PDA

View Full Version : Carbs on a bulk?

mike_az_21
06-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I really can not figure out on how to treat my carb intake when I start my bulk. What do the carbs exactly do for me? Since I started my cut, I have been taking in around a 100 grams of carbs while keeping my protein intake high. But, on the bulk should I still keep the carbs extremely low?

Theenforcer1
06-27-2009, 10:27 AM
carbs give you energy

get a gram of protein per pound of BW and the rest of your cals from fats and carbs so that you have enough energy to bust ass in the gym

WAPump
06-27-2009, 10:41 AM
i just started a diet like this (on advice from a trainer/bodybuilder): 25f/45c/35p
Im getting in about 310-325g of carbs a day. I dont think you want a low carb diet for a bulk, just because it takes energy to build muscle, and if youre already working a job and be at least semi-active, you dont have a lot of energy to spare (for building muscle). This is an analogy i heard about carbs vs. protein: having a low carb diet and an high protein diet is like having an awesome and powerful car (the protein), but no fuel for it (carbs).

please correct me if im wrong.

ArmyROTCCadet05
06-27-2009, 11:43 AM
i just started a diet like this (on advice from a trainer/bodybuilder): 25f/45c/35p
Im getting in about 310-325g of carbs a day. I dont think you want a low carb diet for a bulk, just because it takes energy to build muscle, and if youre already working a job and be at least semi-active, you dont have a lot of energy to spare (for building muscle). This is an analogy i heard about carbs vs. protein: having a low carb diet and an high protein diet is like having an awesome and powerful car (the protein), but no fuel for it (carbs).

please correct me if im wrong.

Here's something wrong...

45+25+35 =/ 100
45+35+25 = 105 :P

proteintime
06-27-2009, 12:11 PM
im bulking up right now and my carbs are at 500-600 a day, all complex carbs like oats and brown rice, except for post work out.you want to get big you got to eat a **** load of good foods, and train hard and smart.

mike_az_21
06-27-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't think I want to kick my carbs that high(500+)

I am thinking maybe around 250's. . . . I really want to keep fat gain to a minimum. . . My current size is alright but, I need to gain about 10 Lbs of muscle. I rather gain muscle slow and steady then gain a bit of fat along with some muscle.

It is a fact though. good food is key. . . . Brown rice, oat meal . . . Or some other type of real whole grain.

+ A lot of good clean protein. . .

Any other suggestions. . . . . . . ?

tabasco.sauce
06-27-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm also lean bulking..I workout around 7pm so I keep my carbs low.. pre-workout i get around 40-50 carbs, post workout I get around 40-50, post-post workout I get 40-45 carbs then I repeat the next day..

in a day I average 260 with ~55g fiber..

basically, carbs high around the workout..

I don't think I want to kick my carbs that high(500+)

I am thinking maybe around 250's. . . . I really want to keep fat gain to a minimum. . . My current size is alright but, I need to gain about 10 Lbs of muscle. I rather gain muscle slow and steady then gain a bit of fat along with some muscle.

It is a fact though. good food is key. . . . Brown rice, oat meal . . . Or some other type of real whole grain.

+ A lot of good clean protein. . .

Any other suggestions. . . . . . . ?

Ian_B
06-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Carbs are absolutely key to bulking.

Think about it: fat intake dictates hormone function and protein provides the "building blocks", while carbs are basically just calories, which happen to be the most effectively used as a substrate.

When bulking I suggest 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, .5 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight and TONS of carbs (2-4 grams per pound if not more).

mike_az_21
06-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Thank u for all the info. I will kick my carbs up, since it really does sound essential. Hopefully it works well.

WAPump
06-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Here's something wrong...

45+25+35 =/ 100
45+35+25 = 105 :P

HAHAHA my bad. i meant 45c/25f/30p

MIKE91
06-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Think about it: fat intake dictates hormone function and protein provides the "building blocks", while carbs are basically just calories, which happen to be the most effectively used as a substrate.

When bulking I suggest 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, .5 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight and TONS of carbs (2-4 grams per pound if not more).

thats crazy "2-4 grams per pound of body weight if not higher"?!?! that would be over 1000 carbs a day for me...wtf i agree with 2 grams per pound for some but not much more, im bulking to and at 370 grams protein around 160 grams fat and 400-450 carbs a day i was up to 500-600 carbs a day but that didnt work well for me

Ian_B
06-28-2009, 07:22 AM
thats crazy "2-4 grams per pound of body weight if not higher"?!?! that would be over 1000 carbs a day for me...wtf i agree with 2 grams per pound for some but not much more, im bulking to and at 370 grams protein around 160 grams fat and 400-450 carbs a day i was up to 500-600 carbs a day but that didnt work well for me

I said 2-4 grams per pound if not higher, everybody fits into that recommendation including you.

It's called a range, some guys will need only 2 grams per pound. However there are guys (like myself) that need tons of carbs, I'm at about 5 times bodyweight right now and I'm not gaining.

MikeD4386
06-28-2009, 08:09 AM

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7903/temp333333333.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/i/temp333333333.jpg/)

This is abolutely terrible advice. Don't follow any of this. No one cares about your opinion.

Fat absolutely does not dictate hormone production, I cant even begin to tell you whats wrong with that..

Carbs are just Calories, nothing else? um, no they are energy and other things.

You think carbs are a SUBTRATE???? HAHA, thats the funniest thing ive ever hear. Define substrate. You cannot tell me carbs are used as enzyme. Absolutely ridiculous.