PDA

View Full Version : How much protein?

1kris10
06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I weight train about 3x a week and do cardio 3-4x. I am 5'2" and about 114 lbs. I have been working out consistently with a trainer for over a year, yet I haven't seen a huge change. My bf % is pretty high, and I'd like to drop about 6%.
How much protein should I consume daily?

sacha2
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
If there hasn't been much of a change in a full year and your bodyfat is quite high (what is "high" to you? It's different for people), then it might be time to really examine your diet. What are you eating? How many calories, etc?

evelynmp
06-15-2009, 01:17 PM
6% is very low for a female...

Surf_N_Turf
06-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Yeah, 6% is pretty much competition ready. Not likely that you will be able to maintain that healthily for any length of time.

twinnett
06-15-2009, 01:44 PM
I think she meant dropping 6% from where she is..

eglionz
06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I weight train about 3x a week and do cardio 3-4x. I am 5'2" and about 114 lbs. I have been working out consistently with a trainer for over a year, yet I haven't seen a huge change. My bf % is pretty high, and I'd like to drop about 6%.
How much protein should I consume daily?

I'd shoot for at least 1g per lb, personally I like at least 1.5g.

At 112 lbs I eat about 170g of protein a day.

As others said though, look at your diet overall. With the right diet you should have been seeing results in like a month, a whole year without seeing results is pretty crazy. Has your strength increased at least?

1kris10
06-17-2009, 07:10 PM
I'd shoot for at least 1g per lb, personally I like at least 1.5g.

At 112 lbs I eat about 170g of protein a day.

As others said though, look at your diet overall. With the right diet you should have been seeing results in like a month, a whole year without seeing results is pretty crazy. Has your strength increased at least?

Just to clarify, I'd like to lose 6% (I am currently at about 24%). To be honest, I tend to go back and forth between high protein & low carb and counting calories. The more I read, the more confused I become. That is why is was considering that maybe I should focus on eating more protein throughout the day. I am at about 90-100 grams per day.

As to the point about gaining strength, I definitely feel stronger and I have gained muscle. I am frustrated though, because I haven't cut any body fat.