PDA

View Full Version : Uh Oh, need Major Help Here!

Atheena
06-09-2009, 06:29 PM
So a friend of mine asked me to see my workout and put it on paper. I did and wow I need some major help here! I go to the gym twice a day 7 days a week, sometimes on Saturday and Sunday I will only go once. I do my weights in the mornings and cardio in the evenings. My goal is to lose body fat and get lean toned muscle, kind of along the lines of Jamie Eason, Jillian Michaels and Jennifer Nicole Lee. My friend said he would help me get to the goals I have set but I need to listen to him and trust him which I do. By the way this is a different friend than the one I workout with on the workout listed below. Here is my workout. I have only been weight training for about 6 months and I workout with an older guy in the mornings at my gym. He offered to help me weight train:

Monday - Chest 5 sets 15 reps on everything

bent arm DB pullovers (17.5 DB) after 15 reps do 25 hypers
cable rows (60-75) with pec dec fly machine (50-60)
incline press (35-45) with assisted pull ups and dips

Tuesday - Shoulders 5 sets 15 reps on everything

2 sets of seated db press one with 20lb one with 17.5lb
Alternate DB curl 17.5lb
Machine Shoulder Press (35-45) with assisted pull ups and dips

Wednesday - Arms 5 sets 15 reps on everything

seated db press (20) DB one arm extension (17.5) Alternate DB curl (17.5)
Preacher curl (30) 25 hypers, 12 cable tricep extension (30)
assisted pull ups and dips, back fly machine? (40-50)

Thursday is chest again and Friday shoulders. I do abs everyday and cardio in the evening. Generally don't do too many weights in the evening. Saturday is legs I squat 5 sets of 30 reps with the barbell and 5 lbs on each side, calf raises with just the barbell, laying and seated hamstrings 30 lbs 25 reps. I do hypers everyday as well.

nunu713
06-10-2009, 05:41 AM
I am certainly no expert, but personal experience has shown me that I get better results when I go as heavy as I can for 5-8 reps. It sounds like you're doing so much more than you need to.

Also, why do you do DB curls on your shoulder day? Shouldn't that just be kept to your arm day? When do you work out your back?

Try to work in a full day of rest. Your body needs it.

Atheena
06-10-2009, 07:28 AM
I am new to weight training and this last six months is the first time I have trained so I just fell in with my workout partner and did what he did. I know my workout needs tweaking and that's why I'm posting my workout here so that I can get the tweaking. I am going to have a hard time eating more because I dont want to get fat or super huge just ripped!

Amanda76
06-10-2009, 09:29 AM
#1, I agree the rep ranges he has you using will need to be performed too light to achieve the body you want. I'd prefer to see something more along the lines of 3-4 x 6-10

Monday -

bent arm DB pullovers (17.5 DB) after 15 reps do 25 hypers
cable rows (60-75) with pec dec fly machine (50-60)
incline press (35-45) with assisted pull ups and dips

This day should be called "chest and back." You need to start with your more difficult, powerful lifts for safety as well as mass building. I'm not the biggest fan of supersetting heavy lifts (my entire back is quaking at the end of a set of pull ups...ain't no way I'm gonna turn around and get a good set of bench press out right after), but you can do it. My preference would also be to put the bodypart that takes the most effort first (back over chest, typically).

So...heavy lifts first (the order of the following supersets could be switched as you move towared bw pullups and dips):

Cable rows ss w/ Incline Bench
Assisted pullups ss w/ dips

Followed by exercises hard on the joints that are performed with lighter weight:

Flyes
Pullovers ss w/ hyperextensions

Tuesday - Shoulders 5 sets 15 reps on everything

2 sets of seated db press one with 20lb one with 17.5lb
Alternate DB curl 17.5lb
Machine Shoulder Press (35-45) with assisted pull ups and dips

I'm trying really hard to use some of this guy's suggestions but alternate DB curls are a bicep exercise? Why the 2 sets of seated DB press instead of his 5x15 (not that I liked it). And why no real variety for your shoulders when the day is supposed to be devoted to shoulders? Weird.

I'd suggest staying away from machines that lock you into place when it comes to using that joint.

Heavy lifts first:
Seated DB or BB press (no machine until you know your body and how your shoulders should feel).
Upright Row or some kind of high pull to chest
Lat Raises ss w/ front raises

Wednesday - Arms 5 sets 15 reps on everything

seated db press (20) DB one arm extension (17.5) Alternate DB curl (17.5)
Preacher curl (30) 25 hypers, 12 cable tricep extension (30)
assisted pull ups and dips, back fly machine? (40-50)

Pick the seated tricep press OR one arm extension. Dear God. Why are hypers here? What's with teh pullups and dips again. They do work arms in addition to back and chest but you did them 2 days ago. Reverse flyes are an upper back/rear delt exercise. Wait...by seated db press did he mean shoulder press? You worked shoulders YESTERDAY, supposedly. AND you're gonna work them again Friday? Strong WTF.

Thursday is chest again and Friday shoulders. I do abs everyday and cardio in the evening. Generally don't do too many weights in the evening. Saturday is legs I squat 5 sets of 30 reps with the barbell and 5 lbs on each side, calf raises with just the barbell, laying and seated hamstrings 30 lbs 25 reps. I do hypers everyday as well.

You're gonna work back and chest again Thursday? I hope it's not the same workout you did Monday. That would be the 3rd time you've done assisted pullups and dips...and the second day in a row. If you can accomplish that, they're not being made challenging enough for you. With legs, rather than do 150 reps with a weight that's apparently too light to challenge you enough to even waiver in your ability to move it, it'd be nice to see more variety in your presses (sumo/plie squats, play around with foot position on leg press, lunges, step ups...there is so much more you could be doing and using a weight that's great enough to do something for you). You don't need to be doing any one exercise EVERY day. Every variety of deadlift would be better for your hams and low back than constant performance of hyperextensions (sure, use them at the end of a workout...but they aren't the only way to challenge those areas).

I don't know about whoever made your plan up, Atheena...the new guy that said you need to trust him is NOT the guy who designed this, right? I don't think he could do much worse at designing a program for you, at any rate. :o

Atheena
06-10-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm home on lunch so don't have too much time to respond to this but I like where you're going Amanda76 and no they aren't the same guy. Any and all help that you guys can give me will be fantastic because right now I feel like a cardio bunny does as far as results goes. They run and run and run and want their bodies to change but they dont, and that's the phase I am stuck in with the weights.

nunu713
06-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I am going to have a hard time eating more because I dont want to get fat or super huge just ripped!

Ah, the #1 misconception rears its ugly head again. Allow me to dispel:

You will not get fat simply by eating 1900 calories a day (for example). You get fat by eating 1900 sh*t calories a day. But if you're eating 1900 calories of green veggies, grilled chicken, healthy fats, sweet potatos, brown rice, tuna, etc. what's going to make you fat? It's WHAT you eat that makes you fat - same as it's WHAT you eat that makes you lean.

And you will not get super huge. It is just as hard to gain muscle mass as it is to lose fat. So if you're not actively trying to do it, chances are, you won't.

Atheena
06-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah I'm definitely not eating to get big. I do want the lean muscle like the women I stated before.

Ah, the #1 misconception rears its ugly head again. Allow me to dispel:

You will not get fat simply by eating 1900 calories a day (for example). You get fat by eating 1900 sh*t calories a day. But if you're eating 1900 calories of green veggies, grilled chicken, healthy fats, sweet potatos, brown rice, tuna, etc. what's going to make you fat? It's WHAT you eat that makes you fat - same as it's WHAT you eat that makes you lean.

And you will not get super huge. It is just as hard to gain muscle mass as it is to lose fat. So if you're not actively trying to do it, chances are, you won't.