PDA

View Full Version : My caloric recording, am I over eating?

shawnjb
05-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Sup people.

I just started packing on the calories today because I'm planning on bulking.
So far I just finished my 4th meal of the day, including my PW shake and here is my caloric ratio.

Calories: 2,362
Fat: 18% (50 Grams)
Carbohydrates: 54% (333 Grams)
Protein: 27% (167 Grams)
(By the end of the day I'll probably end up consuming 2900 calories)
I've hear that a high carb diet is used for bulking, so I've started packing in more carbs, from veggies, potatoes, oatmeal, all bran, fruit/fruit juices etc in the morning and PW.

Currently I feel like I'm heavier than when my carb % was the same as my protein % (40/40/20 ratio), and back then I was only consuming about 2,000 calories per day if not slightly more.

So far I ran for 30 mins in the morning, then I cleaned the house alot, then did an somewhat intense weight lifting workout for 1 hour, then I did a little more jogging a bit after my workout, and later on today I'm going to bike for about 30-45 mins. Would this be enough excersize for me to be able to consume 3000 calories a day?, I'm 170 lbs, reasonably high metabolism, and I'm 19 years old. I just don't wanna consume too many calories and cause a heart stroke or liver failure from loads of proteins and carbs.

shawnjb
05-25-2009, 01:18 PM
bump

RapidFiyah
05-25-2009, 01:21 PM
You're doing way too much cardio.

shawnjb
05-25-2009, 01:27 PM
You're doing way too much cardio.

Should I lift more weights or something?, Im starting to feel stress on my heart cause of all the protein, I gotta do something do burn some calories. I guess I'm gonna run up and down my stairs then maybe some light weights.

shawnjb
05-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Anyone know what this slight pain is?, I feel it on in the left side of my chest, I'm sure its my heart. I read that too much protein can be hard on the heart..

CKO89
05-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Should I lift more weights or something?, Im starting to feel stress on my heart cause of all the protein, I gotta do something do burn some calories. I guess I'm gonna run up and down my stairs then maybe some light weights.

Dude, be careful with that mentality. You've got the "I need to burn every single calorie I intake" thinking. Your body requires calories for more than simply your physical exercise outputs. If you start fearing food and feeling you need to burn it every time you eat, you're going to experience the following:

- Depression
- Chronic fatigue
- Loss of bodily functions (hair growth, sex drive etc.)
- Anorexia

THEN your workouts will seriously suffer.
You need to start a healthy balanced diet/fitness routine that isn't extreme, immediately. I would advise you to seek professional help if you're finding that you can't control your exercise.

As for calories, don't think of it as "Do I DESERVE to eat X number of calories IF I do X amount of exercise?" Everyone's body is different, and it's important to find your personal needs for both function and progress. Just letting you know right now, staying very active (cleaning house, cardio everyday) in addition to a weightlifting routine requires a lot of calories. At 170lbs, you're definitely looking at over 3000 calories, more like 4000 if you're serious about gaining muscle mass.

Good luck, take it easy - DON'T SINK INTO THAT MENTALITY.

RapidFiyah
05-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Anyone know what this slight pain is?, I feel it on in the left side of my chest, I'm sure its my heart. I read that too much protein can be hard on the heart..It's probably you putting so much strain on your heart from all that cardio and working out at the same time.

I just pulled that out of my ass really.

shawnjb
05-25-2009, 01:40 PM
It's not that I want to burn every calorie that I consume, it's that I'm getting slight pains in my heart area, I am unsure if I am consuming too much protein for my body to use.

papasmurf2217
05-25-2009, 01:43 PM
167 grams of protein shouldn't be causing the heart pain. if i would have to guess i'd say it's from over activity like mentioned above.

shawnjb
05-25-2009, 01:43 PM
It's probably you putting so much strain on your heart from all that cardio and working out at the same time.

I just pulled that out of my ass really.

It could be.

shawnjb
05-25-2009, 01:47 PM
167 grams of protein shouldn't be causing the heart pain. if i would have to guess i'd say it's from over activity like mentioned above.

It might be because of this, I guess I will lie down for 20-30 mins to recover. Then I'll study some math problem solving for the canadian forces aptitude test coming up this month on the 15th.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep bulking.

How long should a bulking diet last anyhow?

papasmurf2217
05-25-2009, 01:50 PM
How long should a bulking diet last anyhow?

Only you and a mirror can decide this. Bulk until you feel you have enough muscle to cut down and look good...assuming that's your goal.

xl Achilles lx
05-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Dude, be careful with that mentality. You've got the "I need to burn every single calorie I intake" thinking. Your body requires calories for more than simply your physical exercise outputs. If you start fearing food and feeling you need to burn it every time you eat, you're going to experience the following:

- Depression
- Chronic fatigue
- Loss of bodily functions (hair growth, sex drive etc.)
- Anorexia

THEN your workouts will seriously suffer.
You need to start a healthy balanced diet/fitness routine that isn't extreme, immediately. I would advise you to seek professional help if you're finding that you can't control your exercise.

As for calories, don't think of it as "Do I DESERVE to eat X number of calories IF I do X amount of exercise?" Everyone's body is different, and it's important to find your personal needs for both function and progress. Just letting you know right now, staying very active (cleaning house, cardio everyday) in addition to a weightlifting routine requires a lot of calories. At 170lbs, you're definitely looking at over 3000 calories, more like 4000 if you're serious about gaining muscle mass.

Good luck, take it easy - DON'T SINK INTO THAT MENTALITY.

Solid post. Reps.

Theenforcer1
05-25-2009, 05:57 PM
your undereating, not over eating for your activity level.

CKO89
05-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Solid post. Reps.

Definitely sounds like he's slipping into a dangerous mindstate. Personally a tender topic for me, as you can see I'm currently 126lbs.

Cheers and hats off for acknowledging my post, Achilles. Reps back*

Own3r
05-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Cardio seems to be a bit high, you can just get away with the cycling post workout. Cause lets say you eat 3000 cals a day and burn 1k with cardio and another 300cals with lifting now that leaves you with 1700 cals that is probably even lover then you BMR. So you are already in a deficit without counting in all the other activities that you do during the day.
Its up to you, but I would decrease the cardio or increase the amount of food.