PDA

View Full Version : My Life Story; Motivation for you!

blast00
06-29-2009, 06:51 AM
so per recommendation from a friend, although it is VERY personal, and a sensitive topic for me, I have decided to share my life story with you guys to help motivate you.
summed up: I am 1 in 5 people to every survive an illness I had, I am the first person to ever walk after surviving the illness. now I lift weights. If any of you watch ESPN I was on one of the make a wish episodes because they thought I was going to die.

read on if you want to know more.

Maybe later I will post pictures but that is even a little more sensitive.

Warning: its going to be a long post, but it will be worth it if you are really looking to here about a miracle/ life inspiring story. I will cut out some details to try and make it not that long. Generally its a 3 hour conversation when I tell people.

Around the age of 11 I started to complain about severe pains in my right leg. My parents always said it was growing pains. Than, while walking on the way to school one day I fell, and had no idea at the time, but would not stand up for another 7 years. I could not get back up, and someone called 911 and an Ambulance came and took me to the hospital. Upon doing their initial tests they found out that I had a fever of 105.3. I was on the verge of death. They ran hundreds of tests on me, and could not figure out what was wrong with me. My parents spent every last dollar that had, transporting me to private doctors, everywhere in attempts to determine what was killing me. after 6 days I went into a comma. I was going to die. Than somehow, miraculously a doctor discovered what was wrong with me and I had a very very rare form of a tropical Staph Infection (for all of you non science people out there, I basically had an illness that was flesh eating, and flesh eating my leg from the inside out. It took them so long to figure out what I had because:
A. Cases were only EVER seen in the tropical jungles of Africa, and at the time I had never left New York.
B. Cases were EXTREMELY RARE, affecting 1 out of 10 million people, with only 2 survivors ever (fatality rate over 99.999%)

Immediate emergency surgery was performed, and what was left of my leg bone and muscle was removed (there was not much), and I was put into a wheelchair.

2 months had gone by, into my recovery and I still complained of pain. Everyone said I was just being stubborn and a baby, and my doctor was on a much deserved vacation. However, immediately he came back, felt my leg and knew something was still wrong. The infection was still there, and it had spread, up to my hip/ pelvic area. Once again, immediate surgery was performed, but this time the damage was more severe. My hip was destroyed.

my parents were given two options; either to have my entire lower body amputated to help prevent any reminants of the disease spreading; or to have a VERY (at the time, I was one of the first) experimental procedures done on my leg; metal fusion coupled with stem cell muscle injections (I am really simplifying the process, to this day I do not even fully understand what they did).

Anyway, they put 4 metal plates in my leg, in place of my femur bone which no longer existed, and took bones from my back to make an artifical hip. Then they put me in a full bodycast for 2.5 years, and I was told to be happy that I might live.

I was also told I WOULD NEVER walk again. guess what; I really pushed myself and persevered, while in my bodycast I learned to walk on my hands (my arms and way upper body were not casted). After being taken out, I had developed significant amounts of upper body strength, and was put in a wheel chair. After 2 years in a wheel chair and very intensive physical therapy, I found myself walking, with a walker, but walking.
It was a miracle. I was in all the local papers, on the news. It truely was incredible.

HOWEVER; I was not satisfied. I pushed myself beyond limits, and soon began to jog, and run, and lift weights. I grew stronger. I made a miraculously recovery, and someone made the cut for my senior year for the JV football team. It was the highlight of my life, and my parents.

Now I am trying to develop my body even further following a strict weight lifting routine, and I often face challenges. My flexibility is TERRIBLY messed up because of my leg. I also have the weakest legs you have ever seen compared to a humongous torso. I have about 40 total pounds of muscle on my lower body and over 80 on my upper body.
Bench: 185, squat: 65.

I am really now trying to work on doing the impossible and strengtehning my lower body. I am having trouble keeping myself motivated, as I said, I often run into very annoying obstacles. However, many people often tell me that all the scars I have on my body, I MOTIVATE THEM.

Hopefully, this post will motivate YOU.
If you took the time to read this long post, I hope it gave you a warm feeling.

thanks for your time.

k_delaplain60
06-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Thats good stuff man, very inspirational. Just shows what the human mind is capable of. Best of luck to you in the future...

lilhomeboy07
06-29-2009, 02:26 PM
awesome story man.

do you know how you contracted the disease living in new york?
very interesting stuff

blast00
06-29-2009, 03:01 PM
awesome story man.

do you know how you contracted the disease living in new york?
very interesting stuff

to this day, they have no idea how I got my illness. It will remain a medical mystery forever. Especially since there has never been cases of it being an airbourne pathogen.

at such a young age, with no exposure to anything, being all humble in New York, it still baffles me when I think about it.

I am the only case ever of a native American (not indian, just born in America) Citzen to have contracted the disease.

C306
06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Good to see you never gave up hope, when you loose hope, then all hope is lost. Glad to see your pushing yourself. After what you've been through in life nothing is impossible, you have proven to yourself and others that obstacles are nothing but exactly that, obstacles. We must overcome what is put in front of that.. whether that is illness or weight lifting. Keep your spirits up and never give up.

jmd92
06-29-2009, 06:19 PM
That's just amazing. I'm happy you decided to push yourself after that and recover your ability to walk. After something like that, I probably would just give up.

Kudos to you, and may you live a happier, more fulfilling life.

alexfongfong
06-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Motivational story Blast !

Whatever obstacles you run to, you have us to keep you up ! :D

KOMED
06-30-2009, 01:32 AM
that was inspiring, best of luck.

Tomek
06-30-2009, 02:18 AM
Epic will bro...

Gave me a nice slap to the face and put me in my place, will pound the legs extra hard tomorrow. Best of luck in your quest.

blast00
06-30-2009, 08:37 PM
thanks for all the comments guys. for some reason I was a little nervous, got the shivers sharing my story publically, but I took the risk, in hopes that it would motivate some people and it looks like it did. I feel motivated now =)

ln91
07-01-2009, 01:00 AM
my first post here, had to post something with that story.

first off, i don't feel sorry for you one bit. you met an obstacle, cleared, and continued on your quest of ass-kickery. keep at it man.

but one irrelevant and possible *******-type question, what did you wish for with make a wish?

blast00
07-01-2009, 03:55 AM
I grew up in new york and am a huge yankees fan. I wanted the opportunity to spend some time with some yankees esp rodger clemens.

iDrive
07-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Wow... I'm inspired,motivated and grateful all at the same time.

Inspired by the willpower and determination you had to not just accept not only that you're life could've been over but after you overcame that to not just accept that you'll be wheelchair ridden either!

Motivated to go to the gym and do legs and not take them for granted.

Thank You for posting this.

blast00
07-01-2009, 07:14 AM
often jerk acquaintances of mine, say "I am the most unlucky person they know"...
I like to do a paradigm shift and think well hell... I am one of the only few survivors of this illness and look what I do... "I am actually probably the LUCKIEST person you know."

tommmoe
08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
After reading the whole thing i got this feeling that i just wanna hit the gym for you! lol!!

Rolo01
08-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Wow, awesome story man. To many people take what they have for granted man. Your mental strength must be really really up there.

ClevageGobbler
08-05-2009, 01:37 AM
Thank you Blast00 for sharing your story. You have some fierce will power and determination. This is by far the most inspirational thread I have read on this site. Thanks and god bless

blast00
08-05-2009, 05:00 AM
thanks guys, glad to see this thread bumped. I have been struggling in the gym lately, my legs hurt its tough everyday I feel like my legs have 50 lbs pounds attached to them when I walk.

its a mix of really bad never ending DOMS and stiffness... not really sure how to handle it.

mjgowjr
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
thanks guys, glad to see this thread bumped. I have been struggling in the gym lately, my legs hurt its tough everyday I feel like my legs have 50 lbs pounds attached to them when I walk.

its a mix of really bad never ending DOMS and stiffness... not really sure how to handle it.

Wow, thanks for sharing man. And handle it by keep on keepin on!

tsunami332
08-05-2009, 11:51 AM
this needs more bumps

blast00
08-05-2009, 11:52 AM
i am so glad I posted this. I really am starting to lose motivation its really been quite a long haul for me, and its tough.

i will keep going. i will.

localstommy
08-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Amazing man! I support you to your recovery and your life long goals!! The body is amazing when the mind is brilliant.