PDA

View Full Version : Who do you training for?

Dedicatedforlife
06-25-2009, 10:49 AM
I think that there are way too many people in this world that train for others. They want to impress people and show off what they have done. However, in a lot of cases, this goes unnoticed or the individuals do not get the attention that they wanted. As a result...motivation goes downhill and you are back to where you started.

If you train for yourself, then the only person to judge you is you, and with the right attitude, you'll keep on progressing with your goals and actually be happy with what you are doing...

Regardless of how many times you have heard this before, some things don't change, and the people that do take this to heart, are the ones that stay motivated and succeed.

ghostofinsanity89
06-25-2009, 11:07 AM
theres a point where everyone lifts to impress other people but as we mature, we learn to train for ourselves and ourselves only.

Dedicatedforlife
06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
theres a point where everyone lifts to impress other people but as we mature, we learn to train for ourselves and ourselves only.

Personally I think the people that train for themselves get more attention from the right people than the ones showing off.

AtlBraves
06-25-2009, 02:59 PM

This is true

GBHammbone
06-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I train for myself, I want to walk by a mirror with no shirt on and throw a pose without covering my lovies.

wrecking_ball
06-25-2009, 03:13 PM
I train to be able to stop a mack truck dead in its tracks when it hits me going 80 mph.

Dedicatedforlife
06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
I train to be able to stop a mack truck dead in its tracks when it hits me going 80 mph.

That would be pretty cool I must say

bull.dogz
06-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Because I want to be stronger, faster and better than I was yesterday..........oh, and to make grown men cry. ;)

Dedicatedforlife
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Because I want to be stronger, faster and better than I was yesterday..........oh, and to make grown men cry. ;)

But you do it for yourself...and as a result make grown men cry ;)

wrecking_ball
06-25-2009, 04:36 PM

Men don't cry, its science.

bull.dogz
06-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Men don't cry, its science.

Oh really? :rolleyes:

UpInSmoke
06-26-2009, 03:24 AM
It's true training for yourself is more important, but sometimes I find that when I think of impressing certain people it makes me train harder n push out more reps on the more tougher days when I lack motivation.. I think it's ok to lift for others but to remember that your doing this for youself and only you in the end.

MesoPeaks
06-26-2009, 03:42 AM
At first coz my friends told me that my structure was wide, so I got curious about it and started comparing it to others, but when I realized that my friends were correct, that's the time when I started to feel good about my self. They basically gave me a boost and confidence through their compliments. I think it's my number one asset in my body and I am really proud and thankful that I was given this kind of genetics. I owe this to my parents. However, I think I am the only person who has this kind of structure in our family. And I should be happy about it. But does my post relate to the topic? lol

Furthermore, the only thing that can motivate you is you by keeping on progressing, not only in bodybuilding , but in life in general, in school, work, studies through reading, that way imo you are heading to a successful and happy life which is the goal of all people IMO.

Thank you for reading, no I am not bragging I am just saying lol. Peace.

:D

MesoPeaks
06-26-2009, 03:50 AM
It's true training for yourself is more important, but sometimes I find that when I think of impressing certain it people makes me train harder n push out more reps on the more tougher days when I lack motivation.. I think it's ok to lift for others but to remember that your doing this for youself and only you in the end.

very true, people may ignore you for what you have trained for, but we got to realize that we are doing this also to inspire others and basically to transform our bodies coz we want something different that would make us feel a lot better deep inside and outside. Bodybuilding is a very unique thing, it's like an addiction but good addiction that would lead us to a better living which includes discipline, better performance, better look that would make others look up to you by saying "WOW, ur huge! :eek:, I think it's an incredible feeling when you heard that coming from a stranger.

-Lucifer
06-26-2009, 05:55 AM
I do it for no one but myself.

I don't really need to be motivated. The mirror and BB.com always keeps me motivated.

LikeAMachine
06-26-2009, 06:04 AM
I am not sure that this notion of lift for yourself and yourself only is entirely true. I know that I, when I first started training trained because my father wanted me to play football so 4 years of high school I did. Then came college and I wanted to hump hot chicks all the time, so I trained for that. Only after college did I my downfall start, started getting fat and sloppy when I realized that I didn't want to do this for anyone else anymore. I woke up one day and said, I am sick of this, I feel gross and I never want this again.

The light went on and I am never turning it off.

nalu_
06-26-2009, 07:09 AM
IMO g-d gave me this incredible body and Im not going to spit in his face by wasting it. Im going to squeeze every last drop of excellence out of it regardless if I want to or not. Also I want to stop mac trucks too :p.

NorCalJR
06-26-2009, 07:11 AM
I started because I hate how unfit I was. I have a friend who is so healthy, the guy can hike up a mountain and not even break a sweat. His level of endurance is so high, and sometimes I feel bad that he is hiking or doing stuff with someone who is exhausted and out of breathe before we even start.

Also my family is not very healthy, many obese aunts uncles and cousins. I want to be the one in the family that can break that family tradition.

Also I train for confidence, and just trying to better myself.

saluted
06-26-2009, 07:14 AM
I do it for myself, nobody else. And if others like the way I look then I guess that's a plus.

Champc98
06-26-2009, 08:12 AM
I do it for no one but myself.

I don't really need to be motivated. The mirror and BB.com always keeps me motivated.

Yea same here. Hoping to bigger and stronger.

Jethrooo
06-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Train for myself, doesn't mean I don't like people noticing I'm bigger than I used to be! Just split up with a girl, now train solely for myself, to make myself feel better.

johnderriLLL
06-26-2009, 02:22 PM
i started training beacuse i looked like a lion(336). now i train beacuse i know i am a lion(236).

readyforthepain
06-26-2009, 03:31 PM
To someday become a Marine

\J/
06-26-2009, 03:32 PM
i train to become better for myself. to stay fit so i can run with my kids when im 50

motojax
06-26-2009, 04:20 PM
not new to the site but first post.

I train for myself to be in best possible shape and health I can be. And also for my kids who have not yet arrived but so that I can play and keep up with them like my parents (in their 60's and still training) do with me.

Xronoz
06-26-2009, 04:22 PM
I train primarily for myself, but I opening admit that I train for other people as well. Some of them aren't even aware that I train for them, and likely never will be, but my dedication will never die and they are part of the reason.

ME
Health, self image, etc...

MY WIFE
Who doesn't want their mate to find them irresistibly sexy?

MY KIDS
My kids deserve to have a daddy who's healthy and strong. ...someone who sets a good example for them not only mentally and morally, but physically as well. ...someone who can keep up with their energy level and who can ensure that they'll still be around later in life when they're dealing with their own "grown up" problems.

MY BROTHER
My brother and I are only a year apart. We used to train in martial arts together and had great physiques. Since then we have both become family men and had gotten fat/lazy along with it. The difference between us is that now I'm healthy again and quickly gaining my physique back, and he is doing quite the opposite. He's only 28, and his heart skips beats, he's been told (by a doctor) that he has the lungs of a 70 year old, and is just obviously in very poor health...and he's getting worse very quickly. Part of my motivation is to secretly show him that you CAN get better if you work at it.

P1zzaman
06-26-2009, 05:02 PM
I mostly train for myself. To better my body, condition, appearance, confidence, etc. Yes, there is that small inner sense that wants me to train to get comments from others (girls especially lol), but then I think to myself "If I'm investing all my time just to get a remark from some random girl then there is something wrong." So, I shrug that thought off and focus on my health later down the road and the improvements I can make in order to better myself.

Bout to hit the gym, nice little read from the posters above before I leave. True motivation.

Regards, Pizzam.

jonathan02us
06-26-2009, 10:37 PM
I train for myself .. So I can be the BEST ME possible and help inspire people to get healthy and stop living lives that leads to heart disease, obesity, etc. I also train so I can be the most healthiest (future) father/husband who will be there for everything and wont let weight be an excuse to not be able to do something.

I do today what others will not so I can do tomorrow what others can not.

freeride2space
06-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I think it is true a lot of us train for others (hey your not selfish, congratulations) but what starts out for others transforms into a personal goal.

I feel a get sense of personal satisfaction from lifting, which in the long run is what keeps me going back. Results are the best motivation

If you are not happy with the way you look and you have the option to craft, sculpt, and manipulate your body... but the only thing in the way is hard work and time. Why would you not? Motivation is the biggest obstacle, yet it is also one of the easiest things to overcome.

Your just willing to put in the work over time when others aren't, they will never know the feeling nor can you fully explain it.

If it was easy everybody would do it.

darkartist81
06-28-2009, 11:34 PM
When I started working out in the Navy, it was primarily because of boredom, my gym rat roommate and a desire to score hot chicks.

But as I got older, I stopped altogether. Because my reasons were not reasons that make you continue for years, but were short lived and made me only work out for short periods. So now I just go for myself, I have no other motives.

I'm married, but my Wife doesn't care if I am fat or fit... I don't have any local friends who go, so that's not the case. And I have plenty to do, so I'm not just bored.

I just got to the point in my life that I realized that I was letting myself slip, I wasn't actively trying to achieve anything anymore. I wasn't really living life. And with my extra weight I was also headed down a path that would probably end my life early. So I decided it was time for new goals, new achievements. I was watching Pumping Iron and realized that I wanted to see just how much I could change my body. I'm not expecting to look like a champion anytime soon, but I want to push my limits and see what my body is capable of. So my goals are simple, IMPROVE.

I take my little improvements and move on to bigger improvements. I do it for my health and for my future childrens health, I do it to make myself proud and to go as far as I can go. It's really that simple.

LEE-TARQUIN-UK
06-29-2009, 05:00 AM
As Ivan Drago said in Rocky 4.... "I fight to win, for me....FOR ME"

I first started with the notion of impressing a girl I was seeing, then to impress women generally. Now I train for myself, how it makes me feel and how I ultimately want to look... If anyone else likes it and comments all the better. If not I know I am happy what I am doing regardless.

RLara85
07-01-2009, 04:40 PM
At a root level everything we do is to attract the opposite sex. A woman doesn't wear tight jeans because the fabric is so nice, she wears them b/c she feels attractive in them and it's in our genes to cause others to find us attractive.

Imagine if the world was all straight men... all the women just died off. Do you think ANY men would work out? Do you think ANY men would wear designer clothes or even bother to shave or bathe? The moment you take away the opposite sex, sh*t suddenly gets real.
All of a sudden men would be eating beanie weenies out of a can on the street with dirty clothes, unkept beards and smelling like ass. Ivan Drago doing it for himself? Give me a break, in a world of only men, Ivan Drago would have a beer gut and be standing around belching with his buddies while kicking footballs at passing cars.

That's fundamental.

Out in the real world? Having a challenge to top everyday gives meaning to life, watching your body change as a result of your work is pretty damn cool. I don't like to blend in and be the average joe, I like to stand out in a crowd, in a good way. I like to intimidate, not be intimidated, so I do something about it rather than complain.

Health? Pshh, yeah right. If you want to be healthy just jog everyday and eat very clean. Benching 400lbs and having 18 inch arms has NOTHING to do with health, it's a vain sport and we all know it. Sure I'm in good health, I could also be in just as good health doing 25% of the work I do now, so, no, bodybuilding is not about health regardless of what anyone tells you.

Dusan_GR
07-04-2009, 02:38 AM
At a root level everything we do is to attract the opposite sex. A woman doesn't wear tight jeans because the fabric is so nice, she wears them b/c she feels attractive in them and it's in our genes to cause others to find us attractive.

Imagine if the world was all straight men... all the women just died off. Do you think ANY men would work out? Do you think ANY men would wear designer clothes or even bother to shave or bathe? The moment you take away the opposite sex, sh*t suddenly gets real.
All of a sudden men would be eating beanie weenies out of a can on the street with dirty clothes, unkept beards and smelling like ass. Ivan Drago doing it for himself? Give me a break, in a world of only men, Ivan Drago would have a beer gut and be standing around belching with his buddies while kicking footballs at passing cars.

That's fundamental.

Out in the real world? Having a challenge to top everyday gives meaning to life, watching your body change as a result of your work is pretty damn cool. I don't like to blend in and be the average joe, I like to stand out in a crowd, in a good way. I like to intimidate, not be intimidated, so I do something about it rather than complain.

Health? Pshh, yeah right. If you want to be healthy just jog everyday and eat very clean. Benching 400lbs and having 18 inch arms has NOTHING to do with health, it's a vain sport and we all know it. Sure I'm in good health, I could also be in just as good health doing 25% of the work I do now, so, no, bodybuilding is not about health regardless of what anyone tells you.

that's not the only explanation. look at the old greeks. they didn't give shyte about women 'cos they were a level beneath, and they are the first to develop the culture of athleticism and beautiful physique.
also i don't believe homo explanations of that subject.

IMO there are several reasons why people lift weights, and mostly it comes down to this:
- to reach their genetic potential and make themselves more desirable to women than other men (superficially, we are selected because of the quality of our genes, and muscles are one of the best advertisements for our genes)
- to dominate. for example, there are a lot of huge bbuilders who were pushed around when they were kids. also it always feel good to be strong(er)
- and more recently health factors, because as a society we are much more conscious about our health than ever before, because for the first time we realize how does it all function and what we need in order to stay heathly

I train primarily for myself, but I opening admit that I train for other people as well. Some of them aren't even aware that I train for them, and likely never will be, but my dedication will never die and they are part of the reason.

ME
Health, self image, etc...

MY WIFE
Who doesn't want their mate to find them irresistibly sexy?

MY KIDS
My kids deserve to have a daddy who's healthy and strong. ...someone who sets a good example for them not only mentally and morally, but physically as well. ...someone who can keep up with their energy level and who can ensure that they'll still be around later in life when they're dealing with their own "grown up" problems.

MY BROTHER
My brother and I are only a year apart. We used to train in martial arts together and had great physiques. Since then we have both become family men and had gotten fat/lazy along with it. The difference between us is that now I'm healthy again and quickly gaining my physique back, and he is doing quite the opposite. He's only 28, and his heart skips beats, he's been told (by a doctor) that he has the lungs of a 70 year old, and is just obviously in very poor health...and he's getting worse very quickly. Part of my motivation is to secretly show him that you CAN get better if you work at it.

like it!

shivers316
07-04-2009, 07:25 AM
I have to say that I train mainly for myself, but my girlfriend isn't too far behind me on that list. I definitely wanna be in the best shape possible for her. After all, I'm 31 and only getting older, and she's 23 and smokin' hot haha.