PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio vs. Tyreke Evans

CerealKiller
06-24-2009, 08:02 AM
I have every confidence that Ricky Rubio will get drafted before Tyreke Evans tomorrow night...yet I also have every confidence that in years to come people will say how could a team draft Rubio over Evans.

Now I really should have prefaced this comment with the fact that I have not witnessed Rubio play but once against last year's US Olympic team, and he looked pretty good with great passing and anticipation skills. He seems to have great instincts for the game. Downside I see is he looks fresh out of junior high school and will need time to develop, which the NBA isn't exactly fertile ground for this to happen. Teams get impatient waiting for players to develop and this can kill a young players confidence. I fear this is what will happen to Rubio. I think he will become a victim of unrealistic expectations and be seen as somewhat of a bust in years to come.

Evans on the other hand looks like he was born to play in the NBA. I liken his game to that of Micheal Ray Richardson's...for those of you old enough to remember Micheal Ray Richardson. I think he will be a solid if not especially spectacular NBA player who will contribute immediately if given the chance to play. He doesn't do anything particularly well, but has a good overall game and gets the job done.

Do you think I am right or wrong in my assessment of these two players?

JamesGatz83
06-24-2009, 08:57 AM
I agree. In the latest Sporting News there's a lengthy quote from Jim Boeheim about how unimpressed he was with Rubio during the Olympics. Rubio is a below-average shooter with below-average foot speed--not exactly a recipe for success in the NBA. Think Jason Kidd with far less strength and athleticism. Or Steve Nash without the shooting ability.

CerealKiller
06-24-2009, 09:00 AM
I agree. In the latest Sporting News there's a lengthy quote from Jim Boeheim about how unimpressed he was with Rubio during the Olympics. Rubio is a below-average shooter with below-average foot speed--not exactly a recipe for success in the NBA. Think Jason Kidd with far less strength and athleticism. Or Steve Nash without the shooting ability.

Thanks.

What are your thoughts on Evans?

JamesGatz83
06-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks.

What are your thoughts on Evans?

I like Evans a lot. Good athlete, good shooter, terrific length. Still early in his development, and he already has impressive versatility--could be effective at the point or the two. After Griffin, I like him as much as anyone in this draft.

gswarrior510
06-24-2009, 09:40 AM
"Rubio is all hype"

SpiderSense
06-24-2009, 09:56 AM
My thing is I really can't see Rubio being an asset at all on the defensive end.

Guarantee he's gonna be getting BEASTED.

Serious picture him guarding CP3, D-Will, Baron Davis, Rajon Rondo, Tony Parker, Rodney Stuckey, etc.

Those guys are all some combination of:

Way too big
Way too strong
Way too athletic
Way too fast

Any one of those guys has at least 2 of those things over Rubio.

drizzy
06-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Rubio will be good...an all star in 3 or 4 years...bank on that. There are alot of other players who are more NBA ready at this point...teams know this. They're looking more at his potential then an immediate impact.

stnicka
06-24-2009, 01:36 PM
their pretty similar, in the fact that their both great athelets

CerealKiller
06-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Bump for more comments

Krunk Fu
06-24-2009, 10:33 PM
I like Evans for the simple fact I haven't seen enough of Rubio to be a judge. Highlight films are one thing, but seeing a player ball for a few games helps you judge them a little bit better.

gswarrior510
06-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Idk wtf all that mumbling was about, but Jennings>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rubio

KingCanuck
06-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Ten years ago Rubio wouldve been perfect for the NBA. No NBA team wants a slow pg who cant shoot.

Have you even watched him play?

I've actually seen a full Rubio game (not Olympics) in late April. Rubio has great vision, good size, fantastic defense and good leadership. Steve Nash isn't fast by any means and hes successful in the NBA....reason I am bringing Nash up is because Rubio and Nash both depend on shifting and changing speeds and their handles to get by people, and it certainly has worked out for Nash hasn't it?

And he can't shoot? Hes 18, a jumpshot is the least of his worries and will come with the coaching that he will get.

He was 17 in the Olympics and he held his own.

v1sion
06-24-2009, 11:18 PM
"Rubio is all hype"

aren't most players that come out of HS all hype?

stnicka
06-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Idk wtf all that mumbling was about, but Jennings>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rubio

dude not what he threads about, idk i think that rubio wont be a star but he'll definately be succesfull it all depends on whether or not he develops a shot

KingCanuck
06-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Nash has been so succesful because how great of a passer he is and 3 point shooter.

Not only can Rubio not shoot, he doesnt even have a fixable stroke. no homo

Thats great, since Rubio is a great passer as well....and is already a better defender than Nash will ever be/ever was.

Jose Calderon came in to the league with no jump shot whatsoever, and right now hes one of the best shooters in the league. It can be fixed.

cellshot
06-25-2009, 10:15 PM
well...

CerealKiller
06-25-2009, 10:20 PM
well...

...I was wrong about the first part. Evans was drafted before Rubio.

TC123
06-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Bringing up Jennings is so irrelevant in this thread.

Ricky Rubio is going to need time to develop his body so he can play against better point guards. As far as him getting beasted, obviously his coaches know this and they arent gonna leave him out there to get posted up time after time with no help defense.

cp3wfu
06-25-2009, 11:37 PM
i dont get why the average nba pg will be able to dominate him more than team usa was able to

jvinci
10-06-2009, 06:19 PM
just thought i'd bump this to emphasize the amount of immaturity rubio has along with age. going back to play in europe....