PDA

View Full Version : Law school application moral dilemma.

nitr0x2
06-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey guys, I know there is a thread just like this floating around but this is a personal help thread and I would like your advice. I didn't want to post this in the Misc cause I'm looking for serious replies.

I'll be applying to Law School this summer/fall and I am registering for the LSDAS now. The LSDAS collects your application materials and applies to the schools for you to make things easier. There is a section for Race/Ethnicity on the application, and herein lies my question to you:

I was born in The United States. Both my parents were born in Syria. I lived in the Middle East for two years of my life(8-10 years old) and the rest in the US. From some personal research, I've come to the conclusion that Arabs are technically part of the Caucasoid Race(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasoid) which would make me 'White/Caucasian'. I would like to get any kind of advantage I can so I was considering marking my race as 'Other' and if asked about it claim that I hold the belief that Arabs are not 'White/Caucasian' (which a part of me would like to believe :))

I don't expect much benefit by doing this, the only thing I can potentially see happening is an extra glance at my Personal Statement(Which describes the dichotomy of my life growing up in the US and Middle East), and hopefully get a little extra consideration.

So, what do you guys think. If you were me, would you put race as 'Other' in order to try to get some kind of advantage or edge even though I fully understand that according to the literal definition Arabs are considered Caucasian, but try to argue otherwise if confronted. Or should I just be honest and put 'White/Caucasian'?

red_hot_tamale
06-09-2009, 11:14 AM
What have you put on applications for things all the other times you've been requested to pick one? Don't they ask this same question for various standardized tests throughout school? I personally would just select Caucasian. I don't think that trying to finesse your way into getting a second glance by picking 'other' will be beneficial. If they are going to read your personal statement anyways, why bother making things complicated by trying to justify picking 'other'.

hooked4life
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
just on a gut level I'd say Syrian is not what people think of when they say Caucasian. if your PS talks about your Syrian heritage i think that removes any moral dilemma from the equation, it's not like you're trying to hide it or something.

i know my law school has a club or something for students on middel-eastern dissent, something like that.

nitr0x2
06-09-2009, 11:19 AM
What have you put on applications for things all the other times you've been requested to pick one? Don't they ask this same question for various standardized tests throughout school? I personally would just select Caucasian. I don't think that trying to finesse your way into getting a second glance by picking 'other' will be beneficial. If they are going to read your personal statement anyways, why bother making things complicated by trying to justify picking 'other'.

Growing up I mixed it up between Caucasian and Other. Variety is the spice of life lol :)

The reason I am considering it is incase my GPA and LSAT scores are on the edge, I would think that seeing Other as my race may get the Admissions Committee to potentially take a glance at my Personal Statement(writing is my strong point). I know the chance is small, but what if my borderline GPA and LSAT in addition to a Caucasian race caused my application to get passed up? :(

hooked4life
06-09-2009, 11:19 AM

applications to law schools are unlike anything else i've ever applied to.

2.0Tsunami
06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I've heard of people, specificly minorities, that leave it blank. They want to be accepted based on their creds. instead of race.

nitr0x2
06-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I've heard of people, specificly minorities, that leave it blank. They want to be accepted based on their creds. instead of race.

I have the option to not report my race to law schools. I'm just trying to get a leg up over the competition :o