PDA

View Full Version : How important are post-workout meals?

Sociogirl
06-15-2009, 08:13 AM
I have to workout late at night right now and I have been eating a snack high in protein after every time. I'll eat a protein bar, a bowl of cottage cheese, or even some tuna or salmon mixed with salsa for this. But it means I have to stay up even later. I could go right to bed after the workout and fall asleep easily, but when I eat, it makes it harder to sleep and of course the time it takes to make it and eat it adds up too. If I get enough protein during the day, is it still very important to eat after I workout? What about if I had a protein bar and ate a few bites on it between sets while I worked out so that basically I am finished working out and eating at the same time? I probably wouldn't want to do that with cottage cheese or tuna, but I don't think the protein bar would make me feel sick.

swindled
06-15-2009, 08:35 AM
I have to workout late at night right now and I have been eating a snack high in protein after every time. I'll eat a protein bar, a bowl of cottage cheese, or even some tuna or salmon mixed with salsa for this. But it means I have to stay up even later. I could go right to bed after the workout and fall asleep easily, but when I eat, it makes it harder to sleep and of course the time it takes to make it and eat it adds up too. If I get enough protein during the day, is it still very important to eat after I workout? What about if I had a protein bar and ate a few bites on it between sets while I worked out so that basically I am finished working out and eating at the same time? I probably wouldn't want to do that with cottage cheese or tuna, but I don't think the protein bar would make me feel sick.

How do you get home after the gym?? My house is a 15min walk from my gym, so I always bring a snack to eat while I am walking home. I personally cant eat between sets, it upsets my stomach and I get mad indigestion, but I know lots of people who eat their snacks while working out. I have no idea how that effects the glycogen stores though.

Sociogirl
06-15-2009, 08:45 AM
I workout at home right now. I may be able to join a gym sometime in the fall and then I'd workout in the morning but for now I'm stuck doing it after everyone else goes to bed.

IrkyMoto
06-15-2009, 08:48 AM

I am with Swindled! I always bring a protein shake and a fruit of some sort with me for my post-workout meal. It takes me 15 min to drive home from the gym and I'm usually done with my meal before I even leave the parking lot. Grab a shaker bottle and make a protein shake ahead of time. Then drink it right when you get out.

Irene

IrkyMoto
06-15-2009, 08:49 AM
I workout at home right now. I may be able to join a gym sometime in the fall and then I'd workout in the morning but for now I'm stuck doing it after everyone else goes to bed.

Oh...that's a different story! Didn't see you post that until after my post.

kudostojen
06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Try this.

Standard protein shake with carnation's instant breakfast powder.

Or

Buy protein powder made for post workouts and mix with water.

Both of these take 1 min to make and seconds to down.

I've missed a post workout shake before and i felt horrible a couple of hours later. I started to shake, feel dizzy and i had a nasty head ache. I never missed a post workout shake again.