PDA

View Full Version : help me out with baseball rules (yes euro-brah)

Average Chaos
06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Hi baseball brahs!

Pls help me out on this.

One man on base.
No outs.

Batter hits, pitcher catches ball in the air.
runner from 1st advances to second.
Batter out. runner on second save???

OrdoAbchao
06-17-2009, 11:56 AM
if the ball is caught in the air after a hit the runner cannot advance a base without "tagging up".

in your instance the batter would be out and the runner would not be able to make it to 2nd base because he would have to wait until the ball was caught and then run from 1st to 2nd without the pitcher first throwing it to 2nd base and getting him out.

a better example of tagging up would be is if there is no outs and a man on 2nd base. The batter hits a deep fly ball to right field near the wall. The man on 2nd base can wait until the right fielder catches the ball and then he can run from 2nd base to 3rd while the right fielder tries to throw him out. Your foot must be on the base until the ball is caught though.

ESPforMe
No. He's out if he doesn't get back to first before they throw the ball there.

Carpathia
he can "tag up" after the pitcher catches the ball. he has to be standing on first base, then after the pitcher catches it he could advance to second. he would get thrown out though.
if he left first base while the ball was in the air and went to second then the pitcher could throw the ball to first and the batter would be out.

in other words you can only advance a base after the catch has been made and you are still on your original base when the catch is made

Grind4Mine
06-17-2009, 11:58 AM
he can "tag up" after the pitcher catches the ball. he has to be standing on first base, then after the pitcher catches it he could advance to second. he would get thrown out though.
if he left first base while the ball was in the air and went to second then the pitcher could throw the ball to first and the batter would be out.

in other words you can only advance a base after the catch has been made and you are still on your original base when the catch is made

your right that he has to tag up, but you dont need to be standing on the base when the ball is cought to andvance....For instance I can be halfway down the line, center fielder makes a great catch over his head and falls down, I run back to first, tag the base and then advance to second

marblehead
06-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Sacrifice fly.
The runner advances when his foot is on the base after the ball is caught.

Average Chaos
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
thanks for all the replies !

i just played mlb the show 08 and the runner on 2nd
was safe. without tagging up.

computers failed once again lol

thanx again

airman26
06-21-2009, 08:33 AM
thanks for all the replies !

i just played mlb the show 08 and the runner on 2nd
was safe. without tagging up.

computers failed once again lol

thanx again

its the in field fly rule. the runner is safe on second because otherwise the pitcher would drop the ball on purpose and get a double play. an infield fly ball is a dead ball. runners advance safely, batter is out.