PDA

View Full Version : new here and frustrated!

evelynmp
06-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Hey everyone! I recently joined a few days ago and have mostly been lurking and reading. There is a wealth of knowledge here! These forums are so motivating and informational, it's great!

My bf pointed me towards the forums because I am constantly frustrated about my weight. I am 23 and have basically been a runner all my life (doing half marathons and etc). I started really weight training in January and doing slightly less cardio, but it seems that I haven't lost any weight at all, but instead, I have gone up two pant sizes! I just feel like I am getting bigger in general and not more toned and lean.

I have eaten fairly clean most of the time, but recently started eating really clean doing the whole 40/30/30 and getting in lots of lean protein.

Sometimes I just want to give up! I honestly don't feel like I have made much of an improvement in six months and I can't seem to see any results

I have been doing P90X since January...I am now on Round 2 of the Doubles plan...so I have been doing it for like 133 days so far

Any advice or thoughts? I am 5'6 and weigh about 120 lbs. I really would like to lose more body fat and get lean. thanks in advance!

ITrikke
06-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Hey everyone! I recently joined a few days ago and have mostly been lurking and reading. There is a wealth of knowledge here! These forums are so motivating and informational, it's great!

My bf pointed me towards the forums because I am constantly frustrated about my weight. I am 23 and have basically been a runner all my life (doing half marathons and etc). I started really weight training in January and doing slightly less cardio, but it seems that I haven't lost any weight at all, but instead, I have gone up two pant sizes! I just feel like I am getting bigger in general and not more toned and lean.

I have eaten fairly clean most of the time, but recently started eating really clean doing the whole 40/30/30 and getting in lots of lean protein.

Sometimes I just want to give up! I honestly don't feel like I have made much of an improvement in six months and I can't seem to see any results

Any advice or thoughts? I am 5'6 and weigh about 120 lbs. thanks in advance!

What kind of cardio are you doing?? How many days a week?

momthebomb
06-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Any advice or thoughts? I am 5'6 and weigh about 120 lbs. thanks in advance!

I can't say for sure what might be your problem, but some things to consider may be...

1. Are you lifting hard enough or with enough intensity. A common mistake I see with 'newbies' in the weight room is they lift the weights, but aren't lifting heavy enough, or with too many reps, or just simply not intense enough. You should feel fairly spent at the end of your workout.

2. What kind of carbs are you getting - simple or complex? How much sugar are you consuming. The nutrient ratio is important, but how you get those nutrients is also key.

3. What are your fitness goals. 5'6" and 120 seems fairly healthy to me. Are you looking to add lean muscle or lose fat? Whatever that may be, I'd put less importance on the scale and most importance on what you see in the mirror or how your clothes fit.

I know this isn't much help, but perhaps if you could share more, people here might be able to help with your frustration.

evelynmp
06-06-2009, 08:34 AM
What kind of cardio are you doing?? How many days a week?

I used to run 6 days a week (about 30-40 miles total), but now I run about 3 days a week (about 10 miles total)

evelynmp
06-06-2009, 08:37 AM
I can't say for sure what might be your problem, but some things to consider may be...

1. Are you lifting hard enough or with enough intensity. A common mistake I see with 'newbies' in the weight room is they lift the weights, but aren't lifting heavy enough, or with too many reps, or just simply not intense enough. You should feel fairly spent at the end of your workout.

2. What kind of carbs are you getting - simple or complex? How much sugar are you consuming. The nutrient ratio is important, but how you get those nutrients is also key.

3. What are your fitness goals. 5'6" and 120 seems fairly healthy to me. Are you looking to add lean muscle or lose fat? Whatever that may be, I'd put less importance on the scale and most importance on what you see in the mirror or how your clothes fit.

I know this isn't much help, but perhaps if you could share more, people here might be able to help with your frustration.

1. that might be it...i have recently upped some of my weights but I will give it some more time to see improvements

2. I generally eat steel cut oatmeal or fruit for carbs and I eat veggies like broc**** with lunch and dinner

3. I really would like add lean muscle and lose fat (but I know it's better to do one thing at a time)

freebirdmac
06-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Get off PX90 and hit the weights at the gym, 4-5 times a week. How many cals are you eating?

With your stats and background in running, you probably need to gain considerable muscle mass. Going up in pant size can be a combination of muscle pump as well as some muscle gains. Whether or not you gained fat too depends on your cal intake. I can tell you that when you really go for muscle gains, ie bulk, you will gain some fat. It should be minimal though. You'll probably need to go through a few iterations of bulking and leaning out to get where you want to be. Just losing body fat with minimal muscle gains just makes you look smaller. Not better.

evelynmp
06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Get off PX90 and hit the weights at the gym, 4-5 times a week. How many cals are you eating?

With your stats and background in running, you probably need to gain considerable muscle mass. Going up in pant size can be a combination of muscle pump as well as some muscle gains. Whether or not you gained fat too depends on your cal intake. I can tell you that when you really go for muscle gains, ie bulk, you will gain some fat. It should be minimal though. You'll probably need to go through a few iterations of bulking and leaning out to get where you want to be. Just losing body fat with minimal muscle gains just makes you look smaller. Not better.

my bf also suggest that I head back to the gym to get a real work out. I have been eating 1400-1500 calories per day...he also suggested that I need to up my calories as long as it's quality clean food

I think I will give it a shot and hope for the best!

thanks for all the responses so far

freebirdmac
06-06-2009, 09:41 AM
1600 cals is more in line for fat loss for you. If you want to gain muscle, you should eat 100-200 over maintenance. I've got your maintenance around 2100 cals. Being it's summer, you might want to try a slow recomp, ie slowly lose fat while slowly gaining muscle. For that you'd eat 100-200 under maintenance.

Be warned, running 10 miles 3x a week can easily hinder muscle gains.

evelynmp
06-06-2009, 09:52 AM
1600 cals is more in line for fat loss for you. If you want to gain muscle, you should eat 100-200 over maintenance. I've got your maintenance around 2100 cals. Being it's summer, you might want to try a slow recomp, ie slowly lose fat while slowly gaining muscle. For that you'd eat 100-200 under maintenance.

Be warned, running 10 miles 3x a week can easily hinder muscle gains.

thanks for the info! i have only been running 10 miles total for the week, you might have misread it :)

ms_proteinshake
06-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm 5'6 and when I get under 120lbs, I start looking too skinny..... ????

Sounds like your workouts are right on---its probably diet related. Start doing a journal.