much happier. My teeth are so shiny and white, my clothes smell GREAT ALLL THE TIME!!! AND my hair is so soft and not to mention all that money I spend on perfume...I'm finally able to smell it! Also, my cardio is through the ROOF!!!! Just really decided if you're ready or not. If you are, you just quit.

I totally agree ^^
I smoked for around 7 years, and i tried quitting i don't know how many times but it never worked, then out of the blue i had an asthma attack caused by smokin, it scared the sh!t outta me and i told myself i was never going to smoke again...i'm now 17 months smoke free, with absolutely no cravings

johnnyscans
07-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Realize you're killing yourself and wasting money. Spend that money on healthy items or save it, and instead of destroying your health, focus and use the pressure and stress in the weight room.

Also, surround yourself with non-smokers. My stepfather gave up smoking after my mom gave him the ultimatum. He quit, cold turkey, after smoking for 30+ yrs. When the right reason pops up, you'll quit. Find that reason.

2.0Tsunami
07-24-2009, 08:31 AM
a lot of info in here but most of its from people that never smoked.

Read Allen Carr's book....btw, cold turkey is the easiest way to quit. Patches, gum etc just keep you addicted to nicotine that much longer.

yard_ape
07-24-2009, 09:06 AM
If you think it is the habit and no so much the nicotene then try the lozenge - they are still a habit and i know some people struggle to cut down on them once the cigs are no longer a problem.

i'm currently trying them for the second time and have gone for 3 weeks without a cigarete. in the beginning i was having a lozenge every hour and they really work. After a few weeks i don't seem to need them as much and maybee have one every 4 hours or so - coffee break, after dinner, ect.

After quiting for 6 months last time I stupidly had a few while having a beer - that packet came home with me and wouldn't you know it, full time smoker again. i think this was the most important thing to take out of last time - I can't just have one socially!

2.0Tsunami
07-24-2009, 09:26 AM
If you think it is the habit and no so much the nicotene then try the lozenge - they are still a habit and i know some people struggle to cut down on them once the cigs are no longer a problem.

i'm currently trying them for the second time and have gone for 3 weeks without a cigarete. in the beginning i was having a lozenge every hour and they really work. After a few weeks i don't seem to need them as much and maybee have one every 4 hours or so - coffee break, after dinner, ect.

After quiting for 6 months last time I stupidly had a few while having a beer - that packet came home with me and wouldn't you know it, full time smoker again. i think this was the most important thing to take out of last time - I can't just have one socially!
it's the nicotine...you never got it out of your body the first time, so you were still addicted to it. That's why nicotine/patches etc have such a low success rate.

People think that when you quit smoking that you are missing out on something...on the contrary, you are gaining something. You will no longer need a cigarette to 'enjoy' yourself, you anxiety/stress levels will be lower, you will actually pity the people that are still smoking, especially when it's -32 degrees outside. There are SO many things to gain by not smoking and nothing to gain from continuing to smoke.