PDA

View Full Version : For the Ectomorphs - Motivation to Eat More

darkmx
06-14-2009, 04:42 PM
This is for those on a bulk or who otherwise want to gain healthy weight. You have the workout and training part under control. You are getting adequate rest. But what motivates you to eat just a little more even though you feel full?

kiddo18
06-15-2009, 12:47 AM
i was hoping to come here and find out. sigh. lol

Ironlife
06-15-2009, 02:07 AM

5'10 110lbs is that for real man?what are you trying to get up to?

kiddo18
06-15-2009, 02:19 AM
yup. not kidding. get up to maybe 60kg for a start ? sorry i dont know pounds .. i do metric

Ironlife
06-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Through highschool i was alway 130 lbs and my height now, so fairly skinny and not very good at sports. So i decided to lift and researched all about body types nutritional information etc..

Each night before bed i would always eat my last meal which was always the hardest id never let myself get to bed until my 3,500 calories were in my system, then and only then would i allow myself to get some sleep, this is not the best for my health but i was going to go to very far lengths to keep my body growing.. and surprisingly it started working! People at school started noticing that iwas getting wider and my shoulders were getting thicker so every 2 weeks i would weigh myself and sure enough see an extra 2lbs added, this contined to rise as did my motivation to keep lifting heavier and getting stronger, I was so hungry for size that i would train when i wanted to relax i would eat when i wanted to sleep, i would lift real heavy in my ****ty gym and have rain pouring down on my head through the small cracks that would be emerging through the tin roof overhead, temperatures close to 0 degress and deep cuts from the rubbing of iron were seen only as obstacles in my way of getting a larger physique.
My mates would be out getting drunk i would be at home lifting weights and eating oats..

All these little things from 4.5 years ago have helped, i am now mid 180s , very strong , play football in division III and feeling solid, im not content nor will i be. This journey of mine is really only started and i believe if i continue to lift heavy and have good motivation and dedication i will continue to get bigger and will get over 200 lbs.

darkmx
06-15-2009, 10:47 AM

No worries, man. We'll figure it out. I'll update the first post with links to sources of motivation and useful info.

By the way, 60 kg is about 132 pounds.

Through highschool i was alway 130 lbs and my height now, so fairly skinny and not very good at sports. So i decided to lift and researched all about body types nutritional information etc..

Each night before bed i would always eat my last meal which was always the hardest id never let myself get to bed until my 3,500 calories were in my system, then and only then would i allow myself to get some sleep, this is not the best for my health but i was going to go to very far lengths to keep my body growing.. and surprisingly it started working! People at school started noticing that iwas getting wider and my shoulders were getting thicker so every 2 weeks i would weigh myself and sure enough see an extra 2lbs added, this contined to rise as did my motivation to keep lifting heavier and getting stronger, I was so hungry for size that i would train when i wanted to relax i would eat when i wanted to sleep, i would lift real heavy in my ****ty gym and have rain pouring down on my head through the small cracks that would be emerging through the tin roof overhead, temperatures close to 0 degress and deep cuts from the rubbing of iron were seen only as obstacles in my way of getting a larger physique.
My mates would be out getting drunk i would be at home lifting weights and eating oats..

All these little things from 4.5 years ago have helped, i am now mid 180s , very strong , play football in division III and feeling solid, im not content nor will i be. This journey of mine is really only started and i believe if i continue to lift heavy and have good motivation and dedication i will continue to get bigger and will get over 200 lbs.

Thanks, Ironlife. Your post reminds me of a quote: "I do what I should when I should whether I feel like it or not." This is a great post to get us started in the right direction.
1) Don't go to sleep without meeting caloric goals.
2) Weigh yourself every two weeks.
3) Train and eat even when you don't feel like doing so.
4) Stay focused on what you wish to accomplish.

I've been weighing myself too much it seems. I'm going to try cutting back on watching the scale so much and concentrate on getting the specific amount of calories that I need to grow.

DEUCE518
06-15-2009, 05:20 PM
good thread but i think you should weigh yourself every week, that way if you don't see yourself gaining that pound or half a pound a week, then you should up your caloric intake.

I stay motivated to eat by just thinking how those 2 more tuna sandwiches and glass of milk will affect my body positively. Sure it may feel like I'm going to puke after the first sandwich (usually 5th of the day), but i just keep chewing through that last sandwich!

weighed 170 about 3 months ago and now I'm sitting around 181!! feels good man

Clifford-James
06-15-2009, 10:37 PM

Yeah same here lol.

kiddo18
06-16-2009, 01:52 AM
ah some good info posted up. anyway i was skinnier before. hard to believe but yea. I see slight improvements but what im looking at is 132 pounds for a start, and work from there.

oh and when i dont feel like eating but i know i have to i just scoop spoonfuls of peanut butter and just eat it like that. its hella good lol

strac
06-16-2009, 05:50 AM

yup same here. i wanna get up to 200 but i feel a long way from that. i feel that making a plan of when your going to eat and what your going to eat helps.

kiddo18
06-16-2009, 06:45 AM
dont worry man, youll make it . we gotta take it a day at a time .. be it 3000 cals a day or 6000 cals a day. but progression helps alot from what i read. its like having 3000 cals per day for the first mth. then more the second mth. condition our bodies to eat more and more .

strac
06-16-2009, 06:50 AM
yeh man, my last exams on friday so after that its 3 months of eating, sleeping and lifting!

keels141
06-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Hey good luck with growing fellas. Some good ways to fit in cals are to have liquid cals (weight gainers etc.), avoid too much fibre as this tends to make you feel full and eat PB by the jar lol. It's all about the calories if you're a hardgainer and want to grow.
I would also suggest keeping workouts pretty brief to avoid expending too many calories and focus on the compound exercises. A 30 minute quality workout is plenty, stimulate the muscles and get home and eat! Good luck with it

Ironlife
06-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Hey good luck with growing fellas. Some good ways to fit in cals are to have liquid cals (weight gainers etc.), avoid too much fibre as this tends to make you feel full and eat PB by the jar lol. It's all about the calories if you're a hardgainer and want to grow.
I would also suggest keeping workouts pretty brief to avoid expending too many calories and focus on the compound exercises. A 30 minute quality workout is plenty, stimulate the muscles and get home and eat! Good luck with it

very very true, i have this shake after workouts its a lot but hey:

1 cup oats
2 tablespoons milk powder
2 scoops horleys mass gainer
2 scoops icecream
1 large banana
1 tablespoom olive oil
2 cups milk

blend that up and you have yourself an easy 1700 cals

Robination
06-16-2009, 03:43 PM

X10

@kiddo18
I'm about the same as you, except 5'8 or so :(

kiddo18
06-17-2009, 02:34 AM
cool... blending stuff together and drinking it is always fun.

Curation: seems like alot of us are trying to get bigger so dont worry about it .. lets all just get our calories on and do our best... keep workouts to 30 mins and cals coming in the whole day lol. sooner or later compliments on how big we're getting will come in :D

btw anyone who has msn can add me... motivation is always cool

StrongestSperm
06-17-2009, 02:45 AM
being a hard gainer sucks... :(

thanks to Ironlife for the motivation, brb eating

darkmx
06-17-2009, 11:30 AM
good thread but i think you should weigh yourself every week, that way if you don't see yourself gaining that pound or half a pound a week, then you should up your caloric intake.

I stay motivated to eat by just thinking how those 2 more tuna sandwiches and glass of milk will affect my body positively. Sure it may feel like I'm going to puke after the first sandwich (usually 5th of the day), but i just keep chewing through that last sandwich!

Nice job, man. Where's that frog pic?
I would pay money to have that frog pic made into a button for a shirt. lol

You're right, though. Seeing the weight change on the scale is a good motivator to eat more.

ah some good info posted up. anyway i was skinnier before. hard to believe but yea. I see slight improvements but what im looking at is 132 pounds for a start, and work from there.

oh and when i dont feel like eating but i know i have to i just scoop spoonfuls of peanut butter and just eat it like that. its hella good lol

One of my favorite snacks is peanut butter followed by a glass of milk. Speaking of which, I'm going to have some now.

dont worry man, youll make it . we gotta take it a day at a time .. be it 3000 cals a day or 6000 cals a day. but progression helps alot from what i read. its like having 3000 cals per day for the first mth. then more the second mth. condition our bodies to eat more and more .

OK. I'm back. Adding to what you said about a day at a time - I've found that what's worked for me so far is setting an impossibly small and easy goal (that most would probably laugh at) but sticking to that goal for first one day, then 7 days in a row, then 14 days, then one month, etcetera.

yeh man, my last exams on friday so after that its 3 months of eating, sleeping and lifting!

Good luck with your exams! Enjoy your summer.

Thanks, keels141! Very useful info, especially the part about keeping the workouts brief and intense.

very very true, i have this shake after workouts its a lot but hey:

1 cup oats
2 tablespoons milk powder
2 scoops horleys mass gainer
2 scoops icecream
1 large banana
1 tablespoom olive oil
2 cups milk

blend that up and you have yourself an easy 1700 cals

Once again, thanks Ironlife. Where do you get the oats from? I'm pretty sure I don't want to grind up a box of Honey Nut Cheerios for the shake.

being a hard gainer sucks... :(

thanks to Ironlife for the motivation, brb eating

I used to believe that I was a hardgainer. I'm not huge by any stretch of the imagination, but I wonder, once I gain the muscle mass that I want, will I just be an ectomorph in a big body? Will I still have all of the traits of an ectomorph simply applied to more muscle? Ah, don't mind me. That's just a random musing.

darkmx
06-17-2009, 11:38 AM
I thought I was going to update the first post with an edit, but it looks like I cannot (still a bit new to posting to the forums).

Anyway, I'm sure most of you have seen this thread by now, but I'd like to post a link to it in case some havent:

**Transformations from skinny to mass pics (post them everybody)**
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=728136

Motivates me every time I look through it. There are many tips there as well, including these from jfindon which ties in to what you guys have been saying about liquid calories:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=340686051&postcount=2856

GeekMuscle
06-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Try to eat foods that meet your nutritional needs, but also taste good. Like, rather than just eating chicken, season the crap out of that chicken, or marinate it. Also, try to plan out what you're going to eat a week in advance, and stick to the plan that you set for yourself.

kiddo18
06-18-2009, 01:20 AM
www dot vincedelmontefitness dot com/console dot html

check that out too. found it from somewhere else in the forum. helps exercise all parts. good luck to all ecto buddies out there :D

oh it aint anything bad btw.. i just cant post links since i havent hit 30 posts

darkmx
06-19-2009, 09:21 AM
yup same here. i wanna get up to 200 but i feel a long way from that. i feel that making a plan of when your going to eat and what your going to eat helps.

Try to eat foods that meet your nutritional needs, but also taste good. Like, rather than just eating chicken, season the crap out of that chicken, or marinate it. Also, try to plan out what you're going to eat a week in advance, and stick to the plan that you set for yourself.

Planning meals is an excellent suggestion in my opinion, especially when starting out. In order to do so, we'd have to know how many calories we would need. Here are a couple of posts that address that:

Robby99999?s *Total Metabolism Forecaster Thread*
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114980801

davidsnk3 on calculating calories
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=339518971&postcount=74

Oh, if any of you guys have any tips on cooking, feel free to add them in. One of the reasons I don't like eating much is the fact that I don't know how to cook very well at all.

www dot vincedelmontefitness dot com/console dot html

check that out too. found it from somewhere else in the forum. helps exercise all parts. good luck to all ecto buddies out there :D

oh it aint anything bad btw.. i just cant post links since i havent hit 30 posts

Good find, kiddo. It sort of reminds me of www.exrx.net with drawings instead of video.

crackyflipside
06-19-2009, 09:40 AM
There's no such thing as a hardgainer; just hardheaded :P

What I mean is when we say to just eat more, we are not playing around. If you think you are eating more and are not gaining weight, you are not eating more. To put this into perspective, every meal you finish, you should feel physically ill and sweaty, then once that feeling subsides you should eat some more. It is your body adapting to your new calorie intake, the sick feelings will go away in a week as you get used to eating like a fatty.

It's not about eating when you are hungry, it's about keeping your stomach filled to the brim with food.

ZidaneValor
06-19-2009, 10:48 AM
5'10", 110#? Damn, who are you, L?

Anyway, if you are not eating because you feel full, I would either focus on high calorie clean foods like peanut butter, sirloin, 80% ground beef, mixed nuts, et cetera, or like someone suggested, get some weight gainers or protein like NitroCore 24 which is 200 calories per scoop (24g protein, 14g carbs, 5g fat) and have 2-3 scoops a couple times a day.

kiddo18
06-19-2009, 10:51 PM
5'10", 110#? Damn, who are you, L?

Anyway, if you are not eating because you feel full, I would either focus on high calorie clean foods like peanut butter, sirloin, 80% ground beef, mixed nuts, et cetera, or like someone suggested, get some weight gainers or protein like NitroCore 24 which is 200 calories per scoop (24g protein, 14g carbs, 5g fat) and have 2-3 scoops a couple times a day.

LOL ... you did not just call me L XD ... *goes off to get chocolate*

ElWilson
02-10-2012, 12:52 PM

Mate you must be loving life right now looking at this, sweet motivation, how's your life improved sticking with it and hitting your goal?

nate24740
01-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Seems like every where I turn to get motivation for eating more I get nutritional advice. It's not that I don't know what to eat it's the how the hell am I going to eat all that. So this is what I've learned from my experience of being a “hardgainer”. Watching transformation videos on youtube while I eat help me visualize my goals. Eating 3500 calories the first day of bulking gives me the ****s. So I have to add calories 500 a week till I am up to my goal. As you are ramping up you calories finish every meal with at least one glass of water to stretch your stomach and get it ready for the weeks ahead. Finally have all you meals planed out because how else can you know you’re eating enough.

RhinoBody
01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
I struggle to lose weight, so it stands to reason that you should add the things that I have to cut out. Juice, gravy, butter and sauce. Seriously, put sauce and gravy on everything. I once ate 1000 cals in sauce/gravy alone. lol

FoodAdvice
04-03-2017, 07:29 PM

I see ignorant people here telling those whom want to gain weight to "eat everything they see." Your diet is terrible. Eat only tuna sandwiches and milk? That's hardly a balanced diet and too much mercury. Got to stop listening to trolls in these forums. They'll tell you to eat 6 Big Macs in order to get weight and that it doesn't matter if it is healthy or not.