PDA

View Full Version : Back to the gym after a short lay off

matt297
06-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Ok so we all get short lay-offs from the gym, whether it be a lack of motivation, illness, holidays, prison, getting lost in the desert and so on...

What gets you back into the swing of things? routine? kick up the arse? coming to the motivation forum on BB.com?!

davebar
06-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I recently had to skip a few days from working out, I started having body ache or like flu-like symtoms. I believe it was from overtraining.

I had been doing 1hr morning weight sessions and 45min evening cardio sessions for a few weeks, and I think either I picked up something from someone or my allergies caused it to happen. I'm not sure.

I would go 3 days on and rest on the fourth, then repeat. Maybe it was too much?

Clifford-James
06-17-2009, 01:11 PM
I recently had to skip a few days from working out, I started having body ache or like flu-like symtoms. I believe it was from overtraining.

I had been doing 1hr morning weight sessions and 45min evening cardio sessions for a few weeks, and I think either I picked up something from someone or my allergies caused it to happen. I'm not sure.

I would go 3 days on and rest on the fourth, then repeat. Maybe it was too much?

Yeah it's good to take a week or two off in between routines. You can easily overtrain if you take "some" time off i just started up yesterday after a 2 1/2 week layoff. When you do you shouldn't do any kind of lifting. Remember that you are taking a break. And after a week or so your first workout will be great you will be very sore and if your nything like me that right there is good motivation.

Were you doing 1hr lifting and 45 minute cardio everyday?

chmbs1
06-17-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm taking this entire week off because of a sore elbow and I feel like I needed the break. I'm going back Monday and hitting it hard again. Everytime I go back after a lay-off my strength is up, so I'm looking forward to it.

I guess I don't have a problem going back as I am usually bored out of my mind when I'm not at the gym. I was actually down coming home from work today that I wasn't going to be grabbing my gym bag and heading out.

davebar
06-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Were you doing 1hr lifting and 45 minute cardio everyday?

I would go 3-days in a row with weights in the morning, cardio after work. Take one day off completely, then start 3 days in a row again. Sat I would take off regardless. Sun-legs, Mon-chest, Tue-Back/bi, wed-off, Thur shoulders, fri-tris.
Sat-Off.

I was planning on moving bi/tris to Fri, cause doing 5 back excerises then 3 bi was taking too long.

I only started adding in the afterwork cardio to try and trim down the waist, burn some extra fat away for the summer. Its been a month now that I really been adding the cardio.

matt297
06-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm taking this entire week off because of a sore elbow and I feel like I needed the break. I'm going back Monday and hitting it hard again. Everytime I go back after a lay-off my strength is up, so I'm looking forward to it.

I guess I don't have a problem going back as I am usually bored out of my mind when I'm not at the gym. I was actually down coming home from work today that I wasn't going to be grabbing my gym bag and heading out.

I had that attitude too before my new job. i havent been to the gym in 2 weeks cuz of holiday and illness and now im workin 9-5 i'm finding it really hard to get going when i get home from work. think i need someone to drag me there right now!

esmith2039
06-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Slowly.. I haven't did anything for 2 months. 4 infections one right after the other and at this point I won't be surprised if I get another after the antibiotics wear off. I've started back with cardio first and this weekend going to try the weights again. Probably 2 smaller sets compared to the 3 or 4 before.

matt297
06-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Slowly.. I haven't did anything for 2 months. 4 infections one right after the other and at this point I won't be surprised if I get another after the antibiotics wear off. I've started back with cardio first and this weekend going to try the weights again. Probably 2 smaller sets compared to the 3 or 4 before.

good luck man