PDA

View Full Version : first meeting with a personal trainer

ADDicted2Fit
06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I set up an appt with a personal trainer this week to see what he has to offer, and I want to make sure I get the most out of the meeting as possible, before I decide. This is 120 a month so it's not cheap, but there's no contract so I can stop at anytime. I have never weight lifted, or been part of a gym, but I don't want to go in there like a deer in headlights. I want to have some questions and get some feedback so I can see where he is at and he can see where I am at. What kinds of questions should I ask him, more nutrition related or more weight training, or both? I am looking to gain muscle, so I won't need to ask any cardio related questions. This gym is new, so I don't want to get gipped. Can I ask too see his credentials or that's like rude?

kimm4
06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Just tell him you want to train like a guy and pink dumbells are not an option ;) Seriously tell him exactly what your goals are. A lot of personal trainers don't know a thing about nutrition...so be careful with that...

Have fun!!

Mindi912
06-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I set up an appt with a personal trainer this week to see what he has to offer, and I want to make sure I get the most out of the meeting as possible, before I decide. This is 120 a month so it's not cheap, but there's no contract so I can stop at anytime. I have never weight lifted, or been part of a gym, but I don't want to go in there like a deer in headlights. I want to have some questions and get some feedback so I can see where he is at and he can see where I am at. What kinds of questions should I ask him, more nutrition related or more weight training, or both? I am looking to gain muscle, so I won't need to ask any cardio related questions. This gym is new, so I don't want to get gipped. Can I ask too see his credentials or that's like rude?

No it's not rude to ask him to see his credentials or just ask where he's studied and what's he's done.

Personal Trainers aren't nutritionists unless they have studied further so they can only offer you basic nutrition advice. You can get the same advice if not better on here.

I would just ask him what kind of plan he sees you doing. Tell him you want to build muscle and you aren't afraid of the free weight section.

Most of all I guess for me the most important thing is you gel with your trainer. If you don't get along then you really aren't going to get anywhere.

Remember you only see him once a week, he can only get you so far, the rest is up to you. It's what you do outside your personal training sessions that count.

Naturally he should write you a program to follow but you need to make sure you do follow it.

KyleAaron
06-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Figure out what you want out of training. I mean precisely, down to measurements, shape, everything.

Then ask the PTI how to achieve it. When you meet them again, expect them to pick on little details of how you're doing exercises, check how you're going in achieving your goals and adjusting the workout to suit, to praise when you're doing well, and generally keep your arse moving towards your goals. That's what they're there for!

ToraAdams
06-10-2009, 09:28 AM
my personal experience is that 1 x per week is a waste
give him 10 -15 sessions at least 3x per week

He'll set a weekly program if you want to use weight 4 to 5 x per week you have to get a proper routine that will make you understand what to do each day you get in the gym

I personally think using the same routine more than 2 to three months is just a waste but the basics need to be learned and properly executed for the best results this could take many many months so the initial cost of the trainer for 15 sessions as far as I'm concerned is very very worth it.

ADDicted2Fit
06-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for giving me good advice, I went in there, and had some questions written, but didn't really get to ask them, because he pretty much answered them all during our session. As soon as I told him I wanted to build muscle and gain weight, he said no cardio, but since I'm going into the air force, and leave in October, I'll have to run, so he said, I don't need to start running until August only 1 day a week. He told me he does full body workouts, and for me, we'll do more compound exercises, which I feel good about. Basically he told me I need to eat more carbs, we went over my meals and he saw I didn't have enough. I feel I am in good hands, he has been doing this for a while, has a profile on here which I looked at, and was into bodybuilding for a year, he showed me pictures. My next session was supposed to be today but I canceled because I felt I needed to work on eating more food before we start, he said it doesn't matter, but I was still hesitant to start today. I will start next week. I'll post how my sessions go in my body blog.