PDA

View Full Version : A recovered Alcohoic/Addict and his secret...

Elk888
05-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Won't tell you my whole story except to say I'm 3.5 years sober. Started to work towards a healthier body 2 years ago and have been lifting in earnest for the last year. Progress is a happenin' !!:)

It struck me very early on that the tools I use to not feel the need to drink/take drugs, are the same tools I use to NOT get demoralised. I must stress that they do not "pump" me up...rather they nulify any loss of motivation.

Again, I won't bore you with the entire shabang...the info is out there if you want/need it...but one of the methods is called taking "inventory" whereby you analyse any feelings of resentment or fear and identify it for what it is. It's a neat little trick when you apply it to workouts.

It's based on 14 defects of character
**IMPORTANT: This list is a small part of a bigger picture. Inventory is a nessessary tool in recovery. I give this info freely because I find it helpfull and it is information that is shared freely amongst us Alcoholics, and something we believe can help anyone..non-alcoholic as well, but it is in no way mean't to be a description of how to get/stay sober...if you want that info I'll gladly help, as will the AA helpline.

Pride (what will people say)
Self Pity (why always me)
Self Centeredness (me, me, me)
Dishonesty (..this includes hypochrecy)
Intolerance (i simply won't accept that)
Envy (Wanting what others have)
Jelousy (Resenting the affection shown others)
Greed (I want more more more for me me me)
Sloth (Couch potato)
Glutony (6 Pizzas...again!!!)
Lust (selfish desire for sex)
Selfishness (unwilling to share what's mine)
Arrogance (thinking I know better than everyone else)
Impatience (I want it now, now, now)

When you feel yourself losing steam...not wanting to eat chicken and apples anymore...not wanting to get out of bed...not wanting to lift that set/that heavy/that many reps etc etc etc I have found that generally one or more of the things on the list is the cause. I see it/them as glowing red.
I personally recognise my not wanting to go to the gym at 6am as my Sloth (I just want to lay here in my own filth), my Glutony (I actually want to go to Starbucks and eat 3 muffins with a full fat Late), my Pride (I don't want my friends to think I'm nuts for going running at 6 am), my Self Pity (why do I have to run this early God when my friends don't have to), my Intolerance (I hate myself for not being motivated enough)

Looking in the mirror and getting demoralised: Pride, Self Pity, Self Centered, Impatient, Intolerant etc

I write them all down on paper and in a column and look at them. What the problem is, and what is glowing red because of it. Once they go down on paper it's up to you to choose: They can stay there, or you can carry them back into your head again. They usualy stay on the paper.

We also use the "Just For Today" card...there is one line that resonates more clearly for me with regards to motivation...:
"Just for today...I can do something for 12 hours that would appal me if I thought I had to keep it up for a lifetime."

Happy lifting folks!
Elk

blockmonkey
05-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Good job man, I'd say I am a recovering alcoholic because I don't think I will ever be able to drink again.

Self Pity, Self Centered, Impatient are all traits I suffer from. I also suffer from an extremely addictive personality and sometime obsess over lifting and exercising which usually ends up in me burning myself out.
Any ideas how to overcome that one?

iceguy2003
05-26-2009, 10:44 AM
This list just pumped me up. At first, I wasn't sure that it would apply to me, but really, it does. Thanks for the examples you posted, it explains how I feel sometimes, and what I need to do. No excuses.

weemonster
05-26-2009, 11:19 AM
your list when i read it was like getting told what i have been feeling for the last few years but unlike you i have not done ****all or anything about it as i say if you could box's some of your motivation up i would be your best customer i am even thinking about roids but don't know where to start and getting started at anything for me is not my best point but thanks it as me thinking and that's a big start for me just now

Won't tell you my whole story except to say I'm 3.5 years sober. Started to work towards a healthier body 2 years ago and have been lifting in earnest for the last year. Progress is a happenin' !!:)

It struck me very early on that the tools I use to not feel the need to drink/take drugs, are the same tools I use to NOT get demoralised. I must stress that they do not "pump" me up...rather they nullify any loss of motivation.

Again, I won't bore you with the entire shebang...the info is out there if you want/need it...but one of the methods is called taking "inventory" whereby you analyse any feelings of resentment or fear and identify it for what it is. It's a neat little trick when you apply it to workouts.

It's based on 14 defects of character
**IMPORTANT: This list is a small part of a bigger picture. Inventory is a necessary tool in recovery. I give this info freely because I find it helpful and it is information that is shared freely amongst us Alcoholics, and something we believe can help anyone..non-alcoholic as well, but it is in no way meant to be a description of how to get/stay sober...if you want that info I'll gladly help, as will the AA helpline.

Pride (what will people say)
Self Pity (why always me)
Self Centeredness (me, me, me)
Dishonesty (..this includes hypocrecy)
Intolerance (i simply won't accept that)
Envy (Wanting what others have)
Jealousy (Resenting the affection shown others)
Greed (I want more more more for me me me)
Sloth (Couch potato)
Gluttony (6 Pizzas...again!!!)
Lust (selfish desire for sex)
Selfishness (unwilling to share what's mine)
Arrogance (thinking I know better than everyone else)
Impatience (I want it now, now, now)

When you feel yourself losing steam...not wanting to eat chicken and apples anymore...not wanting to get out of bed...not wanting to lift that set/that heavy/that many reps etc etc etc I have found that generally one or more of the things on the list is the cause. I see it/them as glowing red.
I personally recognise my not wanting to go to the gym at 6am as my Sloth (I just want to lay here in my own filth), my Gluttony (I actually want to go to Starbucks and eat 3 muffins with a full fat Late), my Pride (I don't want my friends to think I'm nuts for going running at 6 am), my Self Pity (why do I have to run this early God when my friends don't have to), my Intolerance (I hate myself for not being motivated enough)

Looking in the mirror and getting demoralised: Pride, Self Pity, Self Centered, Impatient, Intolerant etc

I write them all down on paper and in a column and look at them. What the problem is, and what is glowing red because of it. Once they go down on paper it's up to you to choose: They can stay there, or you can carry them back into your head again. They usually stay on the paper.

We also use the "Just For Today" card...there is one line that resonates more clearly for me with regards to motivation...:
"Just for today...I can do something for 12 hours that would appal me if I thought I had to keep it up for a lifetime."

Happy lifting folks!
Elk

Elk888
05-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah, the list was a revelation to me. The main 3 when it comes to drink and drugs are pride, self pity and Self centerdness....they occur again and again.
I've personally found that arrogance and impatiance crop up regularly too throughout my life.
When it comes to the gym I can very quickly decide that I'm not making enough progress....sound familiar?
99% of the time, that is pure Arrogance and Impatience in a bottle! :)
How the heck do I know what is progress and what isn't? The mirror? Superficial. Have I studied physiognomy...or physiology? No! Have you?
Do you know for sure what progress your making? How do you know that your fat loss isn't exponential? Slow to start and then gets quicker and quicker.....patient enough to find out? You should be! That's the Impatience kicking in.
Etc etc etc

I have found that everytime something is starting to gnaw at me. Anger. Fear. Loss of motivation...I can usually, very quickly, notice the part that I am playing to cause it!
That's when it goes down on paper...back of a news paper even...or paper coffee cup! Just OUT OF MY HEAD! Once it's out it may not stay out, but its power will have decreased by 90%....if not...then you're overtraining dude! hahaha! Glad it's usefull. Google search if you want. Lots more info out there. Free!
Elk

Elk888
05-26-2009, 11:57 AM
your list when i read it was like getting told what i have been feeling for the last few years but unlike you i have not done ****all or anything about it as i say if you could box's some of your motivation up i would be your best customer i am even thinking about roids but don't know where to start and getting started at anything for me is not my best point but thanks it as me thinking and that's a big start for me just now

Starting is the absolute hardest part! It's all downhill from then on! :)

Elk888
05-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Good job man, I'd say I am a recovering alcoholic because I don't think I will ever be able to drink again.

Self Pity, Self Centered, Impatient are all traits I suffer from. I also suffer from an extremely addictive personality and sometime obsess over lifting and exercising which usually ends up in me burning myself out.
Any ideas how to overcome that one?

Ah the good ole "substitution". Lol. We've all been there.
Can't drink anymore? Can use drugs? Next thing you know your working out for 4-5 hours a day 7 days a week and steaming your food like an obssessive compulsive! :) lol
As with all things, my friend, if it starts to become a problem, then get the help you need. It's a load of bollocks when people claim they're incapable of seeing when it is a problem because they're "in it". Don't believe that hype. You KNOW when you're a mess. When things are skewed.
The trick is to ignore the FEAR associated with getting the help you need. Eg: You workout so much you burn out? Solution...don't work out as much! Aha......I can feel your bones tremble at that thought even from here! Scary thought right? But it's what you need! Must be done. Remember that bravery is not the absence of fear, it's being fearfull but carrying on regardless.
Elk

Elk888
05-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Did you know: The most powerfull 3 words in the english language are......(it's not I love you....)
.......Please Help Me.....

What do you think we're all doing on these forums ;)

Happy liftin!
Elk

taleofekati
08-21-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm a friend of bill's myself, been sober for, it will be 19 months here on thursday and my workout is well not my main part of my program, but a very healthy part of it.

it's neat. to consider where I was 19 months ago, and now.. not just without the drugs/drinking but just me physically. you'd i'm a picture of health today. You'd never guess I was an addict that went on week/month long sprees and had a body to show for it.

two things I had to fight. first, peoplet elling you that you are taking it "too far". at first i took their advice and slowed down and damn near relasped behind it. then I realized, I work out 2 hours a day 6 days a week. that's not overboard, that's just consistant. i dont' spend all day in the gym. that's their character defects not mine. I love my body today.

I really dont' get burned out that much anymore. I had one of those days wednesday and when I do i switch it up. I dont' want to make it a habit of not going to the gym again. i'm scared to get out of shape. so I went and did nothing but machines to play around with stuff i normally don't do, just to go to the gym. The gym is a safe haven (hint hint ) for me.