PDA

View Full Version : About to just give up...

MagicDrumSticks
05-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Seriously, I have read over a 100 articles and talked to over 50 different people and I'm just as confused as ever. All this workout stuff is so damn complicated, I don't and haven't seen results from the 2 months I've been at it. I've tried doing high reps with less weight and vice versa and neither worked.

I'm currently 5'4" male 135 pounds and I have a lot of fat on my belly and thighs. Now people are telling me to eat MORE, how the hell am I supposed to get a nice beach body look if I get even fatter?

It's just all so damn confusing and makes my head spin, someone please help me out @_@

Senecan
05-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Seriously, I have read over a 100 articles and talked to over 50 different people and I'm just as confused as ever. All this workout stuff is so damn complicated, I don't and haven't seen results from the 2 months I've been at it. I've tried doing high reps with less weight and vice versa and neither worked.

I'm currently 5'4" male 135 pounds and I have a lot of fat on my belly and thighs. Now people are telling me to eat MORE, how the hell am I supposed to get a nice beach body look if I get even fatter?

It's just all so damn confusing and makes my head spin, someone please help me out @_@

If it was easy then everyone would do it.

Stitch71
05-24-2009, 04:04 AM
If it was easy then everyone would do it.

this

they tell you to eat more because you cant build muscle eating next to nothing, you've probably read about bulking and cutting?

IJS
05-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Just lift heavy **** and eat healthy. If you've read all those articles you'd also know that CONSISTENCY is what yields results. The rest will fall into place.

SupaHeavy
05-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Eat Healthy,
Light weights 3 times a week (full body workout).
Cardio 3/2 times a week.

I GARUNTEEEWRq3w4r5123 U WILL SEA GAINS

NOW STFU AND ****ING LIFT KAY, NO1 SAID IT WILL BE EASY
AND DONT FUCING LISTEN TO THOSE ****ING PHAGGOTS WHO WRITE ****ING GAY ARTICLES STICK TO THE BASICS AND U WILL SE FUCING RESULTS.

imTKain
05-24-2009, 08:41 AM

Don't give up man! You might be building muscle and not even know it because it's covered! Don't just let the looks be your "results", have your partner or significant other take measurements for you.

People are telling you to eat more because we're on a bodybuilding website, where the main objective is to get more muscle mass. To gain more muscle mass you have to, as I've heard someone say like 30 times on here, "eat like a horse". Do alternating bulks and cuts, but just remember, you're only going to gain as much muscle as you can when you eat a lot.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what YOU want your body to look like. If you want to be skinny, fine, cut cut cut, eat 1600-2000 calories/day and do a ****load of cardio. If you want to bulk, cool, EAT EAT EAT, but do it healthily, and do only 3 light cardio sessions/week.

Like another response said, if it was easy, wouldn't everyone do it? It's just something you have to dedicate yourself to like a sport, since it kinda is a sport. Look in the mirror. If you're happy with what you see, fine, do what you were doing before. If you think you can look better, the only thing stopping you is effort and determination.

Best of luck to you my friend.

LILJOCK
05-24-2009, 08:57 AM
i agree with these people, but if your main goal is to get that beach body, i would say do good cardio 2-3 times a week, lift 2-3 times 3 sets of about 10, and like others said eat healthy, and avoid junk food. you should eventually see at least some progress.

-Lucifer
05-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Eat more of the GOOD stuff. Lots of protein.

Docker
05-24-2009, 09:52 AM
to answer your eat more dilema think of it this way

say you have 5 cans of coke a day thats going to be like 1000 calories so your already half way to your daily maintenance but if you take away those empty calories you need to make up for it with whole foods which are not full of so many calories.
Which in turn means you need to eat more than you used to but better.

hope that helps you understand

RudyJ93
05-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Like other people have said just watch what you eat and follow a routine. If you are going for a beach body I would say go for high reps with lighter weight. As for food I will assume you know what you need to eat by reading many articles. Good Luck and just don't quit, lifting is a real pain in the butt but in the end you will be happy with what you see.

VoxExMachina
05-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Look, when I first read your post I was going to say: good, give up. That leaves more plates at the gym for me. You have only been at it for two months and you want to give up? You better work on willpower first.

Now, to be more constructive, I will repeat what others have said:

1. Lift heavy, each body part at least once per week. Make sure you are REALLY working, not just going through the motions.

2. Eat Healthy. Stop drinking sugared soda, if you are. Stop eating sugary foods. No High Fructose Corn syrup unless you are on Survivor. Eat whole wheat bread and pastas, not white. Count ALL your calories accurately.

3. You may actually have to eat MORE. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but if you eat a really small amount of calories, you metabolism will slow down and you will lose less fat. Do cardio 4+ times a week if you want to lose fat, and make sure to eat 400-600 calories less than you burn.

4. Stick with it. You can't change your body overnight. You didn't get out of shape in two months, and you're not going to get back in shape in that amount of time. You might be gaining muscle, it's just hidden by fat. You might be losing fat, but adding muscle keeps the scale the same.

5. Don't try to digest all the various information on here. Stick with the basics and you'll get plenty of results. You can worry about all the subtleties later.

Lifting Heavy and Regularly + Eating Right + Sticking to it = Results.

MagicDrumSticks
05-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys. So eat more but also do cardio?

Can I bulk and cut at the same time? If so how?

Also I believe I'm an endomorph. Science has always been my worst subject so please let me know what kind of foods I should be eating. Examples please!

johnderriLLL
05-24-2009, 04:24 PM
hmm dont take this the wrong way but you need to stop reading and pick a plan to follow. then just do it.

my diet that i follow is take a 9 inch plate and cut it in to quarters 1/4 carb 1/4 protein 2/4 green veggies.

imTKain
05-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Can I bulk and cut at the same time? If so how?

Simple answer, unless you're a genetic freak, no. It's simply not possible for your body to be in a catabolic and anabolic state at the same time.

iceguy2003
05-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Simple answer, unless you're a genetic freak, no. It's simply not possible for your body to be in a catabolic and anabolic state at the same time.

Not to be the one going against the grain, but I believe you can lose fat while building muscle by eating soley lean meat foods. Only tuna, some chicken now and again, but mainly tuna and lots of veggies to keep you full. I've been dropping waist sizes and hardly losing weight, while gaining strength. Don't eat fatty foods, and there won't be fat. Think 'clean bulk'. Your diet is what you are.

Josh Hyaduck
05-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Just lift heavy **** and eat healthy. If you've read all those articles you'd also know that CONSISTENCY is what yields results. The rest will fall into place.

Simple and to the point. Best advice of this thread imo. It's really not as complicated as people make it out to be, follow the basics and everything will fall into place.

MONDO78
05-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Simple and to the point. Best advice of this thread imo. It's really not as complicated as people make it out to be, follow the basics and everything will fall into place.

EAT, Go heavy or go home.... nuff said

IrishPilot
05-26-2009, 07:39 PM

Agreed. Most around here take lifting, nutrition, etc. SO seriously that it becomes quite daunting. Leave the forums for awhile and just lift and eat with a solid routine and healthy diet.

Skylite212
05-26-2009, 07:47 PM
OP If all else fails try to see if your gym has a Personal Trainer.

Its there job to help you not be confused about lifting and routine. If money is tight you could do it 1-2 a week and eventually you will pick up little things from them to where you might not need them after 3-4 months

Hope this Helps

Lexodus
05-26-2009, 07:58 PM
patience lil homie...patience.

Gordon Bombay
05-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Haha man, only two months in and starting to give up? Let me cheer you up. I haven't seen any visible muscle gain in the last 12 months (started working out in late 2007). Why am I still lifting weights? IDK. 2 months is nothing.

Murder
05-27-2009, 09:43 PM
if u are already thinking about giving up then i suggest you give up, it takes alot of dedication . go back to the basics and stop reading all those useless nutrition threads

darkartist81
05-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Don't give up man. This lifestyle may be hard at first, but if you stick to it... it's not all that bad. In fact, it gets a LOT better.

First off, I would start looking very closely at the food you eat. Cut out sodas and junk food altogether. Drink water, lots of it. It will keep you hydrated AND will fill you up and keep you away from the bad foods. If you must have the caffeine, drink tea. Also take a multivitamin.

Replace white bread with wheat bread, or wheat tortillas, or wheat pitas. Eat lots of green veggies, or beans, wheat rice or pasta instead of reg pasta and rice. Eat more fruits, berries, bananas, etc. Get a good Whey protein and use it. It will help you in your quest to have more small meals throughout the day instead of 3 huge ones, which will speed up your metabolism and help you lose weight.

Just think clearly when you are at the grocery store, stay away from boxed dinners and anything loaded with saturated fat. Just be smart and pick some enjoyable food that is a bit healthier. Chicken breast, tuna, lean turkey or lean beef. You will be fine if you do these things. I also highly recommend joining a calorie counting site like Fitday.com or something similar. It will help you keep track of your foods and even help you figure out a good calorie amount to aim for. It's easy and will make you more conscious of your choices.

Hit the weights 3 times a week, push yourself and try to enjoy it. But just don't go overboard, as you want to keep your motivation at a decent level to start. You can ramp up later if you so choose.

Cardio 3 times a week or more, just a good solid jog for 20 minutes. Be sure to remain hydrated throughout.

All in all, stay positive and have fun. I promise you, that if you keep at it... you will see results and be much happier in the long run. Just stick with it.

anth342
05-28-2009, 12:38 AM
dont give up!!!
what ever you do

MRob1
02-26-2010, 05:57 PM
ya man dont give up