PDA

View Full Version : Nasrallah concedes election defeat

1devil
06-08-2009, 11:38 AM
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/06/2009681835910848.html

"In terms of parliamentary seats the equation has not changed much between the Hezbollah-led opposition and the March 14th loyalists, yet the opposition, in the words of its own supporters, suffered real defeat. The pro-opposition Al Akhbar daily called it an astounding defeat.

"Both the majority and the opposition expected the opposition to win because there had been indications that the balance of power on the ground had changed in favour of Hezbollah and their allies."

DCarruso
06-08-2009, 11:55 AM
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/06/2009681835910848.html

"In terms of parliamentary seats the equation has not changed much between the Hezbollah-led opposition and the March 14th loyalists, yet the opposition, in the words of its own supporters, suffered real defeat. The pro-opposition Al Akhbar daily called it an astounding defeat.

"Both the majority and the opposition expected the opposition to win because there had been indications that the balance of power on the ground had changed in favour of Hezbollah and their allies."
May be when he imports more food and medicine into South Lebanon, instead of more rockets and more bunkers.... But I am not holding my breath.

George Carlinian
06-09-2009, 03:22 AM
I'm not holding my breath about either side of the Lebanese political paradigm. One looks towards the East for support and one to the West. Though the one looking to the west would seem more progressive, its hard to imagine their image as imperialist pawns being easier to shake off than Nasrallah & co who can merely claim friendship with neighbors.

MantisShrimp
06-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Yeah that's cool and all, but I think the parliament matters in Lebanon about as much as it did in 1972. Should be fun when they try to disarm Hezbollah. I don't believe that a group that has quit and collapsed parliament in the past is suddenly going to start adhering to a defeat and lining up for a post-game handshake.

Look for them to agitate at the border again in order to bolster their relevance. Looks good on paper, but this will probably cause a war.
And we'd better be able to back up our "western allies" this time instead of hanging them out to dry.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-lebanon-elections9-2009jun09,0,3648324.story

bird72
06-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Official results showed the Sunni-led March 14 coalition, led by Saad Hariri, the son of Rafiq Hariri, the assassinated former prime minister, winning 71 seats in the 128-seat parliament, while the Hezbollah-led alliance took 57."

In the face of the Syrian butcher. And in the face of Tehran's atomic ant.

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss218/bird7272/admadinejahatomicant.jpg

PD.
That's in Rafiq Hariri memorian.

BahadurShah
06-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Aside from the fact that this isn't really a defeat so much as falling short of expectations that were unrealistically high to begin with, Hezbollah can still basically do as it pleases in Lebanon. Like Mantis said, ultimately it doesn't matter that much to them.

That's in Rafiq Hariri memorian.

The idea that Hezbollah was behind Hariri's death is pretty funny.

bird72
06-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Aside from the fact that this isn't really a defeat so much as falling short of expectations that were unrealistically high to begin with, Hezbollah can still basically do as it pleases in Lebanon. Like Mantis said, ultimately it doesn't matter that much to them. .

Your admission of Hezbolla do as it pleases in Lebanon, just made Arabs looks like ****, when they begin to whining, due to Israel attacks to Lebanon.:rolleyes:

The idea that Hezbollah was behind Hariri's death is pretty funny.

I was referring to the Syrian butcher....

BahadurShah
06-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Your admission of Hezbolla do as it pleases in Lebanon, just made Arabs looks like ****, when they begin to whining, due to Israel attacks to Lebanon.:rolleyes:

.. wat?