PDA

View Full Version : Has life ever got in the way of your lifting aspirations?

Donster
05-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Getting married in 7months...need to get into shape big time..

Work/CPA Exams/life/personal **** have got in my way of getting back to my best in terms of lifting and building muscle.

Been lifting for approx 4 years up until lastyear. And truth be told i look in terrible shape at the moment.

Lost a ****load of muscle, and have a tyre forming round my waist.

Is 7 months enough time to get back on form and regain lost muscle?

I am by no means a fat ****. Still have some muscle, just nowhere near what i used to be like.

I am centering my lifts around Riptoes. Compounds such as squats, deads, presses, rows etc.

Feels like i am learning all over again as its been so long since i last lifted a weight.

bb24
05-23-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a full-time job, am married with a 2 (almost 3) year old daughter, and am going full-time to school for a PhD. Not to mention all the other things I do (extra duties) for my work that take up a tremendous amount of time.

So yeah, I know where you're coming from. I've learned over the years that, though I may never reach that "perfect" body type, I can do the best I can, and at the end of the day, that's all I can do. If I don't hit it on one day, I do my hardest to hit it harder the next day. Live life to the fullest, man, no matter what you do.

It's not what you lack, but what you have that makes the difference.

johnderriLLL
05-24-2009, 06:08 PM
when u start working 10 hrs of overtime a week or more and working 6 days a week it starts to wear on you but you still have to hang in there.

nothing will take the place of persistence.

Ironlife
05-25-2009, 02:25 AM
Its all about alocating time for things and organisation, if you get these down quickly then youll go far in your journey.

MRob1
02-26-2010, 05:56 PM
just gotta make time for it man

domzkidot
02-28-2010, 02:09 AM
i have the same problem. i have a son and a wife plus im in law school. its really hard. last month ia had bouts with hypertension my cardio told me im good though my theory was i got that because i wasnt exercising for a month. my kid was confined in the hospital, i had exams for a week and then deadlines for our law review. got back to lifting and been feeling great. i just put in whatever time i can in the gym because right now my priority is my family and finishing law school. i keep my gym time strictly under 1 hr and just time management and self-discipline all through out.

paulb72
02-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Life constantly gets in the way most of the time. Myself had major career upheavals late November and took until January to get reorganised and go out on my own and back to a job of physical labour. In that time early on left the gym alone and came back to it when around the same time as the new job. Hard to get back into and seriously had to modify what I was doing in the gym, as physically the body was toast early on.

Pacing yourself and making the time no matter what is the important lesson. Yes, at times it gets damn near impossible to get it all in, just need to manage what you are doing. Even if PR's are out of the question and energy is low, getting in there and just going through the motions is a help. Once you get into each workout things improve and are successful. Time and energy management is the hardest thing but allocating time and comitting to it is critical. Reorganising priorities and finding the balance are the key. Figure out what you can do and when and things get better and easier