PDA

View Full Version : I need help....i cant go to the gym by my self

h2xhardcore
05-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey, i dont know why i cant go to the gym by my self. i always like to go with a friend and if my friends cant meet me at the gym, i attend not to go to the gym that day. i dont know how to keep my self motivated enough where it doesnt matter who i go with it. i wana be able to go by my self but i find it allways that i wana go with a friend.
Any tips/motivation PLEASE

Idgaf
05-28-2009, 09:52 PM
On the days I really don't want to go to the gym, I just tell myself I have to, period. And I will normally take some type of energy supplement. For me, lipo 6. And just start driving to the gym. Because I KNOW that if I stay around the house and then have all that energy, I will be severly depressed that I didn't go to the gym. Or sometimes I will wait around till I start feeling a little energy. Put on the get the F up music and go from there. Then I am the wacko driving down the road trying to get to the gym. lol

Dressing for the gym isn't the hard part. Some shorts and a tee. That's almost what I sleep in. You just have to have the attitude that you are the only person that is going to keep you going or hold you back. And just like in the will smith video, you have a little voice inside of you that tells you that you want to quit. You have to overcome that.

darkartist81
05-28-2009, 11:07 PM
You just have to go a few times WITHOUT your friend, or without even the chance you friend will go. The commitment is yours, only you can mess it up.

It's hard once you have a steady partner to go alone, but it happens. Sometimes that partner doesn't have the focus you do, or he just doesn't care about it as much as you might. It's really best to make it a habit. Make it part of your routine. If you go early, wake up and have your clothes ready to go and your supplements (if you take any) ready to mix or take. Once you have that be a part of the daily grind, it's easy.

If you go after work or school, put your workout clothes in a bag in your backseat. Make it something that is just instinctive, a part of your work day. Go straight from work to the gym, so you are not tempted to get comfortable and waste time at home.

It's all about commitment, if you are serious about wanting to do this... just commit 100% and don't let anything stop you from achieving your goals.

heatlill
05-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Start tracking set/rep progress and setting strength goals. Make them short, realistic at first so you can build a desire to be there. Then make it routien, don't say " at 4:00 I usually go to the gym" say "at 4:00 I'm at the gym". It's part of your life, and it's not negotiable.

IMO fitness is the one thing you can be a little obsessive about.

red_hot_tamale
05-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Go to the gym with a plan. ("Tonight I will work legs")

Get an mp3 player. (Music motivates and helps drown out the distraction of other people)

Plan it into your daily activities. (If you include it in your schedule, there will be no reason not to go. Consider it "you" time.)

Start simple. (Go once a week alone, then twice a week, etc.)

You must be working out for you. Not for anyone else. Not because someone else likes to do it. Not to socialize.

DANtheFREAK
05-30-2009, 04:48 PM
its simple just DO WORK. but seriously plan out ahead of time what your doin i have the same problem, it is almost like "oh **** what do i do, **** it ill go next time" but if you have a plan of attack you will be more motivated plus think of it this way it will take less time and your out doin watever else you do.

-Lucifer
05-30-2009, 05:08 PM
That means you're not serious about bodybuilding.

Keep reading this forum till you can motivate yourself. I don't think anything we say will have any effect on you at this time.

FencingGal
05-30-2009, 06:05 PM
On the days I really don't want to go to the gym, I just tell myself I have to, period. And I will normally take some type of energy supplement. For me, lipo 6. And just start driving to the gym. Because I KNOW that if I stay around the house and then have all that energy, I will be severly depressed that I didn't go to the gym. Or sometimes I will wait around till I start feeling a little energy. Put on the get the F up music and go from there. Then I am the wacko driving down the road trying to get to the gym. lol

Dressing for the gym isn't the hard part. Some shorts and a tee. That's almost what I sleep in.

Word! I have sometimes been dead tired, walking out the door with one eye open. My gym is a 18 minute drive away, my energy supps kick in within 15...

I'm also issuing a strong 2nd on the "get the F up music" - find songs that get your head nodding and making a couple of playlists for the gym.

VoxExMachina
05-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Dude, c'mon.... suck it up and get to the gym. You don't need your friends, your mom, special weightlifting gloves, or anything else. You need determination and a will to succeed.

Doing it by yourself will give you a great sense of accomplishment, anyway.

Don't be weak. Go to the gym and take care of business.

roman209
05-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Train by yourself, get used to it.

Here are the pros:
-if you are late it means you are only waiting on yourself and it means you will finish later int he gym.
-you dont have to wait for anyone else to get there before you can start.
- you will very quickly realise you are beyond your friends and accordingly will need to do a different workout which does not just consist of bench and curls.
- you will spend more time working out and less time talking.
- you will be more focused because you are there for a purpose and you know what that purpose is.

cons
-you dont have a spotter for benching - yes thats it.
-you dont have someone to motivate you - but lets be serious - how many people motivate someone in the gym like yates training partner? definitely none of your friends would. They would rather stand there and talk to youa bout random ****.

ndruo
05-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah... this is your body.

Not theirs.

If you only work out when they work out, you essentially give them control over that part of your life. Oftentimes they won't even realize it, and won't try to keep you accountable. Maybe they won't even care.

Go for yourself. Go by yourself. Because ultimately, that's the only person who benefits (or doesn't benefit) from your time spent (or wasted).

If you wanna hang out with them, there are places to do it other than the gym. Go with purpose.

sykesy123
06-01-2009, 12:33 PM
same with me man
i allways feel im too weak to be going by myself and if im there with another person it seems more of a social activity if you get me
i guess we just gotta keep going with freinds until were massive and then maybe il have the confidence to go, you the same? or am i just a weird? lol

RomanPrice
11-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Hey, i dont know why i cant go to the gym by my self. i always like to go with a friend and if my friends cant meet me at the gym, i attend not to go to the gym that day. i dont know how to keep my self motivated enough where it doesnt matter who i go with it. i wana be able to go by my self but i find it allways that i wana go with a friend.
Any tips/motivation PLEASE

one of the things i look forward to the most is me and my ipod @ the gym. I find a great workout and dope music relieves a lot of daily stress. the post workout feeling is amazing!

that drives me to go on my own daily, i dont even take days off that much but to have light gym days with just cardio

mimitaco
11-28-2010, 02:12 PM
I believe when people go by themselves to the gym, it shows how serious they are about their fitness. Sometimes when you have a friend to go with you, yes it does make you more comfortable because you have someone else there whom you know but it can also have a negative effect in that it can cause you to deviate from your training schedule or just socialize too much. If the issue is comfort, begin making acquaintances in the gym. The person at the front desk or some of the trainers. You can start off with a simple, 'hey, how you doing?" Ask questions you may have and then as long as you have that acquaintance, you have some familiarity with your gym.

Just put some music on, rock the f*ck out and drive your ass to the gym.

vanzack
11-28-2010, 08:12 PM
one of the things i look forward to the most is me and my ipod @ the gym. I find a great workout and dope music relieves a lot of daily stress. the post workout feeling is amazing!

that drives me to go on my own daily, i dont even take days off that much but to have light gym days with just cardio

^^^^^^^^^^^

my thoughts exactly