PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhhhhhh I want to throw this out the window!

IronCitGrl
06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
I've already decided to get rid of my bathroom scale a long time ago, but now it is going to be my food scale!!!!!! I am sooooo MAD! I went to measure out my meat and yams and the thing was broken so my fiance "fixed" it for me but it broke again. It is not a digital scale it is a pretty cheap one with the arrow that goes around. So I still had a digital one that I had originally bought but the battery died only after a week so I thought "I dont want a digital one if the battery will always die" then I heard that the first battery always dies fast since it was just sitting in there so long.

So anyway I put a new battery in the digital scale and weight my meat -- I eat 5 ounces. The 5 oz on this scale was a bit smaller than the 5 oz on the other scale before it broke. So this scale has been wrong the entire time and I have been eating more than I thought! I am so mad because I spend all this time measuring and planning and I feel like it has all gone to **** now! I am supposed to be at maintenance right now and I'm not! I thought I was gaining a little too much for it to be muscle pump!

On the bright side I didn't turn into a complete fatty. I may have only gained about 1 or 2 lbs (of fat) in the last few months. I'm still in the same size pants although they do seem tighter but even with the additional fat which isn't much I think I still look better anyway and I think that is because most of those additional calories went to building muscle so I think I was on a slight bulk. The fat doesn't matter anyway because I'm cutting at the end of this month.

But that scale still makes me mad! Sorry for such a long rant!

Gracehbd
06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
My kitchen scales are ALWAYS breaking : (

equestrian
06-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Are you sure it was the first scale that was wrong and not the second?

Just so you don't have to go through this nightmare again, check and see if you're able to calibrate your scale. Weigh something that you absolutely KNOW it's weight. Coins are usually the easiest and available.

A nickle weighs 5.000g. But if you want to really test your scale, try other coins. You can find their weights here:

Welll - shoot, it won't let me post a link. The United States Mint has the weights of coins on their website. ;)

Of course, you wouldn't want to use something that's been stuck in the parking lot pavement for a decade. hehe! But using various coins will get you pretty close to accurate. Hope this helps!

a_ahmed
06-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Whats a good accurate scale to buy? The ones I've bought have all been poop after a while.

IronCitGrl
06-09-2009, 05:16 PM
I tested the digital one with the coins and it is accurate. It is a salter scale that I bought for about 30 or 40 bucks. There's fancier ones out there that even calculate calories of common foods and such but they are pretty pricey. The one I have is hard to clean but I have been using the plastic tray from the broken scale on it so I can just take if off and wash it. If you put the tray on it first and then turn it on it will start out at 0 oz or grams. I guess you could do the math and subtract the weight of the tray but I'm too lazy for that.
I also want to see how long a fresh battery lasts in it.

Looks like every time I went to measure my 5 ounces of chicken breast it has really been about 6 ounces. That's an extra 3 ounces a day which is only like 90 calories extra but lately I have been weighing yams on it (the broken scale) as well. :(

MJJRules
06-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I bought 2 Taylor digital food scales at Wal-Mart over a year ago for $20. I use one of them constantly throughout the day, and I've never had to change the battery. It's just basic, On/Off & Tare, but it does what I need it to.

nunu713
06-10-2009, 06:23 AM
I bought 2 Taylor digital food scales at Wal-Mart over a year ago for $20. I use one of them constantly throughout the day, and I've never had to change the battery. It's just basic, On/Off & Tare, but it does what I need it to.

Ditto - I use this scale too and it hasn't broken for me (yet). It also has an automatic shut off after a few minutes to save battery life. Kind of frustrating when I'm not quick enough getting all my food on the scale and I've got to keep turning it on, but whatever.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weights being off. An extra pound or two will correct itself pretty quickly. Yeah the setback sucks, but just refocus and get back on track. It's all part of the journey.