PDA

View Full Version : Do "Low Fat" discussions piss you off?

Babylon1023
05-28-2009, 07:11 PM
It seems ever since I started losing weight I've been getting well meaning advice from a lot of people but it usually revolves around them getting excited about how good some foods are that are low in fat. Normally this wouldn't annoy me, but ever since I learned about the balanced role fat plays with carbs and protein to the only TRULY important measure there is: calories.

I almost never hear people talk about calories. It's always "low in fat this" or "X vs Y grams of fat" that. So many people are convinced that fat content is the thing to watch out for when it isn't! Not to even mention the carb nuts who act like a 1000 calorie porterhouse is so much better than a chicken sandwich because it's low carb! GAAH! They really need to spend half as much time explaining this in school as they did detailing the battle strategies of the Civil War!

/end rant

Own3r
05-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Carb timing and low fat both piss me of, I also can't stand the whole 30g of protein at a time limit bs.

Nutir
05-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Yup, I'm taking nutrition in college right now and I hate when my teacher talks about the FDA bull**** diet (high carbs, low fat, low-moderate protein), or how cholesterol will kill me (although studies are coming out showing the opposite), or how keto should've killed me (lived on it 6 month, am healthier than ever now), etc..

I ranted a bit about keto, but gave up quickly because everything that is not 1930-textbook nutrition is wrong for her. Same goes when I start thinking in calories instead of carbs/fat/protein..

FsuNole7
05-28-2009, 07:45 PM
It seems every other month there is a new study contradicting the old study...

I just eat good wholesome food, with "cheats" in between. Though, I am an Ecto so fat really doesn't stand a chance against my work ethic and metabolism.

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 03:02 AM
I f*cking hate that about weight loss. I know that individual bodies vary somewhat but by now with decades of research and modern science they should have discovered a rough universal truth to effective weight loss and exercise. That and it's so hard to distinguish legitimate discoveries with made up bullsh*t that somebody pulled out of thier ass to make money.

stancel
05-29-2009, 03:37 AM
Maybe low-carb diets can be as effective as low-fat diets, I don't know, but the reason the low-fat diet is recommended because it is deemed healthier. Healthier does not mean "better for weight loss than any other diet". It means healthier, maybe YOU can lose weight on a reduced calorie diet of candy bars and fried foods only (I wouldn't know), but it is not healthy.

dimasso69
05-29-2009, 03:44 AM
Maybe low-carb diets can be as effective as low-fat diets, I don't know, but the reason the low-fat diet is recommended because it is deemed healthier. Healthier does not mean "better for weight loss than any other diet". It means healthier, maybe YOU can lose weight on a reduced calorie diet of candy bars and fried foods only (I wouldn't know), but it is not healthy.

low fat is not healthier...people live pretty healthily on keto which is hm idk 65-70%fat diet

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 03:52 AM
As for the original subject, I'm not even talking about the "high level" educated discussion of specific diet plans, I'm talking about "low level" conversations with the mostly well meaning but sadly uninformed general populace. The ones who judge food by looking at the fat content and nothing else, or who have never counted a calorie but will unknowingly shovel fat in by the boatloads and avoid carbs like the plague. The kind I get blank stares from when I say food usually consists of only 5 things: protein, carbs, fat, water, and air.

DJohnson
05-29-2009, 06:07 AM
For sure. You can't really blame them though. Since the 70s everyone is has been bombarded with "FAT IS BAD" and all that. We know the truth and we're so against the norm that it pretty well makes us crazy conspiracy theorists. :D

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 06:11 AM
For sure. You can't really blame them though. Since the 70s everyone is has been bombarded with "FAT IS BAD" and all that. We know the truth and we're so against the norm that it pretty well makes us crazy conspiracy theorists. :D

Yeah, definitely the older office ladies are the ones I always hear talking about fat grams and their frozen lunches. The younger crowd is where I'll hear the occasional carb nuttiness.

lorinelise
05-29-2009, 06:25 AM
I bring people close to tears when I tell them that I eat 100g+ of fat every day, and that a good bit of it is saturated.

It's glorious.

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 06:31 AM
I bring people close to tears when I tell them that I eat 100g+ of fat every day, and that a good bit of it is saturated.

It's glorious.

Nice! How's the cholesterol looking? I haven't had my bloodwork done yet but I've been working out for over a year and started taking 2g EPA + DHA of fish oil to help out as well.

NDame616
05-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Some of you need to get off your high horses like the "typical" diet people on here preach is the be all, end all way to get healthy and lose weight.

Low carb works for millions. I know tons of people who lost tons of weight on Atkins/south beach etc. Low fat had also worked for millions. Before low carb was a huge craze, people limited fat intake and had great success.

People lose weight because they limit calories. If I had a hamburger patty diet where I ate 5 300 cal patties and nothing else, I would lose weight. If I had a diet where I ate 10 150 cal pieces of bread a day, I would lose weight. If I ate only salads throughout the day, I would lose weight.

All weight loss diets have similiar principles: reduced calories.

There's billions of people on this planet, and about .00001% of them do the whole "6 meals, P/C/F in each meal, 400 cals each" or whatever diet.

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 06:44 AM
All weight loss diets have similiar principles: reduced calories.

But what kills me is that most people are not consciously aware of this. They're sort of tricked into it as natural consequence of avoiding certain foods as part of the diet plan. I know people lose weight Atkins diets but they attribute that to carbs being the devil and not the caloric reduction, and many put it all right back on once they go to a "normal" diet because they never developed calorie counting skills.

NDame616
05-29-2009, 06:47 AM
But what kills me is that most people are not consciously aware of this. They're sort of tricked into it as natural consequence of avoiding certain foods as part of the diet plan. I know people lose weight Atkins diets but they attribute that to carbs being the devil and not the caloric reduction, and many put it all right back on once they go to a "normal" diet because they never developed calorie counting skills.

Atkins works because it eliminated "empty" calories from hundreds of cals from sugar and breads. So the typical person just won't eat that stuff, and therefore they could be cutting their calorie intake by 60% or so.

They go from pasta and meatballs to meatballs and veggies (save 200 cals) and such.

DJohnson
05-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Some of you need to get off your high horses like the "typical" diet people on here preach is the be all, end all way to get healthy and lose weight.

We're with you brah. The point of this thread is people who think "OMG! Kellogs low fat super-almond + extra sugar cereal as zero grams of fat! I'll just eat 8 boxes a day to lose the 30lbs for my wedding in three weeks!"

Dan290
05-29-2009, 07:18 AM
what makes me laugh is all the foods that are branded low fat and people deem it as a much healthier option, when the majority of the time the low fat item is actually replaced with lots of sugar to make up for flavour and highly processed. your body needs fat!

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 07:31 AM
what makes me laugh is all the foods that are branded low fat and people deem it as a much healthier option, when the majority of the time the low fat item is actually replaced with lots of sugar to make up for flavour and highly processed. your body needs fat!

BINGO! What kills me is that these companies can still make their bucks by advertising lower calorie versions, even if they just cut down the serving size by half and charge 65% of the price of the original. Instant profit, and I don't feel the need to throw good food away. Win-win!

dbarry14
05-29-2009, 08:26 AM

Exactly. Have you ever looked at the Prego "Heart Healthy" spaghetti sauce vs. their regular spaghetti sauce? Higher calories, higer fat, and higher carbs. That's why you have to read nutrition labels, not marketing labels.

Also what I hate is that I've lost 20+ lbs recently and someone says "Hey you've lost some weight". Inevitably it turns into a conversation about what I should do to lose weight that is different from what I'm already doing. Really? I've lost weight doing what I'm doing, and I should try your method? Why deviate from what's working? I end up smiling and nodding.

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Also what I hate is that I've lost 20+ lbs recently and someone says "Hey you've lost some weight". Inevitably it turns into a conversation about what I should do to lose weight that is different from what I'm already doing. Really? I've lost weight doing what I'm doing, and I should try your method? Why deviate from what's working? I end up smiling and nodding.

LOL! It's when people started noticing I was losing weight that the suggestions started rolling in on how I can "recreate" "low fat" versions of restaurant favorites and such at home.

back-in-da-game
05-29-2009, 08:49 AM
I hate pretty much ANY discussion about nutrition or weight loss unless it is on this site or with my wife.

Every single other person I have ever wasted time talking to about these subjects has been just that... a waste.

It seems that 90% of the population is completely clueless about fitness, nutrition and weight loss. And most of them want to believe there is some magic pill or method. If you lose any significant amout of weight or change your body for the better and it gets noticed you have likely been asked "how did you do that?".

Of course the answer is hard work and restricted calories (whatever type of diet you chose). But when you go into the details you are likely to hear the response "i can't do that". So you've just wasted more of your precious time and effort talking to another clueless person.

Sorry to sound angry about it all but when you work in an office dominated by weight watchers women (not saying that program doesn't work or that women can't lose weight) all you can do is put on headphones or get up and go to the bathroom all day so you don't have to hear another conversation about some fad diet or low fat this or somehow rationalizing how french fries are good for you.

Okay, I'm done now. Time to heat up my chicken and veggie lunch while the smell of Wendy's, Mcdonald's and the like permiate the office.

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 08:57 AM
One of those "Weight Watchers Women" in my office got sick of the gym and picked up something like this as a "replacement":

http://www.stores4mars.com/shop16/TAYLOR-GIFTS-Pic9.jpg

back-in-da-game
05-29-2009, 09:02 AM
A prime example of a "weight watchers woman" in my office is the queen of them who, every time they have an office biggest loser contest, says and does things that make me cringe.

The best one is after the weigh ins (which they usually do friday mornings) she marches right back to her desk and says something like "i can eat now" or "who's going to dunkin donuts?".

Right, because that won't affect next weeks numbers at all.

She's been on weight watchers longer than I've worked with her which is like 5 years and she hasn't lost a pound that I'm aware of!

*again, not that weight watchers can't or won't work... but I should have said that she's been PAYING for weight watchers for 5 years or more, not actually FOLLOWING it...

Eric-Navy
05-29-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.stores4mars.com/shop16/TAYLOR-GIFTS-Pic9.jpg

Thanks for the lulz.

I just got back from vacation which was also a family reunion and it was soo pointless talking to my family about what I've done to gain muscle / lose weight. I ended up just saying thank you for the compliment and changing the subject as fast as I could.

Good Thread!

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 01:26 PM
You're welcome. Nothing beats when your mother gets involved. You pretty much have to nod your head and smile because she really means well. :)

Nutir
05-29-2009, 01:52 PM

It's glorious.

We had a diet analysis assignement in my nutrition class, over the span of one week my average was:

2800 kcal (wait, I'm not even that fat)
227g protein (way higher than what she recommends)
126g fat (50ish saturated) (let's not talk about that)
968mg cholesterol (I think I'm supposed to be dead now?)
4000mg sodium (why isn't my BP 200/150?)

teacher wasn't happy with it :D But I'm still one of the healthiest people in my class, so fck her :p

Money Shot
05-29-2009, 01:57 PM
quite frankly, everytime irl i overhear a discussion or a comment about health or exercise, I thoroughly examine it to determine how stupid it is. usually peple dont know wtf they are talking about

Dr. Horse
05-29-2009, 02:42 PM
quite frankly, everytime irl i overhear a discussion or a comment about health or exercise, I thoroughly examine it to determine how stupid it is. usually peple dont know wtf they are talking about

You mean 99.9% of posts on this board?

Hey, that's why we're all here.

SaraSabrina
05-29-2009, 04:17 PM
BINGO! What kills me is that these companies can still make their bucks by advertising lower calorie versions, even if they just cut down the serving size by half and charge 65% of the price of the original. Instant profit, and I don't feel the need to throw good food away. Win-win!

I am in marketing and these "100 calorie packs" are one of the most genius ploys I've seen in my educated time. Complete genius to profit by charging more for less.

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 04:44 PM
I am in marketing and these "100 calorie packs" are one of the most genius ploys I've seen in my educated time. Complete genius to profit by charging more for less.

And I, for one, am glad to pay for it. What passes for "standard" or "normal" serving sizes these days is ridiculous. You know the size of a "small" fry and a "small" soda? When fast food joints first came out that was the ONLY size. I really wonder if the reason why obesity is such a problems is because kids' stomachs are stretched from a very young age and grow into adulthood needing larger amounts of food to feel satiated. That could be crazy, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

But yeah, now that I'm eating healthy I find I end up throwing a lot of food out because I get full faster and some foods just don't reheat well. Shame really.

ShayThor1989
05-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Here's a good idea, don't enter into conversations about nutrition unless you are specifically asked for input. Otherwise, you are bound to just be wasting your breath or grow upset at people's ignorance.

RapidFiyah
05-29-2009, 05:15 PM
I was snacking on some almonds and walnuts and one of my classmates told me all the fat in the nuts can't be good for me.

I lol'd.

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I was snacking on some almonds and walnuts and one of my classmates told me all the fat in the nuts can't be good for me.

I lol'd.

Well it does depend on whether you're aiming to lose weight or not. They are quite calorie dense. But OH so good. Gimme some honey roasted cashews.

RapidFiyah
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Well it does depend on whether you're aiming to lose weight or not. They are quite calorie dense. But OH so good. Gimme some honey roasted cashews.What?

Nuts are always good, whether you be bulking or cutting, full of good fats and minerals, fiber and potassium.

Plus, I'm definitely not trying to lose fat, don't ever think I will or will have to, to be honest.

Dr. Horse
05-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Plus, I'm definitely not trying to lose fat, don't ever think I will or will have to, to be honest.

Ah... to be 17 again.

stancel
05-29-2009, 05:59 PM
A lot of people get sold into it the moment they switch to the low-carb diet, and lose a lot of weight in the beginning, but this is water weight, because carbohydrates hold water in the body (hence the "hydrate" part of the word carbohydrate). So once a low-carb dieter "lapses" by eating a potato, they gain a few pounds because water can finally accumulate as it should. They freak out and guilt themselves over eating one of the healthiest things imaginable.

Dr. Horse
05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
carbohydrates hold water in the body (hence the "hydrate" part of the word carbohydrate).

Not the etymology of that word, btw.

stancel
05-29-2009, 06:02 PM

I lol'd.

Ever since I started eating peanut butter sandwiches my weight loss has been getting faster, lol.
But that would never be allowed under low-carb I guess, since I eat it with whole grain bread.
The point is to eat good fats and good carbs, however I still lean toward lowering the fat intake overall.

Babylon1023
05-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Ah... to be 17 again.

Lol! Just wait until he starts spending more nights out of the house than in. Or when he moves out on his own and has to make the choice between nutritious / expensive and fattening / cheap. Enjoy these years man.

Dan290
05-30-2009, 03:22 AM
Peoples ignorance towards a fitness lifestyle never fails to amaze me.
People think its unhealthy that i eat 200g of protein a day and even claim it cant be good for me, then they try and say that fat free foods are the way to lose fat. Iff this is the case then where are my other 2000cals a day supposed to come from? Just carbs?

I blame all the 'low fat' products and brands and the way they advertise them. People are brainwashed and convinced that this is the only way forward!

stathis723
05-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Even though Fats are Healthy... I go Low Fat while Dieting because im Starving and Foods rich in Fats are Really Caloric Dense which leads to lower amounts of Food.... prefer Eating 4 Cups of brocolli then a Tbsp of olive oil if u got me ;d

Babylon1023
05-30-2009, 03:50 AM
They say losing weight is all aobut goals. I realized one of my goals (far down the list, but still there mind you) is to actually lose all the weight I said I was going to lose, help my wife do the same, and have people dumbfounded at the progress we've made. When they ask how we did it, and if I'm lucky enough to find a program early on that I can stick to till the end, I can tell them exactly how I did it and watch the awe in their face as I shatter all the half assed myths they grew up believing in. I want to give hope to those who want to do the same, and relief to those who are just trying to maintain that many of the habits that drive them nuts aren't necessary. That, and I want to be able to teach my kids how to cook for themselves from the moment I can trust them within 5 feet of a saute pan. Oh, there will be vegetables, but there will be properly cooked and seasoned TASTY vegetables! There will be small portions of delicious yumminess instead of large portions of "low fat" blandness. Yeah, that'll make me happy if I can pull it off. :)

Simmo0508
05-30-2009, 03:53 AM
It's just how society is these days. Advertising thrives on "low fat" labels and the like, since the masses buy into it. Highly annoying i agree.

Word of mouth with things travel fast. He said she said, and people believe them without second thought.

Best advice i can give others is to never walk into a GNC. For serious. The **** they say is awesome hilarious. I could write a book about it lol

Babylon1023
05-30-2009, 04:07 AM
It's just how society is these days. Advertising thrives on "low fat" labels and the like, since the masses buy into it. Highly annoying i agree.

Advertising thrives on "low fat" labels because executives are too lazy and cowardly to do anything different. The people suck it up because it's usually the only easy choice that's offered. "Regular" or "Low Fat". If a major company decided one day that removing fat and subbing it with more carbs is BS and decides to come out with "lower calorie" products (that,among other things, feature smaller serving sizes), while yanking all their LF stuff off the shelves, how long do you think it would really take people to adjust, especially if it gives them what they really want? The people "demand" it because they know no other way, and product labeling the medium in which they "educate" themselves most of the time anyway.

Simmo0508
05-30-2009, 04:13 AM
I don't think it's so much cos these companies are cowards. They're just playing it smart and by the numbers. That's just how business is done.

If people didn't buy these "low fat", "lite" products, the food companies would most likely conjure up another little fad to scheme with and change to something else as equally stupid a.k.a introducing another sort of label to the mix to make the majority believe their product is nutritionally improved.

Babylon1023
05-30-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't think it's so much cos these companies are cowards. They're just playing it smart and by the numbers. That's just how business is done.

If people didn't buy these "low fat", "lite" products, the food companies would most likely conjure up another little fad to scheme with and change to something else as equally stupid a.k.a introducing another sort of label to the mix to make the majority believe their product is nutritionally improved.

...OR they could do the right thing by simply selling lower calorie versions of their products and marketing them as such. But some are afraid "the public" just won't get it and demand to see a big fat zero in the fat column, all else be damned. But they must be smart enough to know this is BS but choose to "play it safe", hence they're cowards. I, for one, think the public will gladly accept it if low cal products (with slightly higher fat than what people are used to for "diet" products) in place of low fat but high cal products. Just look at how well these '100 calorie packs' are doing. A lot of people 'get it'. I give it 10 years tops before the obesity epidemic forces people to learn just enough about nutrition to force the straggling companies' hands.

Dan290
05-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Even though Fats are Healthy... I go Low Fat while Dieting because im Starving and Foods rich in Fats are Really Caloric Dense which leads to lower amounts of Food.... prefer Eating 4 Cups of brocolli then a Tbsp of olive oil if u got me ;d

yeh theres nothing wrong with lowering your fat intake as it is more than twice as calorie dense as carbs and proteins, im just sayin that people believe that when something has 1g of fat in it they think thats 1g of fat your going to put on in bodyfat lol ridiculous.

Babylon1023
05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Honestly, I used to remember thinking that way. Specifically the thought: If I eat fruit snacks that have no fat they can't be bad for me. They REALLY need to teach this thoroughly in school.

Halfway
05-31-2009, 03:57 PM
why anyone would entertain a discussion about nutrition with the average person is beyond me. While I roll my eyes at 160lb kids and fatty-no-pictures on forums talking with such authority on things they clearly fail to put into practice, the prospect of having a convo with Chuck and Larry Beergut at work about , say insulin and lipogenesis is as attractive as hammering nails into my scrote.

Smile, nod, change the subject to the game last night. Or if with women, hollywood gossip

PopeGregorius
05-31-2009, 04:23 PM
the reason the low-fat diet is recommended because it is deemed healthier.
Huh? News to me.

I've just bought bulk "veterinary grade" cod liver oil. Now getting lots of omega-3, plus my coat is shiny too.

Blindead
05-31-2009, 04:26 PM

a low fat diet isn't healthy. are you stupid?

PopeGregorius
05-31-2009, 04:30 PM
carbohydrates hold water in the body (hence the "hydrate" part of the word carbohydrate).
Carbohydates are so called because they have the general stoichiometric formula (C H2O)n.

Go back to sleep.

Dr. Horse
05-31-2009, 04:34 PM
I find it ironic that most of the people complaining about this promote a low-fat diet themselves (if I'm not mistaken).

KoolDrew
05-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Pretty much all extreme stances piss me off. The idea that you have to be low carb high fat, or low fat high carb. There are few absolutes in nutrition.

MatrixReality
10-02-2011, 09:15 AM
I hate pretty much ANY discussion about nutrition or weight loss unless it is on this site or with my wife.

Every single other person I have ever wasted time talking to about these subjects has been just that... a waste.

It seems that 90% of the population is completely clueless about fitness, nutrition and weight loss. And most of them want to believe there is some magic pill or method. If you lose any significant amout of weight or change your body for the better and it gets noticed you have likely been asked "how did you do that?".

Of course the answer is hard work and restricted calories (whatever type of diet you chose). But when you go into the details you are likely to hear the response "i can't do that". So you've just wasted more of your precious time and effort talking to another clueless person.

Sorry to sound angry about it all but when you work in an office dominated by weight watchers women (not saying that program doesn't work or that women can't lose weight) all you can do is put on headphones or get up and go to the bathroom all day so you don't have to hear another conversation about some fad diet or low fat this or somehow rationalizing how french fries are good for you.

Okay, I'm done now. Time to heat up my chicken and veggie lunch while the smell of Wendy's, Mcdonald's and the like permiate the office.

I agree.

bertostare
10-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Low fat diet will prevent making you fat, and eating carbs after waking up and after your workout has an anabolic effect.

(lol totally not srs) (fkin discussions) (yes it makes me mad) (FAT = WIN)

NOTommy
10-02-2011, 10:39 AM
I sometimes want to slap my teacher ... that's a strong f*cking yes.

The other day she was talking about how to maintain, gain or lose weight. She came across the inevitable topic of portion sizes and how to measure your food. She draw a ****ing plate on the board, cut it in three different sized pieces, and said: 'Put pasta or rice here, meat here and vegetables here. If you do this you will lose weight.' She didn't even mention calories or macronutrients. It hurt, honestly ...

alex2363
10-02-2011, 10:41 AM

It's glorious.reped, me too

alex2363
10-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Even though Fats are Healthy... I go Low Fat while Dieting because im Starving and Foods rich in Fats are Really Caloric Dense which leads to lower amounts of Food.... prefer Eating 4 Cups of brocolli then a Tbsp of olive oil if u got me ;dI got you, it has less cals and it will fill you up more

Dujin77
10-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Maybe low-carb diets can be as effective as low-fat diets, I don't know, but the reason the low-fat diet is recommended because it is deemed healthier. Healthier does not mean "better for weight loss than any other diet". It means healthier, maybe YOU can lose weight on a reduced calorie diet of candy bars and fried foods only (I wouldn't know), but it is not healthy.Prove that low fat is healthier.