PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Have This Problem?

abrunn11
05-28-2009, 03:26 PM
It seems as though I have gone through my entire life being satisfied with mediocrity. If I need to lose weight I can go from 220 to 200 like nobody's business. I am extremely motivated at the beginning but lose interest once I have gotten to a comfortable weight. The problem with this is that I will never be exceptional because it is my mentalilty to quit once I reach comfortability.

I work in sales and can make as much money as I want. I work my ass off until I make enough money to be comfortable, to support my family, then I lose all motivation to move forward. Again, this prevents me from being exceptional.

It feels as though I have something in my make up that does not allow me to be great. This prevents me from reaching a lot of my goals that I set for myself. Numerous times I have given myself a goal of having 6-pack abs (me and everyone else). I usually go from 18-20% BF to 12%, start seeing more of my abs, then quit.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else has a similar disposition and if they have been able to overcome it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

05-28-2009, 03:33 PM
It seems as though I have gone through my entire life being satisfied with mediocrity. If I need to lose weight I can go from 220 to 200 like nobody's business. I am extremely motivated at the beginning but lose interest once I have gotten to a comfortable weight. The problem with this is that I will never be exceptional because it is my mentalilty to quit once I reach comfortability.

I work in sales and can make as much money as I want. I work my ass off until I make enough money to be comfortable, to support my family, then I lose all motivation to move forward. Again, this prevents me from being exceptional.

It feels as though I have something in my make up that does not allow me to be great. This prevents me from reaching a lot of my goals that I set for myself. Numerous times I have given myself a goal of having 6-pack abs (me and everyone else). I usually go from 18-20% BF to 12%, start seeing more of my abs, then quit.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else has a similar disposition and if they have been able to overcome it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

You need help.
jk
Think for the future not right now.

Elk888
05-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I know exactly what you're taling about!!!!! I'm much the same but over the years have overcome it. I discovered that it wasn't so much a natural gravitation towards mediocraty that did it but a fear of something new and unknown. The fear is actually ingrained deep in our psyche and will crop up in weird ways.

Imagine trying to close a client and you start using all the dirtiest tricks in the world...you got them in the palm of your hand...too easy...now imagine they are one of your parents. Could you close your mom like that? If you did, you would move up into the stratosphere of salesmanship "That guy will close his own mother"....but I promise you...if you did that, the next time a client walked in you would see them differently. You may not even be able to deal anymore because you have just crossed a personal boundary.

While lowering bodyfat isn't akin to being a douche on the sales floor, I make that comparisson because as far as our psyche is concerned, when you are used to carrying a certain ammount of weight, and you drop to levels lower than you're used to, it is just as traumatic. Think back...do you not recall a little fear of the new and unknown creeping in. It is THAT that makes me go "Nah, I've come this far...I'll take it easy for a little while" Fear of the unknown. It's normal. You're not a natural born average.

And the solution is to grit your teeth and carry on despite the weirdness and the fear. The longer you maintain it, the easier it gets. Work for maintenance. Humans are extremely adaptable. What is normal to you will be what you're used to doing. Who you're used to being. Just make it last one day more, one day more, one day more, one day more, one day more...etc...boom you're used to it!

That's my .02 based on 4 long years of analysis.

abrunn11
05-28-2009, 05:18 PM
I know exactly what you're taling about!!!!! I'm much the same but over the years have overcome it. I discovered that it wasn't so much a natural gravitation towards mediocraty that did it but a fear of something new and unknown. The fear is actually ingrained deep in our psyche and will crop up in weird ways.

Imagine trying to close a client and you start using all the dirtiest tricks in the world...you got them in the palm of your hand...too easy...now imagine they are one of your parents. Could you close your mom like that? If you did, you would move up into the stratosphere of salesmanship "That guy will close his own mother"....but I promise you...if you did that, the next time a client walked in you would see them differently. You may not even be able to deal anymore because you have just crossed a personal boundary.

While lowering bodyfat isn't akin to being a douche on the sales floor, I make that comparisson because as far as our psyche is concerned, when you are used to carrying a certain ammount of weight, and you drop to levels lower than you're used to, it is just as traumatic. Think back...do you not recall a little fear of the new and unknown creeping in. It is THAT that makes me go "Nah, I've come this far...I'll take it easy for a little while" Fear of the unknown. It's normal. You're not a natural born average.

And the solution is to grit your teeth and carry on despite the weirdness and the fear. The longer you maintain it, the easier it gets. Work for maintenance. Humans are extremely adaptable. What is normal to you will be what you're used to doing. Who you're used to being. Just make it last one day more, one day more, one day more, one day more, one day more...etc...boom you're used to it!

That's my .02 based on 4 long years of analysis.

That's awesome dude. Thanks for taking the time.

ouija818
05-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Wtf brah

thats exactly how iam.

once i start some thing and i feel like iam better then 50 percent of the people in the world i quit. i never go further. This time i started working out again after i took a 3 - 4 month break and before i took a year break i kept starting and quitting starting and quiting. ive been going for almost 2 years strong no giving up now. This wasn't only with working out but with everything even simple as video games. I would play world of warcraft like 5 years ago when it first came out and i reached level 30 and just stopped because i felt like i achieved what 50 percent of the people haven't yet kinda stupid way to think of it. We lose motivation over the road and some times we just got to find that little extra strength to push our selves over and over again. I think of it this way i stumbled along this path for so long it would be a shame to fall now.

darkartist81
05-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I used to do that to myself ALL the time. I think it's fear. I would never try to be anything exceptional at all, I just wanted to be safe and comfortable. It was almost like I had a fear of taking something as far as I could take it. I lacked the commitment necessary to fully dive in. I've tried working out at various periods during my life, but always harbored that fear that my body wasn't cut out for being in shape. That my genetics were off, or I wasn't strong enough and never would be, or whatever other excuse I would make up for not going all the way.

I would get to where things were showing a bit, like where I am right now, and I would say..."That's good enough for me!". I did this with many different things as I was making my way through life.

What changed? Well, nothing all that monumental. I got out of the military, but thinking back I was amazed at how much I had accomplished that I never would have dreamed possible. I met my Wife, and have the family life I never thought I would have. So I looked at this hard, and realized that nothing was holding me back from anything. Especially something as simple as just committing to a workout regiment and following it through. I mean, if I can repair jets on the flight deck of a carrier at sea...I can do this. If I could walk the streets of Tokyo at 2 am, drunk and penniless yet find my way back to the base (50 miles away) somehow, doing this is a walk in the park.

It was this realization that shattered that wall of fear I had in my mind. I decided that I was not going to quit once I had dropped the first 20 lbs, I was going to go full tilt. And I wasn't just going to work out, I was going to change my diet, I was going to enjoy life a bit more. Take more chances, LIVE!

After all, we only get one shot. None of us are cursed for mediocre anything, we write our own destiny and eventual epitaph. Why not put the pedal to the metal and get the body we always wanted?

Elk888
05-29-2009, 05:20 AM
That's awesome dude. Thanks for taking the time.

Negative on the sweat!!!

Meathead.
05-29-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm in similar boat regards some aspects of what you speak
I've gone down to roughly 8-10% with abs quite visible but not to my goal if being shredded, I'll stay steady for several weeks then just completely turn 360 degrees and go backwards instead of staying on the path

I think what happens with me regarding motivation is 3 things..

changing my mind too much, wanting to have the mass, or wanting to be lean and going back and forth between the two instead of just going all the way towards one and staying there

the other is, Life. it gets in the way. I dont care about about bodybuilding to stray away from family and friends, have no social life...etc although sometimes i want too, i want to just hide in the gym and my room and thats all, eat, lift, sleep 24-7

lastly, im never satisfied, nor content. its hard to get there, which is probably how you are. you go for something, get there and relax and its a never ending battle to continually set goals and reach them, but i like it because it keeps us alive, it keeps us busy. we will both get there. we just need to balance it all out and set priorities

HowieSt
05-29-2009, 09:01 PM
OP, you might want to stop and ask yourself what motivates you. Are you motivated to move away from what you don't want or towards what you do want?

If you use an "away from" strategy, the further you get from what you don't want, the less driven you'll be to continue. On the contrary, when you're motivated to move "towards", the closer you get, the stronger the pull. Kinda like magnets. :)

johnderriLLL
05-30-2009, 10:37 AM
i have a few questions to ask you.

how bad do you want this change?

what are you going to do about it?

-Lucifer
05-30-2009, 12:41 PM

Nothing wrong with that, bro. I am the same way.

"If it was easy, everybody would do it."

Djin
05-30-2009, 01:20 PM

This is normal. It's called progression. You get bored of things, and want to progress. But damn brah... you make it sound like you're better then everyone else. Self centered are we?

Human710
03-27-2010, 04:07 AM
Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real effort to make a good article...