PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court rejects challenge to 'don't ask, don't tell' military policy

NoCreativity
06-08-2009, 11:30 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98MHV380&show_article=1

It should stay this way imo.... If the dude next to me is gay, personally I'd rather not know about it.

hooked4life
06-08-2009, 11:46 AM

It should stay this way imo.... If the dude next to me is gay, personally I'd rather not know about it.

if a dude is risking his life for his county i'd think he would have the right to admit one of the most basic traits of his nature.

call me an old fashioned freedom loving american, but it seems fair to me.

HoosierBoy
06-08-2009, 11:53 AM
if a dude is risking his life for his county i'd think he would have the right to admit one of the most basic traits of his nature.

You're OK with people running around explaining to everyone what they like to do in a bedroom?

hooked4life
06-08-2009, 11:55 AM
You're OK with people running around explaining to everyone what they like to do in a bedroom?

not in general, no. where are you going with this? what's your point?

DinoT1985
06-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Regardless of new age thinking, there are still people in service who would beat up someone for being gay. What would be the oint of them declaring that? They aint there to date or for sex, they are there to do their job as soldiers. Knowledge given on a need to know basis. This basis, there is no need to know. It will cause more trouble than anything.

1stindoor
06-08-2009, 12:00 PM

Are you on active duty?

Personally, what difference does it make?

What bothers me the most about these discussions is the fact that usually the OP is not on active duty. The other thing that makes this equally stupid is the belief that the Armed Services makes this policy. If you don't like it...tell your congressman. If it's not overturned, vote 'em out of office. If it doesn't affect you personally...then why bring it up.

hooked4life
06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Regardless of new age thinking, there are still people in service who would beat up someone for being gay. What would be the oint of them declaring that? They aint there to date or for sex, they are there to do their job as soldiers. Knowledge given on a need to know basis. This basis, there is no need to know. It will cause more trouble than anything.

that's like saying it's a girl's fault she got raped.

not only that it's a huge double standard, by this logic you shouldn't be able to wear a wedding ring in the service.

Gabriel Anton
06-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Who gives a **** what you personally want to know or not.

Grow a pair and deal with it. Pretending people don't exist doesn't make them go away.

1stindoor
06-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Are you okay with a bunch of your heterosexual friends talking about the woman they beded this past weekend?

TysonLabowski
06-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Im active duty, and i could really care less if there was an openly gay dude serving right next to me.. It aint like him being gay is going to affect me.. Believe it or not, gay people are super sexual deviants..

1stindoor
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM

While this is true to an extent, it's also due to a severe case of homophobia. I think the next time some guy comes onto a woman in a bar...and she doesn't appreciate it...she should just round up a bunch of her friends and then beat the guy to death.

Gabriel Anton
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Im active duty, and i could really care less if there was an openly gay dude serving right next to me.. It aint like him being gay is going to affect me.. Believe it or not, gay people are super sexual deviants..

I always get a laugh out of the 'sexual deviant' thing.

Spend a few hours in the misc and see what the 'normal' guys talk about doing to women .

Here's a hint , it's not perfunctory missionary sex in a dark marital bedroom for the purpose of procreation.

DinoT1985
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
that's like saying it's a girl's fault she got raped.

not only that it's a huge double standard, by this logic you shouldn't be able to wear a wedding ring in the service.

no it isnt lmao. Please explain how? Face facts people, there is still discrimination towards gay people no matter how liberal you try to think society is. They do it because they are homophobic and hate gay people. Hasnt the bannings of gay marriage proved that society is far from being open minded? Raping a woman is because the guy has a sick mind and wants to dominate a woman whom he finds attractive. There are NOT the same. Go rethink that.

hooked4life
06-08-2009, 12:15 PM
no it isnt lmao. Please explain how? Face facts people, there is still discrimination towards gay people no matter how liberal you try to think society is. They do it because they are homophobic and hate gay people. Hasnt the bannings of gay marriage proved that society is far from being open minded? Raping a woman is because the guy has a sick mind and wants to dominate a woman whom he finds attractive. There are NOT the same. Go rethink that.

i have thought about it.

you're saying gay people can't have a basic liberty because they will get attacked for it.

it's blaming the victim.

and anyway, even if they DO get attacked, you think gay guys (gay guys in the military) don't know that? they have ballz (no pun) and are willing to fight for what they believe in.

more power to them.

HoosierBoy
06-08-2009, 12:47 PM
not in general, no. where are you going with this? what's your point?

So you're not generally ok with people saying they're gay?

Are you okay with a bunch of your heterosexual friends talking about the woman they beded this past weekend?

No, I'm not. What's your point?

hooked4life
06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
So you're not generally ok with people saying they're gay?

Troll? I'm not generally ok with anyone telling me details about their sex life, one way or the other strait or gay.

DinoT1985
06-08-2009, 01:04 PM
i have thought about it.

you're saying gay people can't have a basic liberty because they will get attacked for it.

it's blaming the victim.

and anyway, even if they DO get attacked, you think gay guys (gay guys in the military) don't know that? they have ballz (no pun) and are willing to fight for what they believe in.

more power to them.

No, I'm talking about gay soldiers. Does their sexuality being known have any ositive in the military? No, it does however have a negative. In confined quarters and bunkers outside of family support and policing as faced being a citizen, things in the military are different. So just because they have balls to, they should risk that? I'm sorry but thats like a person who has no fear would gladly play russian roulette with a 50% person chance of winning. Just because you do it doesnt make you smart. Yet again you fail to see that if theres no positive, there shouldnt be a need to challenge the negative. If you want to fight gay rights, do it outside of the military where once all is said and done, you arent chancing going to bed in the same bunk with someone who hates you.

I talk to ex-military all the time with dealings in the security industry. Some compare it to prison. Infront of your superiors, you do as you are told and speak when spoken to. Within your own ranks, with piers, fights can break out and because you are a soldier and needed, you'll likely face 6 hours of running while holding your rifle over your head as punishment than face real jail time.

Skunk
06-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I would care less if I knew a gay man openly served with me, but then again I am also not homophobic. There are some homophobic rednecks, gangstas, etc in the military that might not be able to hold themselves back from their homophobia... but then again the raping of women still happens occasionally too. Crimes happen in the military, but there's no reason to protect the possible gay victims to appease the idiots that would commit the crimes. Most folks in the military CAN handle working next to a gay man, at least from my experience. It might be different in other areas of the military though. Nonetheless, if a man feels he is incapable of defendng the U.S. because of the sexual preferences of the guy or girl next to him... if his mind is that weak, then perhaps he isn't fit to defend the country. This is a political issue though, and thus it should be dealt with politicians, not military personnel.

HoosierBoy
06-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Troll? I'm not generally ok with anyone telling me details about their sex life, one way or the other strait or gay.

A male saying that he's gay is tantamount to him saying "I like to have sex with men".

And yes, I'm aware that you people could totally quote only the last part of that sentence and use it against me.

hooked4life
06-08-2009, 02:26 PM
A male saying that he's gay is tantamount to him saying "I like to have sex with men".

And yes, I'm aware that you people could totally quote only the last part of that sentence and use it against me.

a male saying i'm strait is tantamount to him saying 'i like to have sex with woman.' wtf the is your point?

MyLastSerenade
06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
You all are missing a point. When you sign up to serve, they don't ask if you are heterosexual either. It is something to keep to yourself, because it doesn't pertain to the situation and can cause problems.

They do it because they are homophobic and hate gay people. That is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard.

hooked4life
06-08-2009, 02:50 PM
You all are missing a point. When you sign up to serve, they don't ask if you are heterosexual either. It is something to keep to yourself, because it doesn't pertain to the situation and can cause problems.

Ohhh yea right, everyone keeps being strait to themselves 100% of the time. Give me a break.

That is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard.

Homophobia isn't an issue in the military? Why the hate? Please educate me.

Gabriel Anton
06-08-2009, 02:54 PM

lol

Really?

So people who are deployed/on base/assignment etc. never talk about their personal lives?

Just talk about military issues and stare at each other in uncomfortable silence the rest of the time?

oh lawd

hooked4life
06-08-2009, 02:56 PM
lol

Really?

So people who are deployed/on base/assignment etc. never talk about their personal lives?

Just talk about military issues and stare at each other in uncomfortable silence the rest of the time?

oh lawd

when i hang out with 6-7 guy friends, maybe a drink or two after a hard day i NEVER .. EVER talk about a woman i find hot or my personal life EVER. don't be absurd.

Organichu
06-09-2009, 10:06 AM
So what about social functions? Are they to not bring their partners? What if they're lifers?

Gabriel Anton
06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
So what about social functions? Are they to not bring their partners? What if they're lifers?

and trying to keep the pronouns 'straight'

oi vey

reyalp
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
in before hooked4life bails on this thread too