PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for some help.

torig
06-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site, and to dieting/exercising as well. I used to be in good shape when I was in high school because I played multiple sports, but over the last couple of years I've gained around 60 pounds. I decided that it was time to begin to reshape my body and lose weight. My boyfriend has been helping me with a diet and exercise program since he's been doing it himself for awhile, but I was hoping to get the advice of some women since it might be a little more useful. I've been eating 1400 to 1600 calories a day with a roughly 20% fat, 40% protein, 40% carb ratio, and I've been doing an hour of low intensity cardio 5 or 6 times a week with resistance training 6 times a week. The first two weeks I was doing this routine and diet I lost 6 pounds of fat and had no muscle loss, but this week I lost muscle and gained back some fat, so I was wondering if anyone has been as overweight as I am and would be willing to share some successful tips so that I don't continue to use up muscle instead of fat. Thanks a lot.

ozigal
06-07-2009, 06:24 PM
1. calculate maintenance calories by using Harris-Benedict formula (online)
2. I can tell you now that you're not eating nearly enough for the amount of activity you're doing
3. there is absolutely no need to be doing so much cardio. Cut it to 3 sessions of HIIT a week
4. What does the split for your resistance program look like?
5. What does an average day of your diet look like?

With a combination of eating too little and doing too much cardio you're well on your way to hitting a plateau where you'll stop seeing results (if you haven't already hit it)

I'd actually suggest slowly increasing your calories and eating at maintenance for 1-2weeks to get your metabolic rate back up and then you can drop them to be in a 500 calorie deficit.