PDA

View Full Version : Target rate of gain?

SpunkyStuff
05-28-2009, 12:34 PM
I've read some stuff saying you can only gain a couple lbs of muscle per month. Does this mean for someone [me!] looking to bulk up, that should be the target gain rate?

I used to just think "get it on as fast as possible," but does a higher rate of gain mean more of the gain will be body fat? I don't want to lose my cut, just add more muscle so there's more of that definition vs. the bones!

caa5000
05-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I'd aim for 1lb/week gain, on average. There are plenty of variables adding to this such as water retention.

What is your current size?

SpunkyStuff
05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd aim for 1lb/week gain, on average. There are plenty of variables adding to this such as water retention.

What is your current size?

Pretty embarrassing, I'm at 94lbs [up from 80-something in college], shooting for 110-115 range.

Is it a bad idea to pack it on as fast as I can?

VTRunner
05-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Wow, how tall are you? Thats pretty small. Even if you are only 94 pounds. Still aim for amout a pound a week. Then you can minimize fat gain. Make sure your working out at least 3 days a week too.

caa5000
05-28-2009, 01:13 PM
dude, at that weight, you just need to start eating. Eat a lot. I'm guessing you'll still make noobie gains where you could easily put on 4-5 lbs in a month.

start EATING!

caa5000
05-28-2009, 01:15 PM
just realized you're female... If you've never had a problem with weight gain in the past (you were always skinny) I'd consider just eating, a lot, as I said above. If not, aim for the 1lb'week.

Ruz4life
05-28-2009, 01:16 PM
dude, at that weight, you just need to start eating. Eat a lot. I'm guessing you'll still make noobie gains where you could easily put on 4-5 lbs in a month.

start EATING!

OP is a woman. She just needs to gain at a steady rate of 1 -2 pounds a week. She is doing well if she is up from 80 pounds which I think is way to small, but seems she is on the right track. Good luck!

IEatPowerRacks
05-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Considering your size, I would say go with 1lb/week.

SpunkyStuff
05-28-2009, 07:38 PM
caa5000: Well I have done the whole "eat more thing" for years now. It might work for gaining, but the whoe reason I am on this forum is because I want to build, not just gain weight.

Ruz:
I appreciate your optimistic perspective...I wish I were doing as well as you make it sound! I gained the original 10-15lbs when I started hitting the gym and counting calories, then all it took was 3 days/week in the weight room and 3000+ calories.

Doesn't seem to be doing the trick anymore...I was at 91 in January.

I'm getting mixed messages about how specifically to do this. From what I've sorted out so far I'm increasing cals by 500-1000 and lifting heavier, 3-5 days/week with new exercises.

Thoughts?

On the original topic--the message I am getting is that keeping it slow promotes muscle gain, where if I just try to pack it on I'll likely get more fat vs staying cut while bulking up?