PDA

View Full Version : "I feel small in the gym"

-Lucifer
06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Anyone else felt the same way? I mean, I look pretty good and well-built at home but when I enter the gym and look at myself in the mirror, I feel like I've shrunk. Now it's not because there are huge guys like Ronnie Coleman in my gym; most guys are my size or smaller than me.

It does discourage me a little so I'd appreciate any kind of help.

TA!

andrewpoleon
06-08-2009, 01:06 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5umzTsvwI68/SXntR6cAdQI/AAAAAAAAAbU/ueI_fKxkILk/s400/039_Squat.jpg

We all get that feeling, unless we are Cutller or the next Mr. Olympia winner we will never be the biggest guy at the gym, unless you are at the YMCA at 7am in the morning.

E60M5
06-08-2009, 01:13 PM
TBH i love this feeling, Nothing gets me motivated more than thinking im the smallest in the gym. In fact ive had my best work outs when There have been bigger people in there who i feel are laughing at me :D

-Lucifer
06-08-2009, 01:45 PM
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5umzTsvwI68/SXntR6cAdQI/AAAAAAAAAbU/ueI_fKxkILk/s400/039_Squat.jpg[./img]

We all get that feeling, unless we are Cutller or the next Mr. Olympia winner we will never be the biggest guy at the gym, unless you are at the YMCA at 7am in the morning.

Thanks. That makes me feel better.

TBH i love this feeling, Nothing gets me motivated more than thinking im the smallest in the gym. In fact ive had my best work outs when There have been bigger people in there who i feel are laughing at me :D

I get discouraged because I've been lifting really hard lately and eating and sleeping well too.

Anyway, I'll try to workout even harder and get bigger. :)

Thanks guys. Repped you both.

andrewpoleon
06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
NO problem, thanks for the rep :D
Ya, I am currently a year away from an intrafraternal BB competition for my fraturnaty house, and well I see some guys at my college gym, and think, how will i ever get that big... or compair to the guy that did it for us this year...
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/bbd267/
I've thought of T and GH boosters and then I was like, wait, look at yourself a year ago, look at you now, just diet and work your ass off and you'll be fine!

-Lucifer
06-08-2009, 02:19 PM
wait, look at yourself a year ago, look at you now

You don't know what you just said lol.

This is fuking gold!

andrewpoleon
06-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Thank you :D

Elk888
06-08-2009, 05:07 PM
It's natural to compare, and it's a sign your long term goals are healthy that makes you compare yourself to the bigger guys in the gym and not the smaller guys.
If you wanted to, you could see that you're bigger than the guys around you. You choose the latter because you know where you want to be. It's all healthy stuff.
Try and keep impatience at bay and all will be well. Soon you'll be looking at that "type" of big guy and realise you're the same size. Then your sights will raise the bar higher, and higher and higher. S'all good.
Start worrying when you're in the gym and feeling like you don't need to be there.

Elk888
06-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Just re-read your post, and thought I'd add in. If you're talking about that "I looked bigger and more buff at home" feeling....that is normal too. Alone at home with no one to compare ourselves to, we can see the gains and the size. Stick someone next to you and the brain begins comparing and contrasting. Again, totally normal. Happens to me all the time.

FohawK
06-08-2009, 05:11 PM
some days i feel like a little pussy and some days i feel hyooge.. its really weird

moosecakes4all
06-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Im a pretty small guy at 5'6, most of the people at the gym are bigger than me. What keeps me motivated is the ability to go to the same bench or spot someone whose 6' plus was just at, toss 25-50 more pounds on and knock out a few sets. Also i love beating people bigger than me in MMA, or wrestling thats always fun. Lastly its always good motivation to me when i copy my workout buddies workouts, with his weights and his reps. Hes 6'1, 190, cut as can be!
Dont get discouraged man! Just pound that iron and Keep makin progress. :)

johnderriLLL
06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
hmm... i used to be 336 a mass monster, a mastadon, someone the refrigerator feared. now im a normal sized fellow that dosent overpower any one with size.

i have just come to accept this now.

if i feel any one at the gym is bettering me in any way i just take it and use it to try harder.

baco_bacon
06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
I always feel that way :D haha but I guess that's cause I'm not exactly big to begin with

LeapFroggie
06-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Since I'm a small girl, I'm always the smallest. But it's great when I go throw some weight on a squat rack and proceed to crank out twenty reps with a weight that everyone thinks I will probably drop on myself.

So enjoy yourself by stunning them when they underestimate you!

-Lucifer
06-08-2009, 06:53 PM
It's natural to compare, and it's a sign your long term goals are healthy that makes you compare yourself to the bigger guys in the gym and not the smaller guys.
If you wanted to, you could see that you're bigger than the guys around you. You choose the latter because you know where you want to be. It's all healthy stuff.
Try and keep impatience at bay and all will be well. Soon you'll be looking at that "type" of big guy and realise you're the same size. Then your sights will raise the bar higher, and higher and higher. S'all good.
Start worrying when you're in the gym and feeling like you don't need to be there.

Just re-read your post, and thought I'd add in. If you're talking about that "I looked bigger and more buff at home" feeling....that is normal too. Alone at home with no one to compare ourselves to, we can see the gains and the size. Stick someone next to you and the brain begins comparing and contrasting. Again, totally normal. Happens to me all the time.

Thanks, bro. I loved your posts. Repped.

Im a pretty small guy at 5'6, most of the people at the gym are bigger than me. What keeps me motivated is the ability to go to the same bench or spot someone whose 6' plus was just at, toss 25-50 more pounds on and knock out a few sets. Also i love beating people bigger than me in MMA, or wrestling thats always fun. Lastly its always good motivation to me when i copy my workout buddies workouts, with his weights and his reps. Hes 6'1, 190, cut as can be!
Dont get discouraged man! Just pound that iron and Keep makin progress. :)

Awesome stuff man. Your hard work sure is paying off! Will get you after I recharge.

And thanks to everyone else that replied. I appreciate the help. Will rep everyone after I recharge.

fortybelow
06-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I know what you mean bro! It is even worse for me since I actually am the smallest guy in the gym - the one that everyone stares at when Im benching 115 pounds with shaky hands. Well guess what? I don't give a f*** :D I just try to ignore them and think of what I'll be in a few months/years. Good Luck man..

chmbs1
06-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Not trying to sound arrogant or toot my own horn or anything, but I AM the biggest guy in my gym. There are smaller guys there who are busting their ass more than me and just because they don't have my frame or strength doesn't make them any less legit. I respect them. I respect any dude who comes in, trains like a warrior, and not to socialize or do his weekly chest/ bicep set. I also know that there are other gyms in my area where there are guys alot bigger than me. There is always someone bigger and stronger than you. You just have to try to live up to YOUR potential. That's really all you can do.

-Lucifer
06-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Not trying to sound arrogant or toot my own horn or anything, but I AM the biggest guy in my gym. There are smaller guys there who are busting their ass more than me and just because they don't have my frame or strength doesn't make them any less legit. I respect them. I respect any dude who comes in, trains like a warrior, and not to socialize or do his weekly chest/ bicep set. I also know that there are other gyms in my area where there are guys alot bigger than me. There is always someone bigger and stronger than you. You just have to try to live up to YOUR potential. That's really all you can do.

Dude, you ARE big.

Thanks again to all of you. I'm slowly repping everyone.

Senecan
06-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Im a pretty big guy in the gym, I have definition but I would like to be more defined, so I have the reverse of what you have sort of...Im seeing myself bigger in the gym and more leaner at my bathroom mirror. It just makes me work harder trying to get to my goal.

austin.j.taylor
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I am a large fellow myself and look big naturally. People are often shocked at how strong i am not. I always will respect anyone who is smaller than me that outlifts me any day of the week. I just hope that in the next year, those occurances are fewer and farther between. Don't let genetics get to you. Work your ass off and be the best you can.

Klumpurinn
06-09-2009, 09:35 AM
I feel your pain, I have the exact same feeling, even after a great workout and I feel pumped I still feel small, (not saying I'm big in any way) I think it's more of a mental thing then anything else. I remember reading in Arnold's encyclopedia that he thought about the muscles growing and imagined it. I think the mental part of bodybuilding is huge and when I'm in the gym and feel small and it has happened when I'm alone in the gym it does hurt my workout, sometimes I think what's the point but sometimes I can change it by just thinking I'm getting stronger and bigger...so it's all in the mind :)

iDrive
06-09-2009, 10:24 AM
The mirrors and lighting in the gym will mess with your head too. I have awesome separation in my arms when I get a good pump going in the gym then I get home and realize it probably wasn't so impressive lol

TheInfamous
06-09-2009, 10:37 AM
The mirrors and lighting in the gym will mess with your head too. I have awesome separation in my arms when I get a good pump going in the gym then I get home and realize it probably wasn't so impressive lol

This. The mirrors will mess with your head. I had people tell me that I look big but when I'm at 24 hours I fell very small. What do is use my cloths as judgment, they will never lie.

JustiNtense
06-09-2009, 09:49 PM
I feel small everywhere i go... Especially in the gym. Im here to help release the fire inside me i once had.

-Lucifer
06-10-2009, 03:00 AM
I feel small everywhere i go... Especially in the gym. Im here to help release the fire inside me i once had.
I think it's my attire. My gym attire makes me 'look' a tad smaller than I really am. When I'm out, I look pretty big.

E60M5
06-10-2009, 03:52 AM
I think it's my attire. My gym attire makes me 'look' a tad smaller than I really am. When I'm out, I look pretty big.

The only thing I will say with mirrors is, Although you often "look" bigger in them, What you must remember this is probably the most accurate view of you. This is what people see.

Due to the fact your head is at the top of your body, You are looking "DOWN" on yourself, Whenever you look down on something it looks smaller. Flex your Bicep and look at it. It looks smaller to you than it does to the mirror or someone else.

The thing with the gym, Unlike some other sports or hobbies, It is all YOU. No-one else. You can make the difference. If you want to be bigger only you can do this, No one else.

The single hardest part of the gym for me is the cutting process. Sure i look a hell of a lot better after a cut, But with my top on, Its quite obvious i've lost size (fat). T-shirts aren't as tight around the arms, and chest etc. YEs im more ripped, But i lose so much motivation during the Cut, I hate it. Because you are clothed 90% of the time (or should be) people dont notice why you have lost size. I've lost an inch off my arms, My arms are looking alot better for it, They are chizzled and defined, The peak of my bicep is more angular and my tricep is beggining to resemble a Horseshoe. But there is no getting past the fact my arm is now smaller. When you have a jumper on, The definition is not noticeable, but the loss in size is. This is where i lose the most motivation and are genuinely the least happy with myself, despite working harder. However, IMO the cut is a necessary part of the regime so I ust have to motivate my self through it.

I find the quote by the god (Arnold) helps, "You cant flex fat"

Taking photos on a regulr basis is a great motivator. Im a reletive n00b to training, But when i look at the progress ive made, I get a real Buzz that really motivates me, Even if you are feeling like you are getting no where.

KyleAaron
06-10-2009, 04:05 AM
Don't you feel bigger when you get the PUMP?! :)

I walk into the gym Pee Wee Herman and walk out Arnold Squashenegger! "Dat's der pump. Der pump is better zan cumink!"

hankst
06-10-2009, 04:10 AM
lol what the f..
I was going to open the exact same thread today. <3

But I'd like to add another level: I am 5"10' and weigh 175 lbs - so I am def. neither the smallest guy around (BF ~12%) nor a fatty. When I am at home, I feel like a fat b-tard (I was fat once), and when I am at the gym I feel weak and small.

So, technically, I should feel fine on my way to the gym and back home :D.

brandon92
06-10-2009, 04:18 AM
I love threads like this. I'm not really a small guy. But I'm certainly kinda weak. Especially on bench. But, im making gains, and just recently got serious in the gym. Eventually (hopefully) i'll be the biggest mofo in my gym.

-Lucifer
06-10-2009, 08:29 AM
The only thing I will say with mirrors is, Although you often "look" bigger in them, What you must remember this is probably the most accurate view of you. This is what people see.

Due to the fact your head is at the top of your body, You are looking "DOWN" on yourself, Whenever you look down on something it looks smaller. Flex your Bicep and look at it. It looks smaller to you than it does to the mirror or someone else.

The thing with the gym, Unlike some other sports or hobbies, It is all YOU. No-one else. You can make the difference. If you want to be bigger only you can do this, No one else.

The single hardest part of the gym for me is the cutting process. Sure i look a hell of a lot better after a cut, But with my top on, Its quite obvious i've lost size (fat). T-shirts aren't as tight around the arms, and chest etc. YEs im more ripped, But i lose so much motivation during the Cut, I hate it. Because you are clothed 90% of the time (or should be) people dont notice why you have lost size. I've lost an inch off my arms, My arms are looking alot better for it, They are chizzled and defined, The peak of my bicep is more angular and my tricep is beggining to resemble a Horseshoe. But there is no getting past the fact my arm is now smaller. When you have a jumper on, The definition is not noticeable, but the loss in size is. This is where i lose the most motivation and are genuinely the least happy with myself, despite working harder. However, IMO the cut is a necessary part of the regime so I ust have to motivate my self through it.

I find the quote by the god (Arnold) helps, "You cant flex fat"

Taking photos on a regulr basis is a great motivator. Im a reletive n00b to training, But when i look at the progress ive made, I get a real Buzz that really motivates me, Even if you are feeling like you are getting no where.
Well said, bro.

Don't you feel bigger when you get the PUMP?! :)

I walk into the gym Pee Wee Herman and walk out Arnold Squashenegger! "Dat's der pump. Der pump is better zan cumink!"
After I've done a few sets of incline bench or pullups, I feel swole!

lol what the f..
I was going to open the exact same thread today. <3

But I'd like to add another level: I am 5"10' and weigh 175 lbs - so I am def. neither the smallest guy around (BF ~12%) nor a fatty. When I am at home, I feel like a fat b-tard (I was fat once), and when I am at the gym I feel weak and small.

So, technically, I should feel fine on my way to the gym and back home :D.

I love threads like this. I'm not really a small guy. But I'm certainly kinda weak. Especially on bench. But, im making gains, and just recently got serious in the gym. Eventually (hopefully) i'll be the biggest mofo in my gym.

We all think alike. :)

ghostofinsanity89
06-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Anyone else felt the same way? I mean, I look pretty good and well-built at home but when I enter the gym and look at myself in the mirror, I feel like I've shrunk. Now it's not because there are huge guys like Ronnie Coleman in my gym; most guys are my size or smaller than me.

TA!

discourage? If anything it should encourage you

going to the gym shows you reality, you are small compared to the world

use it to your advantage

stay hungry, lift hard and leave nothing.

"Strive for perfection with the anger that you know you will achieve it"

-Lucifer
06-10-2009, 09:51 AM
discourage? If anything it should encourage you
going to the gym shows you reality, you are small compared to the world
use it to your advantage
stay hungry, lift hard and leave nothing.
"Strive for perfection with the anger that you know you will achieve it"

I've been lifting hard, eating right and sleeping well lately. So I've seen some decent gains in size and strength. So, when I go to the gym, I feel small and I tend to get discouraged. It seems like all my efforts are going in vain.

I've solved that problem though. I went to the Mall yesterday and got me some new attire.

lumbarjak
06-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I've been lifting hard, eating right and sleeping well lately. So I've seen some decent gains in size and strength. So, when I go to the gym, I feel small and I tend to get discouraged. It seems like all my efforts are going in vain.

I've solved that problem though. I went to the Mall yesterday and got me some new attire.

Good solution! I always feel bigger in my workout clothes.
When I feel small for whatever reason, I think of my buddies telling me I'm huge and then I go pump harder.

hikergirl
06-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Since I'm a small girl, I'm always the smallest. But it's great when I go throw some weight on a squat rack and proceed to crank out twenty reps with a weight that everyone thinks I will probably drop on myself.

So enjoy yourself by stunning them when they underestimate you!

I am small also. It used to bother me but not any more. I agree with LeapFroggie! Others do underestimate. Just because I am tiny framed, doesn't mean I can't hold my own. Besides, the nice part of being really lean is that I can do 4 sets of pull-ups! Sweet.

chmbs1
06-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I am small also. It used to bother me but not any more. I agree with LeapFroggie! Others do underestimate. Just because I am tiny framed, doesn't mean I can't hold my own. Besides, the nice part of being really lean is that I can do 4 sets of pull-ups! Sweet.

That is something to be proud of. Imagine weighing 290 with freakishly long arms. lol.

Elk888
06-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Cheers for the reps dude!

-Lucifer
06-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Cheers for the reps dude!
No problem, bro. Your posts helped me. ;)

Confuzzl3dOn3
06-12-2009, 10:28 PM
For me I guess i fall in the skinny fat category. I want to train and be big and strong, but every time i go the gym i'm definitely the weakest guy there. I seomtimes reckon i'm a joke when im benching like in the 40-50kg zone while guys are pushing out at least 60+.

exy
06-12-2009, 10:47 PM
I for one feel like a wimp until I put my dry fit shirt and shorts on and head down to the gym.

Once I get the blood flowing, I feel awesome, I feel like the man. That 1 hour I lift I feel the best. When I get home, the pump is gone, same old me...

It's what you make it, you're given what you're given, and at the very least, you are doing something about it.

TheAssassin
06-13-2009, 01:00 AM
i feel like that, everyones jacked lol

darkartist81
06-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah, i feel weak and blubbery at home... but at the gym I feel huge... it's funny how the gym clothes change me... the mirrors are flattering as well, especially when I get a good pump and am dripping sweat.

I'm cursed with a good bit of extra bodyfat, so it makes me look bigger than I really am... or hides my definition... either way.. I'm fatter than I look in the gym. lol

The real key is to mentally dominate when you are in the gym. Attack the muscles, imagine them growing bigger and more impressive... Make yourself FEEL like you are Mr. Olympia, and often.. you will see great results and feel good at the gym. It's really all a mental game.

Eventually, you will feel like Clark Kent ripping off his geeky shirt and glasses when you put your gym clothes on.

Germboy
06-13-2009, 07:10 PM
I've always lived in my own world thinking I'm "bigger" than the avg asian dude (I'm asian) in the gym till my friends commented that I'm pretty small sized.

nano.ix
06-13-2009, 07:32 PM

TA!

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z53sp4.gif
your small!

But i feel the same,
i just put my music in an concentrate on my lifts.
using the fact that you feel small motivation to get bigger :)

-Lucifer
06-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I've always lived in my own world thinking I'm "bigger" than the avg asian dude (I'm asian) in the gym till my friends commented that I'm pretty small sized.

I'm Asian too dude. I'm bigger than all my friends so they keep telling me how big I look. That's why I feel small in the gym I guess.

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z53sp4.gif
your small!

lol cute smiley.

GeekMuscle
06-13-2009, 11:09 PM
I've been small all my life. I definitely feel like the smallest dude in the gym sometimes- and everywhere else for that matter. Working on it though!

Ironlife
06-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Your massive man dont feel small, how do you think i feel now..
Dont worry about how other people look son.

x Idealist x
06-14-2009, 06:44 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5umzTsvwI68/SXntR6cAdQI/AAAAAAAAAbU/ueI_fKxkILk/s400/039_Squat.jpg

^ I work out at the Y at 7 am and there is one of the biggest guys that I have ever seen in there when I am. He has a Kia Greene type figure so you can imagine that he is massive, Just got sponsored and is moving to the coast I beleive he is going to be doing some shows comming up in 2010.

JmuscleGain
06-14-2009, 07:15 AM
I get discouraged sometimes too when I see no results, but the only way to get motivated is to change up your routine and keep going at it. u will then see results which will motivate you even more ...gd luck

Valjean
06-14-2009, 10:00 AM
What clothing do you wear? I usually wear black on black, and it's known that single color schemes make you appear slimmer all around, so I deal with this problem all the time too.

-Lucifer
06-14-2009, 10:14 AM
What clothing do you wear? I usually wear black on black, and it's known that single color schemes make you appear slimmer all around, so I deal with this problem all the time too.
Usually different coloured clothes. Like a black tshirt on navy tracks or a gray tshirt on black tracks.

fishpat86
06-15-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm the biggest 135 pound bloke around and I don't care what anyone says, I find its normally overweight people that say I'm small or skinny and they're just jealous. Its all in your head and like they say there's allways a bigger fish out there and screw them they were probably born with the gene's to be big and don't work half as hard as you.

I'm getting all fired up now, time for pasta and heavy things I tink.

Plus do as many roids and workout as much as ron or jay and you too can be a super freak!

Rawsy_08
06-15-2009, 02:03 PM
the only reason im not joining a gym just yet is because im so small, both height and size! at only 5 foot 6" and with hardly any muscle, i would feel imtimidated and it would make me feel less motivated. I can wait until next year when i will be a bit bigger and will be able to join the gym without looking like a weed :D

xAlphax
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
the only reason im not joining a gym just yet is because im so small, both height and size! at only 5 foot 6" and with hardly any muscle, i would feel imtimidated and it would make me feel less motivated. I can wait until next year when i will be a bit bigger and will be able to join the gym without looking like a weed :D

Hey we're about the same height! Don't do that. You're at the gym to improve yourself, not compare biceps with some big lug. See what YOU are capable of. I'm a lean person but I'd still go to the gym because I'd want to be fit just like the ones around me.

thedrivenone
06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Feel the same way. But I know after 5-6 years of hard training, 8-10lbs of healthy weight a year. I'll be at about 205-210, and I'll be bigger than those guys that I see at the gym that 27 years old, 225 at 13-13% BF. Just gotta be patient, I'm learning as I go big time. Made a compelte 360 in one year, feel miserable about that. Nonethless, my strength has gone up in some areas. Not so much in others.

Rawsy_08
06-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Hey we're about the same height! Don't do that. You're at the gym to improve yourself, not compare biceps with some big lug. See what YOU are capable of. I'm a lean person but I'd still go to the gym because I'd want to be fit just like the ones around me.

Very true mate, but i would still feel intimidated, although if i bulk up a bit within the next 12 months just so i dont look so scrawny i will probably join a gym because i know it will help me improve more than my own home gym. :)

xAlphax
06-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Very true mate, but i would still feel intimidated, although if i bulk up a bit within the next 12 months just so i dont look so scrawny i will probably join a gym because i know it will help me improve more than my own home gym. :)

Just pretend you're like another person in the background if it's too bothersome. Get in. Lift. Mission accomplished. Disappear.

Rawsy_08
06-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Just pretend you're like another person in the background if it's too bothersome. Get in. Lift. Mission accomplished. Disappear.

yeah good idea, i dont get distracted when i workout anyway im always really focused so it might not actually be that much of a problem. :) I hope.

-GentleGiant-
06-15-2009, 06:03 PM
This may sound weird to some of you but I sometimes pretend i'm hulk. Just visualize that your a monster and that you can lift anything you want and that you are the biggest guy/girl in the gym. This will help you stay motivated, Well it works for me but may not work for others lol.

fortybelow
06-16-2009, 12:35 AM
This may sound weird to some of you but I sometimes pretend i'm hulk. Just visualize that your a monster and that you can lift anything you want and that you are the biggest guy/girl in the gym. This will help you stay motivated, Well it works for me but may not work for others lol.

looking at your pic/bodyweight/height you are a hulk :D I don't think you'll have any "small in the gym" problems :D

-Lucifer
06-16-2009, 02:53 AM
Thanks man. Repped.

And yeah, I agree with the poster above. You ARE a hulk lol.

hankst
06-16-2009, 03:04 AM

Dude, just sign in and start lifting. It's not about what you think that others think about you! Just do your stuff and be the best you can.

(Coming from a guy who "just started squatting" and squats 60 kg aka 132 lbs in the only squat rack for 3 sets@10 reps and grunts like a pig at the last few)

thebigguy1
06-16-2009, 04:10 AM

TA!

Wow, do I know this feeling all too well....

And it is natural to feel that way sometimes. I am sure a lot of the pros look at themselves and still don't think they are big enough, and I am SURE there is at least one that thinks he is still "too small" or is "shrinking".

In the past, when I first began to start working out, not only did I feel small but at the very beginning I was actually afraid to go into the gym I was such a runt.

And then, one day I had the courage to get out of the car, go into the gym, grab a 20 pound cambered bar and went to the very back of the gym and started to do some curls. After that day it got easier and easier. And one day I realized that no one really was paying me any attention and the only person that was holding me back was ME!

Today I am a good 15 years older and 110 pounds heavier, and sometimes I still have those "I feel small" moods, even at my current 260 pounds. But, you know something? That motivates me even more to go full bore in the gym. And to this day I know the only real competition I have is myself. :)

So just remember, the feeling is valid, and just say "well, I'm going to do something about it right now!!". And kill those weights!

Ron III---III

P.S. Ronnie Coleman? You must be in or near Arlington Texas.

fitmember
06-16-2009, 04:14 AM

whos at the Y at 7am??

Ironlife
06-16-2009, 05:33 AM

And it is natural to feel that way sometimes. I am sure a lot of the pros look at themselves and still don't think they are big enough, and I am SURE there is at least one that thinks he is still "too small" or is "shrinking".

In the past, when I first began to start working out, not only did I feel small but at the very beginning I was actually afraid to go into the gym I was such a runt.

And then, one day I had the courage to get out of the car, go into the gym, grab a 20 pound cambered bar and went to the very back of the gym and started to do some curls. After that day it got easier and easier. And one day I realized that no one really was paying me any attention and the only person that was holding me back was ME!

Today I am a good 15 years older and 110 pounds heavier, and sometimes I still have those "I feel small" moods, even at my current 260 pounds. But, you know something? That motivates me even more to go full bore in the gym. And to this day I know the only real competition I have is myself. :)

So just remember, the feeling is valid, and just say "well, I'm going to do something about it right now!!". And kill those weights!

Ron III---III

wow that was good to read man, good post but you serious? how you said you still feel small sometimes??

chmbs1
06-16-2009, 06:18 AM

Ron III---III

Okay, looking at your picture you look like something out of a comic book, so I can't imagine a guy like you thinking your small, but hey, I guess it happens to everyone.

-Lucifer
06-17-2009, 02:22 AM

Ron III---III

Thanks, (very!) big man. Nice post.

I'm just getting ready to hit the gym. It's shoulder + trap day today so I'm super motivated! Will hit those side delts harder than I did last week.

Me talking about Big Ron was a joke. I live in India. The biggest guy I've seen at my gym is around 240 lbs lol. So I was saying, despite that I feel small. Hell I used to feel smaller than some of the 180 lbers at times!

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us. I appreciate it.

acidking
06-17-2009, 07:21 AM
i learned one thing, don't compare yourself with guys in the gym, wether big or small, it's not right because if you're small then you're belittling yourself, if you're big then you're bully-minded ... go to the malls or crowded places, compare yourself there, people on average are physically unfit, either over weight or under it.

otongki
06-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi, it is normal that you feel small sometimes when you're in a gym. I found it motivating to make me want to nail every reps I have as hard as I can.

But, if you becoming discourage and not wanting to do your work in the gym because of that, you might have something called muscle dysmorphia. It is a disorder where someone feels that he/she doesn't look muscular enough although they already are. It is commonly found among physique athletes like bodybuilding.

To me, I went to the gym and look at the mirror telling me that I am small. That way I can be motivated to pile up those plates and crank every single reps I have until I am out.. Clothings also helps in many way.. When you are bulking or gaining weight, wear clothings that is loosely attached to your body, usually one size bigger than your normal wear.. and when you cutting down, wear those wifebeater or sleeveless shirt to pop-out what you have been working of.

But I think the best way is to find the balance between optimist and pessimist, this way you will be self motivated to do the work no matter if there is a bigger guy watching you intimidatingly.

This is an article about muscle dysmorphia http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gearuzr1.htm

Train hard!!

-Lucifer
06-17-2009, 08:41 AM
i learned one thing, don't compare yourself with guys in the gym, wether big or small, it's not right because if you're small then you're belittling yourself, if you're big then you're bully-minded ... go to the malls or crowded places, compare yourself there, people on average are physically unfit, either over weight or under it.

Good point. I sent some greenz your way.

Hi, it is normal that you feel small sometimes when you're in a gym. I found it motivating to make me want to nail every reps I have as hard as I can.

But, if you becoming discourage and not wanting to do your work in the gym because of that, you might have something called muscle dysmorphia. It is a disorder where someone feels that he/she doesn't look muscular enough although they already are. It is commonly found among physique athletes like bodybuilding.

To me, I went to the gym and look at the mirror telling me that I am small. That way I can be motivated to pile up those plates and crank every single reps I have until I am out.. Clothings also helps in many way.. When you are bulking or gaining weight, wear clothings that is loosely attached to your body, usually one size bigger than your normal wear.. and when you cutting down, wear those wifebeater or sleeveless shirt to pop-out what you have been working of.

But I think the best way is to find the balance between optimist and pessimist, this way you will be self motivated to do the work no matter if there is a bigger guy watching you intimidatingly.

This is an article about muscle dysmorphia http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/gearuzr1.htm

Train hard!!

Cheers for the link, otongki. Repped.

dieselboi
06-17-2009, 08:50 AM
if anything this motivates me more, it lets me visualize the result and makes me attack the weights hard lol