PDA

View Full Version : I'm Lost

LiveTheGoodLife
06-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey guys... it's so sad and unfortunate that my first post on this great site is in the "I need motivation" forum. I started weight lifting about 5 weeks ago with a personal trainer 3 days a week and so far it's been pretty good. However I feel so lost, I don't know if I'm seeing any results and I feel like my trainer cancels on me too often for my training to do any good. I decided to take matters into my own hands by reading articles on this site, changing my diet, trying to find the best exercises to do, figuring out when to do cardio, what supplements to take, etc. and frankly I'm more confused and less motivated than I was when I started. I originally wanted to do a 12 week transformation... but I feel like I wasted 5 weeks already and I only have 7 weeks left before I go see my family and friends back home from university.

Any advice you guys can give to get me back on track? =(

TheAntar
06-24-2009, 12:07 PM
You probably have built up some muscle in the mean time which will help the cut now by letting you lift harder than a newbie in the gym.

I'm on week 4 now myself and I've just been doing Rippetoe's workout (its on the front of bb.com if you want to find it) in the gym. My arms and legs are noticeably more muscular, and I've lost 1" off my waist and about 6 pounds so far, presumably all or mostly fat.

Diet helps a lot though -- I'm on a 40/40/20 split (not super-strict but very close) and I'm eating a lot of healthy carbs like oatmeal, sweet potatos, some fruit and milk, lots of different protein (whey, lean beef, chicken, shrimp and tuna) and a bit of peanut butter and mostly nuts mixed in for fats. Lots of salads.

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

I used this to determine my starting bodyfat % and how much lean mass I have. Someone on this board suggested multiplying your lean mass by 14 to determine your ideal cutting caloric target.

So for me my lean mass is 216 lbs, times 14, is about 3100 calories. I eat this many every day, 40% of which is roughly 250 grams of protein.

Obviously these numbers need adaptation to your own body, but they seem to be the beginnings of progress for me. I've done this without a trainer, I learned squats, deadlifts and rows etc by watching videos I found on google and youtube and watched them all 25 times or so, then I spied on a few people doing them at the gym and adapted what I saw. I've even been told at the gym by a few people that my squat form is good, esp. for someone my height, so I think I'm figuring it out.

Anyway, looking at that number ... the number of pounds of FAT on my body, thats my motivator. 62 pounds of fat I started with... and I'm still probably in the high 50s. Imagine carrying 60 pounds of potatos around on your back all the time. No wonder I feel slow when I play sports!

clarky7782
06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
First of all, good for you on taking matters into your own hands! It shows how driven you are towards meeting your goals. As far as getting discouraged...don't be. 5 weeks is hardly enough time to show significant changes. As the old saying goes..."Rome wasn't built in a day" lol. I'd ditch the trainer. He/she is probably overpriced and has also probably taught you the basics of what you need to know to get you started over the past 5 weeks. This site is a great place to get ideas and/or workout routines as well as meal plans. There is also a link on the supersite called Motivation. Check that out as well. Fitness is an ongoing process. Don't limit yourself to just a 12 week transformation. Make it a lifestyle : ) We're all behind you...that's what this site is for. Best of luck in all you do. Take care.

ZidaneValor
06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
If your trainer is canceling sessions and you've only been with him 5 weeks, get a new trainer.

LikeAMachine
06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Eat less, train more to loose weight.

Eat more, lift to gain muscle.

You do not need a trainer if you are committed. Just get into the gym and work hard at whatever you are doing. Y0u will not see results right away and in five weeks you can loose a lot of weight. Remember my friend, it is a marathon, not a sprint. If you try to sprint you are doomed to pull up too soon and not see results.

Get your diet right and take the STEADY approach to training and you will get there. It just takes time, but if you are doing this for anyone but yourself you are not in it for the right reasons.

clarky7782
06-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Also, when you're in the gym, observe the different workouts that other experienced gym goers are doing. It's a great way to find new and effective workout routines. Don't be afraid to ask people questions in they gym as well. Sure there are some people who are antisocial and want to be left alone, but the vast majority of people take it as a compliment when you ask them for advice and would be happy to help.

wrecking_ball
06-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Working out is all about patience, hard work and daddy issues. Just hang in there! Your 5'10 at 171 so you can't look too bad at all though! I bet your family still notices the work you've been putting in the gym even if you personally don't see it, go get em killer!