PDA

View Full Version : Morning workout without prior nutrition

hooah123
06-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Just wondering how more experienced athletes feel about waking up and going straight to the gym without eating. I've been doing this for about a year now, and i do notice a difference in strength, but not really in energy, if i skip my 4 am workout for a workout later in the day. I do eat as soon as I get home after my workout, cup of oatmeal, banana, 3x egg whites, 2 ounces of cheese, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. So my breakfast is pretty heavy, does this compensate? I usually eat a potato with my dinner too, the carbs seem to remain in my system throughout the night and into the morning i guess. Keep in mind im not a really large individual (5'10 150-155 10%bf) and am conditioning to be as universally athletic as possible for military purposes, and hopefully mma soon.

PrinceAric
06-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Depending on how crazy your metabolism is, anything you ate for dinner is long gone by the time you wake up since digestion doesn't stop when you sleep. Just myself personally, I have to slam a casein type shake at night or I wake up STARVING!! (very bad) The reason for working out on an early morning empty stomach is it's effect on burning fat. Basically, without anything in your blood for your body to use up right away, your body has to immediately start tapping into other resources (fat). I would just try to get something light in your stomach before a morning workout, and you should notice a difference. I'm sure people will add to this.

DKNY
06-16-2009, 01:37 PM
No matter if you're trying to gain or lose weight. Never skip breakfast or train with an empty stomach, you need to have something in your stomach to increase blood glucose level.

Lifterforlife10
06-16-2009, 09:01 PM
I am in the same boat, I love working out in the morning on an empty stomach as I find I have the most energy, likely from the casein and almond pre-bed, and If i ever consume something I feel nauseated. I have noticed a change in strength and appearance, but this is just me. I find it works

Tom Bro
06-16-2009, 09:23 PM
The only reason you feel like you have energy in the morning despite not eating is because your body has adjusted to it.
Working out on an empty stomach isn't smart.
Your body won't instantly tap into it's fat sources. Your body knows that it's fat stores are a good commodity to have and would rather get energy from the nutrient rich muscles.
Unless you're only sleeping for about 4 hours, the energy from your dinner the night before is long gone.

At least down a protein shake or something ... first thing in the morning that is. That way you'll have something to feed your muscles, which will enhance your body's inclination to use fat as a source of energy.