PDA

View Full Version : Crap day. Is this normal?

HughMcFury
06-11-2009, 07:00 AM
I've been doing weights (starting strength) since the start of March and today is surely my worst workout ever. I increased my squat since last time so I thought I had gotten off to a good start only to discover I could only manage three reps on shoulder press with the weight upped from last time. So, I reduced it back down to what I did on Monday, got my sets done and thought 'ok, no big deal'.

Here's where it goes awry. I went onto power cleans (5x3) but after the first two sets my body just buckled. I got the weight down safely but I was just totally exhausted. Knackered, but yet I hadn't done much. I don't know why. I've had two full days of rest, ate plenty protein, good decent food, no drink, etc. Does this happen a lot? I was beginning to get the shakes and thought '****, you better call it a day, man'.

So, I gave up the workout halfway through. Feels crap. All the time I was thinking 'It's in your head, you can finish" but my body just said NO. I'm wondering if I've reached the end of the newbie gains people talk about. Could this be it? I've been cutting most of that time because I started with a lot of fat (still have plenty to shift too). Is it possible to 'waste' your newbie gains? It would be pretty depressing to think I've been cutting all through my best period to gain muscle. I've heard that after the newbie gains it gets pretty tough to put on muscle. It's quite depressing for me because I don't think I'm genetically gifted and I'll spent all that time trying to lose fat. Can I still pack muscle on? The thing is that I think I'm still too fat to bulk. It seems like I'm going nowhere. I'm tired of cutting but too fat to bulk. Could I do a recomp? What's a good example of this? I think I've made some improvements since the start of the year (I was quite big around the belly) but I feel now it's coming to an end.

Any tips? How do you keep going knowing that it's getting harder? Can I still get bigger? I don't feel like I've come very far.

Whomper107
06-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Everyone has days like this bro, and I mean EVERYONE. Don't overanalyze it too much. It was just a bad day, nothing else. Take a day off, reclaim your focus, and come back to hit it hard the next time around.

Universal64
06-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Don't think about it too much man. Believe me, as said above, everyone has their bad days. LIke he said, just get your thoughts back up, and let it go and bust your ass twice as hard the next workout!

HughMcFury
06-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I know I should just brush it off. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't still have a spare tyre round my gut. I should have maybe maximised my first few weeks by eating plenty instead of cutting. Or maybe I'm not stalling and it's just some other weirdness. Who knows.

DOC
06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Everyone has days like this bro, and I mean EVERYONE. Don't overanalyze it too much. It was just a bad day, nothing else. Take a day off, reclaim your focus, and come back to hit it hard the next time around.

ya dude there are days were you walk in and for whatever reason ur tired have no motivation, on those days i just take a day off no questions asked. theres no point in going in there and hating every min of a workout and half assing it the whole time ur not even doing any real good, take a good day off to refocus like whomper said and storm in there tommorrow rdy to rock.

johnderriLLL
06-11-2009, 01:10 PM
listen to your body. sometimes u just need a break.

06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I've been doing weights (starting strength) since the start of March and today is surely my worst workout ever. I increased my squat since last time so I thought I had gotten off to a good start only to discover I could only manage three reps on shoulder press with the weight upped from last time. So, I reduced it back down to what I did on Monday, got my sets done and thought 'ok, no big deal'.

Here's where it goes awry. I went onto power cleans (5x3) but after the first two sets my body just buckled. I got the weight down safely but I was just totally exhausted. Knackered, but yet I hadn't done much. I don't know why. I've had two full days of rest, ate plenty protein, good decent food, no drink, etc. Does this happen a lot? I was beginning to get the shakes and thought '****, you better call it a day, man'.

So, I gave up the workout halfway through. Feels crap. All the time I was thinking 'It's in your head, you can finish" but my body just said NO. I'm wondering if I've reached the end of the newbie gains people talk about. Could this be it? I've been cutting most of that time because I started with a lot of fat (still have plenty to shift too). Is it possible to 'waste' your newbie gains? It would be pretty depressing to think I've been cutting all through my best period to gain muscle. I've heard that after the newbie gains it gets pretty tough to put on muscle. It's quite depressing for me because I don't think I'm genetically gifted and I'll spent all that time trying to lose fat. Can I still pack muscle on? The thing is that I think I'm still too fat to bulk. It seems like I'm going nowhere. I'm tired of cutting but too fat to bulk. Could I do a recomp? What's a good example of this? I think I've made some improvements since the start of the year (I was quite big around the belly) but I feel now it's coming to an end.

Any tips? How do you keep going knowing that it's getting harder? Can I still get bigger? I don't feel like I've come very far.

Everyone have good and bad days. Your no different from everyone else, but do not let this stop you it happens and move on.

chmbs1
06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I have crap days. Just try to fight through it, but don't get down on yourself if it isn't there. As soon as you're done, start focusing on what you need to do to get ready for the next workout.

Ragnor187
06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
sometimes I run into this myself, maybe just do cardio that day instead?

drewkawa
06-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I agree... Off days are typical. In teaching when you "lose the class" and they start not paying attention and whatnot you have to switch gears and do something different.

Working out is similar. Just switch gears and do something different. Free weights, machines only, chains, only use a 45lbs plate and get creative! Heck youre there, have fun!

Drew

will76
06-12-2009, 10:51 AM
All that has been said already is definitely what I agree with... You'll have those days when you can just take on your workout and then days where you ask yourself, "What the hell is going on?" or "Why am I here?" Definitely don't take one bad day as the end of the world because it's not you'll get back to it. Also, listening to your body is important. I have definitely overtrained many a times and it has hampered my gains so I have just been taking it easy. That is, if my body is not up to it then I just wait 'til I'm ready to go (usually when any soreness finally leaves). Keep it up!

medjen
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
You say you've been lifting since March. That's about 3 months or so. Have you taken any time off yet? I don't mean a day or two. I mean about a week where you "de-load." Get out of the gym, run around, play basketball or tennis or go hiking or whatever floats your boat. Maybe do a couple light workouts and just mentally reset.

Everyone has bad days. If you start having more bad days than good, a week off might be in order.

Hang in there.

HughMcFury
06-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I took a week off at the end of May/beginning of June. Today, I tried again and it was even worse. I couldn't even keep at the same weight on my squat and going down a little weight I only managed TWO reps! I knew failure was on the next rep so I just quit. Not even one measly set. After that I just decided to cancel the entire workout (again). It seems to be time for a rethink.

It seems weird to me to be burning out so early on Rippetoe. I feel like an old man, I'm permanently sore and stiff and even just getting off the couch feels like I'm squatting a McGlashan stone. When I read these boards and see what weights I should be getting up to before stalling or changing workout programs or whatever, I realise I'm so far away from getting out of the novice stage.

I don't know what my one rep maxes are but I think it's quite low. As an example, so far, I can only manage 56kg on the squat (that's 3 sets of 5). I think that's me reaching a plateau right about now and my body is burned out. Currently, I'm eating at or above maintenance depending if it's a workout day or not. I got fed up cutting. I'm eating between 140g and 180g of protein daily. I don't do much in the way of cardio.

Is 3 times a week just too much for me? Maybe I should only do a full body workout twice a week? It's quite discouraging to get stuck at such an early stage. I'm totally lost at the moment.

madgravity34
06-18-2009, 12:01 PM
What does your diet look like? If you arent eating enough then how can you expect ur body to perform? Whats your pre-workout meal look like? These can definitely be affecting your performance and if you are cutting too hard then you are putting a lot of stress on your body.