PDA

View Full Version : What made you really motivated?

RUfootballDE
05-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Ok, I'm sure everyone is motivated to lose weight, but what got you really motivated? I know I'm motivated by getting in shape and having it pay off in the end, but what really got me motivated is what happened last night. I ended up going to the club last night to put an official end to the holiday weekend, and man did I feel out of place.

At 6'2, 229lbs, I'm no small guy by any means, but I felt short. Not only that, but the guys there looked like they were on steroids. I'm not saying I want to be like that, but at least be more muscle. That being said, it should be interesting to see how my workouts are gonna be from here on out. It's one thing to think about what you want, and it's another to see in person what it would be like. What about you guys?

ryux999
05-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Honestly, as shallow as it could be, impressing the girls or making everyone say "holy ****, that guy is jacked" is my number 1 motivation. That and for basketball, got to stay in shape for that.

SoulBurn18
05-27-2009, 12:07 PM
For me it's just the idea of making my body the best it can possibly be without the use of steroids. :)

ElvisC
05-27-2009, 12:18 PM
To prove a point.

Doesn't matter what your social status is: Geek, Nerd, Jock...whatever

Or even if something drastic happens, especially getting cancer.

If you put your mind to it and push everything negative away, you'll reach your goals.

JoshSD
05-27-2009, 12:39 PM
i just want to get strong

ryux999
05-27-2009, 12:50 PM
For me it's just the idea of making my body the best it can possibly be without the use of steroids. :)

ya that could work..but pisses me off too when people DO think ur on steroids even though u worked ur ass off.

heatlill
05-27-2009, 01:20 PM
The Fat to Fit Thread in the Show your pictures forum.

For the first time in my life I believed I could have visible abs, and now it's all I want.

I now...
can't wait for my workouts ( spin class included ).
workout somehow 7 days a week.
count calories on fitday.
eat < 2200 calories per day and at least 200 grams of protein.
have a before picture ( waiting to post it with a 60 Days after picture ).
have more structured weight work outs.
drink protein shakes.
am ~20 pounds lighter than I was a month ago.

imTKain
05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Being denied the girl of my dreams, who then got with some dip**** bodybuilder with no brain.

AlterEgoNYC
05-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Being imperfect when I was younger (small, poor, etc.).

Then I keep this in mind (paraphrase of old quote): the greatest human achievement is the perfect body crowned with a perfect mind. And then I strive for that achievement.

anth342
05-27-2009, 11:54 PM
what made me motivated was being beaten up in a boxing match

SoulBurn18
05-28-2009, 05:21 AM
what made me motivated was being beaten up in a boxing match

I had a friend of mine join me in martial arts. After a week or two he decided to enter a toughman competition and got his butt kicked. He then decided that martial arts and fitness weren't for him. The only reason he lost the fight was because his conditioning sucked and he refused to do anything to improve it.

That also counts as motivation.

-Lucifer
05-28-2009, 07:36 AM
This.

http://i39.tinypic.com/25kmwjd.jpg

darkartist81
05-28-2009, 07:47 AM
I just woke up one day, close to my 28th birthday and started thinking about my Mom. She died when I was 12 and she was 31. Being so close to her age when she died, I started thinking about my own health. I don't want to be the unhealthy husband or the fat Dad, I want to be better. I want to be there for them as long as I possibly can.

That, and I watched Pumping Iron again and realized that Arnold was 28 there. He was in the best shape of his life, and here I was with a gut and man boobs. I didn't want to look back at these years and think "those were my best years", especially considering that it would only get worse from here. So I took these two motivations and got my ass to the gym.

So now, when I am working out... all I have to do is think about my Mother or Arnold and I can keep going.

B-Neva
05-28-2009, 12:12 PM
on my 19th birthday I decided I didn't want to be skinny anymore. I lack self confidence (and still do) and figured lifting would bring it out of me. I've always been really skinny and going into computer science I didn't want to look like the geek who sits in his mothers basement. My motivation now is still the same and I want to compete and plan on doing that next year, if I can stand infront of 100's of people almost naked, I shouldn't be shy about anything.

RunningStrong
05-28-2009, 12:23 PM
2 reasons.

One, my dad is a fat-ass 240lbs. However, he was rather lean at my age due to luck rather than judgement. I realised I wanted to make exercise part of my lifestyle so no matter what came up, family, injury, work, exercise would never come second place and I wouldn't start going downhill.

Second, while I knew I was a nice enough guy to get along with and had many female friends, I think it's fair to say I inspired McLovin's appearence. And that just don't pull, so short of becoming abit too obsessed with hair and clothes and wearing contact lenses constantly I decided to work on building my physique.

imTKain
05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
This.

http://i39.tinypic.com/25kmwjd.jpg

His bicep is bigger than his head...

a_ahmed
05-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Honestly? LOL... what made me motivated and to get my ass back into shape after a pure downward spiral is seeing p90x before and after videos and p90x advertisment on tv :D I ended up getting p90x as well hehe... I don't do p90x now though but it's great motivation before and after pictures/videos of real people.

kshaft50
05-28-2009, 07:26 PM
seeing my younger bro get stronger then me lol

Live2Push
05-28-2009, 08:29 PM
the ladies :D.....and the satisfactory of my pushing myself to the limits and seeing how far I can go

Idgaf
05-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I went to a vacation spot in FL for a couple weeks and started going to clubs. There were hot girls everywhere but every time I went up to one, drunk or not, I got no attention. And now I have started looking at myself from the outside.

Yeah I am working out for girls but that's not the main reason. I am also working out cause I just don't like what I see in the mirror and it had made me a miserable man. I have been fit before and life was sooo much easier and more fun. I could talk to anyone and do anything. Goals were easier to achieve and I had the "Just f***ing do it. It's not that hard" attitude. And I liked looking in the mirror. Especially when working out.

Sob story over. Been hitting the gym for a month straight and the weight is coming off. Feeling better and getting more and more attention by the day.

Intercept
05-30-2009, 04:36 AM
Because training like a maniac is the only thing I'm good at

Lifter4Life59
05-30-2009, 06:20 AM
ya that could work..but pisses me off too when people DO think ur on steroids even though u worked ur ass off.

i agree, everyone thought i was doin steroids when i said i was bodybuilding, especially when i took animal cuts last yr and had to swallow about 20 pills a day for a few weeks. people dont understand when u bust your ass you get results

Mike7120
05-30-2009, 08:43 AM
For me, it was looking at a photo album and realizing that I have become extremely out of shape over the years.

Mike83
05-30-2009, 08:47 AM
What made me start was, I was over 320lbs, no motivation or desire, I just wanted to change!

Most importantly for myself, a sense of achievement that comes with the hard work and dedication.

To feel good about the way I look and portray myself onto others.

johnderriLLL
05-30-2009, 09:24 AM
i missed out on a really great girl during high school.

doing chinups for the irst time in my life at 22 or 23

showing all the people from highschool up, all they do is get fat and drunk.

changeing my life.

ryux999
05-30-2009, 02:47 PM
For me, it was looking at a photo album and realizing that I have become extremely out of shape over the years.

ya thats a big onee

Fatman2
05-31-2009, 07:21 AM
I've lived a fat life and it isn't that great, I want to try a fitter life (it's working out alot better so far). Weighing less then I did at senior school and being twice as strong, Old school friends coming upto me saying wow you've changed so much, spending ALOT of money playing online p.c games and realising I should be spending money on this world not a pixel world. Getting picked on at school for being fat. Something non-stressful to concentrate on long term in my life.

Grimbeard
05-31-2009, 07:23 AM
It's like channeling all my negative energy into something positive is almost a form of therapy for me.

localstommy
06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Mine was, when my dream girl said,"Tommy, your way to scrawny for me,we can never be toghether" Hit me like a fray train. So I busted my butt on training came really big and bam, forget her. I'm getting better girls then her. I thank her tho =).

Hoo-Haa
06-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I got sick of being heavy and not confident.,

Once I got into it then I've never looked back :)

ndruo
06-04-2009, 10:08 PM
There's a focus and mental strength that comes from forcing yourself to work out in the gym on a schedule.

I want it.

Also, there's a little bit of self-hatred. Looking at yourself and finally admitting "...I don't like my body." can be powerfully motivating.

BIGrob84
06-12-2009, 10:55 AM
1. For recognition: Girls especially :)
2. For Health
3. For Strength
4. For Intimidation

This life will be over before you know it. One day we will grow old and look back on life. I want to look at pictures of myself and be proud of the condition I was in.

SoulBurn18
06-12-2009, 10:59 AM
After this thread was started, it got me thinking about what really motivates me to go to the gym and train everyday.

Sure the muscles, girls noticing, looking better in clothes, etc is AWESOME, but that's not what really motivates me.

When I started going to the gym, my roommate and I decided to go together. We were both out of shape and I wanted to get back in shape and he wanted to get stronger, had no interest in looking good or being healthier.

After a few weeks, he quit and said he didn't want to do it anymore and he just didn't care. So instead he sits on his ass playing video games and eating whatever he feels like eating.

I lost a lot of respect for him over that and it motivates me to keep going because once I set a goal for myself, I don't quit and I refuse to EVER let myself be one of those guys who sits on their ass saying "I want to lose weight, I want to be stronger, I want to be healthier and look better" and not do anything to change it.

will76
06-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm not gonna lie... What got me motivated at first was to get the attention of girls... I've sinced learn that this is not enough motivation to keep me going. Upon my realization that I was actually making gains and transforming I began to realize that I can do this. Every little change that happens to me, is motivation for me. I look in the mirror and from there I assess the pros and cons and go from there. Perfection can never be attained and that's the reason why we keep pushing ourselves everyday at the gym. This is a double edged sword in that coming to the realization that perfection is unattainable can lead to the lack or inability to be motivated (don't look at it this way). Perfection is objective and is the root cause of it being unattainable. It's not you! Make perfection what you want it to be, NOT what others make it to be!

SoulBurn18
06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm not gonna lie... What got me motivated at first was to get the attention of girls... I've sinced learn that this is not enough motivation to keep me going. Upon my realization that I was actually making gains and transforming I began to realize that I can do this. Every little change that happens to me, is motivation for me. I look in the mirror and from there I assess the pros and cons and go from there. Perfection can never be attained and that's the reason why we keep pushing ourselves everyday at the gym. This is a double edged sword in that coming to the realization that perfection is unattainable can lead to the lack or inability to be motivated (don't look at it this way). Perfection is objective and is the root cause of it being unattainable. It's not you! Make perfection what you want it to be, NOT what others make it to be!

+1 Nicely put.

Khachikp86
06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I started working out about 3 years ago to look better. However, I was never fully vested into it. I told myself that this year was the year, that I was going to hit the gym HARD. And I did...but the real catalyst was when I fell for a girl. After that, I was going 5 days a week. 1+ hour each time, and playing basketball over the weekends. My diet was perfect and I made more gains in these 3 months than I ever had in the 3 years prior. Then the girl and I got into a fight and our relationship started to deteriorate (I have a thread about it in this section). I didnt go for a week, was basically starving myself, and had no reason to go to the gym. Or so I thought...after I slowly got over what happened, I discovered a newfound motivation. That I was going for MYSELF, not for girls, not for attention, not for anyone but ME and ME ALONE.

SoulBurn18
06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I started working out about 3 years ago to look better. However, I was never fully vested into it. I told myself that this year was the year, that I was going to hit the gym HARD. And I did...but the real catalyst was when I fell for a girl. After that, I was going 5 days a week. 1+ hour each time, and playing basketball over the weekends. My diet was perfect and I made more gains in these 3 months than I ever had in the 3 years prior. Then the girl and I got into a fight and our relationship started to deteriorate (I have a thread about it in this section). I didnt go for a week, was basically starving myself, and had no reason to go to the gym. Or so I thought...after I slowly got over what happened, I discovered a newfound motivation. That I was going for MYSELF, not for girls, not for attention, not for anyone but ME and ME ALONE.

Wow, that sucks. It's amazing how much of a drastic effect relationships can have on your training and nutrition. A guy I work with lost 20lbs because of his new girlfriend because she wanted him to spend all his free time with her instead of going to the gym. And then she had the audacity to complain that he'd lost so much muscle and she didn't like him being smaller.

Getfittimmy
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Browsing the photo gallery I came across a pic of someone who looks just how i want to look. Seeing my goal is gonna help me move towards it.

NorwichGrad
06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I got sick and tired of being a fat ass. Then I saw a picture of Frank Zane. He was 35 when he won his first Mr. Olympia. I was 36 when I decided to get rid of my slob old self.

will76
06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
+1 Nicely put.

yeah, i just find it always tough talking with people and hearing about their frustrations. they have this ill conceived notion that they need to be a certain way because everyone else is following the trend. i always tell people to do things for the right reasons not the wrong. working out should be a thing that you WANT to do rather than what you HAVE to do. That's when the initial motivation fades away. we all have a tendency to have this gusto to workout, but that gusto tends to fade because we no longer feel like want want this. rather, we have to because so and so is ripped, thin, you name it...

hope all is well with you!

Beech27
06-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I started going to the gym out of boredom, more than anything else. It was winter break, and I had nothing better to do. A few lifts later, and I was hooked. The way my body looked right after lifting, the endorphin rush -- Arnold was right when he said the pump is better than sex. It is absolutely addicting. But it's not just that. When one adopts a hobby, they want to excel at it. But what happens when one makes one's own body a hobby? You're confronted with it 24/7. Anything you don't like about it, you cannot escape. For those of us who are naturally obsessive, this leads to an obvious addiction. Is it healthy? I don't know. Some people tell me I'm too obsessed. They say that sacrificing junk food and sleeping in isn't worth it. I entertain the idea that they may be right. But then I hit the gym the next morning. I get a rush adrenaline, and an intense focus. Then the pump hits, and I know why. I don't do it for anyone else. I do it because I am my own hobby.

trlcavscout
06-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Seeing pictures of myself in the army when I was lean and mean, I miss haveing the confidence to do anything I wanted, now I am afraid to try stuff because I feel incapable. And I hate that!!!

superfob
06-13-2009, 03:02 AM
For me , no one in my family has had an education past high school so my parents sent me to the Us to play gridiron (football).My family isn't very wealth off so they were hoping for me to get into a college so i can get a degree with the possibility of making it big. My Junior year i only played 3 games then dislocated my elbow so i didn't get seen at all.

In my senior year i received offers from a couple of d1 colleges but found out that I was academically ineligible because i have never taken a foreign language ( not required in nz ).But i ended getting a full ride to a JC ( Arizona Western College ) for 2 years.

My parents spent a lot of money on me. To me , for every work out ive missed , for every rep i have cut short , is a another worthless hour of work my parents have put in to make up for it. I dont want to be "that kid " , that kid that had the oppotunity and blew it.

So for me its make or break , and this is what motivates me and has kept me motivated.

mariia
06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
My motivation ? Feeling confident with all clothes that I wear..I love feeling good... going to the beach without "fear" ... I love it... I love being fit... :)...

readyforthepain
06-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Marines baby!!

chmbs1
06-17-2009, 03:20 PM
I started going to the gym out of boredom, more than anything else. It was winter break, and I had nothing better to do. A few lifts later, and I was hooked. The way my body looked right after lifting, the endorphin rush -- Arnold was right when he said the pump is better than sex. It is absolutely addicting. But it's not just that. When one adopts a hobby, they want to excel at it. But what happens when one makes one's own body a hobby? You're confronted with it 24/7. Anything you don't like about it, you cannot escape. For those of us who are naturally obsessive, this leads to an obvious addiction. Is it healthy? I don't know. Some people tell me I'm too obsessed. They say that sacrificing junk food and sleeping in isn't worth it. I entertain the idea that they may be right. But then I hit the gym the next morning. I get a rush adrenaline, and an intense focus. Then the pump hits, and I know why. I don't do it for anyone else. I do it because I am my own hobby.

This is almost exactly the same as me. The pump is the greatest feeling in the world. I have pumps that feel like orgasms. That alone is worth it for me.

Rawsy_08
06-17-2009, 03:32 PM
i have quite a few things that motivate me, seeing some of you on here that just look amazing, also i like the attention you get from girls and also people in general saying youre looking better etc. But mainly the respect and confidence you get, i hate not being respected and people thinking i am small and weedy, lately i have got a bit bigger and people have respected me more :) cant wait til' i get how i want.

EDIT: by the way, just out of curiosity, when you sit down with your back straight does your belly hang over your boxers, even if its just slightly over them?

seubertw
06-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Getting in a car accident motivated me the most. I hit a pickup going about 90 MPH after I had been drinking. This made me realize that alcohol was a hinderence to me getting the physique I wanted.
Now, three months later I haven't had a drink and my progress in the gym has only been getting better.

silverlightning
06-17-2009, 07:14 PM
seeing other people with muscle

SoulBurn18
06-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Getting in a car accident motivated me the most. I hit a pickup going about 90 MPH after I had been drinking. This made me realize that alcohol was a hinderence to me getting the physique I wanted.
Now, three months later I haven't had a drink and my progress in the gym has only been getting better.

Wow bro, congrats on staying clean for 3 months. Reps for dedication.

SoulBurn18
06-17-2009, 08:30 PM
I had a "motivational" moment tonight. I was working out tonight, training arms, and I happen to glance up at the cardio area and notice these 2 girls watching me workout. I look up at them and they both smile. Everytime I glance up there, they were watching me.

Now bare in mind, I'm not in great shape by any means, but I have come a long way since I joined the gym with my strength and physique goals, so to actually have a couple of pretty girls checking me out while I was working out was quite motivating. It let me know that what I'm doing is actually working.

Individuality
06-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Breaking up with my GF I started eating out of depression and gained a good amount of fat. Took another look at myself and realized I'm better than this. Been living a healthy lifestyle ever since.

asylumz
06-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Because I have nothing else going for me so I might as well make what I got the best.. my body and mind.

Be selfish, you truly own only one thing. Yourself, make it the best.

thundrchickn
06-18-2009, 04:22 AM
The motivating factor that pushed me over the edge to get me in the gym is kinda jacked up. I'm in the military and I supervise 1 person and I had to reprimand him for doing something stupid. He doesn't respect me at all and it got outta hand. I have to have another supervisor now whenever I have to reprimand him (not because I got outta line but to keep him in line and to testify just in case). Well i now don't completely feel safe alone with him. i've been taking some martial arts and MMA stuff here and there so I feel confident in myself but it pushed me over the edge and has me lifting and running some serious cardio now just in case I need to defend myself til security forces shows up.

Bassist66
06-18-2009, 04:45 AM
I started lifting because it was a requirement on the high school football team, and I wanted to get as big and strong as possible to play to the best of my ability.
Once I got to college, I still worked out, but not as seriously until beginning of junior year, when on campus food and beer started catching up. So I got my ass back in the gym, got stronger and lost a lot of excess weight.
Since then, I realize that there's multiple reasons why I currently lift. I love being in good shape, and going to the gym makes me feel productive and good about myself. I love the confidence boost after a good weight session or after a challenging bout of cardio. It is nice to know that girls pay a little more attention to you, but I also love bettering myself for myself alone...there's no better feeling than knowing all your hard work is paying off, and you're bigger, faster, stronger, healther, etc then you were before.

Smitty1211
06-18-2009, 04:58 AM
Going through a divorce and doing the single daddy thing so it is a stress reliever. That and when my ex can see my progress pics it makes her all depressed and pissed, wich I love!

perfectionist6
06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Watching Pumping Iron helps for me! =D

jobber4eva
06-18-2009, 07:58 AM
What motivated me is the following:

Being 5'5'' 235 pounds (Before ever lifting weights)
Looking at a picture someone took of me at said weight and being freaked out at how I looked. Never realized what I looked like until I saw that picture (And I thought wearing black was supposed to be slimming)
Forget about running the mile in high school, I could barely walk the mile.
Loving to shoot hoops (and with great accuracy) but not being able to run up and down the court without breathing so heavy that my head felt like it'd explode.
Not being taken seriously (fat people are not taken seriously and are often thought of being lazy pigs)

Now I am at 185 pounds. Was at one time down to 155 pounds. My goal is in 10 pound increments until I finally get my abs showing. They haven't been seen since I was born...

thewayshemoves
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I used to be addicted to cocaine. I had tons of friends and money and women and I had that sexy drug body (not because I worked out, but because I was on a strict coke diet). Some things went wrong and I lost everything except my car and about 40.00. Literally everything, including clothes and food that was in my refrigerator. I lost most of those "friends" and I had a raging addiction that I suddenly couldn't feed. I started drinking because it's so cheap compared to the coke. Not that drinking helped the addiction, and at times it even made it worse, but it was definitely something to keep me from dealing with it sober. Eventually the beer and the terrible eating caught up and I had some serious health issues. I was hospitalized for awhile, went through some psychological stuff and a plethora of anti-psychotics. It was a terrible time. I did have a few friends left and this one girl who must really care about me, because she's still around through all this. One night, drunk as hell something just clicked. I started working out, I signed up here, I started eating right. Every time I get a craving to drink or the old craving to find some coke I start working out, before I know it the craving is gone and something inside me just feels...right. I was also taken off of my diabetic medications after a year of eating right and exercising and dealing with my body naturally (so much for incurable disease, huh?). I've never felt better in my entire life. My motivation was and still is to live, be healthy, be loved, and be myself, all of which I've never had until now.

jonnyshap
06-18-2009, 11:27 AM
mirror. i like to look at myself in the mirror and see all the changes to my body.

DuLac
06-18-2009, 11:37 AM
1st it was a picture of myself during a summer. I was 210 and probably 25% bodyfat.

2nd it was my poor cardiovascular health. Getting put on various medications before turning 30 was a bit of an eye opener. It is why i recommend cardio 4x/week to everyone, regardless of their fitness objectives.

3rd I do like being able to have useful strength, for planting trees, or opening jars, or other manual tasks like that. Being a fat weak man is never good for self-esteem.

metski
06-20-2009, 09:08 PM
started because i was sick of being the fat guy
wanted to build a better physic (spelling?)

ive lost 20kg/44lbs woo

willsong
06-21-2009, 07:45 AM
MY new motivation is Greg Valentino. I want guys to put a hand in their girlfriend's face when I walk into a bar/club to talk to me about getting jacked.

NorCalJR
06-21-2009, 08:26 AM
My motivation is seeing many of my family members taking horrible care of their health, and I don't want to be another one who just eats fried things all day and never exercises. I want to actually live my life without the obstacle of being unhealthy and not being able to do things cause of my weight.

SoulBurn18
06-21-2009, 08:28 AM
My motivation is seeing many of my family members taking horrible care of their health, and I don't want to be another one who just eats fried things all day and never exercises. I want to actually live my life without the obstacle of being unhealthy and not being able to do things cause of my weight.

+1 I see my family doing the same thing.

johnderriLLL
06-21-2009, 08:35 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/20/colby-curtin-california-g_n_218451.html

it just tears me up reading it.