PDA

View Full Version : Carb Cycling, help me out here.

jmotown187
06-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I just wanted to know if I was screwing this up. I am 185lbs, 5'8, work out mon,tue,wed, and fri weight training. I am dieting, trying to hit 170lbs. I also do cardio 3 days a week, and play basketball about 3 hours a night 4 nights a week. People say I should eat more but I struggle eating 2300cal a day as is.

Right now I eat 40-70g of carbs on low days. 150-175g on my highest day, and on no carb days I eat about 30g of carbs about 45min before I workout. I am eating around 2300cal on high days, on no days around 1500cal or so. I always eat 180g or more protein everyday. My fat intake varies. The bulk of my carbs comes from high protein wheat bread. I basically just cut out my breads and pastas when I am on no carb days.

mon - low
tue - low
wed - low
thur - no
fri - high
sat - no
sun - no

On my low days I consume the bulk of my carbs pre-workout.

bigjaenat
06-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Looks fine, how long have you been doing this? Is your weight going down?

You might want to make your high day a bit higher.

jmotown187
06-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I am just starting actually. Today is my first day. I was on the 40/40/20 for about 2-3 months. I was as high as 205lbs so the 40/40/20 was working up until a few weeks ago. I figured it was time to switch it up and I have heard great things about this. It's just a little confusing, I see people eating 150g on low days and I just can't eat that much. Although on my high days I could eat more, on those days my wife makes me a nice pasta dinner.

bigjaenat
06-29-2009, 12:09 PM
How many carbohydrates were you eating on your previous plan?

jmotown187
06-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I was eating about 160g carb, 214g protein, and about 70g fat. Which was I believe around 2100cal. All clean, I am pretty strict on myself with my eating. I did however gain 4lbs a week ago and I was told that it was muscle but I am not to sure on that. My over all goal is weight loss, losing a little muscle I can handle if it means I get rid of the majority of my fat. I was at 28% BF, I believe I am around 19-21% now.

bigjaenat
06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
I was eating about 160g carb, 214g protein, and about 70g fat. Which was I believe around 2100cal. All clean, I am pretty strict on myself with my eating. I did however gain 4lbs a week ago and I was told that it was muscle but I am not to sure on that. My over all goal is weight loss, losing a little muscle I can handle if it means I get rid of the majority of my fat. I was at 28% BF, I believe I am around 19-21% now.

I would set it up like this..

High days- Protein 180g / CHO 300g / Fats (only from protein sources, keep low)

Medium days- Protein 220g / CHO 120-150g / Fats 50-60g

Low days- Protein 220g / CHO 50-70g / Fats 50-70g

I would put the high day on your weakest body part training days, medium on the other 3 training days and low on the cardio only days. I think what you have set up is too low for you. I think you can lose weight on this. What do you think?

jmotown187
06-29-2009, 12:34 PM
It looks pretty good to me, I would have to work to get my high day carbs in I think. So you think I should not have any no carb days? My high day right now would be on my back day at the gym. I eat a lot of high omega 3's smart choice Pb, on med days I would eat my pb with bread and then have my tuna on bread also. High days would be the same but instead of my chicken dinner I would have a pasta dinner. I would also need to get my egg whites on bread. I suck at getting my carbs in if you can't tell. Seems protein is really easy to get. Fats are easy to control also, just eat clean. Any other advice to maybe bump my carbs on med and high days?

caa5000
06-29-2009, 12:39 PM
good luck keeping up a low carb diet in the face of 12 hours of basketball per week

bigjaenat
06-29-2009, 12:42 PM
It looks pretty good to me, I would have to work to get my high day carbs in I think. So you think I should not have any no carb days? My high day right now would be on my back day at the gym. I eat a lot of high omega 3's smart choice Pb, on med days I would eat my pb with bread and then have my tuna on bread also. High days would be the same but instead of my chicken dinner I would have a pasta dinner. I would also need to get my egg whites on bread. I suck at getting my carbs in if you can't tell. Seems protein is really easy to get. Fats are easy to control also, just eat clean. Any other advice to maybe bump my carbs on med and high days?

I would give it a try and see if your weekly weight loss goes down. I wouldn't implement any no carb days unless weight loss stops. And even if it does, I would just lower the low days first, not take all carbs out.

There are other sources of carbs besides bread. I would have trouble eating that much bread too. Try oatmeal with cinnamon. I can eat tons of this everyday and it never gets old.

Also on high days, I would scratch the PB. Fats should be really low on these days.

jmotown187
06-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Right now my basketball is on non work out(low carb) days and my carbs would be consumed before and after. I was thinking that would be enough to get me through but I am still learning as I go.

bigjaenat
06-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Right now my basketball is on non work out(low carb) days and my carbs would be consumed before and after. I was thinking that would be enough to get me through but I am still learning as I go.

By carb cycling, you should have enough energy for basketball any day. Just keep the carbs complex.

jmotown187
06-29-2009, 12:48 PM
I would give it a try and see if your weekly weight loss goes down. I wouldn't implement any no carb days unless weight loss stops. And even if it does, I would just lower the low days first, not take all carbs out.

There are other sources of carbs besides bread. I would have trouble eating that much bread too. Try oatmeal with cinnamon. I can eat tons of this everyday and it never gets old.

Also on high days, I would scratch the PB. Fats should be really low on these days.

Yeah I will replace my PB with some 100% Whey with skim milk. With carb cycling is the rotation of days a huge factor? I was basically doing lows on non work out days. Would that seem about right?

bigjaenat
06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah I will replace my PB with some 100% Whey with skim milk. With carb cycling is the rotation of days a huge factor? I was basically doing lows on non work out days. Would that seem about right?

Yeah, thats the best plan of attack, these are your highest fat burning days, so do cardio on them and keep training on the other days.

jmotown187
06-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all the help, I will put the final tweaks on this and hope to see some more weight go.

bigjaenat
06-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the help, I will put my final tweaks on this and hope to see some more weight go.

No problem. I think you will see some solid fat loss on this. Keep me posted and seriously EAT THE OATMEAL its delicious! haha