PDA

View Full Version : Issues with families?

chadmac
06-19-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm just curious to know how many other people that are into working out/bodybuilding whose families are not supportive.

It was hard when I was younger to workout because I would not make the gains because I was getting any nutrition. I only could eat was given to me, and I was too young to get a job, etc.

Just want to know who else had similar cases and what they did to get past it

-Lucifer
06-19-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm just curious to know how many other people that are into working out/bodybuilding whose families are not supportive.

It was hard when I was younger to workout because I would not make the gains because I was getting any nutrition. I only could eat was given to me, and I was too young to get a job, etc.

Same thing happened to me. Almost every damn family member would try and get me to stop lifting. They'd say stupid stuff like, "weight training will cause complications later on" and "muscles are ugly" etc. I never listened to them but my diet was restricted.

I'm really glad that I can now afford to eat as much as I want and buy all the supplements I need.

Ironlife
06-19-2009, 09:53 AM
My mum and dad supports me but now that i buy all my foods i can eat what i want and as much as i want

Individuality
06-19-2009, 04:06 PM
My family doesn't choose to live a healthy lifestyle like me. They always bring home junk food and tempt me to cheat. Its difficult for me to stay on track.

chmbs1
06-19-2009, 06:16 PM
My family subsists off junk food and eating out. My dad is a diabetic and has high blood pressure, my mom is severely overweight, both have health problems related to their eating habits, yet they both insist that getting fat when you get older is 'just how it is'. Then I get the 'When I was your age...' speech (though that has stopped the past couple of years mainly because I am at the age where they started to let themselves go).

My mom tells me I'm too muscular and that my shoulders are too big, and that it doesn't look good. I love my mom, don't get me wrong, but I love being called Hercules when I go out places or have other guys come up to me and go, "Dude, your freakin' huge, do you play football or something?"

My biggest problems are my parents and family are constantly inviting me out to eat or over to social functions where there will be tons ot unhealthy food. I am serious when I say that eating too much is their lifestyle.

I hope to set a good example for my baby nephew, baby niece who is on the way, and any kids I may have down the road.

johnderriLLL
06-19-2009, 06:22 PM
my mom and dad dont care at all about how i lose weight. my moms soposto be loseing weight with me but she still wants to eat badly its hard not to eat the food she brings home.

how have i pushed past it? i do all the shopping for food. i keep the freezer packed full of frozen veggies and the fridge stocked full of fresh veggies. i know if i lose control of the good food, bad food will show up there.

nothing and no one is going to stop me from losing 136 pounds.

StuartH.
06-19-2009, 07:08 PM
My parents don't say much but mom always makes really good meals. They have always bought good food and maybe one item of junk food a shopping trip. Im very lucky when it comes to food in the house I guess.

seriouslifter
06-19-2009, 08:19 PM
this is the exact problem the only way to overcome this and do what you want in life is MOVE OUT!!! no one will ever ever stop me! i want to be such a freak and my family does not support this. they are very annoying and they always say im so big, but i keep thinking of other people that are much bigger than me and they have no idea.

footballplaya23
06-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah my family hardly ever feeds me, they would if they could but we're low on cash atm

They wont pay for a gym membership either so I gotta do everything I can to get to a gym, eat well, blah blah blah whatever it takes.

MancScott
06-20-2009, 09:55 AM
All my family eats is junkfood, yet how some of them remain in shape with no exercise is a mystery.

TooSlow
06-20-2009, 02:54 PM
My girlfriend and I quite smoking about the same time almost 2 years ago. While I've had a healthy diet for 4+ years, it wasn't always as clean as it could be. She's very good now about my insane desire for chicken, chicken and more chicken. She doesn't like to work out much but she loves her yoga. The few times we go to the gym together, I usually make it a cardio trip versus lifting. Keep at it and I'm sure it will pay off in the long run.

boogie102786
06-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah there's not really anything but junk food around my house. My mom always bakes cakes and tries to get me to eat them and most of the food she buys is microwavable ****. I just stock up on chicken and tuna mostly. I finally got one of those little refrigerators to keep all my stuff seperate cuz my mom and sister are pigs. I should take a pic of what they have in the cabinets.

chmbs1
06-20-2009, 05:23 PM
This is completely unrelated, but I am amazed how many guys my age live with their parents. I thought I was the only loser. lol.

-Lucifer
06-20-2009, 09:31 PM
This is completely unrelated, but I am amazed how many guys my age live with their parents. I thought I was the only loser. lol.
I'm an Indian and it's not uncommon for guys to live with their parents. Part of our Culture lol. All my friends live with their parents. Very few people move out and buy/rent their own places (mostly due to not getting along with their folks).

NorCalJR
06-21-2009, 09:31 AM
In my house it a little weird at times. Sometimes they are happy that they see me working out and making a small progress in my body figure. But for the most part they don't know why I buy protein powders, or supplements. And they don't understand why I have to go to a gym on a regular schedule.

vabeach6
06-21-2009, 12:29 PM

I really started lifting and working hard again about 7 months ago. Every time I would go visit my parents I would tell them about my progress and tell them about supplements I was taking. At first they were a little against it, but now they have built a full gym in their garage and my mom and dad have started to work out. I went down about a week ago, and now my 55 year old dad is asking me about taking some supplements. I was very shocked since he had been against it for a while, but i am proud they are trying to get healthier. I guess I have kind of inspired them to get fit. Dad has now lost about 35 lbs and getting stronger and mom is getting after it as well. So, they have become more supportive because I always shared progress with them and they saw that they too could live a healthier lifestyle with a little work

Samamo
06-21-2009, 08:38 PM
My mom is good about buying me healthy food even though its more expensive i.e $4 a can of salmon $3.50 250g Cottage Cheese is pretty ridiculous. If I eat unhealthy though she gets angry and says what was the point of me buying all that expensive health stuff. That issue is my fault though. I bought some Man scorch and vaporize and L-Carnitine ~6 months ago and she absolutely hated it it was like she thought I was doing drugs and now if I get a parcel in the mail she says "I hope they aren't more pills" so I guess I wish she would lay off on that.

Epith
06-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Various factors are to be considered before we can narrow it down and answer the question why my family is against what I want or what I want to do. In most cases it is not a reason to quit but a source of motivation to keep on going.

bresine
06-24-2009, 07:12 AM

Luckily my family is very supportive because they noticing me improving my life, attitude, and just everything in general. However...social gatherings with friends can still be a bit tough, especially in the summer at bars, cook outs etc. I just say to myself that some people just dont and will never understand why we do what we do.

queenofswords
06-25-2009, 07:16 AM
My family is great when it comes to my eating clean diet... I live at home so they will buy the things I eat like tuna, chicken breasts, tofu, egg whites etc...
But when it comes to the image side of things, they don't understand and dont like me trying to build up a more muscular figure. I don't rlly tell them what I do in the gym, or at martial arts- but they see the changes on me.

I guess u have to do what makes u happy.

pablocai
06-25-2009, 07:19 AM
In my house it a little weird at times. Sometimes they are happy that they see me working out and making a small progress in my body figure. But for the most part they don't know why I buy protein powders, or supplements. And they don't understand why I have to go to a gym on a regular schedule.

the same with me, same story

aggiedecathlete
06-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Not my family but my girlfriend is the worst about it. She must have a crazy metabolism cause she is always eating fast food or crap but stays thin and workouts very little. She gets very annoyed when I try to eat healthy or even try to talk about my workouts. Not supportive at all..

peteyyytran
06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
My family is pretty judgmental so at first they were saying i was getting big *buff like but i really wasn't at all* and then i started cutting for like 5-6 months and they said i look good and still big and that i look the best i have ever looked. gonna keep going though mom is pretty supportive too. my gf gets worried sometimes whenever tell her I'm gonna try new things because that's just how she is lol. But she loves how I look and always says I look fine but I want more :)

GBHammbone
06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Ok, my family is very supportive, but what chaps my backside is my gf. She has a gym membership, that is pretty much just an ornament on her key chain. Next, she B!tches when my grocery list is 2 bags of frozen chicken, fish, cottage cheese, frozen veggies and cans of tuna, this is usually right around the time she texts me a picture of how they made her burrito really big at taco bell for lunch. She was with me when i was almost 300lbs, and i dont really care if she goes to the gym or not, but quit whining when i dont want to grill my chicken, and make her some hamburger helper too. And then she says we dont spend enough time together because i go to bed around 8 everynight so i can get up at 4:30 to hit the gym for 5. Anyway, thanks for having a place for me to vent, I'm down to 263 without her help.

-Lucifer
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Not my family but my girlfriend is the worst about it. She must have a crazy metabolism cause she is always eating fast food or crap but stays thin and workouts very little. She gets very annoyed when I try to eat healthy or even try to talk about my workouts. Not supportive at all..
I feel like negging her!

chadmac
06-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Ok, my family is very supportive, but what chaps my backside is my gf. She has a gym membership, that is pretty much just an ornament on her key chain. Next, she B!tches when my grocery list is 2 bags of frozen chicken, fish, cottage cheese, frozen veggies and cans of tuna, this is usually right around the time she texts me a picture of how they made her burrito really big at taco bell for lunch. She was with me when i was almost 300lbs, and i dont really care if she goes to the gym or not, but quit whining when i dont want to grill my chicken, and make her some hamburger helper too. And then she says we dont spend enough time together because i go to bed around 8 everynight so i can get up at 4:30 to hit the gym for 5. Anyway, thanks for having a place for me to vent, I'm down to 263 without her help.

That's hilarious lol. Congrats on the weight

Jarhead274
07-02-2009, 07:07 PM
For the most part my family is supportive. My friends give me and hard time though. They think I've completely lost my mind. I've never had a gf that was supportive. They all said I spent more time working out than with them.lol

RLara85
07-02-2009, 09:32 PM
I've gotten a few comments here and there, mainly people worried about me injuring myself or supplement use. I don't think I've ever gotten sh*t about my diet.... then again I'm not the type of person to get bullied much, say something to me and I will verbally rip you apart in front of everyone, and people know that so I guess they just mind their own business haha. I guess it used to look odd in college walking around with a shaker and basically an extra bag full of protein powder, almonds, raisins and other oddities but it's better than being obese like what, 90% of America? I'd rather be the odd one out there.

Rick1824
07-03-2009, 01:56 PM

My parents really never supported much of anything either...I just did the best I could with what I had, did what I could to better myself in time, and occasionally entertained the possiblity that I had been adopted =)

Having the support and encouragement of others is great, but it's not the end all be all, what really matters is what you have inside of yourself.

everblue
07-03-2009, 04:59 PM
My family is huge on junk food. All the time my mom would make some kind of insane desert (for no reason) that would give you diabetes just by looking at it. The only way that I could get on track was to move out. So now I live by myself right next to campus in an apartment. When I go to the grocery store I buy only clean foods so i'm not ever tempted when at my apartment and I always stay broke so I dont go out to eat and feel tempted there.

-Lucifer
07-03-2009, 11:49 PM
My family is huge on junk food. All the time my mom would make some kind of insane desert (for no reason) that would give you diabetes just by looking at it. The only way that I could get on track was to move out. So now I live by myself right next to campus in an apartment. When I go to the grocery store I buy only clean foods so i'm not ever tempted when at my apartment and I always stay broke so I dont go out to eat and feel tempted there.

Hats off to you for making that move. Well done, bro.