PDA

View Full Version : Motivation fairly low of late, trying to bring it back.

Tirithien
06-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Figure I should introduce myself. :)

My forum handle, if there are any Lord of the Rings fans about, tells you my first name- it's White Elvish for Casey, translated as the vigilant. Always liked it, so figured I'd use it here.

Now, as to the question. I was a fairly active weightlifter throughout college, and maintained it as best I could throughout grad school and into medical school. Problem is, this last year has been rough. Finding time and motivation to lift has been a problem, what with 20 hour days and just being tired out.

I'm trying to get back to lifting again after a year of only doing so periodically, but I'm out of motivation due to being out of habit. Any ideas on kicking me in the gluteus maximus and shoving me back through the gym doors?

Thanks!

darkartist81
06-23-2009, 10:10 PM
First of all, welcome and very awesome story about the name... any LOTR fan is cool in my book. :D

As for motivation, take it one day at a time. Make it part of a schedule, something that is inflexible. Once you can do that, make a small goal. Like "I plan on going to the gym 3 days this week" and achieve it. Then say "I plan on changing my diet" and achieve it. Keep making these small goals and achieving them, both with your routine and with your frequency. Each small achievement will in turn keep the fire burning beneath you hot enough to help you get to that moment when you see results.

Once you start seeing results, it's gets easier and you are less sore as well... so just changing your body and having fun become more important. But in the beginning... baby steps.

Just think of it this way... at first you will feel like a Hobbit, small and insignifigant. It takes time to become a lean and strong Dunedain like Aragorn, but with consistent training and strong will... it can be done.

Just envision it, line up the dominos and knock them down. After a month, you won't imagine skipping a day or letting go of it... it will be part of your daily routine and as solid as eating a meal or going to sleep.

Tirithien
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I thank you for the welcome. :)

I've done it before, when it comes to reinventing myself. I was 265# of former HS football player and boxer as a freshman in college, and realized that was about 80# above where I wanted to be. That last twenty were the killer- I boxed at 245#, which was right at the split for heavyweight/super heavyweight, and I liked being there.

I was at 180# when I graduated college, 170# when I got married, and now 185#. Back to the old ways.

j40climb
06-23-2009, 10:30 PM
I agree with darkartist81. I stick to small and achievable goals. After doing those well I build back up to harder goals. After I have stuck with a routine for 3 weeks, it becomes a lot easier for me.

I would also see how you can cut down on your hours. Long days at work kill me emotionally and physically, which leaves me with crap motivation and poor results in the gym. I'm a big believer in 80/20 (i.e. 20% of what you do give 80% of the value). I would see how you can cut down at work to be more effective and then lifting + happiness will increase. :) I just did this 3 months ago with my job and it has made a world of difference for me.

badnewz74
06-23-2009, 10:37 PM
First of all, welcome and very awesome story about the name... any LOTR fan is cool in my book. :D

As for motivation, take it one day at a time. Make it part of a schedule, something that is inflexible. Once you can do that, make a small goal. Like "I plan on going to the gym 3 days this week" and achieve it. Then say "I plan on changing my diet" and achieve it. Keep making these small goals and achieving them, both with your routine and with your frequency. Each small achievement will in turn keep the fire burning beneath you hot enough to help you get to that moment when you see results.

Once you start seeing results, it's gets easier and you are less sore as well... so just changing your body and having fun become more important. But in the beginning... baby steps.

Just think of it this way... at first you will feel like a Hobbit, small and insignifigant. It takes time to become a lean and strong Dunedain like Aragorn, but with consistent training and strong will... it can be done.

Just envision it, line up the dominos and knock them down. After a month, you won't imagine skipping a day or letting go of it... it will be part of your daily routine and as solid as eating a meal or going to sleep.

lol'd at your LOTR reference. repped.

Epith
06-24-2009, 04:13 AM
Find something you really, really like to do....I went to a gym and I usually have absolutely no desire to exercises. I tried the different classes and decided that I loved the kickboxing class

Tirithien
06-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Well, I kept my promise to myself and did an hour in the gym yesterday. 30 cardio, 30 weights. Feeling pretty good, so I think I'll go again tonight.

wrecking_ball
06-25-2009, 02:09 PM
If Aragorn never worked out he would of been killed by orcs, you don't want to be killed by orcs do you? I know I wouldn't! That should be some pretty good motivation right there, in fact now im going to the gym!

epik151
06-25-2009, 06:00 PM
music?

VoxExMachina
06-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Weightses? We don't need no sneaking weightses, do we precious?

http://foreverloyal.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/gollum.jpg