PDA

View Full Version : Can't gain weight with my current Diet.

XKingOfNothingX
06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm a recovering Anorexic, And for the last year and a half I've been eating healthy. I've gained 27 pounds (Was under 140 pounds, Now 166 pounds) I'm 17 and 6ft 1 inch. The problem is I want to gain a bit more weight before I hit the gym, And with my current diet I just can't gain anymore weight, I look very frail and thin (Ill looking) and I just want to fill out a lot more before I do hit the gym, I do some cardio (30 min a day most days.) Also some Push, Pull ups. But I need a diet where I will just bulk up, I'm on the verge to just snack on junk food to gain weight, But I no that won't be healthy for me in the long run. Anyone have some suggestions on a good diet?, I'm sick of being the skinny Ill looking one.

yoyoyolilembryo
06-23-2009, 12:48 PM
eat moar nao.

seriously though, how can someone answer this without more detail?

what is your current diet?
how many cals do you take in?
goals?
lifting will help you "fill out", so start lifting today.

You say you do cardio daily? Cut back on this, or up the cals to make up for the defecit. It appears you have a **** ton of reading to do, so ill make this short and let you get to it.

XKingOfNothingX
06-23-2009, 02:03 PM
eat moar nao.

seriously though, how can someone answer this without more detail?

what is your current diet?
how many cals do you take in?
goals?
lifting will help you "fill out", so start lifting today.

You say you do cardio daily? Cut back on this, or up the cals to make up for the defecit. It appears you have a **** ton of reading to do, so ill make this short and let you get to it.

My Current Diet Is quite healthy here it is.

(What I ate yestaday, So it generally like this most days.)

Breakfast (8.00AM)

Oats /w Weight Gainer Mix (Sometimes with fruit) = 500 cal
3 eggs = 243

Snack (11.00 AM)

Small Tin of Tuna = 198 Cal

Lunch (12.30 PM)

Sandwhich = 220
2 Apples = 140

Snack (2.00 PM)

Protein Shake = 316 call

Cardio Workout (3.00 PM)

Dinner (4.30 PM)

Pasta, Veg and Meat = 600-700 Cal

Snack (5.00 PM)

Protein Shake = 316

I'll have some more things later on, If I calculate it. I'm probably eating about 2600-3000 cal a day. My goal is to just be toned and defined at a decent weight Which would be about 20-30 pounds what I am now, I don't to be some big hulk guy.

Thebigcorbowski
06-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Dude, just ****ing eat a ****ton and do no cardio. Granted, I would monitor what you're putting in your body. If you're bulking, then doing cardio will negate your weight gain.

Meathead.
06-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Focus on calorie/nutrient/vitamin dense food

Eat a meal every 3 hours or so

train heavy

drink tons of water

yoyoyolilembryo
06-23-2009, 02:29 PM
your bmr should be around 2300 for your size. So app. 3000 for bulking would be about right. However, as mentioned if youre doing 30 mins of cardio youre probably burning about 400 cals give or take in that amount of time which puts you back around 2600. That is with just cardio, keep in mind everything you do burns calories, if you expend ANY energy, youre burning calories. If you want to keep the cardio, you will have to make up for those calories with food. I think you should be taking in around 3500 calories a day for a bulk. You are eating the right things, you just need to eat more of them. I would atleast give this a shot for a couple of weeks and see how the scale looks after that...and dont worry, you wont be some "hulked out" guy after 2 weeks of bulking. :)

Ruz4life
06-23-2009, 03:48 PM
You are eating like a bird. Good job on beginning the recovery of your ED but you need to consume more caloric dense foods and possibly stop worrying so much about only eating these "healthy" choices. You will be able to eat more calories if you the foods you are eating have more calories in them. Enjoy yourself some since are trying to put on weight, eat some foods that you "think" you shouldn't.

VulcanFlame
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Your meals have a nice structure and good breakdown, but if you want to be healthy again, wait no longer before joining a gym.
The best way for you to gain weight is eating: good food AND a good amount of them per day (shoot for 2,800kcal to start) while on a good lifting program.
If you dont know where to start trainning wise, have a look at:
Starting Strengh, by Mark Rippetoe
This will serve you good at least for 6-9 months. One of, if not THE, best program for novices by far.
Also, drop the cardio a little bit while on this program at least for the first 2 months. You will fell and see the difference in no time if you follow the program and eat well.

Holyspokes
06-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Seriously guys, you are telling him to just shovel in the food and not do any exercise?

OP, Join the gym and start eating like a madman. Increase portions of everything. There is no reason to wait to join the gym.

Gsx827
06-23-2009, 04:18 PM
If he isn't gaining weight with his current nutrition, and then joins a gym and increases his activity level, he will have to compensate even more the the exercise which he is already having a hard time doing, if he has an ED you need to take it 1 step at a time..

However the ideal choice would be to eat plenty of food + do a workout program.

kthxbai
06-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Why must you gain weight before you hit the gym? If it is an insecurity thing I suggest you just get over it. Everybody has to start somewhere and any weight you gain without working out will mostly be fat unless you're a serious meso. I'm 6'1" too and I started working out at 140. I was (and still am)very skinny, but I wouldn't say I was frail looking, so I doubt you are at 166. Thin, yes.

Theenforcer1
06-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Why must you gain weight before you hit the gym? If it is an insecurity thing I suggest you just get over it. Everybody has to start somewhere and any weight you gain without working out will mostly be fat unless you're a serious meso. I'm 6'1" too and I started working out at 140. I was (and still am)very skinny, but I wouldn't say I was frail looking, so I doubt you are at 166. Thin, yes.
Read his post- he is recovering from anorexia. When you get to a dangerous level, you MUST gain weight to an approprite level before increasing activity. This is due to organ failure, liver functioning etc...

OP- just increase your portions. I would get to 170 before gymming it. I have been where you are, its not fun...and im still recovering...its a long ass process and you have to fight those demons every day.

kthxbai
06-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Read his post- he is recovering from anorexia. When you get to a dangerous level, you MUST gain weight to an approprite level before increasing activity. This is due to organ failure, liver functioning etc...

OP- just increase your portions. I would get to 170 before gymming it. I have been where you are, its not fun...and im still recovering...its a long ass process and you have to fight those demons every day.

I did read his post but I thought a BMI of 21.9 was healthy enough. If that's not the case then my bad.