PDA

View Full Version : Hate and Anger as sources of motivation

7Happy7
06-30-2009, 02:19 PM
in my experience, extreme hate and anger only got me to the gym with a pissed off look on my face. once there my workouts were not effective as anticipated. I felt very burnt out very quick.

These are very negative and heavy emotions and if i had to choose, i'd choose a happy workout over an angry one.

How do you guys put anger to use ?

lincolnmkv
06-30-2009, 02:25 PM
You need to get angry in between sets - Not before you go to the gym.

Wtf?
06-30-2009, 02:32 PM
i lol @ the guys who walk around the gym all pissed off looking with their chest puffing out thinking thier Popeye on spinach.

JerG
06-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I find these to be the best sessions haha. Like when **** goes on in your life that you feel like you can't fix, just go to the gym, play your music and let it out.

LEE-TARQUIN-UK
06-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Negative thoughts can be put to good practice in terms of motivation. i built up quite alot at the age of 18 when I split from my first girlfriend. Controlled anger in the gym can make for a good workout as I was going to the gym to avoid kicking the crap out of her new boyfriend....

I wasn't in the gym in a frenzy though, just taking my prolonged anger out

CoachNoodle
06-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Hate and anger are good aggressive emotions and would seem appropriate for crushing the next set of squats but what do you do with the next set? You end up looking ridiculous with a piss-off look on your face. If you are antisocial and ok with that, use what works for you. I think you can be aggressive and get a great workout with out looking like your girl friend just banged your best friend. I don?t think our pro athletes are opting to play a game instead knocking off someone on the opposing team. You want to win your personal battle in the gym, whatever that may be, and that in itself should spur on enough aggression to get you through.

Il_Dago
07-01-2009, 08:08 AM
When I use anger at the gym, it's mostly anger at myself. Feeling inadequate, not good enough, whatever. After knocking out a full workout I feel validated.

I don't think it really matters what drives you, as long as your driven. Take a look at all of the famous people that **** up in their personal lives. Do we stop going to their movies? Stop attending their sports games? Stop buying their merchandise? Rarely, if ever. People only care about success. They won't know or care about the sacrifices you make to get there. To me, if that means I have to work out with a huge chip on my shoulder to get to where I want to be, then so be it.

calango1210
07-01-2009, 08:13 AM
The feeling of anger is a message that your brain is sending to your body saying that you have violated some standards you have set for yourself.

For example, you may get angry from looking in the mirror and seeing yourself out of shape because you have set the standard on your life that you need to look great. The trick is to acknowledge the message and take massive action. It's not good to keep feeling angry, you have to snap out of the emotion by converting it to something positive.

Grimbeard
07-01-2009, 08:17 AM
As far as i can tell being pissed off always ruined my workouts. Now if you wanna talk about taking out aggression on punching the heavy bag that's a good way to channel negative energy imo

Omfgorzzz
07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I have hate and anger from time to time when I'm lifting but just make sure you learn to show no emotion. Keep some composer.

Il_Dago
07-01-2009, 08:58 AM
As far as i can tell being pissed off always ruined my workouts. Now if you wanna talk about taking out aggression on punching the heavy bag that's a good way to channel negative energy imo

I second the heavy bag. Also, wailing on a tire with a sledgehammer works wonders and costs significantly less (I scored a used tire for free and an 8lb sledge for $15). I didn't realize how much of an outlet that was until my neighbors peeked over the wall to see what all the commotion was about during one of my "Beat the hell out of the 70R19.5" workouts.

LIVE_FAST_
07-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Controlled rage and hatred towards thoughts, not the current plane that you are in.

Nainoa
07-01-2009, 10:24 AM
in my experience, extreme hate and anger only got me to the gym with a pissed off look on my face. once there my workouts were not effective as anticipated. I felt very burnt out very quick.

These are very negative and heavy emotions and if i had to choose, i'd choose a happy workout over an angry one.

For me... Over the course of my life I've learned to transform my negative energy into "Anger." Because Anger can at least be more productive than say sadness.

That being said though... Anger is for Cardio/Heavy Bag day... Not lifting day...

As I learned during my time dabbling in the Martial arts... The guy who wins the fight is the one who keeps a cool head, and doesn't rely on Adrenaline for his power... His true power is at his will at all times... The man who relies on Adrenaline for power is only powerful for a moment and knows only weakness from then on.

So putting that kind of energy into lifting... Seems to always turn itself into something counter productive.

Putting it into the heavy bag/ High intensity Cardio routine... Let's you get it out as you burn off the fire.

When it comes to lifting... I want something inspirational... Because I lift to improve myself...

And it's hard to improve yourself by setting new limits to being pissed off!
;)

iDrive
07-01-2009, 11:51 AM
For me... Over the course of my life I've learned to transform my negative energy into "Anger." Because Anger can at least be more productive than say sadness.

That being said though... Anger is for Cardio/Heavy Bag day... Not lifting day...

As I learned during my time dabbling in the Martial arts... The guy who wins the fight is the one who keeps a cool head, and doesn't rely on Adrenaline for his power... His true power is at his will at all times... The man who relies on Adrenaline for power is only powerful for a moment and knows only weakness from then on.

So putting that kind of energy into lifting... Seems to always turn itself into something counter productive.

Putting it into the heavy bag/ High intensity Cardio routine... Let's you get it out as you burn off the fire.

When it comes to lifting... I want something inspirational... Because I lift to improve myself...

;)

Well written! I agree completely.

If I bring hatred and anger to the gym I've learned to focus them out an concentrate on the matter at hand (heavy ass weight) which provides an escape from whatever was bugging me.

Anger is an irrational, erratic emotion and weight lifting is a controlled sport the two should not mix.

stefonjackson
07-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I get angry and my workouts are way better and more intense and I think of whatever I am angry about while I'm working on my reps and sets and I can do like one more rep. Being angry and antisocial is fine with me at the gym as I amthere to work out and not make friends

RLara85
07-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Hate and anger are emotions, you don't do something as dangerous as lifting heavy weights while in an emotional state. You should be concentrated, focused and intense, not hateful and angry. Those are issues to resolve outside the weight room. Yes, a lot of guys scream like crazy while lifting, but that's not anger, it's intense focus and a way to psych themselves up. Go to the gym angry about some issue and odds are you'll either have a bad workout or worse yet risk injuring yourself because your mind is somewhere else.

Nainoa
07-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Well written! I agree completely.

If I bring hatred and anger to the gym I've learned to focus them out an concentrate on the matter at hand (heavy ass weight) which provides an escape from whatever was bugging me.

Anger is an irrational, erratic emotion and weight lifting is a controlled sport the two should not mix.

Ultimately you can't truly master your body until you master your mind.

_Ragnar_
07-02-2009, 07:59 AM
The trick I find is to funnel your aggression into your workout without letting it control your workout. When i dont workout i am an a**hole.

blockmonkey
07-02-2009, 09:33 AM
I find it great to use the gym for an outlet for anger. My car was keyed from bonnet to boot the other week, before I would have used that as an excuse to hit the alcohol big time. Instead I focused that anger at the gym and tore some sh it out of the weights

cosminoltean
07-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Just the other day some dbag pissed me off in traffic on my way to the gym.. that turned out to be one of my best workouts in a while.

2.0Tsunami
07-02-2009, 11:04 AM
quote/sig worthy imo

UCFBuilder
07-02-2009, 11:16 AM

well said...officially my new quote in my sig

Danthesaxman
07-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Anger, fear, aggression... the dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Nainoa
07-02-2009, 11:49 AM
well said...officially my new quote in my sig

:) It's actually Nainoa-ism #19...

So your sig should reflect that!
;)

UCFBuilder
07-02-2009, 01:44 PM
:) It's actually Nainoa-ism #19...

So your sig should reflect that!
;)

fixed ;)

New Evolution
07-02-2009, 02:14 PM

;)

Very well said. I have not heard anything like this for ages.

Edit: I thought you were standing on a tree at first like Couraging tiger and hidden dragon. :)

Nainoa
07-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Very well said. I have not heard anything like this for ages.

Edit: I thought you were standing on a tree at first like Couraging tiger and hidden dragon. :)

LOL...

Those are my Heirloom tomato plants as of yesterday...

Just showing off how big they are on my 6'4" frame!

As for my post/the Nainoa-isms...

It's safe to say that I'm not known for being shallow!

It's all a part of the Modern Philosophy Book I'm writing currently titled "Living Forward."

Thanks

Jarhead274
07-02-2009, 05:43 PM
If I start my workout calm or happy I feel like I'm just going through the motions and exercising. Hate and/or anger add a ****load of intensity to the workout. I push a lot more weight for more sets and reps. I have no trouble focusing. If anything my focus is intensified. I'm antisocial and look pissed all the time anyway so that doesn't really matter. Keep in mind we all respond differently to emotions and situations so go with whatever works for you.

The only downside to using negative emotions is that it can cause overtraining.

Gx7Pyro
07-05-2009, 01:36 AM
ive noticed that while hate and anger give me a good energy source, they are horrible for a workout. i overtrain as it is - i just love lifting. adding negitive emotions are a good way for me to spend half my day at the gym. also, it makes me go crazy with my sets. when i benched angry, i bruised my chest. deadlifting angry left me with a rolled ankle. ive gotten many injuries by going to the gym filled with rage.

and ive noticed that my workouts arent as enjoyable. sure, using the iron to get rid of the hate results in an intese workout. but i dont enjoy it as much. i dont enjoy the burn. i dont enjoy the sweat. i dont enjoy the anticiaption of my next set, or the relief afterwards. working out with a clear mind is the way to go.

St3vv0
07-06-2009, 02:39 AM
I know exactly what you mean OP. One of the reasons that I came into bodybuilding was because I was angry at the bullying I received at school and also I was angry that none of the girls seemed to take me seriously at all because I was so skinny and they just seemed to maniuplate me. So it gave me a push to get started and then if I got angry in the gym I could use that to snap out of the tiredness and give it my all!

dcamnc
07-06-2009, 05:58 AM
I've tried using anger during lifts, but I found that it screws me up more. It might work for powerlifting or bodybuilding better though.

nik2k385
07-06-2009, 07:30 PM
It can be effective between sets, especially towards the end when I'm feeling tired. But I'm a very positive person and I'm uncomfortable with manufacturing angry, negative feelings.

When they're there I do use them though.

lisapmyers
07-06-2009, 08:00 PM

I totally agree with you! I can't even work out to angry music. Ruins my whole workout!

XCESSIVE_FORCE
07-07-2009, 07:52 PM
I have rarely had a great workout while being pissed off or full of hatred. When I am in the best mood is usually when I have my best workouts.

Even as much as bodybuilding if physical I'd say at least that much if not more is mental.

Il_Dago
07-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Found this article on the subject:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_5_19/ai_100545082/

It actually makes a lot of sense. When I go into a workout pissed off, eventually it changes to "No, **** that. I'm strong. I'm going to beat the hell out of this work out and be better at the end of it."

hankst
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
My motivation is based on hatred and anger, but focussed on myself.

well, at least it's better than self pity...

drizzt45
07-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Emotions can definitely be used to make workouts more effective. In my opinion if you try to get too angry then you'll start to lift stupid and injure yourself. Know how to channel your anger correctly and lift smart. You'll be able to get into a zone and it feels great and you'll be able to put up some good numbers.

Meshane
07-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes, good. Use your anger to make you powerful

http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/palpatine.jpg