PDA

View Full Version : Top 99 players in the NFL

KingCanuck
06-15-2009, 02:46 PM
According to Peter Schrager from Fox Sports

Ranking the NFL's Top 99 players for 2009 is no easy task.

To tackle the mission, I opted not to go all Bill James/Baseball Prospectus style in my methodology. Yes, to the dismay of some, there are no mathematic formulas or sabermetrics involved in what's below. And my apologies to the fine men at Football Outsiders, but I left the abacus at home for this one.

For the fantasy football crowd, you might not be too thrilled either. Sometimes it's not all about statistics. And in ranking the NFL's Top 99, many times it wasn't.

In truth, in compiling the following list, I asked myself three questions. Consider these inquiries the science behind the madness:

1. Which player would I rather have on my team?
2. Which player would make the most impact on my team?
3. Which player will be the best in 2009, specifically?

Let those three questions guide you as you digest what's below.

And if you're a fan of Aaron Rodgers, Darrelle Revis, Nate Clements, Willis McGahee, LeRoy Hill, Walter Jones, Ronnie Brown, Jason Brown, Chad Pennington, Matt Hasselbeck, Lee Evans, Antoine Winfield, Torry Holt, Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday, Shaun Rogers, Kellen Winslow, Jr, Tommie Harris, Jake Delhomme, Kirk Morrison, Trent Cole, John Carlson, Antonio Pierce, Dwayne Bowe, Frank Gore, Jay Ratliff, Ronde Barber, Mike Brown, Greg Jennings, Nick Collins and Braylon Edwards — know that your guys were right on the cusp.

Top 20 looks like this:

1.Peyton Manning, QB, Indianapolis Colts
2.Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots
3. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers
4. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona Cardinals:
5.Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota Vikings
6. DeMarcus Ware, DE/LB, Dallas Cowboys
7.Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints
8.Jared Allen, DE, Minnesota Vikings:
9.Julius Peppers, DE, Carolina Panthers
10.Ed Reed, S, Baltimore Ravens
11.James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers
12.Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Oakland Raiders
13.Andre Johnson, WR, Houston Texans:
14.Albert Haynesworth, DT, Washington Redskins
15. Troy Polamalu, S, Pittsburgh Steelers
16.Philip Rivers, QB, San Diego Chargers:
17.Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants
18.Steve Smith, WR, Carolina Panthers
19. Shawne Merriman, LB, San Diego Chargers
20.Jon Beason, LB, Carolina Panthers

Rest of list: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9666292/Top-99-players-for-%2709:-No.-1-20

feardafronfz3
06-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Calvin Johnson at #83? This list can not be taken seriously

ElBonemeister
06-15-2009, 02:51 PM
lol @ Big Ben being #3 ( no hate )

Huse
06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
peyton over brady and brees, excuse me while i die from laughter

leafs43
06-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Brady over Brees, excuse me while I die from laughter.

Huse
06-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Brady over Brees, excuse me while I die from laughter.

....brees wont have a better season than brady, are the saints even going to make it to the playoffs?

J.E.F.
06-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Trent Cole not being on that list is ridiculous. I feel sorry for Eagles fans that know Cole is one of the top five DE's in the league, yet is not treated like one. If I were to make a top twenty, I'm pretty sure Cole would be either on it, or very close to cracking it.

ChefPhalBignuts
06-15-2009, 03:04 PM
....brees wont have a better season than brady, are the saints even going to make it to the playoffs?

Do you realize what Brees accomplished last year?

Huse
06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Do you realize what Brees accomplished last year?

Not as impressive as what Brady accomplished in his last full season

ChefPhalBignuts
06-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Not as impressive as what Brady accomplished in his last full season

Let's examine this:

Who did Brady have on his team?
Who did Brees have on his team?

jcollins28
06-15-2009, 03:26 PM
peyton over brady and brees, excuse me while i die from laughter

Let's not forget Romo! List is fail Romo is #1, everyone knows this....

BTW not srs...

robogain
06-15-2009, 03:27 PM
nnamdi should be about #7 ahead of peppers and allen

QB_Killa
06-15-2009, 03:55 PM
where the fck is Jon Kitna?

thacalikid911
06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
lmao at Jon Beason and Phillip Rivers being ahead of Patrick Willis.

nnamdi asomugha should be higher.

List is terrible

NoS_oUtLaSt
06-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Trent Cole not being on that list is ridiculous. I feel sorry for Eagles fans that know Cole is one of the top five DE's in the league, yet is not treated like one. If I were to make a top twenty, I'm pretty sure Cole would be either on it, or very close to cracking it.

Mario Williams
Jared Allen
John Abraham
Justin Tuck
Osi
Peppers
Freeny
Kyle Vaden Bosh

Just a few I think could be ahead of him depending on your POV

J.E.F.
06-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Mario Williams
Jared Allen
John Abraham
Justin Tuck
Osi
Peppers
Freeny
Kyle Vaden Bosh

Mario, Allen, Tuck, Peppers, and Vanden Bosh are the only I'd consider over him. Peppers needs to rebound well and Vanden Bosh needs to show he can produce over the course of an entire season without Haynesworth.

SwagMorris
06-15-2009, 06:21 PM
3 Panthers players in the top 20. List looks solid to me.

But seriously, Jon Beason over Patrick Willis? Come on.

D Will should be higher up though.

wsuwarrior
06-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Wow that list is terrible...tell me what makes Cutler the 31st best player in the NFL but Rodgers not even on the list?

Uh_Oh
06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I seriously dont get why wins play a huge factor when judging how great players are. I personally think wins are a team effort.

So what confuses is me is how is Big Ben a better QB than Drew Brees? Lets not look at records but just look at the players themselves. In the last couple of years I just dont see how you can argue Drew Brees is worse than Big Ben.

bmy-
06-15-2009, 07:41 PM
I seriously dont get why wins play a huge factor when judging how great players are. I personally think wins are a team effort.

So what confuses is me is how is Big Ben a better QB than Drew Brees? Lets not look at records but just look at the players themselves. In the last couple of years I just dont see how you can argue Drew Brees is worse than Big Ben.

Put Drew on the Steelers and you would see some sick results. Put Ben on the Saints and they wouldn't even be on the fringe of the playoffs every year.

That being said.. Saints should be a lock for playoffs this year.

ChefPhalBignuts
06-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Put Drew on the Steelers and you would see some sick results. Put Ben on the Saints and they wouldn't even be on the fringe of the playoffs every year.

That being said.. Saints should be a lock for playoffs this year.

Did they address their WR issues? I don't remember lol

captain_marvel
06-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Stop reading after Ben Roth at 3. I could easily agree with someone that was atleast in the ball park and within reason but thats way out of the park. Bens definately a decent Qb but he is nowhere even remotely near third best overall player in the league. Not even just QB's.

kethnaab
06-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Mario Williams
Jared Allen
John Abraham
Justin Tuck
Osi
Peppers
Freeny
Kyle Vaden Bosh

Abraham is a passing-downs only DE. He is weak against the run. Freeny is the same. Peppers is too inconsistent.

I'd put Tuck above Cole, and then i'd have Cole in the same category as Allen and Osi, assuming Osi comes back fully.

wow, how wrong can one person possibly be. Drew Brees doesn't even get his uniform dirty. Put Brees on the Steelers and he's on the IR within 3 weeks. I have nothing but respect for Drew Brees, but he has one of the best (and most underrated) OLs in the NFL.

MA5Bergey
06-16-2009, 05:27 AM
Everyone knows Tim Tebow should be #1.

KieNasty94
06-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Nnamdi Asomugha not being top 10 is a joke, he should probably be the first defensive player mentioned.

DADEO
06-16-2009, 07:11 AM
the list sucks. Jared Allen, please.

Max~Power
06-16-2009, 07:15 AM
You wanna know how I know this list sucks. If you slipped Calvin Johnson in at #19 right behind Steve Smith, would anyone have a problem? lol at putting him at 83rd behind:

Terrell Owens, WR, Buffalo Bills (51st)
Wes Welker, WR, New England Patriots (48th)
Anquan Boldin, WR, Arizona Cardinals (44th)
Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts (41st)
T.J. Houshmandzadeh, WR, Seattle Seahawks (68th)
Brandon Marshall, WR, Denver Broncos (69th)

Messiahtype
06-16-2009, 07:16 AM
It disgusts me that this guy gets paid to do that. I could come up with a better list than that after 22 Vodka and Red Bulls. What a ****ing joke.

Hishiad
06-16-2009, 07:25 AM
To be honest this list is pretty odd.

1-20 and not one offensive lineman? Yet they expect these QBs and RBs to have no issues without a legit line?

I'd have some LT/RT at least up there you need a line to pass protect and run block otherwise AP/Brees/Brady/Manning/Rivers

all would be in trouble.

His highest ranked O-Line guy is 24th...that means he builds his 22 man roster without an O-line?...wtf...

thegenerel
06-16-2009, 07:35 AM
No offense to Roethlisberger, but I'd rather have Drew Brees (who is below him) than Big Ben.

i can understand why, but even though Ben isnt the best in one skill set (except avoiding pass rush), he is in the top handful in regards to most QB abilities. although, he is a big time winner, yea the steelers have had a great supporting cast but he has shown the ability to lead comeback drives time and time again.