PDA

View Full Version : How? Working out, with busy schedule.

millerpark
06-29-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm a bit discouraged just thinking about it, which has pretty much stopped me from continuing to work out and eat...

But the issue is, I start school in August full-time. And I will also be working.
I don't see how I'm going to have time to even continue lifting and eating...
And another thing is these squats kill me. As i'm sure everyone who does squats know squats are no push over when it comes to being in pain days later. This bothers me because I can't work the way I want to, also, when I start school, I don't want to be in pain walking from class to class...

But is there anyone else here with a hectic schedule that still finds a way to eat right and lift?
How do you do it?
Also, if anyone has a suggestion or tip for squats so that they don't alter my daily routines?
Thanks in advance...

Danson
06-29-2009, 11:55 AM
The more you squat and get better at it the less its going to bother you. I squat 3 days a week and its never so bad that I dread walking around.

sweet_lew
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
I only get that 'throw me into a tub of ice for the rest of my life' feeling if I had stopped doing squats for a few weeks... I only work em once a week and I feel no pain the days after.

iDrive
06-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Go read this (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117129681) thread.

Example:

I currently work 3 jobs - 2 'full-time' (one of which is shift work with shifts anywhere from 8 to 16 hrs per shift) and one part time/ casual.
I mod on three internet boards.
I have a family I make sure to see every week.

.... And I train about 6 days a week for ~ 2 hrs a day.

Life is about priorities... If you want something bad enough - you'll make it happen. ;)

People work multiple jobs and go to school and take care of their families and still make time for the gym. You need to want to make time for the gym. You need to be willing to walk from class to class in pain. You can either suck it up and do it or make excuses and don't.

owlxxx
06-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Im an apprentice lineman, I sometimes work 32 hours straight.

The thing is that working out is like pooping or eating. It is just something I do now. It is part of my daily routine. It's like brushing my teeth every morning, taking a shower.
It gets hard sometimes, but ya gotta keep on keeping on.

-Lucifer
07-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Go read this (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117129681) thread.

I was going to link to Emma's post as well. Very inspirational.

runningtherack
07-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Some tips for schedule:
You need both time and motivation
1)Training less will crank your motivation up and help you find a time for working out. For instance, train 30 minutes a day instead of 1 hour.
2)Focusing on the basic exercises should allow you to keep progressing (if you're not already buff like a pro)
3)Do you have 1 spare hour a day? If you do and you don't workout, it's a motivation issue... Know what you're after when you work out

Some tips for squats:
1)The more you get used to it, the less it hurts the days afterwards, like any muscle groups
2)Try to do them on saturday if you don't work on sunday, or friday if you don't work on saturday and sunday, well you get my drift:)

RLara85
07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
You can be pretty fit and still have a tough schedule, there are 24 hours in a day... it takes about one hour a day 3-5 days a week to get a decent workout in, odds are you can find that time.

Being a serious bodybuilder is another story, it can be done but it's not ideal. If bodybuilding is going to be your main goal in life, you need to find a pretty flexible job, hopefully one in the business, that will be cool with you having to eat every 2-3 hours etc. With that said, it still can be done. Layne Norton is one of the busiest guys I've seen, working for scivation, getting a phd, getting married, training clients, travelling to promote things, starring in his own DVD, starring in his own series here at this site.... and through all this he still won his pro card.

Take notice: He's not here on the forums posting crap all day and wasting hours upon hours, he most likely isn't sitting around watching his favorite tv shows all the time, he probably has only about an hour of true "free time" per day (which is really all you need).

Take notice again: I just sat here typing this b/c I came from a doctors appointment and am feeling a little weak after giving blood so I figured I'd come shoot the breeze. It took me about 10 minutes to type all this.... in those 10 minutes I could have thrown my dirty laundry in the washing machine and washed a few dirty dishes. I'm not, because I need my rest (good excuse huh?), but there is always something useful you can be doing. For example you can do a load of laundry and leave a big batch of chickens cooking while you do your workout.... when your done, go through your clothes in the dryer and leave the chicken to cool. Go shower. After the shower bring the clean clothes back in and put the chicken into containers and you have food for the next few days. In about an hour and a half you took care of THREE things. It's all about how you structure your time and activities.