PDA

View Full Version : Quitting smoking, HELP

fishpat86
05-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I am trying to quit smoking at the moment and so far have failed miserably, I managed to quit for 5 weeks but failed a few weeks ago. Attempted to quit again last monday but have been smoking in the evening, I live with a smoker so i've got temptation everywhere. The reason I want to quit is aside from the health benefits I feel it is hampering my progress in the gym. Does quitting make a noticeable difference in my physique. I'm quitting no matter what i just need some more motivation

Cheers

kiwidave1
05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I used Chantix, best ****e ever. I have tried using the patches a couple of time and also tried Zyban but nothing worked for me like Chantix. With the patches and Zyban I always wanted to smoke but couldn't eventually I would break down a have a cig. On Chantix I don't want to smoke.
That said after 11 months I started again at the beginning of the month I started again due to some major stress. anyway the clock started back up on Monday so 4 days down the rest of my healthy life left :)

Good luck, cigarettes really, Fing suck!

http://www.chantix.com/

otakutie
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Does your roommate smoke in the apartment? Can you ask him/her to smoke outside if possible?

Do you run at all? Running is the one thing that motivates me to quit smoking. The more I run, the more I see how much smoking hampers my progress (not to mention how much my lungs feel like ****e). :D

This is from my own personal experience: I'm currently trying to quit as well (quit cold turkey for a year but then started up due to stress/personal life) and while running is motivating me to quit, it's not as motivating as it was the first time... I've heard it's harder to quit the second time around and it's proving true in my case. About 3 weeks ago, I tried 2 supplements, xTend and Aerobityne. I've noticed lately that my desire to smoke has been decreasing significantly and I'm pretty sure it's because of something in these supplements since I haven't changed anything else in my daily routine and in fact am getting increasingly stressed trying to make a career change.

Both supplements contain different ingredients except for Citrulline Mallate. When I did a search on it today, one of the articles on bb.com briefly mentioned that it had been used to stave off alcohol/tobacco cravings... so maybe its the CM that's killing my craving for a smoke or the combination of all the ingredients? I'm not sure...

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Anyway, think of it this way:
whiter teeth,
you'll stop smelling bad (i.e., reeking of smoke) unless you febreze yourself constantly *heh*,
your skin will start looking more elastic/youthful (since you've stopped depriving your body of much needed oxygen),
you'll prevent the onset of early wrinkles typical of smokers, and
you'll be able to workout harder at maximum effort which in turn will yield a better physique and a greater workout euphoria...

Good luck!

Forgot to add: if you live in NYC, you can get free patches/gum...

Ted Nugent
05-21-2009, 03:12 PM
if this doesnt motivate you i dont know what will. look at these everyday or read about cancer patients, im pretty sure hearing those horror stories will curb the urge to smoke.

http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bmurphy/student/images/Smokers_Lungs.jpg

http://thealistchannel.com/mommynose/smokers%20lungs%202.jpg

willck425
05-21-2009, 06:28 PM
becomeanex.org is a great support system to quit smoking. And best of all it's free.

nukelovesyou
05-22-2009, 12:14 AM
I started smoking at 11, within a few years I was smoking 1-2 packs a day, at 21 I smoked at least 5 packs a day, when I decied to quit finally I went on to patches for 2 weeks to nothing and haven't smoked for over 1 1/2 years. The biggest thing that helped me was carring around a Bic ink pen I had taken apart behind my ear, and when ever the urge kicked in I would just breathe through the pen as if I was smoking. I noticed I got over the nicotine really fast, it was more the habit of smoking and having to do something with my hands that body craved to do for months after.
I'll never smoke again though, at 21 I felt like a fat 60yr old, getting winded going up steps, sick every winter all winter, migranes non stop, can't smell or taste anything. Almost 23 now and i'm the lightest and in best shape I've been in years and the smell of ciggs make me sick to my stomach, but I feel my lung span is that of a small childs:(.
Does it hinder your physical capablities? yes. Does it affect your apperance? yes (smokers get nasty wrinkles too early in life, and their fingernails, teeth and hair change to that gross yellow) I regret ever touching a pack to begin with.

fishpat86
05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Cheers, I'm doing it monday and for good this time, I'll run till i'm sick that'll show me

F*****G nicotine, I'll show you

Red9
05-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Hey man I was able to quit while living with 2 smokers and yes it does make it harder, but in some ways, it actually helped. Things that motivated me were, not spending like over a $1000 every year to slowly kill myself, not stinking like **** and always being self conscious about it, actually being able to breathe while lying on my back, having clean teeth and breath, not being surrounded by ashes and ash trays and all that nasty ****, not waking up every morning and having to cough out all the crap in my lungs, not having to worry every time I heard the word lung cancer, throat cancer, etc., not feeling weak and ashamed that I was a slave to cig's, not helping some fat **** get rich off my death, and the best one of all, being able to taste food and enjoy it! Good luck, and just realize you are much stronger than you think and no stupid ass cigarette can defeat you.

hardorsoft
05-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Gum was my best friend for the first month of quitting. In 2 days it'll be 2 months and I can't even stand the smell of cigarettes any more. My teeth are almost back to white again, I get disgusted thinking about how yellow they got from smoking for 3 years. Food tastes and smells amazing now (no joke). Pretty much everything red9 said. Best thing I've done for myself.

Cravings were a bitch though for the first 2-3 weeks, especially when someone was smoking around me or when I was drinking. I actually had to stop drinking for the first month just cause I always felt like I needed a smoke when I was drunk.

Z00_Y0RK82
05-24-2009, 08:36 PM
I smoked for 10 years and I quit cold turkey. I kept myself busy in an out of the gym. When you get bored, find something else to do and try and surround yourself with non smokers. Obviously that will be difficult but try to let him or her know you are trying to quit, and have them stop asking if you want to go out for a smoke break. Good luck.

seriouslifter
05-24-2009, 08:59 PM
smoking is NOT that bad if lets say you have 1 - 2 cigs a day here and there. Like maybe a pack a week. im not talking about a hardcore smoker obviously thats very bad and will catch up, but i dont think lets say a pack every 2 weeks or whatever wont kill ya who knows.

Dtae787
05-24-2009, 09:19 PM
smoking is NOT that bad if lets say you have 1 - 2 cigs a day here and there. Like maybe a pack a week. im not talking about a hardcore smoker obviously thats very bad and will catch up, but i dont think lets say a pack every 2 weeks or whatever wont kill ya who knows.

***** you best be trollin.

KageKaze
05-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Just make up your mind and DO IT. Don't back down, don't give in, don't let anyone bargain with you or talk you into "just one".

This is about your willpower, your desire, your sheer guts. There are no half ways. It's cold turkey, man. Don't be the guy that can't, be the one who conquers!

Get mad, get angry, get motivated! Sure it's tough. So is anything worth beating. Don't puss out. You weigh 1,000 times more than the cigarette - so beat its ass!

PROVE to yourself you can do it! Be the man!

Good luck, bro.

MiscMurph
05-24-2009, 11:10 PM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q231/rmurphy02/smoking_timeline_2070x1530.gif

matt297
05-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Try Allan Carr's 'easyway to stop smoking'. I read the book but you can get the dvd or go to one of his clinics (which offer a money back guarantee). I totally advocate the system. You dont really have to do sweet FA just read the book (smoke during it too!). Best ?6.99 I ever spent. And trust me, if it doesnt work, what you learn with through the book will keep you going WHATEVER method you then use.

RIP allan

Tx-6
05-25-2009, 10:26 PM
I smoked for 10 years and I quit cold turkey...

...then i set a date that i would quit...all because i wanted to quit, i didnt care how much i felt i needed to smoke, because i didnt want to smoke, if you keep on smoking its because you choose to, if you stop its because you choose to

^^^ That pretty much sums it up for me.
The bolded parts FTW

You will DO it!

iothar
05-26-2009, 07:04 AM
I chew and I'm quitting that now.

No horrible pics please they make me puke.

I do 1 dip a day at most now. I didn't have one last night. 2 the night before. 1 the day before, 0 etc so it averages out.

I'm on my last can and broke.

GL to you.

2.0Tsunami
05-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Try Allan Carr's 'easyway to stop smoking'. I read the book but you can get the dvd or go to one of his clinics (which offer a money back guarantee). I totally advocate the system. You dont really have to do sweet FA just read the book (smoke during it too!). Best ?6.99 I ever spent. And trust me, if it doesnt work, what you learn with through the book will keep you going WHATEVER method you then use.

RIP allan
same here...I tried chantix, gum, patches...everything. It was the only thing that got me to quit.

Crush$Original
05-26-2009, 08:51 AM
think about it in terms of your wallet, and how much more money youd save every month to spend on something that lasts and wont kill you.
if u chill with ppl who smoke, it makes it so much harder. if you do, stop associating with them for a week or 2, til u get used to not smoking then go back to ur social life. worked for me.

quietchef
05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
No easy way around it. It's tough.

Mark Twain--"Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it a hundred times."

I'm at one year now, and the only advice is hang in there, one day at a time and you'll make it. More importantly, you won't die from not having one, right?

Good luck bro.

FsuNole7
05-26-2009, 09:10 PM
I smoked for 7 years, a pack a day...

I quit because I got into some hot water, and had one of those "God I'll do anything if you bail me out" moment. Well, I said, I'll give up smoking.... and sure enough 3 years later, I've only fell off the wagon 2wice (i.e. smoked 2 ciggs in 3 years when I was intoxicated).

It was hard, but my advice is...

#1. You got to distance yourself from ANYONE who smokes. Ya just got to...

#2. No drinking for awhile "." If you drink, you will fail.

#3. Most importantly, you gotta to WANT TO QUIT.

This is my theory on quitting: You got to draw a line in the sand, and declare a war against smoking...view it as the enemy... an imaginary enemy that calls you weak and challenges you, personally. Villianize it. Imagine that the ciggerette is (which ever guy in your life that is your worst enemy, taunting you.)

You got to view ciggs as an enemy out to destroy you... because that's exactly what they'll do.

SpamTech9
05-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Ive had a couple friends who successfully quit with Chantix. Its funny that one of the warning side effects is "suicidal thoughts" One of my friends did mention wacky ass dreams on it though.....

kiwidave1
05-27-2009, 07:54 AM
wow, there is some really great advice on here.

Ive had a couple friends who successfully quit with Chantix. Its funny that one of the warning side effects is "suicidal thoughts" One of my friends did mention wacky ass dreams on it though.....

lol, yea, I am back on it after a slip and damn skippy, I forgot how the dreams can be, every night, the most vivid dreams ever. The only down side to this is that I am still waiting on a wet one, as I am sure I be blowing holes through the bedspread :)

RIP allan

Yea well worth the money, I didn't quit after reading it but it did help me when I first stopped. The biggest thing I got from the book was not to envy smokers. I use to see people smoking and thought that they had to be sooo happy to be smoking that cigarette but realized after reading the book that they envy me and would rather be not smoking a cig, that really helped when I first quit.

Good luck to you.

perz16
05-27-2009, 02:20 PM
good luck

fishpat86
05-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Well I'm two days in now and so far have been o.k, got myself some patches from the doctor and i also got a nicorette inhalator. I'ts a weird plastic tampon looking thing which you put a cartridge in and suck like mad. It tastes like **** but helps with the cravings. Also anyone in the U.K thats planning on quitting but worried about the price of patches, gum etc... go to your doctor and get a prescription, and ask about purchasing a 3 month prepaid prescription card, unlimited prescriptions for 3 months. Sweet as F**K. Otherwise the course the doctor suggested would've cost me 86 pounds
so i'm saving 56 pounds or some new more 15kg plates.

Cheers for everyones advice and good luck to anyone currently trying it themselves

tensortrucks00
05-27-2009, 03:39 PM
i used to smoke a pack a day and have been quit for a good amount of time now.

1-go on this forum call quitnet.com , it is a forum with other people who have quit.. this is what really my wheels rolling and understnding the quitting process **trust me it will help so much
2- first 2-3 weeks are going to be hell. your going to want a cig so bad it will hurt. Do whatever u have to do so you dont smoke
3- Dont romance the cig.. you cant be saying "o what a good time for a smoke"... look at smoking as a bad thing which it is but, your junkie addict mindset will play tricks with you
4- follow this rule N.O.P.E---- NOT ONE PUFF, EVER!! that is the golden rule .. you are addict , you cant have any of the drug--- not even one puff!

Again go on quitnet.com..
i credit my quit to the people on quitnet.com

Sniper_308
05-27-2009, 04:11 PM
I have been smoking 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day for the past 20 years. I tried to quit several times over the past few years with patches, cold turkey, gum, etc... and just never could muster up enough "will power" to quit for longer than a day or so. One day while at my doctors office, he recommended I try Chantix and gave me a prescription. I started my first dose a week before my 42nd birthday and was still smoking and enjoying every puff I took. On the 2nd week, the dosage goes up and you are suppose to actually quit. That 2nd week was on my 42nd birthday of this year and I can proudly say that I have not smoked one since that day (Feb. 13 2009).

I'm not saying Chantix is for everyone but it was my miracle drug.

Good luck and I hope you do quit as I feel so much better now without them, not to mention the money I save :)

ktheboywonder
05-27-2009, 05:06 PM
do you guys have anything for dippers? Iv been dipping for 3 or 4 years. I just recently stopped smoking all together and now I want to stop dipping before I get home from Iraq. Any advice would be nice.

polgas
05-27-2009, 11:33 PM

RIP allan

same here...I tried chantix, gum, patches...everything. It was the only thing that got me to quit.

this. I'm two years smoke free because of this book.

MarlowDoyle
05-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey man, I have quit since the first week of september, 2008. I would reccomend doing everything possible to get away from the roomate who smokes. It's very serious. Move if you have too. It's your life we are talking about.

Quitting has to do with how much you want out of life. Don't listen to people who say they can't quit because it is too hard... that will keep you weak. You need to seek out and surround yourself with people who have quit long term.

I actually wrote an e book on how to quit. check the link on my signature. It will seriously help you.

MarlowDoyle
05-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I agree 100% with tensortrucks. I actually discuss many of the things he is talking about in his ebook.

MarlowDoyle
05-29-2009, 09:22 PM
sorry, my ebook rather. He's right, the first step i took towards quitting was admitting that I was a drug addict.

I discuss many other things in my book as well. CHeck it out. I have a free sample from one chapter.

You can quit man, it's easy.

blastertech70
05-30-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm not reading every post and I am sure there was some great info shared. I quit almost ten years ago cold turkey and never looked back. I plan to use the same plan on my weightloss and new healthy eating lifestyle.

I always stated there are (2) two reasons you will quit smoking. Either you realize it is terriable health risk and you will want to quit.... OR you will get terrible news and someone will (doctor) tell you you have to quit....your choice !!

When you finally had enough of coughing, choking puking your lungs out, smelling like a ashtray and offending most everyone your around and taking a giant chance on your health and life and leaving your children/loved ones at risk....you may quit.

max-t10
05-30-2009, 05:06 PM
I won't read any of the other replies either, because I think they are all interested in your health, the reason why I am writing is because I feel sorry for you-to be honest.

I don't mean to sound patronising but I think you really need to take a step back from smoking and understand what you are doing. Think of where tobacco comes from how it is manufactured etc and finally how your system handles so much unatural heat. The reason why I quit was when i started training, if i remeber correctly i was using the lat pulldown and i got really winded and my sleeping was terrible. So I made a decision either: 1. my health or 2. smoking. I chose my health and I was 16 when i quit having started when i was 12. if i did it at 12 im sure a big man like you can do it IF YOU REALLY WANT IT!

Forgive if i come across arrogant because i know it's not the easiest thing in the world but i would say take your mind off it and just do it, dont make it into a bigger issue then its not.

Good luck

MarlowDoyle
05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Blaster, that's awesome man, 10 years.... that's incredable. people who are trying to quit need to hear your voice./... often times they are listening to weak people who always complain that quitting is too tough and that they just can't quit. smokers trying to quit need to surround themselves with people who have quit and know that it really is easy.

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/conquer

djvirtue2002
05-30-2009, 08:06 PM
do you guys have anything for dippers? Iv been dipping for 3 or 4 years. I just recently stopped smoking all together and now I want to stop dipping before I get home from Iraq. Any advice would be nice.

Sunflower seeds and a really good mouth cancer scare. Thats what worked for me. Its been almost a year now. Turned out I didn't have mouth cancer. Just a build up of tissue, but that feeling you have sitting in the dentist's office. Waiting to find out is enough to make you wish you never started!

MarlowDoyle
05-30-2009, 08:18 PM
no joke, my friend died of cancer from dipping... it spread to other pars of his body.... he didn't dip that long....

I don't know too much about trying to quit dip... i only did it for a couple of months... i stopped when i looked in the mirror and say that part of my inner lip ws missing.

I'll tell you this though.... you can do it, its easy.

my book still might help you... i just don't know what dipping withdrawals feel like. Much of the content I discuss proably still relates

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/conquer

or you can try whyquit.com

MarlowDoyle
05-30-2009, 08:19 PM
whyquit.net

JolietKev
06-01-2009, 08:25 AM
I smoked a chewed while in the Army. After I got out I stopped because my smoking was associated with those who I hung around and drinking. After I became a Christian I stopped going out to the bars and drinking. That was a big change that enabled me to stop. I am not sure if I would have stopped if I continued to hang around my smoking and drinkig buddies. Its amazing that they do not want anything to do with you if your not drinking right along with them.

DanGK
06-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Today is your lucky day my friend:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=8130758#post8130758

Tears4cali
06-02-2009, 08:27 PM
So how are you doing? My last smoke was Sunday night. Since I'm trying to lose weight I thought why not try to stop smoking too. Its going to be hard to go back to work Thur and not smoke but ... Im going to give it my all. Wish me luck.

Averagebeast
06-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Negative reinforcement doesn't really work in my experience, the last thing a smoker wants to think about is his own mortality. You think someone who smokes for more than a decade wakes up every morning thinking about all the damage that's piling up? No, smokers are experts at denial.

TBH, I would just get into a barfight or something, then get thrown into county jail for 2 weeks. That will give you a good headstart, probably the cheapest option too. You wouldn't beleive how many smokers are in there suffering along with you, it's like having your own support group.

JediMindTriK
06-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Roll up a **** ton of marijuana leaf/shake joints and just smoke them, the smoke will fill your lungs and it won't keep you high all day so you can smoke like 10-15 a day. Then quit the shake and stay on the bud. Cigs are bad mmmkay

geodio25
06-28-2011, 07:42 AM
I am trying to quit smoking at the moment and so far have failed miserably, I managed to quit for 5 weeks but failed a few weeks ago. Attempted to quit again last monday but have been smoking in the evening, I live with a smoker so i've got temptation everywhere. The reason I want to quit is aside from the health benefits I feel it is hampering my progress in the gym. Does quitting make a noticeable difference in my physique. I'm quitting no matter what i just need some more motivation

Cheers

After years of my yo-yo quitting, I've finally gave them up smoking for good (or at least I'm hoping). I've been using nicotine gum and I still feel like I quit cold turkey. Last week I had a eureka moment after seeing my 2 pack a day friend using an electronic cigarette so he wouldn't have to leave the poker table. I've been using them every since. I've found that is wasn't so much the nicotine I was craving but the thrill of lighting a cig up and taking a drag. The cravings are still pop up sometimes, especially since I work at a bar and every five minutes someone is taking a cigarette break without (boy do I miss it sometimes). But all in all its working it's working. I suggest you try them out see if it helps and if it doesn't carry around a picture of the lungs of a smoker, that is sure to kick a craving here and there. LOL!!! YOU CAN DO!!

dday39
06-28-2011, 07:48 AM
The best thing you can do is try. There are many methods that can be used. Try each one until you find something that works for you. Just because you stumble, doesn't mean all hope is lost. Just try again. Eventually, you'll do it.

I tried patches. They worked for a bit, but I started again.

I was able to quit cold turkey.

schm0
06-28-2011, 12:19 PM
great tips I'm about to start trying to kick the habit myself.

johnross456
06-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Why not try an E cigarette? You still get the nicotine, but you're removing tobacco from the equation. No tar or anything.

HalcyonDays
06-29-2011, 12:46 AM
Have a heart-to-heart with your roommate and ask him/her to not give you cigarettes, even if you beg for them.

If you mess up and buy a pack, flush them after you smoke that first one and realize what you've done.