PDA

View Full Version : How to force yourself to push out that one last rep....

andre3k1
06-01-2009, 06:25 PM
"one, two, three, fooouurr, fiiiivveee, siiiiiiiiixxxx, seeeeveeeenn, eeeeeeeiiiiiiiiigggghhhhtttttt"

^ that look familiar to you?

Don't the reps seem to get longer and harder as you progress?

What do you do to motivate yourself to really push out that last one?

You know the feeling of accomplishment, and you want it!!

My Tip: Come up with your own motivational saying and stick with it! REPEAT IT OVER AND OVER!!

Ever heard "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weights... BUT I DO!" ? Ronnie uses it himself to get pumped up before, during and after his sets.

I too coined my own saying: "If you start you finish and if you finish you started."

I invite you to come up with your own. Go ahead, share yours with us! . .. .

andre3k1
06-01-2009, 07:22 PM
.........and my first thread in the motivation section of the forums is deemed a failure.

Now that's motivation for ya!

Runteldat
06-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Dude lol My motivation is Rocky --- I know, corny right?

But I downloaded the sound track to every single rocky. I especially love the songs from Rocky IV when he fought that big ass Russian.

Play it on the Mp3 player, and all is good.

Emma-Leigh
06-02-2009, 03:40 AM
LOL... Failure? Hmm... not *exactly* but it has kinda already talked about:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116678301
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116539321

:p

Ironlife
06-02-2009, 04:27 AM
watch a doco called 'relentless enemies'' that has inspired me to lift heavy and go hard as possible.

Tomek
06-02-2009, 05:42 AM
When training upper body

I chuckle and say

"this **** ain't got nothing on leg's"

when training legs the following

"The Universe is immense, your pain is minimal, not recognised it's not there, it's totally irrelevant but psychologically adaptable!"

iDrive
06-02-2009, 07:27 AM
My workout partner once told me to focus on the bar (weight) and act like you're going to kill it.

"Treat it like someone just smacked your girlfriend or mother."

It was kind of funny to think of at the time but if you can get to the intensity like you're going to destroy someone it helps push out the last rep.

\J/
06-02-2009, 07:30 AM
just think that someone somewhere else is training harder than you so you gotta push that weight

ghostofinsanity89
06-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Dont think about how heavy the weights is, think about the muscles thats being worked on and how it is slowly growing.

Oh and dont think how many reps you still have to do. Just ****ing do it!

Edit: I also like to ask myself "Are you gonna finish strong?"

andre3k1
06-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Dont think about how heavy the weights is, think about the muscles thats being worked on and how it is slowly growing.

Oh and dont think how many reps you still have to do. Just ****ing do it!

Edit: I also like to ask myself "Are you gonna finish strong?"

I like this one.... Are you gunna finish strong or be a pussy! :P

LOL... Failure? Hmm... not *exactly* but it has kinda already talked about:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116678301
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116539321

:p

that would have involved using search. like a proper noob in the motivation section i neglected it! :D

Universal64
06-02-2009, 12:50 PM
hands down the only think i put in my mind before stepping foor in the gym is "don't think, just lift"...a lot of people think about **** too much and psych themself out

Greater Deity
06-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I always think, "Ok there is someone else in here that can push more weight than me, or do more reps of what I am doing... **** IT!" Then I get mad and push all out. I hurt myself last week because I went into a beastly rage.

ndruo
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
"Don't quit. Ever." <--- for that small burst...

"Yes, it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. How on earth are you expecting to change yourself if you aren't willing to step outside of what you're used to, what you're comfortable with! GO, dammit! Shut the f*ck up and GO!" <--- if I'm really falling off.

Ragnor187
06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
my fav quote is

"you gotta want it"

i actually heard it the first time when playing need for speed carbon and racing the end boss
(he taunts you with that quote)

but it gets me so pumped before i go to the gym and during and after sets

Lifter4Life59
06-02-2009, 03:41 PM
i love thinking about the speech in the locker room from Any Given Sunday, gets me jacked up :D

greaterpower
06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Good thread.
I think about my old high school football coach who is a very good friend of mine. He rarely got revved up about things, but when he did, it really meant something to me. I just think about when his voice would raise and I would get goosebumps from all the adrenaline running. Still to this day it motivates me

sweet_lew
06-03-2009, 11:32 AM
I find when I'm using a barbell in any excercise (especially bench) if I squeeze the crap out of the bar (I just try to crush the metal into a dust), drive my feet into the ground, and let out a massive grunt (unvoluntary now), then I always lock out those final few reps... yeah I get weird looks in the gym but I could care less.

DavidJr74
06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Only time its hard to push out those last reps are on Squats and Rows, for me at least.

-Lucifer
06-03-2009, 12:57 PM
"Winner or loser - you choose."

BeastlyChange
06-03-2009, 04:32 PM
"Suffer now.. live the rest of your life a champion."

I usually say that to myself to keep me going.

correll28
06-03-2009, 05:41 PM
this has worked for me, maybe it will help someone else

ive split myself into two people. the one in me who wants to succeed and do good and WORK HARD is me.

my subconsious is another person. it isn't even me.

everyday i tell myself this. when i go to the gym, i fight that subconsious away. my body and i are on a team. we are going to push through the workout, no matter how bad it hurts and no matter what my subconsious tells me about stopping because its uncomfortable. i am trying to defeat this. my un-body is just telling me what i need to do to be average, and like everyone else. i dont need it, i hate this side. i want to defeat it everyday

shut off your mind, and go **** **** up with your body

7Happy7
06-03-2009, 08:41 PM
read thebook the power of now if you havent. you're talking about similar things that he talks about and YES it does work...especially on cardio when you view yourself in third person view....

andre3k1
06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
"Winner or loser - you choose."

"Suffer now.. live the rest of your life a champion."

I usually say that to myself to keep me going.

These are both fantastic!!

andre3k1
06-04-2009, 11:12 PM
"Don't quit. Ever." <--- for that small burst...

"Yes, it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. How on earth are you expecting to change yourself if you aren't willing to step outside of what you're used to, what you're comfortable with! GO, dammit! Shut the f*ck up and GO!" <--- if I'm really falling off.

another great one (in bold)

i'm srsly saving all these for later. awesome guys!

MattP343
06-06-2009, 02:04 PM
watch a doco called 'relentless enemies'' that has inspired me to lift heavy and go hard as possible.
This?? About a Pride of Lions?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9hhyi_wild-relentless-enemies_travel

TheOnlyMaestro
06-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Closing my eyes seem to help

Oh and silent yelling too lol

trance__dreamer
06-06-2009, 09:42 PM
i focus on my music. but i'm used to the pain now. by this point, i can tolerate it w/ complete ease, now.

i go to failure on each set. (i make sure the weight is suitable for the rep range that i'm doing for that particular set &/or exercise.) so, i let my joint & more importantly muscle tell me when to stop. when it can no longer do a rep due to the muscle giving out, that's when i stop; regardless if i'm in pain or not. & pain doesn't mean OUCH. i just pulled something. i'm referring to the burn, obviously.

nuno81291
06-06-2009, 11:24 PM
i always have tunes going, and I will make sure that during my last set of my last workout has a song that pushes me. fast rock/punk stuff.

spectre86
06-10-2009, 11:35 PM
usually dont struggle on the last few reps until im on the last few sets.

by then i just turn the music up and say " stop being a pussy "

it actually pisses me off because iv done the weight before. i dont mind struggling on reps when im increasing weight. but it just pisses me off when its weight iv done several times before. usually that gets me lit enough to finish through that last rep or 2.

when i increase weight and im struggling on that last rep, i just keep telling myself "its only 5-10lbs more, stop being a fukcing pussy about it"

i dont what it is though, but the difference on flat bench between 395 to 405 is night and day to me. i think its that mental block of finally being able to get up 4 plates.

blahh. ill get it soon.

Ironlife
06-11-2009, 03:39 AM

Yes, there is one scene when about 4 lions were getting cut and gored by this buffalo but to survive they had to kill him to eat! through the pain, mud and water they got him just inspiring to me.

-Lucifer
06-11-2009, 06:43 AM
These are both fantastic!!
Thanks bro. It works for me. :)

Always helps me wake up on time and go to the gym with a positive attitude.

andre3k1
06-11-2009, 09:38 PM
i focus on my music. but i'm used to the pain now. by this point, i can tolerate it w/ complete ease, now.

i go to failure on each set. (i make sure the weight is suitable for the rep range that i'm doing for that particular set &/or exercise.) so, i let my joint & more importantly muscle tell me when to stop. when it can no longer do a rep due to the muscle giving out, that's when i stop; regardless if i'm in pain or not. & pain doesn't mean OUCH. i just pulled something. i'm referring to the burn, obviously.

I've tried this and it hasn't worked very well for me. I am convinved that you can always push out one more rep; it's just about how mentally tough you are. If you've lifted the weight 10 times already, one more time is gunna make that big of a difference. Because of that I always give myself a target that I try to hit.

WTF? so random lol

Schoonie
06-12-2009, 02:05 AM
through pain such as cardio or planks.... i sing, sometimes out loud! but if i want a solid set of lifts, i picture myself getting in a fight with a kid/kids i dont like. i find it productive to put my "rage" in the weight room then on the side of his/their faces. an it RLLY helps on the last rep or 2!

Shadowcast
06-12-2009, 04:17 AM
I'm generally a very quiet, calm, and all around a nice guy from what I'm told... however for that last rep, I'll get pissed off... Failure is not an option. I'll get so angry at those weights that are holding me back... the rep is going to be completed. All of my frustrations throughout the day get focused into finishing what I started. Failure is not an option.

StrongestSperm
06-12-2009, 04:29 AM
this is a really great thread, i'm definitely trying out some of this tomorrow!

will report on results.

BrawnySwoleman
07-03-2009, 12:19 AM
-Up-tempo music

-Here's a great one: Pretend everyone in the gym is watchign you lift. You don't want to fail with everyone watching

-Think back to any time you've been called skinny, weak, or told you couldn't do something

euroinferno
07-03-2009, 06:50 PM
well since im soo skinny its usually "do you wanna be a toothpick the rest of your life"
and ya that usually helps lol :)

jmd92
07-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I usually tell myself that I have to do one more, then I yell a warrior's yell and try my best to get that last rep.

Gx7Pyro
07-05-2009, 01:14 AM
...i dont count the reps in my head. like you mentioned, it makes the sets last FOREVER. what i do is concentrate on my muscles. my muscles dictate how many reps i do, not some arbitrary number i made up beforehand.

-Lucifer
07-05-2009, 02:06 AM
...i dont count the reps in my head. like you mentioned, it makes the sets last FOREVER. what i do is concentrate on my muscles. my muscles dictate how many reps i do, not some arbitrary number i made up beforehand.
Good idea. I usually have a trainer, who is also a good friend, besides me so counting is not a problem. I just concentrate hard on my breathing and lifting.

VirusTi
07-05-2009, 03:28 PM
My workout partner once told me to focus on the bar (weight) and act like you're going to kill it.

"Treat it like someone just smacked your girlfriend "

It was kind of funny to think of at the time but if you can get to the intensity like you're going to destroy someone it helps push out the last rep.

Thats pretty much what Im thinking when im trying to push out my last rep

rozzr
07-05-2009, 03:44 PM
i just get my breathing going a bit faster before i start the lift then fuking push that weight like its the only thing that has ever mattered in the world!

just make myself feel mad and crazy fired up!! stims preworkout help

H34vyM3741
07-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Well I'm a big fan of anime, so I think of myself as a warrior training, when everything fails, and the training seems to be doing no good, the blood pumps in the veins, the energy bursts around the body, the character is lost in his own mind, drowning in a sea of determination and pride to the success.

Yeah, I'm more of a graphic version, I imagine pictures not sounds, sometimes I even have silent dreams.

When I'm pushing myself, I keep telling myself this is nothing, you're a ball of fire, consume that fat, transform u bitch... and I just go.

Josh Hyaduck
07-05-2009, 04:28 PM
It's simple, you either lift the weight or be seen as a failure. I, for one, have too much pride to be seen failing a rep. :D

warangel
07-07-2009, 04:57 PM
this has worked for me, maybe it will help someone else

ive split myself into two people. the one in me who wants to succeed and do good and WORK HARD is me.

my subconsious is another person. it isn't even me.

everyday i tell myself this. when i go to the gym, i fight that subconsious away. my body and i are on a team. we are going to push through the workout, no matter how bad it hurts and no matter what my subconsious tells me about stopping because its uncomfortable. i am trying to defeat this. my un-body is just telling me what i need to do to be average, and like everyone else. i dont need it, i hate this side. i want to defeat it everyday

shut off your mind, and go **** **** up with your body

bah...shut up and stop watching bleach! =) lol just messing with ya

StuartH.
07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
I tell myself that if I dont make it to ten... no ones going to notice anything or say anything different. I'll just stay the same and the day was pointless.

slimwealthy1
07-07-2009, 06:55 PM
breathing heavily and psyching myself out before a big set

swearing aloud to myself works for cardio

ibeteck
07-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I just concentrate raise up the volume on a good linkin park track and push out the last rep. Remember if you don't push your self no one will.

NBlifter
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Depends on the lift. I clear my head look at the weight picture all the muscles im going to use and pretend im turning them one by one till i feel the hairs on the back of my neck tingle and stand up, then i take a few quick hard breathes like this lift will determine the rest of my life its an obsticle i need to conquer. i pretend the weight is taunting me " you ****ing pussy you couldnt do it if you tried, your weak " Then i just think im gonna ****ing anhilate you and start repping it out till ive hit my target then i always push it for more reps then i thought.

oh yeah and forcefully breathing in and out and sometimes grunting While cranking "let the bodys hit the floor" on my ipod while doing deadlifts always helps me break my max weight.

Malakaibeats
07-09-2009, 04:30 AM
A friend of mine (practically a brother) joined the Italian Navy, a special branch of the Navy called 'Battaglione San Marco', equivalent to the Marines. He tells me about their training and what they go through and I just push those last reps thinking of how luxurious and easy my workouts are compared to his training.

PoundinThunder
10-15-2009, 10:54 PM
i usually go to the tv at the gym and flip to the military channel. they make everything i am doing look easy haha. even the women.

or i'll ask myself if I'm gonna let some hunks of metal and rubber beat me.

and as bad as this is, i have a real good friend who goes to the gym with me who is about 340lbs. i look at him and tell myself to go harder or i will be in his boat. and if we are doing cardio. also, for cardio, if someone else is running, i try to outdo them without hurting myself

AnimalDJ185
10-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Well I'm a big fan of anime, so I think of myself as a warrior training, when everything fails, and the training seems to be doing no good, the blood pumps in the veins, the energy bursts around the body, the character is lost in his own mind, drowning in a sea of determination and pride to the success.

Yeah, I'm more of a graphic version, I imagine pictures not sounds, sometimes I even have silent dreams.

When I'm pushing myself, I keep telling myself this is nothing, you're a ball of fire, consume that fat, transform u bitch... and I just go.

I hear you on that one Im the say way, Usually to gear myself up to get that last one out I just visualize someone i know with their life or wellbeing depending on that last rep.. Lol but thats just me ;p

UNHUMAN
10-17-2009, 10:06 AM
When I do chest workout I never think or how much I'm lifting I just imagine pushing someone bigger than me off or away from me. When I do arms I pretend I'm pulling someone up to save them. And when I squat I always play the scene that Arnold had to hold up the falling stone wall to allow his friends to go by.

Kyle_CM
10-18-2009, 03:57 PM
I generally stick to:

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten."

or

"If you do what you've always done, you'll be what you've always been."

Postal2aw
11-14-2009, 11:00 AM
When I get to those last reps I take some air in, and I think to myself: If I don't finish this last rep I didn't do a ****in thing!

The gym instructor keeps telling not to do things that are hard for me.
I answer: NO PAIN NO GAIN!

samcanadian
11-14-2009, 11:19 AM
I just sing Dragonforce lyrics really loud. It helps if they're playing on my iPod at the moment.

WE'LL SHOW NO MERCY AS BEFORE
WE'LL SHOW NO MERCY SLAY THEM ALL
TILL DEATH BECOMES US WE WON'T FALL
THE FIRE BURNS INSIIIIIIDE NOW PREPARE FOR WAR!

I get all pumped up and punch my dog in the face. I don't even have a dog, but that's how amped I get

UCFBuilder
11-14-2009, 11:47 AM
i start getting myself sycked up on the drive to the gym by listening to rock crazy loud...then i put my ipod on and when i walk in i just look at every fuk in that gym that is bigger than me and tell myself that if i want to get bigger i gotta keep going...no quitting....the quote..."you gotta want it" just keeps replaying in my head...i know that nothing is going to be given to me and i just gotta fight threw this pain right now...this pain is nothing compared to the pain of knowing that i gave in and quit

Deadlift.
11-14-2009, 11:49 AM
"Lightweight baby" - Ronnie

I think of the weight as being light, and I get it up there

murmagic
11-14-2009, 03:09 PM
nice1

TheFranchise714
11-14-2009, 03:45 PM
i lift without a spotter so i say to myself if i dont get this heavy ass weight up im dead. and sorry im not a pussy like u guys who struggle that bad

andrewpoleon
11-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Dorian ates mentality, if someone had a gun to your head, you would do 2 more reps easy.

themikediesel
11-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I think of 2 things:

- First is all the people who ever doubted me or told me I can't do something. This just seems to gets me pumped as hell to prove all the haters wrong.
- I picture myself pushing the weight or even more weight in my head. In that way I feel that I've already done it.

Surfacing
11-15-2009, 11:30 AM
"Stop your bitching and fight your way through it."

It's a song lyric.

samcanadian
11-16-2009, 01:07 PM
i lift without a spotter so i say to myself if i dont get this heavy ass weight up im dead. and sorry im not a pussy like u guys who struggle that bad

do you say that part at the end too? Isn't that a lot to say whilst pushing weight?

peequi
02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
hands down the only think i put in my mind before stepping foor in the gym is "don't think, just lift"...a lot of people think about **** too much and psych themself out

Old thread but good thread. Also I agree with the above statement. If it works for you do it, but for me I found that just doing it works. Don't think about it, just do it(Nike did not endorse this post)

HiddenSource
02-14-2011, 09:27 PM
i dont give a f*** what happens i'll keep pushing no matter what.

puremb
02-15-2011, 07:59 PM
I think of it as that last rep is where all my progress is taking place, and anyone who doesn't push out that last difficult rep is losing out on the most important rep of the set.

Deltoidbrah
02-15-2011, 09:20 PM
say to myself in my head " stop being a phaggot pussy, no room for backing down, if you stop now, whats stopping me from stopping next week." or various variations but with the same emphasis on if u stop now, whats stopping you next time.

DeronD
02-16-2011, 01:40 AM
I know it's pretty simple, but before and sometime during a lift I'll just yell at myself to, "COME ON!"

I think you should really let your personality out at the gym, I talk to myself and the weights all the time. Not loudly to disrupt someone's concentration, but I'll say, "ok weight, time to move, don't fight me" and when I get it I say "I got that one, weight"

or my favorite right before I do a set of say 6 I'll go, "come one, 6 big ones!" calling out to myself how many I'm going to get and saying it with confidence, like of course I'm going to get all six.

Stupid stuff, but the best stuff is stupid I think.

I like what Arnold said in pumping iron about the last couple reps, the pain period, is what separates the champions from everyone else.

how about, "Two more, Eddy. NO MATTER WHAT" That one helps me with squats.

schnell123
02-16-2011, 02:39 AM
I just think to myself: Later today when you get home, if you know that you didn't push yourself to the absolute limit you are going to be disappointed in yourself. If you know that you gave it everything you had you are going to be happy and proud. Which is it going to be?

selffirst
02-16-2011, 02:43 AM
I workout in my basement...Above my weight bench I wrote on the ceiling in chalk...Do it u puss*...seeing that helps me to squeeze another rep out....I also write motivational quotes like the impossible quote in my sig....Sometimes I do stupid shi* like screaming...you sexy beast...squeeze metal for papa...Sometimes I think of my ex...I experienced a lot of anger in that relationship...I visualize her seeing me now 50 pounds lighter....more muscular...Self

amsaguilar85
02-16-2011, 09:55 AM
i just think to myself (especially on squats) when im getting really fatigued and my muscle is wearing down. when i know i have that last rep in me i just think to myself

"The other reps werent ****, this is the rep that matters the most"

TrueQBN
02-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Being more jacked than the guys my ex-gfs have dated/are dating.

midniteOG
02-17-2011, 10:25 AM
ill usually count to 5 (1,2,3,4,5) then from 5 down to 1 (5,4,3,2,1).. works well...

laes778
02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
I remember the first minute of this video.

dV0m7RMVsro

Kylehero
02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
My saying goes like this

"Grow some mother****in balls, and stop being a B*TCH!!