PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Prenatal Nutritionist

Mrsstanpoe
06-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Hey all!

I am 6 weeks preggo and looking for a nutritionist to help me with meal planning for my pregnancy. I want to gain the LEAST amount of weight possible while having the best chance for a healthy baby. I am eating clean and have been for almost a year now. I understand I only need 300 calories a day but I am SO busy at work and home that I don't have time to plan my meals for the special needs of a pregnancy.

any help is appreciated!

Laurie

Jrzimmer
06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not a nutritionist nor am I able to help you find one. Still gonna give my opinion tho! :p I think as long as you pay attention to your portion size and CLEAN CLEAN eating and have a general idea of your cals, you should be good. 300 cals is the general estimation across the board from what I've seen on different sites, however, every body is different. I think the clean eating is the most important, preservatives and extra hormones can make everything out of whack which I'm sure you know. Hope this helps!

sallythatgirl
06-09-2009, 12:37 PM
While I am a nutritionist, I am not experienced in prenatal nutrition BUT I still will give you my opinion;) I have read journals about this, but have never had a pregnant client...Take your current plan and just add 2 cups of 1 percent milk to two meals..unless you are lactose intolerant...this will keep whatever macro plan you are following fairly in line as it is a good mix of carbs protein fat. Also, since you don't have much time to devote to meal planning this seems like such an easy addition. I will look through some articles and pm you a bit of info! Yeah for you!

terracotta
06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey all!

I am 6 weeks preggo and looking for a nutritionist to help me with meal planning for my pregnancy. I want to gain the LEAST amount of weight possible while having the best chance for a healthy baby. I am eating clean and have been for almost a year now. I understand I only need 300 calories a day but I am SO busy at work and home that I don't have time to plan my meals for the special needs of a pregnancy.

any help is appreciated!

Laurie

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Do NOT concentrate on weight gain PLEASE don't try to gain "the least amount possible". I went from 125 lbs to 168 lbs before giving birth. A lot of that was excess water I was carrying all over my body. If I freaked about it and cut back, I would have undernourished myself! My baby is 7 weeks old, and I am down to 138 lbs without using exercise. I just started the exercise last week!

Your job is to get all of your nutrients. Eat lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, nuts, meats, etc. Limit processed foods OR choose good choices. Those healthy choice frozen dinners are not too bad! If you have food aversions, don't eat those foods. Take a prenatal multivitamin daily, and fish oils.

Give in if you are craving something. It may mean your diet is lacking in something. I mean, don't have a whole cake and tub of ice cream, but don't deprive yourself of what you are craving, or have a healthier treat. I had LOTS of treats while pregnant, and I only have 13 lbs to get to prepregnancy weight. I did very little exercise while pregnant. If I did more exercise, I may have been closer.

By the way, you don't really have to gain first trimester unless you are underweight. If you have food aversions or morning sickness, you may lose a little. Once week 12 or so hit, I got a LOT more hungry. I ate in the middle of the night too! I have a wonderful healthy baby, and that is what matters!

terracotta
06-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Oh, and make sure you get enough fats in your diet, at least 50g a day. For calories that depends on your activity level. But if you aren't underweight you should be able to use maintenance calories first trimester, then for second and third add the 300-500 calories in. But I didn't count calories (except maybe for a week), I just ate!